The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jdog-fp6

Anyone catch TSN TV and "possible Jason Spezza trade"

Don't think we need another center. Though, if we could get him for Samsonov + Kaberle, I say take it and run.

Probably not going to happen though.

I could see him playing wing with Staal.

Good God, that'd be a beast line. Spezza sending feeds to Ruutu and Staal...

Oh well, a man can dream.

Just left Ottawa's Web site.

Senators coach shaking it up!

Big line becomes three as Hartsburg tries to dig team out of its funk

Rob Brodie OttawaSenators.com

On the heels of a disappointing 4-1 home-ice loss to the Atlanta Thrashers on Tuesday night, Hartsburg decided a major shuffling of his lines was in order. When the Senators face off against the Devils in Newark, N.J., on Friday night (7 p.m., Rogers Sportsnet East, Team 1200), Daniel Alfredsson, Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza will find themselves spread across three lines instead of together as one.

This might happen before trades happen!

This would be a great holiday gift! Can't imagine that the players named would be the actual package. Ottawa is looking for scoring depth and expiring contracts. I think Staal might play wing with Spezza at center. You're right Caniacal, what a line! It would create some positioning questions for the Canes to bring in Spezza, but I think it'd be worth it. If JR is making these types of inquiries, that's a very good sign for our team!

I am watching TSN and I did hear that there was a team intersed in him but when I heard it they did not mention any teams but that there were teams interesed.

With the terrible season Ottawa is having I guess they are looking for some changes. A few teams have shown interest in Jason Spezza, one being Carolina. Has anyone heard anything? What they said was Sergei Samsonov and Frank Kaberle, plus a draft pick going to Ottawa in exchange for Jason Spezza. I honestly dont believe it, but stranger things have happened. Has anyone heard anything? I looked on there website and nothing has been said.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Well, however, I could see this one happening at least more likely than Gaborik coming here. But still...I doubt it.

Spezza could as well be cemtering the 2nd line instead of brindy, and serving Whitney and Williams.

As much as I love Jason spezza, i can't see the canes jumping at this one unless they can really shed some salary in the deal. Lot sof teams will be going after Spezza with more to offer than Samsonov, draft pick and Kaberle. spezza is one of the elite playmakers in this league and I gotta imagine they'd want top tier prospects or an all-star involved in the trade.

But hey, i hope I am wrong, i'd love to see him take Rod's spot on the 2nd line.

Let's get real people....

We ain't spending that kinda money and our defense is not healthy enough right to trade one of our top 6 away.

This will be a great trade if you want Babchuk playing every night.....

This trade doesn't make sense. First of all, from the financial angle, we're taking almost $3M in additional salary , and we're already over the self-imposed cap. This also leaves us very heavy down the middle, and light on the wings, and I am not a big fan of converting natural centers to wings. The only way I see this working out is if instead of the draft pick we throw Matt Cullen in the mix. The $ looks about even in that case, and we would have Staal and Spezza centering our top 2 lines, and move Brind'Amour down to the third. But that also means moving Eaves, Bayda, or Larose up to 1 of the 2 top lines.

This trade doesn't make sense. First of all, from the financial angle, we're taking almost $3M in additional salary , and we're already over the self-imposed cap. This also leaves us very heavy down the middle, and light on the wings, and I am not a big fan of converting natural centers to wings. The only way I see this working out is if instead of the draft pick we throw Matt Cullen in the mix. The $ looks about even in that case, and we would have Staal and Spezza centering our top 2 lines, and move Brind'Amour down to the third. But that also means moving Eaves, Bayda, or Larose up to 1 of the 2 top lines.

I agree with your points, especially about moving natural centers, BUT I still think this trade can make great sense for the Canes by upgrading overall team quality. It may be that JR is looking to make further moves after Spezza to balance out personnel, or he might wait for the offseason for that and experiment for the rest of this season. On the experiment end, I wonder if JR might be looking at Staal's faceoff percentage and playing style and looking to try him out on the wing and see what happens (not that I like this idea, but I wonder...). On the money side, if the Canes are considering loosening the belt to bring in a great player, that's a positive. If the money in the deal needs to even out, adding the quality is still a positive. IMO, if this rumor is valid, it's a positive because it indicates that the team is willing to consider changing up it's approach from the past and look to bring some high quality fresh air to the team.

I agree with your points, especially about moving natural centers, BUT I still think this trade can make great sense for the Canes by upgrading overall team quality. It may be that JR is looking to make further moves after Spezza to balance out personnel, or he might wait for the offseason for that and experiment for the rest of this season. On the experiment end, I wonder if JR might be looking at Staal's faceoff percentage and playing style and looking to try him out on the wing and see what happens (not that I like this idea, but I wonder...). On the money side, if the Canes are considering loosening the belt to bring in a great player, that's a positive. If the money in the deal needs to even out, adding the quality is still a positive. IMO, if this rumor is valid, it's a positive because it indicates that the team is willing to consider changing up it's approach from the past and look to bring some high quality fresh air to the team.

Spezza will be making $8M per year for the next 5 years. Staal will be making $8.25M for the next 7 years. That is $16.25M in 2 players for the next 5 years. Hate to say it, but PK will not pay 2 players $16.25M. Not to mention no one else on this team will make Staal money.

As wonderful as it sounds to have a one two punch of Staal and Spezza, PK won't pay that much for 2 players.

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk makes it to roughly 15 games per season. And when he's in town, those who work for him describe him as low key and low maintenance.

Unless meetings are scheduled, the players and coaches don't even know he's there.

That being said, Melnyk was at Tuesday night's game at Scotiabank Place and like many who watched the Senators' 4-1 loss to the Atlanta Thrashers, he bolted early.

His sudden departure didn't go unnoticed and has sparked speculation that Melnyk expects change.

Now Senators general manager Bryan Murray is aware of the speculation. He hears the whispers, but said there were no indications given about firing anyone or demanding a trade in his meeting with Melnyk on Tuesday.

However, like most around the organization, Murray admits that Melnyk is frustrated.

The two are expected to meet again later this week.

Murray has been actively trying to make a deal and is willing to consider almost anything, but does that mean Ottawa's Big Three of Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza and captain Daniel Alfredsson are vulnerable?

At the moment, Murray says no.

According to Murray, Alfredsson will never be traded, while Heatley has a no-trade clause and won't be asked to waive it.

So that leaves Spezza.

Murray admitted that one team called three weeks ago asking about Spezza's availability, but said he declined the interest, adding, "there was no consideration given to that and that hasn't changed."

Now with 12 goals and 22 points in 29 games, Spezza is well off the pace he established last season when he recorded a career high 92 points in 76 games and earned a seven-year, $49 million extension in the process.

Spezza's market value is low, but there is a market. And for the time being, the Senators intend to exercise patience.

There u go!!