The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canesbaby

LaRose "demotion"

Well, apparently, he's "referred to by most Caniacs as 'The Chuck Norris of Hockey'", at least, according to Wikipedia and the one website it links to.

Somehow, I missed out on that nickname.

Well, apparently, he's "referred to by most Caniacs as 'The Chuck Norris of Hockey'", at least, according to Wikipedia and the one website it links to.

Somehow, I missed out on that nickname.

I've always given him the nickname, "Worst Player on the Team"....although Kaberle has given him a run for the money on that one in the last couple years. Been quite a few candidates this season though.... :(

two pitbulls and one chihuahua

:lol:

That made me laugh.

But for the record, there were times in that 05-06 season LaRose was scratched in favor of the 7th D. So its not like he's not used to sitting in favor of a 7th defenseman.

I like Chad as much as the rest of ya. I call him the little gnat. However, I haven't seen the gnat much this year. Chad is much more effective being a gnat than trying to be a Top 9 forward where he dreams about being. His role on this team is to annoy the opponents and get under their skin. This is where he is most effective. Annoy the opponents and if you get a scoring chance, take the shot.

Of course, when he was being the little gnat, there were complaints about his inability to finish chances. Now that he's finishing his chances, there's complaints about why he's not the old LaRose anymore.

If I'm not mistaken, that whole year LaRose had very limited minutes, and was often a scratch, even during the playoffs. I could be wrong since I don't like to live in the past.
LaRose was indeed a healthy scratch for four games in the playoffs. In fact, one of those times was in Game 2 of the SCF when Laviolette dressed Tverdovsky as the 7th defenseman because Wesley was playing hurt...

Mo doesn't play the 4th line. Walker, Sutter and LaRose are the 4th line.

If you were the coach and you were putting in a system of play that did not have an energy line, would you have Lavi's energy line use up 10 minutes of TOI? Ron and Tom are instructing and coaching the top 9 everytime they come off the ice. It looks like EF Hutton is talking over there :lol: the players are listening so intently.

Lavi needed an enegy line. The top three lines under Francis and Rowe are energized when they are on the ice. The TomMoRon system requires skilled players, not high energy worry warts.

Nearly all coaches as a general rule, consider how players perform in practice to determine who plays in the game. Some exceptions are made. (Most coaches will not start or play a player who could not practice.) Practice is a controlled environment. The coaches see what players can do under specific conditions. You don't have to wonder if it was weak opposition, a 3rd pair for example that allow a player to look good or collect a couple goals.

Ever wonder why a hockey team isn't comprised of 4 lines lines manned by average-skilled energy players? Me either, :huh: when I do, I see where Ron is looking when he plays Eaves or Bayda.

Mo may not know his backside from a hole in the ground as some of you think, but Ron Francis and Tom Rowe do. When you lambast Mo for this and that, you are kicking the wrong donkey, if you know what I mean.

Please, most coaches roll 4 lines. There's either 3 lines of scoring with either a grinding or energy line, or 2 lines of scoring with a grinding and energy line.

You know why a 4th line is important? If you only run three lines, your players are going to be worn out faster than the opposing team. And since we're a team that's always been built around speed, being worn out (and therefore slower) is not "part of the system".

And please don't act like you've got an inside track of what any of the coaches, Mo, Ron or Rowe, are thinking during practice.

The reason the 4th line wasn't played much that day, as already stated somewhere in this topic, was because that was the first game since Walker's injury, and they were easing him in.

What bothers me most is that IMO LaRose works hard every night, and has 6 goals to show for it where as Eaves doesnt work as hard and has 0 goals, and Bayda actually does work hard still but just doesnt score as much as Rosie. Why would you take out a hard working player, who is having a career year and keep in 2 players who work medium hard and are having not very good years?

Please, most coaches roll 4 lines. There's either 3 lines of scoring with either a grinding or energy line, or 2 lines of scoring with a grinding and energy line.

We aren't talking about the past and what most coaches are doing, we talking TomMoRon and the Canes on 12-15-08.

You know why a 4th line is important? If you only run three lines, your players are going to be worn out faster than the opposing team. And since we're a team that's always been built around speed, being worn out (and therefore slower) is not "part of the system".

You're still in the past, Froggy. This conversation isn't about what we've always done. And thank goodness we aren't doing what we've always done. This team isn't trying to sprint down the ice, running and gunning so to speak. Take a good look tomorrow night and let's talk. :rolleyes:

And please don't act like you've got an inside track of what any of the coaches, Mo, Ron or Rowe, are thinking during practice.

Excuse me, what I said was "Nearly all coaches as a general rule, consider how players perform in practice to determine who plays in the game." There was no mention of what Mo, Ron or Rowe are thinking during practice. That was weak, Froggy. But I like your idea. Do you mind if I play the "don't act like you've got an inside track of what any of the (coaches, players or GMs) are thinking" card when you post? See your opening line for the pot calling the kettle black ;)

The reason the 4th line wasn't played much that day, as already stated somewhere in this topic, was because that was the first game since Walker's injury, and they were easing him in.

And please don't act like you've got an inside track of what any of the coaches, Mo, Ron or Rowe, are thinking during games. :o

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=395864&page=NewsPage&service=page' target="_blank">http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page[/post]

Living in the past, eh?

And by mentioning the practice, you implied that LaRose is getting less time because of his practices. Which you clearly couldn't know, unless you've got an inside track.

Can we include members who post on these boards? "And please don't act like you've got an inside track of what any of the coaches, Mo, Ron or Rowe, are thinking during games." You seem to think you know what I was implying.

Nope, I was implying that Eaves could be getting more time because of his practices.

And the Walker comment was in the post-game interview after the Capitals game. Feel free to look it up. And what? See where you took something our of context? :D

Isn't this fun? I know you like to argue and I want to give you some variety in people you argue with. :P

Please, explain to me what I took out of context. It was quite obvious that they wanted to ease Walker in. What better way than to play him on the 4th line and play the 4th line sparingly?

And the difference between Eaves and LaRose is exactly what you said. LaRose was paired against the 3rd pairing and potted a couple goals. Eaves has been paired against the 3rd pairing and has....nothing.

Of course, when he was being the little gnat, there were complaints about his inability to finish chances. Now that he's finishing his chances, there's complaints about why he's not the old LaRose anymore.

Well I for one never complained about LaRose never finishing. I know he just isn't capable of being a 20-25 goal scorer at this level. I personally like Chad better as the little gnat. Him trying to be a player he is not is not doing anything for him. He needs to drive the other team crazy with his mouth and the in your face attitude.

Eaves is another "experiment" drastically gone wrong. He has contributed little to the team, is likely made of glass and should not be given more ice time. People need to think in terms of not rewarding players based on their prep school credentials versus what have you done to make the team better -- translate=performance.

LaRose is the only guy that hustles every game, every shift. He demonstrates his value every night.

Absolutely--why isnt LaRose being given more ice time???? He has been a hustler and hard worker every shift--- and he has been ignored for our STAR players --who cant even manage to hit the net--there seems to be a definite bias against him--why?????

Well I for one never complained about LaRose never finishing. I know he just isn't capable of being a 20-25 goal scorer at this level. I personally like Chad better as the little gnat. Him trying to be a player he is not is not doing anything for him. He needs to drive the other team crazy with his mouth and the in your face attitude.

I agree. I liked it better when he was the pest. When the team had a perfect record when he would score. Unfortunately, with the contract he has now, he's probably going to have to play as a scorer to justify it.

Please, explain to me what I took out of context. It was quite obvious that they wanted to ease Walker in. What better way than to play him on the 4th line and play the 4th line sparingly?

And the difference between Eaves and LaRose is exactly what you said. LaRose was paired against the 3rd pairing and potted a couple goals. Eaves has been paired against the 3rd pairing and has....nothing.

I really wish people would stop looking at points to determine whether X player is better than Y player.

There is more to the game than just getting on the scoresheet. Yes, Eaves has 0 goals, but really what did you expect when Lavi gave him 2 games on the top 6, then removed him and put him on the 4th with 6 minutes a game. Have we forgotten that Larose got those goals playing more than 6 minutes a game. Now that Larose is back on the 4th, he isn't producing either. Coincidence.

Why when Samsonov wasn't producing, he was given time to find his game. But when Eaves wasn't producing, he was immediatly pulled off the top 6 in favor of Lavi's boy, LaRose. This is where JR's comment about 'new players' not feeling accepted.

Now move to Mo. Eaves immediatly gets moved back up into the top 9. Sure in these 5 games he hasn't scored, but his play is getting to where it was in Ottawa. He's gritty, physical, and setting up plays. Let's not forget it was Eaves hardwork along the boards that led to Whitney's first goal against the Caps. He's done other things as well. His PK, is better than LaRose's, he is better defensively.

Why was it ok for one guy, Samsonov, to get time to find his game and start scoring, but its not ok for another guy to find his game. This org signed Eaves to the deal he got based on past play. For whatever reason, he was in Lavi's doghouse and never got the chance. How bout we give the guy a chance under Mo and see what he can do. I personally already see a difference in his play and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Just as I did Samsonov.

Jeez, next thing you know we'll be saying Williams needs to be scratched if he doesn't score here soon. Because let's face it, Chad has goals and Williams doesn't. :unsure:

Absolutely--why isnt LaRose being given more ice time???? He has been a hustler and hard worker every shift--- and he has been ignored for our STAR players --who cant even manage to hit the net--there seems to be a definite bias against him--why?????

Very simple...............Because he is not a good puck handleler.

I really wish people would stop looking at points to determine whether X player is better than Y player.

There is more to the game than just getting on the scoresheet. Have we forgotten that Larose got those goals playing more than 6 minutes a game. Now that Larose is back on the 4th, he isn't producing either. Coincidence.

Why when Samsonov wasn't producing, he was given time to find his game. But when Eaves wasn't producing, he was immediatly pulled off the top 6 in favor of Lavi's boy, LaRose.

Now move to Mo. Eaves immediatly gets moved back up into the top 9. Sure in these 5 games he hasn't scored, but his play is getting to where it was in Ottawa. He's gritty, physical, and setting up plays. Let's not forget it was Eaves hardwork along the boards that led to Whitney's first goal against the Caps. He's done other things as well. His PK, is better than LaRose's, he is better defensively.

Jeez, next thing you know we'll be saying Williams needs to be scratched if he doesn't score here soon. Because let's face it, Chad has goals and Williams doesn't. :unsure:

I agree there is much more to the player than what shows on the scoresheet. Let's examine each player by ice time then restructure the lines. Hmm Cullen on the second line - Brindy on the 3rd or 4th?

Lavi had several boys on the team but MO hasn't made any other changes. Eaves is a good player but I think that everyone should have to work their way back into the opportunity. Eaves has proven that from an all around standpoint. Sometimes whether we want to believe it or not the guys getting paid the most or have the most invested in them receive the most opportunity.

I'm sick of the management and hope that something will happen soon to make sense of all that is going on.

For one Mark it down Larose's Nhl Career will comparable to Eaves in the Long Haul ,probably better.

Don't bring Sammy into this discussion, even when he wasn't scoring in the early season he was contributing on the ice like no other player on the whole canes team can contribute.

Justin Williams is a bonifide top 6 Forward with a track record to prove it, he has earned his spot. Eaves hasn't earned squat. He is an underachiever who has never lived up to his expectations and never will.

Why when Samsonov wasn't producing, he was given time to find his game. But when Eaves wasn't producing, he was immediatly pulled off the top 6 in favor of Lavi's boy, LaRose. This is where JR's comment about 'new players' not feeling accepted.

Why was it ok for one guy, Samsonov, to get time to find his game and start scoring, but its not ok for another guy to find his game. This org signed Eaves to the deal he got based on past play. For whatever reason, he was in Lavi's doghouse and never got the chance. How bout we give the guy a chance under Mo and see what he can do. I personally already see a difference in his play and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Just as I did Samsonov.

Eaves was given less minutes because he earned less minutes. He wasn't sent down for no reason at all. During his time in the top lines, he was lost. Don't blame Lavi for demoting someone who wasn't playing.

Eaves spent a short period on the 4th line. Then he was put right back in the Top 9, even when Lavi was still coach. Usually paired with Cullen and Bayda, if I remember correctly. And he still looked lost most of the time.

During this time, LaRose was given ice time because he earned it. He was producing and creating chances, so he was rewarded with ice time.

To reffer on my post and the one thing that some guys in here think I would like to have Rosey out of the lineup: The opening post of this thread is about Rosey being set on the fourth line, not being a scratch. As the base for my post, I took that Eaves if played over LaRose, so Eaves is playing the top 9 and Rosey is taking the 4th Line. Exactly for that, I was thinking about a reason, I tried to understand that decision and thought about what I would do on this matter, and that's what I posted.

And, however, I stick with it: A guy like Eaves is expected to have big potential, so he is given the ice time to show up, or at least work on it. LaRose being on the 4th line is fine with me, cause he isn't expected to carry this team with big scoring abilities, or noticable offensive effort. He does, and I appreciate, lately show a lot of good things offensively, but I still don't see him to become a solid 20 goal scorer like Eaves is "expected" to be, and that's why I totally understand Mo's decision to have Rosey on the 4th, and Eaves on the top 9. Whether this is the big motive of his decision or not, it's one thing I can get to, and if I had to do the decision, I would have it the same way just because of what I posted here.

Why Rosey was called the sratch for Conboy, or why Bayda is played over Rosey as well, these are things I didn't write anything about, yet.

I love it, six pages of speculation as to why the line up is the way it is. It seems like most of you have "inside information" or so you think you do. Unless you are the one who is filling out the line up card all your speculation and expertise on the situation is pretty much rendered useless.

I don't know why management/coaching staff puts out the line ups day to day and I am not going to pretend to know why. Quite frankly I don't care. I would just like the team to play hard when I spend my hard earned money to watch them play. LaRose, Bayda, Walker, Eaves, wins don't seem to be accumulating no matter who is in and out.

I love it, six pages of speculation as to why the line up is the way it is. It seems like most of you have "inside information" or so you think you do. Unless you are the one who is filling out the line up card all your speculation and expertise on the situation is pretty much rendered useless.

I don't know why management/coaching staff puts out the line ups day to day and I am not going to pretend to know why. Quite frankly I don't care. I would just like the team to play hard when I spend my hard earned money to watch them play. LaRose, Bayda, Walker, Eaves, wins don't seem to be accumulating no matter who is in and out.

Perhaps so, but they definitely don't come when high-profile players aren't busting their hump each night like those guys.

Perhaps so, but they definitely don't come when high-profile players aren't busting their hump each night like those guys.

Are you aware that highly skilled athletes often make difficult plays look easy? That some players don't appear to be 'busting their humps' every night, isn't necessarily a sign that they are ineffective and should be replaced by a 3rd or 4th line energy player? Or even as you say, need to appear to 'bust their humps' in order for their teams to win? Sutter doesn't appear to be 'busting his hump' but he's in position to make plays because of his 'hockey smarts.' Samsonov doesn't appear to be 'busting his hump' yet he is effective in controlling the puck, clearing the D-zone, making passes, doing the things a good player does. Ruutu, when he's not busting our opponents humps, doesn't appear to be 'busting his hump', just scoring goals and assists.

My point in all this is the appearance of all-out effort all the time, isn't necessarily a sign of a good player, but is likely the sign of an ordinary player doing what he has to do to play. With out Chad's admirable work ethic, he would be down in Albany or lower. But to put Chad in the position of having to produce against the number 2 or number 1 defensive pairing every night would be to his ultimate detriment.

Are you aware that highly skilled athletes often make difficult plays look easy? That some players don't appear to be 'busting their humps' every night, isn't necessarily a sign that they are ineffective and should be replaced by a 3rd or 4th line energy player? Or even as you say, need to appear to 'bust their humps' in order for their teams to win? Sutter doesn't appear to be 'busting his hump' but he's in position to make plays because of his 'hockey smarts.' Samsonov doesn't appear to be 'busting his hump' yet he is effective in controlling the puck, clearing the D-zone, making passes, doing the things a good player does. Ruutu, when he's not busting our opponents humps, doesn't appear to be 'busting his hump', just scoring goals and assists.

My point in all this is the appearance of all-out effort all the time, isn't necessarily a sign of a good player, but is likely the sign of an ordinary player doing what he has to do to play. With out Chad's admirable work ethic, he would be down in Albany or lower. But to put Chad in the position of having to produce against the number 2 or number 1 defensive pairing every night would be to his ultimate detriment.

Of course I am aware of that. It's silly to think otherwise. Acknowledging that, you gonna tell me you'd rather have Brindy in there than LaRose right now? Nuts. Brindy is skating like he's got zippo left in the tank. Skating with skill and finesse is one thing and not skating to the puck or back in the defensive zone is another. Brindy and Staal (with a few exceptions) have been half-arsing it most of the season.

BTW, you are aware that the best players in the world are completely ineffective if they don't skate hard to beat opposing players to the puck, create turnovers, and skate hard to get open, right? I'd rather have a team second liners who skate hard then a team of all-stars who don't skate hard to create opportunities.