The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canesbaby

LaRose "demotion"

Really? How can you put one of the guys only scoring goals back on the fourth line? And if you are going to do that, at least double shift another solid player other then Brookbank. LaRose definitely needs to be out there more. I figured Bayda would have gone to the fourth and LaRose on the 3rd. What are your thoughts???

It was the only way we'd be able to lose more games. After all, the New Year's resolution of 2008 for losing every single game has failed 12 times so far... +/- expect a promotion...playing with a hangover...promotion...do drugs? promotion....score goals? BENCHED!

I'll cut and paste what I posted on another thread:

I do believe that in overall skill, Patty Eaves is much better than LaRose. Eaves went to Shattock-St. Mary's, and for those not in the know, it is THE premier hockey high school prep school in the continent. While Crosby still holds the records there (162 points...2002-2003), I heard someone say on XM that he broke Eaves' records (I found no support for this when I googled) Not too shabby, if true. In order for us to use the skill that we so deperately need to score goals, Eaves has to be on the ice. It took Ruutu awhile to get up in ice time and be effective again. I think it may be the same for Eaves.

I love LaRose, but in all out skill, I say give Eaves more ice time.

Larose is finally where he belongs - 4th line.

I was suprised, however, they let him kill penalties again. He is not good at PK, but i guess coach Mo will have to learn it hard way.

LaRose is one of the few players who busts his butt on every shift. Contrast this with Staal who seems to take every other shift off. Also, he is among our leading goal scorers. Tell me it make sense to give him less ice time. With this logic, we will be out of the playoffs by Ground Hog day.

i agree. I dont care what someone use to do...its what we see right now. How many chances are we suppose to give to let certain players prove themselves. Chad was the only guyu who scored in the 3 game losing streak last week. So again, makes no freaking sense untill the other guys start to show up, then i will understand. Chad at least has third line potential with more than 7 minutes a night.

LOL, Do you really think Larose can help to get this team into playoffs?

No matter what line Larose plays, If our players who actually have skills to play hockey won't turn their game around we are going to seek Tavares sweepstakes.

Anyone that was at the pre game skate yesterday know why Chad was doing so many sprints/shooting drills by himself after everyone else left the ice. It was kind of weird like a disciplanary thing. After skating a few short sprints he would go pretty wide open to the far circle grab a puck take a shot, shoot again then return to the starting poing at about 3/4 speed. Then he would be bent over catching his breath before repeating. It looked a bit harsh for a game day skate. Someone tought he was testing out an injury, but it looked to me to be more than that.

The point is not that LaRose can single-handedly get the team into the playoffs. The point is that work ethic is not being rewarded, while high-paid, high-profile players who aren't producing results and don't appear to be putting in as much effort as they should, are getting rewarded with lots of ice time on the top two lines. Maybe that isn't the best message to send to the team. But coaches who do reduce the ice time of "star" players who don't seem to be working hard don't tend to last long.

I'll cut and paste what I posted on another thread:

I do believe that in overall skill, Patty Eaves is much better than LaRose. Eaves went to Shattock-St. Mary's, and for those not in the know, it is THE premier hockey high school prep school in the continent. While Crosby still holds the records there (162 points...2002-2003), I heard someone say on XM that he broke Eaves' records (I found no support for this when I googled) Not too shabby, if true. In order for us to use the skill that we so deperately need to score goals, Eaves has to be on the ice. It took Ruutu awhile to get up in ice time and be effective again. I think it may be the same for Eaves.

I love LaRose, but in all out skill, I say give Eaves more ice time.

Eaves is another "experiment" drastically gone wrong. He has contributed little to the team, is likely made of glass and should not be given more ice time. People need to think in terms of not rewarding players based on their prep school credentials versus what have you done to make the team better -- translate=performance.

LaRose is the only guy that hustles every game, every shift. He demonstrates his value every night.

LOL, Do you really think Larose can help to get this team into playoffs?

No matter what line Larose plays, If our players who actually have skills to play hockey won't turn their game around we are going to seek Tavares sweepstakes.

Tavares..........a GMs wet dream come true.

Anyone that was at the pre game skate yesterday know why Chad was doing so many sprints/shooting drills by himself after everyone else left the ice.

I was at the pregame skate on Saturday morning. That was Walker on the ice doing the drills. They were looking to see if he was ready to play. I did not see LaRose out there doing any post practice drills.

Larose is finally where he belongs - 4th line.

I was suprised, however, they let him kill penalties again. He is not good at PK, but i guess coach Mo will have to learn it hard way.

yea,,and i still say they fired the wrong guy,,should have been jr,,,,,,,,,,,,,

LaRose and Ruutu are the few players who seem to play every shift at "full-throttle." Chad has some incentive as he will be a UFA next year and could be out to impress scouts from other teams.

The star QB of the Eagles got benched during a bad performance and was incentive in the next game to prove the benching was a bad move. Perhaps Brindy and Staal need to be a healthy scratch to send them a signal.

Chad has showed in previous seasons that he can't handle 2nd line minutes with Brindy, but he can play 3rd line plus PK with an amazing amount of energy. This year he has been doing that, and he is actually scoring so I too am really surprised to see him getting 4th line minutes.

If Im not mistaken, Chad played PK the year they won the cup so whoever said he isnt good on the PK is a little off. That was pretty much his only role besides the "energy" guy

Chad has showed in previous seasons that he can't handle 2nd line minutes with Brindy, but he can play 3rd line plus PK with an amazing amount of energy. This year he has been doing that, and he is actually scoring so I too am really surprised to see him getting 4th line minutes.

Forslund said last night it was because Williams was being slowly moved up and they switched LaRose to the 4th line, but LaRose was on the 2nd line if I remember correctly. To me it does seem to be punishing those who are out every night busting their butt off. Before Walker was injured and LaRose was on the 3rd line with Cullen and Eaves the 3rd line was the best line the team had. I had a feeling LaRose would be pushed down when Mo arrived. The Eaves Cullen LaRose line should be given another go once Williams has shaken off the rust and see what happens. What LaRose doesn't have in natural ability he does his damnedest to make up with it with hard work, how many other players are doing that this season?

Here's how that conversation went,

Maurice: Larose! your moving down to the fourth line

Larose: What? well was it because I wasnt scoring enough?

Maurice: No, your actually scoring more than we could hope for

Larose: Well is it my work ethic?

Maurice: No, you give it all every shift?

Larose: Was it the Chad?

(see Tom Green in charlies angles)

Here's how that conversation went,

Maurice: Larose! your moving down to the fourth line

Larose: What? well was it because I wasnt scoring enough?

Maurice: No, your actually scoring more than we could hope for

Larose: Well is it my work ethic?

Maurice: No, you give it all every shift?

Larose: Was it the Chad?

(see Tom Green in charlies angles)

Haha I could see him saying that.

The Eaves Cullen LaRose line should be given another go once Williams has shaken off the rust and see what happens.

3rd line is where Walker will be playing. You don't suggest to stick Walker on the 4th line, do you? :rolleyes:

Our top 9 are:

Sammy,Staal,Ruutu,Whitney,Brind'Amour,Williams,Eaves,Walker,Cullen

When these top 9 are healthy Bayda and LaRose automatically shifted to the 4th line as it was designed from the very beginning.

If Im not mistaken, Chad played PK the year they won the cup so whoever said he isnt good on the PK is a little off. That was pretty much his only role besides the "energy" guy

Doesn't make him a good PK though.

Arguably, Chad has more energy than any other guy in the locker room. However, his hockey skills and smarts are average. He runs around on PK and often gets burned, getting himself caught out of position.

Yes, he puts a lot of pressure on opposing d-men during PK, but if he runs into defenseman with more skills than Chad has we are usually in a big trouble.

LaRose now has nine points on the season and seven goals. He's scored in three straight games for the Hurricanes. Look at his shooting percentage.

If you look at his total playing time compared to other team members, the man deserves to be on the ice!

Change Eaves and LaRose out. Let them fight it out and see who deserves to be on the line.

How can you tell if he has talent, if you don't play him?

He hussles, has no problems using the boards on bigger guys and it looks like he can score, if given the chance.

PLAY CHAD LAROSE.

PS, why not put him on the power play? Nothing else is working much.

Have to agree with the Blonde Fan.. LaRose is scoring and belongs on the third line. He has 7 goals compared to 0 for Eaves. has him in points, 9 to 5. The only thing is Eaves is +5, Chad is -1. Maybe it's defense that is causing Chad to drop, but every time i see him he is backchecking and hustling his butt off. I think he's earned the third line but that's just me.

Whitney-Brind'amour-LaRose was not working as a line. That's why Eaves was moved there. And what do you know? That line scored twice, with Eaves picking up an assist and a +2 rating. How many of LaRose's points have actually come when he was in the Top 6? I seem to recall a lot of them coming while playing on the third line with Helminen or Cullen as his center. LaRose is best suited for the 3rd/4th lines where he can face weak d-pairings. Throw him on the second line and his lack of skill becomes more apparent.

LaRose has 9 points in 28 games while averaging 12:08 of even strength time, Eaves 5 in 22 while averaging 9:36. Hardly some massive edge in production when you factor in ice time.

Someone above said "How can you tell if he has talent, if you don't play him?" Doesn't that apply to Eaves has well? How many games has he spent on the 4th line as LaRose is now? Eaves has been the much more productive player in his career despite starting in the NHL at a younger age. Eaves has 81 points in 190 games from the age of 21-24. LaRose has 63 points in 215 games from the age of 23-26.

This discussion is all pointless, however, as I'd expect that Williams will be on that line when he gets back to game speed.

Is fairly simple logic, Eaves has the better skillset. Sure Larose was scoring in our losses, but what does that tell you when LaRose is the only one scoring. Does he have better skills than Staal? No. The reason LaRose is looking so good, is b/c the rest of the team was/is underperforming. Chad LaRose should NOT be the one scoring your only goals, period. If the rest of the team plays to their potential, LaRose wouldn't be looking so good.

He's a 3rd-4th liner period. He isn't good enough to play in the top 6. His lack of skills get schooled when he's up against better players. He needs to play with players closer to his skillset. Notice when he played in the top 6, he was removed from the PK. Now that he is back where he belongs, he's back on the PK. The guy can't handle top 6 minutes plus PK. He is an energy guy who you hope can pot a goal here and there. That is where he is best suited.

Eaves may not have as many goals, but remember, he was also stuck on the 4th for quite awhile as he was in Lavi's doghouse for whatever reason. Maurice comes in, puts him where he was signed to be, top 9 and his game is starting to come around. He has played much better these last 3 games. Last night he set up Whitney's first goal, didn't get on the scoresheet, but it was his play that led to that first goal. Not to mention Eaves can actually hit someone without him falling himself. I love LaRose and love how he tries to hit, but it doesn't work when he's the one falling on the ice. Eaves is on his game when he plays with that physical edge, and he's been doing that these last 3 games.

I have to agree that the argument is pointless and is just a conflict of philosophies. Having coached at various levels (not hockey), I'll tell you that most coaches say they would take a team of Chad LaRoses. The only issue is that, as was pointed out by the previous post, Chad isn't a top line player. He is not really a 2nd line player. Talent is a gift and some piss it away. Some take what little talent they have, apply some grit, a little smarts, and accomplish more than they are capable of (see Crash Davis). What we need to see is Staal, Whitney, Brindy (yes, Brindy), and Eaves totally going all out, as they did last year, and look how great things were. Chad is a great guy, a player whose personality is needed on every team, and should see more minutes. 1st/2nd line? Don't think so. I do think it would be nice to put him with Staal just so the pretty boy can be outshined by the grinder and maybe, just maybe, that will be the motivator that our Captain-in-Training requires. That being said, the N&O today mentioned that the team gets demoralized and shuts down when they have a goal scored on them and just continue to deflate so they are working on keeping themselves up by "talking it up." Well, what better job for Chad than that? Lord knows he has more talent than anyone else on the team in that department.

Keep it up Rosey! Some people DO give you the respect you deserve.