The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canesbaby

LaRose "demotion"

Got any idea why that is?

Sure hasn't been his scoring prowess. Like it or not, Eaves has not panned out to what anyone expected for him this year. LaRose has, with his limited icetime, exceeded expectations so far.

Now, I've saw some hope for Eaves this game. Nothing offensively from him, but he did a great job on the PK, something that I didn't see him being used for before. But considering LaRose can play the PK and has actually scored a goal this year, there's still little reason to sit him instead of Eaves.

For those of you that think Chad only looks good because all the other forwards have been in a slump I ask you this: is it not harder to score if your teammates are playing poorly than if you are playing with teammates that are playing well?

Here's why LaRose was scratched:

Mo decided to roll 7 defenseman in case Gleason and/or Seidenberg couldn't finish the game. You do not and I repeat, do not want to go down 5 defenseman against the Rangers. No one knew how Gleason and Seidenberg would hold up. First Seidenberg didn't even practice yesterday and second Gleason was still wearing the no contact jersey. It makes sense to want to have 7 defenseman as a safety.

Now between the three who IMHO would be available for press box duty, LaRose, Bayda and Eaves, here's why IMO, LaRose was chosen:

Eaves-No he hasn't scored yet. Yes, he wasn't playing well under Lavi. However, since Mo has come on board, his game has gotten much better. He is back to his gritty play that got him success in Ottawa. He just hasn't found the net. When Samsonov was playing well and not finding the back of the net, most of you were patient with him and was giving him time. Samething with Eaves. His game has gotten better, he just isn't hitting the net. Likely the coaching staff is going to give him time as long as he continues the gritty play. Not to mention his defensive side of the game is greater than LaRose's. He can think the play well and is always in good position. He quite frankly is a better PKer than LaRose as he gets himself in position rather than chasing.

LaRose-who knew he would have the goal outburst that he did. His play this year has been very good. Is it due to the rest of the team looking like poo that has him looking good or is he finally starting to bring his AHL level of play to this level? For whatever reason, a majority of you all here think he is some great PKer. He's alright, but not great. LaRose's best aspect to his game is the energy he brings. He won't ever take a shift off and he busts his butt from the moment he steps on the ice to the moment he steps off. These type of energy guys are needed on every team.

Now IMHO, Bayda is the guy I would have scratched last night. He's been invisible and I just don't think his energy is as high Chad's. Bayda is another 3rd-4th liner who needs to use that energy and he doesn't. So why was he chosen over LaRose. Well coaches usually go with what they know. Mo is clueless with LaRose. Bayda, on the other hand, he knows since he's coached him before. This decision was based on comfort level with a player. I don't think it was based on anything Chad has or hasn't done, just Mo doesn't know what type of player he is yet. So he went with who he knew in Bayda.

Caniac247 speaks the truth here.

And here is something else i'd like to add. Board posters tend to quickly identify few players as fan favorites and and few others as skapegoats. Usually, it has nothing to do with the skill level but rather with some other not very hockey related facts. As such, Larose was long time fan favorite and Eaves became a skapegoat for most fans.

Eaves is a way better player than Larose. Give him and coaching staff a chance to get this team and individual players in shape and play team game.

As Caniac247 said, Larose is a great energy player, he is a pest, a chihuahua. Ideally, he should be our version of Avery, well, a better one of course.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of pesting from Larose this year. He hardly ever opens his mouth, yells at other team's players. He doesn't go under other people skin as much as he did last year. He is much more useful when he does that.

The valuable thing about LaRose is that he can be a playmaker - he doesn't need a setup man to feed him for a scoring chance. Up until fairly recently, Staal needed a setup man on his line (or two) - someone who could get the puck to him for a close-in shot. Without a Cole or a Whitney on his line, Staal couldn't score 30 goals a season. Eric is developing his stickhandling skills and is able to get the puck down low on his own more and more. That's the one area of improvement I've noticed. I'm not comparing LaRose to Staal in terms of overall skills, but I do think that downplaying LaRose (4th line or healthy scratch) is a mistake. With more ice time on a line with a forward who is a finisher, LaRose may not only score more goals but get a lot more assists. IMO he has more potential than Bayda or Sutter (at this point in time, from what I've seen so far). And he can play physical - he can de-pansify the team. Over the past several years LaRose has improved and I think he's surprised the fans with his abilities. Did he simply make a couple of mistakes that pissed Mo off? I'd have scratched Bayda before scratching LaRose.

mmmm.... right..... Larose playmaker... What else haven't I learned about Chad?

IMO he has more potential than Bayda or Sutter (at this point in time, from what I've seen so far).

Well.... that does it... :lol:

Caniac247 speaks the truth here.

And here is something else i'd like to add. Board posters tend to quickly identify few players as fan favorites and and few others as skapegoats. Usually, it has nothing to do with the skill level but rather with some other not very hockey related facts. As such, Larose was long time fan favorite and Eaves became a skapegoat for most fans.

Eaves is a way better player than Larose. Give him and coaching staff a chance to get this team and individual players in shape and play team game.

As Caniac247 said, Larose is a great energy player, he is a pest, a chihuahua. Ideally, he should be our version of Avery, well, a better one of course.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a lot of pesting from Larose this year. He hardly ever opens his mouth, yells at other team's players. He doesn't go under other people skin as much as he did last year. He is much more useful when he does that.

What we need on this team is a player or players who can score in the shoot-out.. we need wins, not Chad LaRose! Trade him and get us a goal scorer JR!!!!!!!!!! GO 'CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO there are only a limited amount of reasons to sit a player like Larose.

Send a message to him to pick up his game.

Evaluate the line play without him.

Showcase a player on the ice for a possible trade or

A trade is in the works that includes Larose and you don't want him hurt before it happens.

A trade is in the works that includes Larose and you don't want him hurt before it happens.

Eaves has also gotten powerplay time on both the Senators and the Canes, while LaRose has not.
Is Eaves 25 seconds a game on the powerplay this season really that significant to LaRose's 15? Neither has received a chance there.

Anyways, here are their career stats with powerplay points removed: Eaves 65 points in 192 games, LaRose 59 points in 216 games. And that's with Eaves starting his career at 21, while LaRose started at 23.

Go look at the stats. You need to consider ice time. Which players are on the ice the most.

You can only make goals if you are on the ice.

Eaves & Bayda???? Spend more time on the ice than LaRose. But the stats don't lie.

Can it be a salary thing? They pay them so play them?

LaRose 875,000

Eaves 1,400.000,

Bayda 475,000

Last 5 games approx. minutes played

LaRose 50

Eaves 72

Bayda 71

Goals

LaRose 7

Eaves 0

Bayda 3

Shooting Percentage

LaRose 14.9

Eaves 0.0

Bayda 8.1

Why do you list ice time only in the last five games? Even with Eaves bump in ice time, he's still averaging less time than LaRose. LaRose is actually playing close to two more minutes per game at even strength than Eaves (11:47 to 9:50), while Eaves has the edge in SH time (2:06 to :40).

Oh, and what about assists? Don't they count too? Bayda 6, Eaves 5, LaRose 2. Total points are 9, 9 and 5.

Eaves salary for this season is 1.1M, not 1.4M. And I hardly doubt salary has anything to do with who is being played when LaRose is making 400k more than Bayda.

I've said this before.. I think JR still has LaRose's number, considering he was gonna take JR to arbitration in the offseason. That kind of thing doesn't sit well with GM's. The team will pay you what they think you are valued at. I say trade him!! GO 'CANES!!!

All right. I love the energy LaRose brings every shift. It's fun to watch him bring the forechecking pressure and play aggressively, occasionally playing the agitator role. It's not hard to figure out why he is such a fan favorite. I compare Chad to former baseball player Rex Hudler - Rex played outfield for the St. Louis Cardinals for a few years when I lived in St. Louis. He hit about .215 but had his own fanclub and people loved him because of how hard he played every night diving after foul balls and trying to make every play.

I believe Chad should be on the fourth line on this team. Not the third line. It's easy to say that Chad has 7 goals and Eaves has none. But Eaves plays a much better defensive game, is a better penalty killer, can finish his hits and has a very good wrist shot - I just wish he would get himself in a position to shoot the puck more often. There is no question in my mind that Eaves is a better all around player than LaRose. We just need Eaves to play more aggressivley in the offensive zone and shoot the puck.

For me, the fourth line wing positions come down to LaRose, Bayda, Brookband and LaCouture. If we could somehow get down to only 6 NHL defensemen (those with one-way contracts, that is) we could mix it up and have two of those playing and two as scratches based on matchups with the opposing team. That would involve trading/waiving one of Babchuck or Kaberle.

I've said this before.. I think JR still has LaRose's number, considering he was gonna take JR to arbitration in the offseason. That kind of thing doesn't sit well with GM's. The team will pay you what they think you are valued at. I say trade him!! GO 'CANES!!!

I think you might get your wish. But I'll wait to see what role LaRose plays in the next game. Sitting out one game doesn't mean much. Mo could just be sending a message to LaRose.

I think you might get your wish. But I'll wait to see what role LaRose plays in the next game. Sitting out one game doesn't mean much. Mo could just be sending a message to LaRose.

The only reason that Larose sat last night's game is because they felt they should dress 7 D-men b/c 2 of them are coming back from injuries, and let's face it, our whole D is very injury prone, period. They also kept Brookbank in the press box as well. If you play Larose, who do you sit? Eaves? Bayda? I guess the logic may be that they are both bigger (although not much) than Chad and we need some size. Maybe Eaves gets to play b/c he may be traded soon. And surely, you can't discount some behind-the-scenes stuff - Chad was 100% Lavi's boy, and he really may have put himself in a doghouse of sorts w/ JR over threatening arbitration last summer.

Taking JR to arbitration means nothing, especially considering JR caved before it was even decided.

Now, if it had gone all the way and JR was forced to pay LaRose 1.4, then yeah, then there might be some bad blood. But instead, he pays LaRose 1.4, when in all likelyhood, the arbitration amount would have been much lower, probably an amount that LaRose wouldn't have signed for.

So obviously, JR felt that LaRose was enough of an asset that he couldn't risk losing him in arbitration and thus paid the amount that LaRose was asking for.

The only reason that Larose sat last night's game is because they felt they should dress 7 D-men b/c 2 of them are coming back from injuries, and let's face it, our whole D is very injury prone, period. They also kept Brookbank in the press box as well. If you play Larose, who do you sit? Eaves? Bayda? I guess the logic may be that they are both bigger (although not much) than Chad and we need some size. Maybe Eaves gets to play b/c he may be traded soon. And surely, you can't discount some behind-the-scenes stuff - Chad was 100% Lavi's boy, and he really may have put himself in a doghouse of sorts w/ JR over threatening arbitration last summer.

Yes it is true Larose sat last night because they dressed 7 D-men but it was Larose that sat. Not Eaves. Not Bayda.

Do Eaves and Bayda play better D? Do they fit into Mo's system better? The Canes skated well last night except for the

PP. Different type of game then we are use to seeing. I just don't see Eaves being traded. But you never know.

If you don't sit Eaves or Bayda then the message is Larose

is expendable. I'm not saying he gets traded but I don't think it will be Eaves.

Yes it is true Larose sat last night because they dressed 7 D-men but it was Larose that sat. Not Eaves. Not Bayda.

Do Eaves and Bayda play better D? Do they fit into Mo's system better? The Canes skated well last night except for the

PP. Different type of game then we are use to seeing. I just don't see Eaves being traded. But you never know.

If you don't sit Eaves or Bayda then the message is Larose

is expendable. I'm not saying he gets traded but I don't think it will be Eaves.

mmmm.... right..... Larose playmaker... What else haven't I learned about Chad?

Well.... that does it... :lol:

No doubt that does it, i always thought of a playmaker as a "savard" or "crosby" not a fourth line lifer like larose.

Ok so while I dont think Larose is 1st or 2nd liner, benching him is ridicolous and now I am starting to take exception this demotion. He's an excellent PK'er that we need on the ice for PK's but still not on the 1st or 2nd line.

Larose a "pest" common get real lol hes more like a bug who gets knocked around when trying to get in everyones face. I wish he was like Avery. Despite Averys off ice shinanagans i would take him hands down any day over larose "IF" the team chemistry in our dressing room stayed the same. Its sad when people think larose is a better player then avery, off the ice totally larose is smarter. On the ice avery has managed to get 10 points in 23 games in probably his most problamatic season of his career while larose has 9 points in more GP in his best season of his career. If Avery wasnt so expensive he would be a huge asset to our team, just think how nice it would be when we had to play washington with semin and ovechkin or pittsburg with malkin and crosby. I dont think those players would be such a factor any more when avery is at his best....

Taking JR to arbitration means nothing, especially considering JR caved before it was even decided.

Now, if it had gone all the way and JR was forced to pay LaRose 1.4, then yeah, then there might be some bad blood. But instead, he pays LaRose 1.4, when in all likelyhood, the arbitration amount would have been much lower, probably an amount that LaRose wouldn't have signed for.

So obviously, JR felt that LaRose was enough of an asset that he couldn't risk losing him in arbitration and thus paid the amount that LaRose was asking for.

He caved because GM's hate having to go through the arbitration process.. I think he felt pressured to give him the amount he asked. LaRose isn't even a depth player in Mo's system.

He caved because GM's hate having to go through the arbitration process.. I think he felt pressured to give him the amount he asked. LaRose isn't even a depth player in Mo's system.

Mo has no idea who LaRose is. Give him more than a couple games. The organization is still hoping Eaves will turn it around, hence why he played. And Mo is more familiar with Bayda than he is with LaRose. Hence why he played.

When both Eaves and Bayda continue their lack of production, Mo will have no choice but to bring LaRose back on the ice.

The problem with trading Eaves is the same one with trading Kaberle. Eaves has to produce some points on the ice before we could get any value for him. Once he starts producing, we probably want to keep him.

I love LaRose, and I'm sure he will be back on the ice once we get back to 6 defensemen, but Chad is the ultimate dump and chaser and we aren't doing that much these days, definitely not on the top 3 lines.