The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
djharley

Maurice OR Francis

After the turn around of the last few games I don't care who is coaching, Mo, Ronnie, heck the little girl singing the National Anthem can coach if she gets results like the last week!

You might be right on my projecting a fantasy, I think it would be one of those sports stories greater than life if Ronnie could coach the team he never won the Cup playing for to another Coaching.

I find it interesting that we announce our Associate Head Coach on the jumbotron. I can't help but think with JR and PK's true admiration of Mo that he is our next GM or Assistant GM and our next Head Coach is Ronnnie if he wants the job. I guess we can follow Jason Karmanos to see what duties he is taking with the club since his return to get a hint maybe.

Who knows for sure? Frankly, I think JR shot Kennedy from behind the grassy knoll with Kevin McCarthy as an accomplice. heheh :-P

Hey Guys,

Me and the gf went to yesterdays Canes game in Boston and sat against the glass behind the Hurricanes bench. It was one of the best afternoons of my life. Paul Maurice is DEFINITELY in charge. Ronnie Franchise hangs out with the forwards and gives notes to players after shifts. Most of the time he was just chewing gum and telling the boys "good shift" "way to work" etc etc etc. Paul was in charge. I would actually say Tom Rowe was more involved in overall team coaching. He and Maurice were conferring on everything. Ronnie Francis was my absolute #1 hero growing up as a die hard Whalers fan, so I made sure to keep an eye on him behind the bench after reading this posting earlier in the week. I do think the Canes management are grooming Ronnie for the head coaches spot, but I would say he is the 3rd head on our coaching totem pole...at least he was yesterday.

Hey Guys,

Me and the gf went to yesterdays Canes game in Boston and sat against the glass behind the Hurricanes bench. It was one of the best afternoons of my life. Paul Maurice is DEFINITELY in charge. Ronnie Franchise hangs out with the forwards and gives notes to players after shifts. Most of the time he was just chewing gum and telling the boys "good shift" "way to work" etc etc etc. Paul was in charge. I would actually say Tom Rowe was more involved in overall team coaching. He and Maurice were conferring on everything. Ronnie Francis was my absolute #1 hero growing up as a die hard Whalers fan, so I made sure to keep an eye on him behind the bench after reading this posting earlier in the week. I do think the Canes management are grooming Ronnie for the head coaches spot, but I would say he is the 3rd head on our coaching totem pole...at least he was yesterday.

Welcome and thanks for the update. You got a good game yesterday and hopefully didnt get too stuck in all the snow.;)

Welcome and thanks for the update. You got a good game yesterday and hopefully didnt get too stuck in all the snow.;)

TSA,

Great game, shame about the ending. The Canes took it to Boston for most of the game. The game really changed after Bergerons injury. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. After the collision, the B's changed lines and Sobotka and Thornton combo punished the canes for the rest of the game. They were clearly the most dominant line. The Canes 4th line looked great as well. Staal line was clearly frustrated, Eric must have slammed his stick against the boards 5 or 6 times in a row at one point. The Canes stepped it up against one of the better teams in the league and made a good showing in hostile territory. I would have liked some points, but at least they were in it to the end. We need an even better showing tonight. Maurice, Francis and Rowe seem to be a pretty good group. I admit I wasnt exactly thrilled about the Laviolette firing and Pauls re-hire, but after yesterday I am completely sold. Also, a giant Thankyou to the Canes equipment team Wally T., Bob G. and Skip C. for being so friendly to our whole section. They are true ambassadors for our club and I am pretty sure I saw Wally convert more than a couple of youngsters into Hurricanes fans. A great snowy Saturday in Beantown. Lets take it to Les Habitants in Montreal tonight.

Go Canes!!!

After watching the Montreal game it does appear that Ronny is running the show, and I think its only logical to see him take the reins next season. Remember Mo only signed a contract for the remainder of this season. I'll have the eyes on Ronny and the bench tonight.

There is a lot more to say about the offense. I assert that offense is all about moving the puck while defense is about responsibility and discipline.

A creative offense and a sound defense is what we are aiming for IMO. BTW we don't need to trade or bench any players for either one to happen. When both happen for 60 minutes every game, winning streaks happen.

Thanks for the up close view on a subject of great interest and speculation here.

Paul Maurice is DEFINITELY in charge. Ronnie Franchise hangs out with the forwards and gives notes to players after shifts. Most of the time he was just chewing gum and telling the boys "good shift" "way to work" etc etc etc. Paul was in charge. I would actually say Tom Rowe was more involved in overall team coaching. He and Maurice were conferring on everything.

With the way the Bruins started to dominate, I would say the issue at hand was how to stop the Bruins and how to get it out of the back and into the attack zone. The Bruins appeared to me to be applying far more pressure on the puck than we usually see. Froggy described it well last year. Something like "left wing trap" where 2 forwards applied pressure while a 3rd waited near the middle of the ice to pounce on opportunities. This would take some solving and coaching our D-men. And it could have been as simple as in the grand coaching scheme of things, yesterday was "D Day." We have seen the O get a lot in the first days of TomMoRon and rightly so.

Thanks for the up close view on a subject of great interest and speculation here.

With the way the Bruins started to dominate, I would say the issue at hand was how to stop the Bruins and how to get it out of the back and into the attack zone. The Bruins appeared to me to be applying far more pressure on the puck than we usually see. Froggy described it well last year. Something like "left wing trap" where 2 forwards applied pressure while a 3rd waited near the middle of the ice to pounce on opportunities. This would take some solving and coaching our D-men. And it could have been as simple as in the grand coaching scheme of things, yesterday was "D Day." We have seen the O get a lot in the first days of TomMoRon and rightly so.

Every team pretty much runs the left wing lock already. That is basically the 1st defensive scheme every team from pee wees to pros use in one variation or another. The Canes use it (or a simple variation) heavily because of the aggressive fore checking scheme used by the club since Peter Lav's took over the reigns from Mo a few years back. The coaching philosophy hasnt seemed to change much in the transition back to Paul Mo. If anything he is going back to Peter Lavs defensman pinch heavy scheme of the championship season. Corvo, Pitkanen and Sidenberg spend alot of time deep in the opponents offensive zone over the last week or so. It is up to the forwards to key on that and cover the back end. As for yesterday, The Bruins were aggresive and the Canes struggled handling some of the pressure. The Canes came out fast and aggressive but couldnt keep it up. The Big Bad Bruins just kept coming and coming. The Canes were having a lot of trouble with Breakouts (set plays to get the puck out of thier own end) and lost the fluidity to thier game that they generally rely on. To keep on the thread subject, Tom Rowe and Paul Maurice were really on the blueliners about feeling the pressure and making a good first pass. My main man, Super Joe Corvo's turnover that gave S.Thornton his goal was exactly what Mo and Tom Rowe were harping about to the blueliners. The Canes still looked good for most of the day. At least from my seats anyway.

In the post game Mo was careful to NOT throw Scorvo under the bus for that turnover. My thought was Gleason crowded Corvo allowing Thornton to be there also for the TO. Mo has talked about spacing as relates to the offense and it likely has application for defense as well. I'd like to see the sequence in SloMo. While the left wing trap is a staple tactic, Boston was doing something different, some wrinkle, that my hockey knowledge is not sophisticated enough to pick up. The Canes seem to "play it safe," backing off and skating backwards into the zone with Boston bringing it in unchecked.

I don't know enough about hockey but it would seem to me that a hard check when a forward was about to possess the puck would stop movement into our zone. Were I a D-man, I would relish the opportunity to "lay the wood" on those forwards who were forechecking me all night. Those forwards would be like the Mule who wouldn't shake his head no matter what you did to him. The only way you could get him to shake his head was to ask, "Do you want me to do that again." I expect the forwards anticipation level would rachet up a bit after a few hard checks by a D-man. I wouldn't do such a thing personally :lol: but I know some who would let a forward know, "Next time you check me hard unnecessarily, be sure your mouth piece is in and you got your athletic supporter pulled up real tight." Sorry but I believe in "religious sports adages" such as, "An eye for an eye and a concussion for a concussion," and "It's better to give than receive," and maybe "Do unto others before they do unto you."

I don't know about Corvo, Pitkanen, Kaberle and Babchuk, but I believe Gleason, Seidenberg and Wallin would check those forwards who were about to receive lead passes into next Sunday. I expect Corvo and Pitkanen would buy into an aggressive checking mode rather quickly. And I don't mean reckless checking attempts, just when the opps were there.

Go to YouTube and check out Andrew Ladd of Chicago checking a D-man into the next county. The D-man was between the boards and one of his forwards and had no where to hide when Ladd hit him. It had retaliation written all over it.

Again, thanks for the report on what you saw at the game.

Every team pretty much runs the left wing lock already. That is basically the 1st defensive scheme every team from pee wees to pros use in one variation or another. The Canes use it (or a simple variation) heavily because of the aggressive fore checking scheme used by the club since Peter Lav's took over the reigns from Mo a few years back. The coaching philosophy hasnt seemed to change much in the transition back to Paul Mo. If anything he is going back to Peter Lavs defensman pinch heavy scheme of the championship season. Corvo, Pitkanen and Sidenberg spend alot of time deep in the opponents offensive zone over the last week or so. It is up to the forwards to key on that and cover the back end. As for yesterday, The Bruins were aggresive and the Canes struggled handling some of the pressure. The Canes came out fast and aggressive but couldnt keep it up. The Big Bad Bruins just kept coming and coming. The Canes were having a lot of trouble with Breakouts (set plays to get the puck out of thier own end) and lost the fluidity to thier game that they generally rely on. To keep on the thread subject, Tom Rowe and Paul Maurice were really on the blueliners about feeling the pressure and making a good first pass. My main man, Super Joe Corvo's turnover that gave S.Thornton his goal was exactly what Mo and Tom Rowe were harping about to the blueliners. The Canes still looked good for most of the day. At least from my seats anyway.

I don't care if Dancin' Granny, Stormy and Ron the Ref are behind the bench as long as we win! :lol:

Though I'd have to say Mo is calling the shots behind the bench while Francis has free reign to impart knowledge as he sees fit.

I'd put that trio on the ice, not behind the bench: Granny as a shifty, quick RW sniper, Stormy with his grace and speed at center, and Ron the Ref as a big power-forward LW. They'd be the perfect compliment to the Ruutu/Staal/Samsonov line and give the Canes some secondary scoring. :P Maybe they ought to give me the GM position when Rutherford leaves!

Glad I could lend my expertise to this thread. <_<

Interesting thought as were the preceding posts. The missing piece is acknowledging Tom Rowe's work with the D-men.

Here's what I had to say about this on Dec. 9:

"There's something that is more than a little out of the ordinary with Paul Maurice coming back to Carolina to coach. Ya think? Toronto and The Canes management seem mighty cooperative, Toronto is letting JR have Mo for small slice of his salary but what has Carolina got that Toronto wants? The answers might be these "12 Steps of Recovery" for the dysfuntional Canes.

"So what do we have that we know:

1. Paul Maurice is the Head Coach, structuring his staff like a business manager (General Manager?)

2. Ron Francis is in essence apprenticing Mo while coaching the Forwards. Rowe is coaching the Defenders

3. McCarthy is in the press box (not up in Albany where it is logical for him to be), and is likely doing the heavy pencil lifting (admin) for Mo.

Let's say this structure works and the Canes are in the playoffs.

4. It would not be a stretch to see JR go to Toronto as GM next year retire in the near future. (thanks to Hauser)

5. Mo gets promoted to GM here

6. Ron is promoted to Head Coach

7. McCarthy moves back to the bench with Ron and does Ron's admin plus other coaching duties.

8. Ron assists Mo regarding personell issues. (Team Approach to management.)

9. Rowe continues to work with the Defenders while Ron continues to coach the forwards

10. Ron is available to Mo as unofficial Assistant GM. For 10 & 11 the relationship is being built now.

11. Mo available to Ron in his new role as head coach for whatever Ron might need. (Team Approach to management.)

12. The Canes win the Stanley Cup & JR is GM of the year for orchestrating this plan.

"Paul has delegated responsibility to Ron and Tom. I like the way they are working together as a team now. I also like that half the team (say the forwards) isn't standing around while the other half (D-men) is being coached.

With the set-up above, the coach would be in on the GM's thinking and planing on player moves

It is unorthodox to say the least but if it works, expect other clubs to copy it.

Now if Ron doesn't like coaching, all bets are off."

TA, I'm surprised you didn't point out that there was already a thread about this. :P:lol:

not sure what all got posted after this, but felt that a reply to #10 was needed - coaching is enough of a job without being AGM - might we see J. Karmanos return to his old job doing the day-to-day managing / logistics he was doing as Asst. GM before.

not sure what all got posted after this, but felt that a reply to #10 was needed - coaching is enough of a job without being AGM - might we see J. Karmanos return to his old job doing the day-to-day managing / logistics he was doing as Asst. GM before.

As the author of the piece, I was thinking of the interaction/cooperation between GM and Coach and definitely not AGM. My number 10 is not the strongest point in there, OK, but how 'bout cutting me some slack. It wasn't easy making the line items come out to 12. :lol: Honestly, I had forgotten about the Jr. K coming back. Let him handle the day to day heavy lifting of the paper work. :rolleyes: Can you tell how little I give a hoot about the day to day of running a hockey club? ;) I just want to be in charge of the Storm selections. :wub:

As the author of the piece, I was thinking of the interaction/cooperation between GM and Coach and definitely not AGM. My number 10 is not the strongest point in there, OK, but how 'bout cutting me some slack. It wasn't easy making the line items come out to 12. :lol: Honestly, I had forgotten about the Jr. K coming back. Let him handle the day to day heavy lifting of the paper work. :rolleyes: Can you tell how little I give a hoot about the day to day of running a hockey club? ;) I just want to be in charge of the Storm selections. :wub:

wasn't being critical... just adding a bit to a generally well thought out post, sorry you took it that way.

wasn't being critical... just adding a bit to a generally well thought out post, sorry you took it that way.

I really didn't take as being critical. Pls read me again and notice the self-deprecating humor.

Thank you for bothering to read the original at the level you did. And I appreciate your thought as relates to number 10. My number 4 was upgraded after a comment early on.

Remember writing in haste can sometimes communicate a terseness that is not intended. I encourage you to continue participating and pls don't let something throw you off. Hint: I frequently PM someone I want to clarify something with. I didn't this time because I publicly want to let you know I appreciate your remarks and took no offense.

Happy Holidays,

Phil