The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
lilfansmom

We all know "RED" but what about home of the CANES

I am glad to see others feel the same way I do! I served for 10 years and was taught to RESPECT the colors, the Anthem, and my Country. It actually bothers me to great lengths when people change the way it is sung. Other songs people can mess with but NOT the National Anthem. I consider it a sacred song and whenever I hear people try to "jazz it up" to their style, it crawls under my skin.

So "NO", please don't mess with the National Anthem!!!

Thanks!

Boo Hoo,you people need to learn how to have some fun.....

<-- has no disrespect whatsoever for flag or country, son knew with correct key and words the ENTIRE song end to end (not just the first verse as most Americans do) before his 3rd birthday. I still cry when I hear it, as a matter of fact; it brings images of the flag-draped coffins and images of Arlington and September 11th to mind. Moving right along, I guess it's time to go back to reading all the whining and whimpering about why we're losing, or inconsistent, or whatever -- at least this thread was a little different, if not annoying to some posters?

Wasn't annoying to me, LilFansMom. I ALREADY substitute "Canes" for "brave" whenever I'm at a game. I don't know about others, but I go to games to HAVE FUN, not to limit my fellow fans' right to free speech.

Sing Bingo or Old McDonald if you want to sing a song for fun. Our National Anthem nor Canada's anthem were written to be sung for fun, they were written for remembrance and patriotism. Maybe nothing in recent years is anything to be proud of but there were alot of people in the Ardennes Forest 60 years ago to this date that were freezing thier butts off and would have absolutely loved to have had the chance to sing the anthem at a baseball game rather then fight a World War but they did so you didn't have to. Respect them for all of the 3 minutes that song takes to sing and sing it properly.

Heres a story on some of the "brave", people seem to have forgotten. Tell me what the Canes had to do with this to use thier name in the national anthem?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/23/slave.camp.honor/index.html

Same here. I'm locked at attention and facing the flag. I can't stand to hear folks yelling out during the National Anthem...I have a near Slapshot moment every time: "I'm listening to the *edit* Is it too much to ask to take your damn hat off, put down the beer, and give your flag a couple minutes of your undivided respect?

Well said Billy,,well freakin said!!!

With "RED", we're still using the words of the anthem, just putting emphasis on a particular word. Changing the words seems a little disrespectful to me.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think there's really anything wrong with what we do now, but when you change the words, then it starts to get inappropriate.

If you have the voice and inclination to shout any single word during the national anthem, you should sing the entire thing.

We are asked, as citizens attending a sporting event, to take a few minutes of our time to reflect on the privilege we are given as Americans. We have the opportunity to travel to a stadium or arena, watch professional athletes, and cheer our team, because our nation is free. That freedom is not shared in every nation around the world.. this privilege of independence and opportunity is only for a lucky few. And that freedom has not been easily won in our history.. men and women have died for it. This is not a cliche, this is hard truth.. despite how easily we dismiss the concept of Memorial Day as just another day off from work, or how inconvenient it might be to put down a cellphone while the anthem is being played.

It is shameful that some consider this the correct moment to divert the meaning of the words of our anthem to elevate themselves or their team. There are no words that relate just to one team, or one group. It is a national anthem, and as Americans we all share it equally.

All we are asked to do is stand, remove our hat, and be respectful. Sing along if we have the voice. If not, be silent and listen, and save your cheers for the competition.

If my memory serves me well, Jose Theodore doesn't remove his hat or goalie mask completely during the anthem. I wish I was in arms length to take it off myself. pay attention next time they come to town, especially if he is on the ice.

Boo Hoo,you people need to learn how to have some fun.....

Thank you for commenting on my post and voicing your opinion. We live in a nation that allows that right and, were I do not agree with you, I support the Right to Free Speech.

BUT...I feel sorry for you as a person that you were not taught the meaning of respect, honor, and patriotism. The problem with America today is just that. People are so caught up in their own little world today that they never step back and say 'Thank You' to the people that provide that right. You cannot even honor a song of independence that was written so long for all American to enjoy and respect that you feel "having fun" is more important for those few minutes.

I hope one day everyone will understand that freedom does not come cheap and with loss of life. I hope that everyone will respect that which all those lives were lost for. We all stand together, for those few minutes, just to HONOR, RESPECT, and THANK all those that provided this for us.