The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
IceFrog999

LaCouture to Russia

Well I can't blame him. Afterall we sent him to Albany after 11 games. Thats not a bad thing but then wen we had tons of injuries we called up everyone else but him. That has got to hurt. So I really dont blame him for leaving.

Well I can't blame him. Afterall we sent him to Albany after 11 games. Thats not a bad thing but then wen we had tons of injuries we called up everyone else but him. That has got to hurt. So I really dont blame him for leaving.

Agreed. Any player over 30 has to consider the option, especially with a family to support (not sure if that applies here). He did ditch the Ducks once too, and has already been overseas, so it's not like its a huge surprise. Noticed earlier today he wasn't on the depth chart or the In the System list, but thought it might have been left over from the rumors a couple weeks ago...

LaCouture had as good a chance with the Canes as he could have anywhere. He played as well as possible. He still got sent down and when the call came it was for Conboy, et al. Don't blame him at all.

LaCouture had as good a chance with the Canes as he could have anywhere. He played as well as possible. He still got sent down and when the call came it was for Conboy, et al. Don't blame him at all.

I blame him when he is under contract and chooses to leave. This leaves Albany in a tough spot and breaks his contract. Now that we have defensemen going down with the "flu" again.. There is a possiblility we could have used him. He has not just messed up the Canes, he messed up the rats too. It speaks a lot to ones integrity, when you sign a contract and don't abide by it. I can't respect anyone who has does that. Go next year.

Good for the bum. I hope he ruined his chance of ever getting back in the NHL. So sick of these players pulling this stuff this year. One of the main reasons I think the Rats are having such a lousy season this season because I do not think they trust each other. They are problay thinking well who is going to leave next. Heck with him did not really want him here any way. Do not want a player here that does not want to be here. Why waste a roster spot when some other kid that wants to be over here could be getting a shot. If I were you guys I would be really mad. Here is a bum like him wasting time with the Canes when one of the prospects could be getting more ice time or a kid that could be in the ECHL but is not because of this jerk is taking up a roster spot. Hope him and Murley both hace a wonderfull time over there and never get another chance over here again, :angry: :angry: :angry:

For the second time this season, a veteran Albany River Rats forward has taken the money and run.

Dan LaCouture left the team on Sunday for Russia, accepting a lucrative offer to play overseas. His move follows that of Troy native Matt Murley, who did the same three days before the regular season opener in October.

I agree with Max. He had a contract and he chose to be dishonorable and not abide by it. He is a grown man and he signed on the line.
And that is one of the things that make me so angry with this whole thing. Is he has a contract. I do not blame him for wanting the money. Like I said before I would want the money also. But he had a chance to go over there before the Canes even signed him. And he decided to sign with the Canes. He has a contract. If you want to go do not wast our time and sign a contract then when things do not go your way act like a child and hey things are not going my way I am leaving. Who know if the Canes wanted to sign someone else but did not because they signed him. And like I said he could have been taking ice time away from a prospect that wants to work his butt off to make it to the NHL. And was not getting the ice time becuase he was here.

Well, reading his own words I have to reconsider my earlier post. It sounds like he felt that he knew he was screwing the team but did it anyways.

Do NHL/AHL contracts specifically adress this "non compete" issue?

Did it mention just how "lucrative" the deal was? I mean loyalty to a minor league team is all well and fine, but if this was serious money it would be awfully hard to walk away from realistically. This is a guy who would very likely never play in the NHL again anyway, and someone throws serious money to "pry" him from the AHL? Very tough to turn down.

Still, he himself said that it would be wrong and then did it.

Like I said I do not blame him for wanting the money. But he had a chance to go there before he even signed with the Canes and decided not to. And like I said he is wasting the Canes time with maybe a prospect not getting the ice time he may have gotten if he had not been here. Or maybe the Canes did not sign someone else they would have liked to sign because they decided to sign him instead. And he had a contract. I am not really worried about him being loyal to us but like I said if I were you guys I would be more mad than me because it is the Canes prospect that may suffer because not getting enough ice time because of someone like him wasting our time. And for him to just bassically say heck with them and walk out on his contract is just wrong. I am sure you guys want these guys down here with us to develop as quick as possible just in case you guys need them in a hurry or want to make a trade and need to bring someone up to replace some one. I would rather have a guy here that wants to be here and wants to work his butt of to get better and wants to work hard to get a call up.

... But he had a chance to go there before he even signed with the Canes and decided not to...

That is what gets under my skin. He had Russia in his back pocket for Plan B all along. Bum has no scruples.

Like I said I do not blame him for wanting the money. But he had a chance to go there before he even signed with the Canes and decided not to. And like I said he is wasting the Canes time with maybe a prospect not getting the ice time he may have gotten if he had not been here. Or maybe the Canes did not sign someone else they would have liked to sign because they decided to sign him instead. And he had a contract. I am not really worried about him being loyal to us but like I said if I were you guys I would be more mad than me because it is the Canes prospect that may suffer because not getting enough ice time because of someone like him wasting our time. And for him to just bassically say heck with them and walk out on his contract is just wrong. I am sure you guys want these guys down here with us to develop as quick as possible just in case you guys need them in a hurry or want to make a trade and need to bring someone up to replace some one. I would rather have a guy here that wants to be here and wants to work his butt of to get better and wants to work hard to get a call up.

I really don't disagree with you. This benefits the Canes and the Rats in no way, and I am first a fan of the team. Also, I am not close enough to the situation to offer any kind of informed opinion. I certainly respect your take more than mine because I have read many of your posts about the Rats and they are excellent and informative.

It's just that putting myself in his shoes I can understand it. Of course his dream is to get back into the NHL. So he is going to take one more whack at it. He signs with the Canes and plays his butt off. He makes the team initially and does as well as he could expect. But it still isn't good enough and he is sent down. OK, OK, he will work at the AHL level and wait for another chance. Then injuries strike the big club and the call comes, but not for him. No offense to Albany, but this is an NHL veteran trying to make a living and get back in the NHL, not a kid with aspirations. It probably became pretty clear that his NHL days were over. Russia is offering him big bucks. The Canes don't really want him. His playing days at any level are numbered. JR can say that he owed the team, but that rarely works the other way. It's a business.

On the other hand, in his own words he said that this was the wrong thing to do, and then he did it. So, in the end I must agree with you. But to me, it's not cut and dry.

That is what gets under my skin. He had Russia in his back pocket for Plan B all along. Bum has no scruples.

Big deal! They always say" it's a business " when a player is released or traded, so why isn't it "business" when a player gets a better deal. Babs played in Russia rather than play in the minors. Just about any person reading this would take a better paying job if offered. This is Dan's job, and he needs to look out for himself first.

I blame him when he is under contract and chooses to leave. This leaves Albany in a tough spot and breaks his contract. Now that we have defensemen going down with the "flu" again.. There is a possiblility we could have used him. He has not just messed up the Canes, he messed up the rats too. It speaks a lot to ones integrity, when you sign a contract and don't abide by it. I can't respect anyone who has does that. Go next year.

I'm sorry but if I have the chance to make $30 and hour with my current employer or $45 an hour with competitor to do the same job. I'm gone...contract or not. Tkaing care of ones family and future comes first.

Big deal! They always say" it's a business " when a player is released or traded, so why isn't it "business" when a player gets a better deal. Babs played in Russia rather than play in the minors. Just about any person reading this would take a better paying job if offered. This is Dan's job, and he needs to look out for himself first.

Big deal that he has no morals? That is a shame the you think that way.

I know it is all 'business', but contracts are not broken when players are traded. Even Lavi is still getting paid according to his contract, even though he was fired. No morals broken. LaC walked out. Anyone who walks out on a contract, regardless of the job, lacks morals. In walking out, imho he basically thumbed his nose at the Hurricanes orginization and the NHL.

And I wouldn't necessarily take a better paying job if offered. I actually turned one down two years ago, and I wasn not in a contract with my current employer.

We have to remember that LaCouture had stated he had worked very hard to make it back to the NHL and then actually plaved very well at the first of the season only to be sent to AHL. That is something I never understood or accepted that Lavi did. That must have been a blow to him since he really did prove himself worthy of being on the Canes bench. The money offer was the icing on the cake and I agree in this day and time you have to put your family and future first not the organization who dissed you at a time when you deserved better. The Canes made a big mistake not keeping him on the 4th line, something we will learn to regret in the future since Eaves has proven not to be the player he was expected to be.

I haven't seen the actual dollars posted here, but if I remember, going to Albany means working for minimum wage vs being on the NHL roster. Really not much money. I don't blame him for taking the money at the end of his career. He probably knows he is done in the NHL anyway, so burning the bridge isn't the important thing to him. I say good luck.

Remkin, I really like your take on it, I agree 100%, except for this:

On the other hand, in his own words he said that this was the wrong thing to do, and then he did it. So, in the end I must agree with you. But to me, it's not cut and dry.

Actually, what he said was

Big deal that he has no morals? That is a shame the you think that way.

I know it is all 'business', but contracts are not broken when players are traded. Even Lavi is still getting paid according to his contract, even though he was fired. No morals broken. LaC walked out. Anyone who walks out on a contract, regardless of the job, lacks morals. In walking out, imho he basically thumbed his nose at the Hurricanes orginization and the NHL.

And I wouldn't necessarily take a better paying job if offered. I actually turned one down two years ago, and I wasn not in a contract with my current employer.

Where do "morals" fit in? Babs did just about the same thing. It doesn't look like JR was too interested in morals. If he was, Babs would never have been brought back. LaCoture wasn't going to figure in the future of the Canes. Who cares. That was his decision. I'm in no position to pass judgement on what someone else decides to do with their career. I don't claim moral superiority over anyone. They have to make the choices that affect their lives.

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I understand the desire of a player to make as much money as he can before his playing days are over. On the other hand, if you sign a contract, you are obligated to the terms of that contract.

I wonder if the NHL could require any NHL team signing a player that has broken a contract with an NHL team to repay the original team any money paid to that player. So if LaCouture goes to Russia and then returns to the NHL his new team would be required to pay the Hurricanes any salary paid to him under the broken contract. This would deter players from choosing this option if they ever want to play in the NHL and keep teams from welcoming back contract jumpers.

Also, can the teams not sue for breach of contract?

Corrupt Hockey players?

What's next? :o

I don't get how you sign for a team, then decide to say.. you know what? Screw them im off to Russia and get paid more dough.. i don't care if i break a contract..

What is the deal with all these players off to Russia suddenly?

Free Pie? Cookies?

come on..

I do not care what anyone says he had his chance to go and did not and signed a contract to play over here. Then he just up and goes. Like I said I do not blame him for wanting the money but he should have thought about that before he signed the contract. I hope he has ruined any chance he had left of ever playing in the NHL. He just wasted our time and wasted time of prospects who should have gotten more ice time over him. Glad he is gone do not want a player that does not want to be here and honor his contracts.