The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canesbaby

LaRose "demotion"

I agree that players who are not gifted to the level of elite NHL scorers have to work harder to consistantly contribute at this level. But it is also true that the superstars tend to go through periods where they just aren't playing 100% and are "gliding". Even the stars have to reach back and bring it to be effective at the top level.

There was an interview shown last night with the greatest scorer of all time, who pointed out that even he had stretches where he wasn't playing his best. But it can be very tricky for us fans to accurately gauge how hard a player is playing. In a recent interview with Maurice he pointed out that sometimes when a star is not contributing he might actually be trying too hard in an attempt to get it back. He pointed to Eric Staal as trying to do too much.

It is an interesting thing. The player needs to find a "zone" where he is playing hard enough to create space and opportunities, but still letting the game come to him somewhat. And that doesn't even take into account guys playing through injuries, or injuries and old age.

I love it, six pages of speculation as to why the line up is the way it is. It seems like most of you have "inside information" or so you think you do. Unless you are the one who is filling out the line up card all your speculation and expertise on the situation is pretty much rendered useless.

I don't know why management/coaching staff puts out the line ups day to day and I am not going to pretend to know why. Quite frankly I don't care. I would just like the team to play hard when I spend my hard earned money to watch them play. LaRose, Bayda, Walker, Eaves, wins don't seem to be accumulating no matter who is in and out.

What else do you expect us to do all day when we are supposed to be working and not looking at Canes stuff on the computer?

you gonna tell me you'd rather have Brindy in there than LaRose right now? Nuts. Brindy is skating like he's got zippo left in the tank. Skating with skill and finesse is one thing and not skating to the puck or back in the defensive zone is another. Brindy and Staal (with a few exceptions) have been half-arsing it most of the season.

BTW, you are aware that the best players in the world are completely ineffective if they don't skate hard to beat opposing players to the puck, create turnovers, and skate hard to get open, right? I'd rather have a team second liners who skate hard then a team of all-stars who don't skate hard to create opportunities.

Actually I HAD rather have Brind'Amour in the line-up than LaRose, if it came to that. Brindy has 11 assists, to Chad's 2. Brindy has been ridiculous winning Face offs. 80% at home against Philly and 72% in NSG Saturday for example. Ever wonder why Chad doesn't take FOs? Perhaps you have a reason to explain away Chads low assist numbers. :huh:

Chad has been playing wing but he is listed as a center. Replace Brindy with Chad? A disaster waiting to happen. But don't worry, it will never happen. The coaches don't drink during the games. :lol:

And are you aware that there is a difference in "skating hard" and skating 'effortlessly with speed and power. Effortlessly with speed and power is what the olympic skaters are doing. Chad skates hard, Staal skates with effortlessly with speed and power. Tonight watch Montreal bring the puck up the ice and on attack. See if they are "skating hard" or are "skating effortlessly".

I can see you are impressed by skating hard just as I am impressed by effortlessly with speed and power. Let's just agree to disagree, OK, Charlotte?

I love it, six pages of speculation as to why the line up is the way it is. It seems like most of you have "inside information" or so you think you do. Unless you are the one who is filling out the line up card all your speculation and expertise on the situation is pretty much rendered useless.

I don't know why management/coaching staff puts out the line ups day to day and I am not going to pretend to know why. Quite frankly I don't care. I would just like the team to play hard when I spend my hard earned money to watch them play. LaRose, Bayda, Walker, Eaves, wins don't seem to be accumulating no matter who is in and out.

About time somebody said something like this!!! Trade'em all!!! Move the team.. it don't matter anymore!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Losing makes me go crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO 'CANES!!!!!!!

Actually I HAD rather have Brind'Amour in the line-up than LaRose, if it came to that. Brindy has 11 assists, to Chad's 2. Brindy has been ridiculous winning Face offs. 80% at home against Philly and 72% in NSG Saturday for example. Ever wonder why Chad doesn't take FOs? Perhaps you have a reason to explain away Chads low assist numbers. :huh:

Chad has been playing wing but he is listed as a center. Replace Brindy with Chad? A disaster waiting to happen. But don't worry, it will never happen. The coaches don't drink during the games. :lol:

And are you aware that there is a difference in "skating hard" and skating 'effortlessly with speed and power. Effortlessly with speed and power is what the olympic skaters are doing. Chad skates hard, Staal skates with effortlessly with speed and power. Tonight watch Montreal bring the puck up the ice and on attack. See if they are "skating hard" or are "skating effortlessly".

I can see you are impressed by skating hard just as I am impressed by effortlessly with speed and power. Let's just agree to disagree, OK, Charlotte?

I think you should be demoted Caniacshubby for even trying to talk Brindy up as if he is doing something this season. Let's talk about skating hard and making things look effortless. Rod never in his career has looked effortless however he has great skill and is a great skater. He doesn't seem to find himself in the position to create opportunity and when it happens on accident he is unaware of it. LaRose on the other hand anticipates better than anyone on the team. He may not have the ability or finesse as the others but he creates the opportunity for him and other players by hustle. I would much rather have LaRose out there.

I think you should be demoted Caniacshubby for even trying to talk Brindy up as if he is doing something this season. Let's talk about skating hard and making things look effortless. Rod never in his career has looked effortless however he has great skill and is a great skater. He doesn't seem to find himself in the position to create opportunity and when it happens on accident he is unaware of it. LaRose on the other hand anticipates better than anyone on the team. He may not have the ability or finesse as the others but he creates the opportunity for him and other players by hustle. I would much rather have LaRose out there.

Hustle will only get you so far. Prime example:

Staal and LaRose coming down on a 2-on-1. Staal has the puck, both guys pass the blue line, skate a bit more in, Staal passes to LaRose. All LaRose had to do was take the one timer. Halak was covering for a Staal shot, would Halak have gotten over in time. Who knows, but you don't know unless you take the shot. You also have the option of a rebound and with Staal moving to the net, he might have picked it up. What does LaRose do, he passes it right back to Staal. But wait, the pass never gets to Staal b/c the habs defender had his passing lane blocked. Habs defender gets the puck and habs move it up ice.

This is why LaRose does not belong in the top 6. He doesn't have the skill or enough smarts to play with other teams top players. If you put hustle vs skill, skill will win 9 times out of 10.

Where are the Larose fan club members? He was not good last night and didnt make the most of the ice time he was awarded. There are no more favorites with Mo and he's gonna have to earn it like everyone else fighting for a spot on that 4th line.

Rosey is exactly where he needs to be. 4th line energy guy, fill in on 3rd if there are injuries. If he does not like his role on this team then he will have the option of seeing if the grass is greener elsewhere next year when he becomes an UFA. I think Keith Aucoin thought he deserved to be playing more also, but he is playing the same role with the Capitols as he did here. He is up now, but as soon as they are healthy, he goes back to the AHL.

I will agree to disagree. Sometimes you just have to play ice hockey to understand I suppose. I'm not downing you, but I can tell when a player is 1) caught out of position and 2) coasting instead of skating.

Bingo. My opinion could change, but based on what I'm seeing now on the ice, I think something is wrong with Brindy. If you guys listened to the postgame report last night after the game on 99.9, Forsland said that he suspects that Rod has never been 100% since his injury.

Hustle will only get you so far. Prime example:

Staal and LaRose coming down on a 2-on-1. Staal has the puck, both guys pass the blue line, skate a bit more in, Staal passes to LaRose. All LaRose had to do was take the one timer. Halak was covering for a Staal shot, would Halak have gotten over in time. Who knows, but you don't know unless you take the shot. You also have the option of a rebound and with Staal moving to the net, he might have picked it up. What does LaRose do, he passes it right back to Staal. But wait, the pass never gets to Staal b/c the habs defender had his passing lane blocked. Habs defender gets the puck and habs move it up ice.

This is why LaRose does not belong in the top 6. He doesn't have the skill or enough smarts to play with other teams top players. If you put hustle vs skill, skill will win 9 times out of 10.

Didn't you say you never complained about LaRose finishing? If LaRose had shot the puck and Halak had swallowed it, there would have been complaints about how he didn't pass it back to Staal.

LaRose made the right play in that situation. Between the two, who was more likely to score? Staal or LaRose? Not to mention if the pass had gotten back to Staal, it would have been the hattrick goal. Pretty sure almost everyone on the team would have passed back to Staal in that situation.

Don't blame the players, applaud the Habs defender for making a good play.

Didn't you say you never complained about LaRose finishing? If LaRose had shot the puck and Halak had swallowed it, there would have been complaints about how he didn't pass it back to Staal.

LaRose made the right play in that situation. Between the two, who was more likely to score? Staal or LaRose? Not to mention if the pass had gotten back to Staal, it would have been the hattrick goal. Pretty sure almost everyone on the team would have passed back to Staal in that situation.

LaRose should have shot as Hamrlik was in position to play the pass. However, you can't blame him for looking for the top scoring forward on the roster.

No he didn't. And you just proved it in your response. You asked: Who was more likely to score? Everyones answer is Staal. You don't think Halak wasn't expecting Staal to take the shot. Halak was already expecting Staal to shoot. By Staal passing it, if LaRose took the shot, it would have forced Halak to move side to side to make the stop. What does everyone say, get pucks to the net b/c you don't know what will happen. What if Halak couldn't get over quick enough. What if Halak left the rebound, you got Staal crashing the net, there's a good chance he picks it up.

LaRose didn't have a passing lane. And no, not everyone would have passed it back to Staal because they would have realized that the defender was in position to intercept the pass. I've seen Cullen take a shot on 2-on-1 because there was no passing lane. That's the difference between a 4th line energy guy and a guy with actual skills.

Why should I applaud the Habs defender for making a good play. He did his job. He took away the pass. On 2-on-1 situations, its the defenders job to take away the pass and force the player to shoot. That's exactly what he did. He did his job as any defender would do in that situation.

Lets be honest, he was giving the puck to Staal to get a hat trick.

If we're being honest, what did you see in his play last night that would back up more minutes or a move to the third line?

I saw a guy who had good energy and wasnt afraid to hit but basically just bounced off the opposition and pushed off the puck. Where you saw "he was giving Staal a chance for the hat trick", I saw a guy who was handed a golden opportunity to prove his worth, blunder the chance by not taking the shot. Good defense or not, he had plenty of time to get the shot off if he wasnt over thinking the whole play. Thats where skill wins out over desire anyday. If he's giving Staal the chance(which I disagree he was doing), he proves why he's not a top 6 player, but a good team mate right there. It was a bad decision to make with the Canadiens still very much in the game. You only give "that chance" when the game isnt on the line and that next goal isnt needed to secure the win.

This is if we're being honest here.

Then why not rip Samsonov, who had that exact same situation even later in the game and once again, attempted to pass it to Staal.

LaRose made the right move. Watching the game replayed this morning, it just confirmed my thoughts. They replayed the breakup, and Halak followed the puck the entire time. He wasn't "expecting Staal to shoot". He watched Staal pass to LaRose, and he followed the puck to LaRose.

Like I said, if the situation were reversed, and LaRose had taken the shot and the puck had been swallowed, there'd be complaints about how he can't finish his chances or how he should have passed it back to Staal.

Then why not rip Samsonov, who had that exact same situation even later in the game and once again, attempted to pass it to Staal.

LaRose made the right move. Watching the game replayed this morning, it just confirmed my thoughts. They replayed the breakup, and Halak followed the puck the entire time. He wasn't "expecting Staal to shoot". He watched Staal pass to LaRose, and he followed the puck to LaRose.

Like I said, if the situation were reversed, and LaRose had taken the shot and the puck had been swallowed, there'd be complaints about how he can't finish his chances or how he should have passed it back to Staal.

How can you say one post: give credit to the defender for making a good play, then the next minute say LaRose did the right thing.

If I'm giving credit to the defender for making a good play, as in taking the passing lane, then how can LaRose do the right thing by attempting to make a pass when the defender is blocking the passing lane.

This has nothing to do with people complaining if LaRose took the shot and it got swallowed. Frankly, I don't know too many people who would have complained if LaRose took the shot, b/c in this particular instance, LaRose should have taken the shot. There's no point in trying to make a pass, when the defender is in position to break up the pass.

Then obviously, you have a lot more faith in Canes fans than I do. He takes the shot and the topic would be filled with

"Staal sets him up perfectly, and he can't finish. That's why he doesn't deserve the Top 9"

LaRose attempted to get it to the guy who had already scored twice that particular night. Should he have shot? That depends on your view on risk and reward. Taking the shot is low risk, low reward. Making the pass is high risk, high reward, because Staal probably would have buried it.

And I'll point out that without LaRose's hustle, that 2-on-1 never develops. It was Staal in a one-on-one situation, while the rest of the team was near our blueline.

Then obviously, you have a lot more faith in Canes fans than I do. He takes the shot and the topic would be filled with

"Staal sets him up perfectly, and he can't finish. That's why he doesn't deserve the Top 9"

LaRose attempted to get it to the guy who had already scored twice that particular night. Should he have shot? That depends on your view on risk and reward. Taking the shot is low risk, low reward. Making the pass is high risk, high reward, because Staal probably would have buried it.

And I'll point out that without LaRose's hustle, that 2-on-1 never develops. It was Staal in a one-on-one situation, while the rest of the team was near our blueline.

Well, at least we all agree that if LaRose DOES shoot...he misses.

LaRose blows.

Now I see the problem. You are basing his play as being the right decision based on what Canes fans would say if he took the shot.

The play should be decided on whether or not he had the pass. LaRose didn't have the pass, therefore, he should have taken the shot and hope there's a rebound. If the defender didn't take the passing lane, then by all means give it to the guy who is likely to put it in the net. But the whole point is that the defender took the passing lane, there was no pass to be had, so passing the puck and not taking the shot wasn't the right decision.

And I'll point out that I never said Chad doesn't hustle.

Like I said, depends on what you wanted done. I believe if he shot, the result would have been the same either way. At least with the pass, there was a chance to score.

And again, the same sort of situation developed later in the game, and Samsonov made the same decision. In fact, IIRC, Samsonov had Ruutu to one side of the net, he was to the other and he actually did a little drop pass to Staal instead of taking the shot or getting it to Ruutu.

But in the end, does it really matter? LaRose made far more good plays last night than bad, and when all is said and done, we got the 2 points.

Like I said, depends on what you wanted done. I believe if he shot, the result would have been the same either way.

So what you're really basing all this on isnt what the fans would think, its all about your lack of faith in the 4th liner. ;)

LaRose made far more good plays last night than bad, and when all is said and done, we got the 2 points.

Really? Can you elaborate on some of these good plays because I must have missed them. :huh:

So what you're really basing all this on isnt what the fans would think, its all about your lack of faith in the 4th liner. ;)

Call it a lack of faith if you want, I call it reality. A sniper, LaRose is not.

Really? Can you elaborate on some of these good plays because I must have missed them. :huh:

I can recall Bayda taking a shot, and LaRose crashing the net for a rebound. Something that seemed to be a complaint with Canes fans for a while. I can recall Forslund and Tripp commenting about how well the 4th line played after a long shift from that particular line. Said that Mo started the 2nd with the 4th line because of all the PP time in the first. Put trust in them to energize the team and give the team a jump to start the 2nd.

Just a hunch....

Perhaps Maurice and Francis decided to reduce LaRose's playing time and eventually scratch LaRose because they were tired of seeing him get knocked around on the ice and repeatedly get pushed off the puck.

He seems to have no strength whatsoever. He doesn't seem to mind hitting people, but he doesn't seem to have any impact. I recall laughing at the most recent Washington game when he made a run at Ovechkin and Ovechkin simply stuck his left arm out and knocked him down. LaRose gets knocked off the puck constantly. He just doesn't seem to have any strength.

I like how the answer was completely ignored on page 5.

He isn't a great stick handler, and he is pushed over with ease. You can't cycle the puck when one of your players can't win a battle because the other team just pushes him down on the ice.

If you are looking for puck possession on offense, Chad Larose is a 4th line player.

I feel its a shame LaRose isn't getting the ice time he had under Lavi, simply because he was having a breakout season. If he kept playing that way he could certainly find a place on somebody's third. He has to be frustrated about the whole situation... He stopped to see the crowd after a game a few weeks ago after he scored and you could tell he was in heaven. Shame. Hopefully he can find a spot on a team that could use him.