The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

The Official VoteForWallin.com thread

We'll hopefully have a website up and running very soon. As soon as we do, we'll provide the link for everyone to spread around and use in their sigs if they want to.

Thanks to a collaboration of several members here, we now have the official VOTEFORWALLIN.com website up and running!

Feel free to add the link in sigs or anywhere you think it'll get some attention. Paul Braneky has mentioned it on his podcast and look for Luke to mention it in his blog about the All Star game on Wednesday when voting begins!

Post it on other boards you belong to, if you're a member on Eklund's site send him an email and alert the Canes blogger there too.

Lets see if we can get Nic Wallin written in :)

**Big thanks to Legend for registering the site, jb_online for creating the design and whatthepuck for the design ideas.

Check out what Bubba, the blogger at CanesCountry.com wrote for us!

All-Star Campaign Started for Wallin

Nic Wallin from H.E.C.

The NHL All-Star nominations have been announced and several familiar names are on the ballot. Representing the Hurricanes are team leaders Ray Whitney, Rod Brind’Amour, and last year’s All-Star MVP, Eric Staal.

Recently, I was informed that some fans are looking for even more possible representation from the Canes.

One of the pleasant surprises this year has been the play of blueliner, Niclas Wallin. Not only has he provided dependable, physical, defensive play in his own end, he has contributed more than ever on offense so far this season.

Wallin has one goal and six assists in 15 games this year, compared to a total of two goals and six assists in all of last season. (66 games). His NHL career high for one season is 10 points, so the defenseman is on pace to shatter his previous career best.

Up until recently, Wallin had also been flirting with the best plus/minus stats in the entire NHL. He leads the team and is among league leaders with hits. Most importantly, “The Secret Weapon” (as he was dubbed by John Forslund), has tied an NHL record for defensemen with three OT game winning goals in the playoffs.

Someone created a special page for Wallin and several fans over on the forums at Carolina Hurricanes.com have started a buzz. Can he get enough votes to make it? At the very least it would show the rest of the NHL that there are more than just a few passionate, southern hockey fans if they can generate several thousand “write-in” votes for the Swede.

Voting starts tomorrow, November 12th.

Good luck to him and best of luck to the fans on this crusade.

http://canescountry.com/blog/2008/11/11/al...ted-for-wallin/

Look for other write ups coming on Hockeybuzz.com, RedandBlackhockey.com, Luke DeCock @ the N&O and some press from XM204 Home Ice!

And from Luke's Blog:

Vote for Wallin? Vote for Wallin!

Submitted by ldecock on 11/11/2008 - 10:07

Fan voting for the NHL All-Star Game begins Wednesday at vote.nhl.com (the site, in a classic bit of NHL marketing, isn't up yet), and a group of Hurricanes fans is looking to get one of their own into the starting lineup.

Not any of the three players -- Eric Staal, Rod Brind'Amour and Ray Whitney -- on the official ballot, but veteran defenseman Niclas Wallin as a write-in candidate.

The movement started last week on a message board and gained momentum quickly. There's already a Web site up and running at VoteForWallin.com.

The Wallin write-in campaign follows on the success of the "Vote for Rory" campaign two years ago that nearly got then-Vancouver Canucks defenseman Rory Fitzpatrick into the starting lineup. (And might have, were it not for some shady circumstances surrounding the voting. This year's voting results will be available online, in real time at vote.nhl.com/results, which should prevent any NHL vote-fixing this time around.)

One difference here is that the Fitzpatrick campaign was at heart a joke -- let's get a guy, who while a good team player and a useful reserve, is about as far from "All-Star" as you can get, into the All-Star Game -- Wallin is actually having a good season and has had a solid career.

But the spirit is the same: It's partly a protest against the actual NHL ballot, which always offers an inexplicably narrow range of candidates for selection. (In the Web era, why not open up every player with an nhl.com bio for voting? Why not offer two forwards, one defenseman and one goalie from each team?) And it's partly an acknowledgement of a player who often goes unacknowledged. As an All-Star, the Secret Weapon would be a secret weapon no more.

Either way, whatever message you'd like to send, a vote for Wallin does it. We've heard a lot about voter turnout this month ... there's no reason to stop now!

If nothing else.. if this gets Nicky and the Hurricanes a few mentions on the big stage then its totally worth it.

Is 18,500 votes (sell out crowd at the RBC) enough to get him in? (Yes I know, there are way more Caniacs then that.. just a nice round number that come to mind ;) )

Ironically with the season he is having and the attention he is gathering he is now the "Not-So-Secret Weapon" ! :lol:

Go get em Nicky... you deserve it!

If nothing else.. if this gets Nicky and the Hurricanes a few mentions on the big stage then its totally worth it.

Is 18,500 votes (sell out crowd at the RBC) enough to get him in? (Yes I know, there are way more Caniacs then that.. just a nice round number that come to mind ;) )

Ironically with the season he is having and the attention he is gathering he is now the "Not-So-Secret Weapon" ! :lol:

Go get em Nicky... you deserve it!

exactly...the odds of him making it aren't great but you know that it would mean a lot to him for the fans to make the effort. does anyone know if he knows about the effort? and is there anyway that we can get it up on the jumbotron during the game? i know that they put birthday messages up there sometimes and it would be a good way to get the entire audience to see it. just a thought.

exactly...the odds of him making it aren't great but you know that it would mean a lot to him for the fans to make the effort. does anyone know if he knows about the effort? and is there anyway that we can get it up on the jumbotron during the game? i know that they put birthday messages up there sometimes and it would be a good way to get the entire audience to see it. just a thought.

No, he isnt aware....yet.

Hmmmm......the jumbotron.....I'l get back to you on this one. ;)

i have connections to the guys at cansevision and i can put a word in for it through my mom

excellent idea...i wonder if we could get tripp to casually mention it during one of the telecasts. he likes to talk about random hockey stuff so maybe if it gets enough attention, he will bring it up. :lol:

Wow, this is going very well. Excellent work everyone, keep it up!

Those are some great ideas! I think both should be realistic... if we get something on the jumbo-tron, I think that would be a huge achievement. If the promotion reached that level, I can almost guarantee that Tripp would bring it up, considering the fact that he is plugged into the gossip and fan news buzzing around the team/area. That would be amazing if he would mention it on FSN at least once on-air... he would probably mention it about every game, considering the magnitude of the promotion.

Wow, this is going very well. Excellent work everyone, keep it up!

Those are some great ideas! I think both should be realistic... if we get something on the jumbo-tron, I think that would be a huge achievement. If the promotion reached that level, I can almost guarantee that Tripp would bring it up, considering the fact that he is plugged into the gossip and fan news buzzing around the team/area. That would be amazing if he would mention it on FSN at least once on-air... he would probably mention it about every game, considering the magnitude of the promotion.

that's what i figured. tripp likes talking about stuff like that. oh and for what it's worth i posted a message on a bunch of the fan sites on facebook. this is going so well :)

Jumbotron is going to be sticky per the rules....working on it.

John Forslund and Tripp have been contacted. :)

I left a link and explanation on "the Wolf Web," North Carolina State University's forum. It would be excellent to get our friends at NC State involved... those are some very motivational people. Who better to spread the word than college students... that is a community of true sports fans and active socialites.

This is pretty awesome.

I felt like I helped, although I didn't. But I'm proud of it anyways.

It would be amazing to get it mentioned on the jumbotron, or through the broadcasts. If it gets big enough it might even get on the news channels on WRAL or something:)

Good job guys.

EDIT: Forgot to mentioned, I'm going to be making a t-shirt, that I'll wear to games if I go to any soon. I'll post a picture when I get it done!