The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
obxcaneadian

When will the Hurricanes Pre Game show come back on TV ?

When the Canes re-signed with Fox Sports for this season, the pre-game show was cut from the package. So, you will not be seeing it at all this season. Not sure how long the current TV contract is for. In any event, I didn't get a whole lot out of the pregame show last year as many of the segments in the pre-game were simply recycled during the between period intermissions.

When the Canes re-signed with Fox Sports for this season, the pre-game show was cut from the package. So, you will not be seeing it at all this season. Not sure how long the current TV contract is for. In any event, I didn't get a whole lot out of the pregame show last year as many of the segments in the pre-game were simply recycled during the between period intermissions.

I realize alot of it was recycled, but it was still better than watching the National News at 6:30 :)

Amen to that. And was it last year or the year before where the host was... just... utterly... hockey... illiterate?

I've seen more than one game in HD on Fox Sports Carolinas. Nonetheless, it baffles me why they don't show more games in HD. I listen to the "NHL Hour" NHL radio podcast with Gary Bettman weekly, and this question comes up often. He blames Direct TV for having limited "bandwidth" (or something similar) which prevents them from showing more. I have a hard time believing that they have issues on weeknights with limited bandwidth.

Actually 5 HD games have been broadcast by FS Carolinas. See below link for the rest of the games to be shown.

As for bandwidth issues it doesn't matter what day or night of the week you are dealing with. An HD channel requires the same amount of bandwidth whether it is Monday morning or Wednesday night or Saturday afternoon.

Below Link

Actually 5 HD games have been broadcast by FS Carolinas. See below link for the rest of the games to be shown.

As for bandwidth issues it doesn't matter what day or night of the week you are dealing with. An HD channel requires the same amount of bandwidth whether it is Monday morning or Wednesday night or Saturday afternoon.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=16383' target="_blank">Below Link[/post]

That's true, but what Bettman is saying is that there is finite bandwidth available because other sports events like NFL, etc are bing broadcast in HD at the same time as hockey games. Limited space essentially and Direct TV must choose what they want to show in HD. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

That's true, but what Bettman is saying is that there is finite bandwidth available because other sports events like NFL, etc are bing broadcast in HD at the same time as hockey games. Limited space essentially and Direct TV must choose what they want to show in HD. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

You are correct. Since these providers do not have infinite bandwidth choices must be made and we all know where the NHL falls in that pecking order.

You are correct. Since these providers do not have infinite bandwidth choices must be made and we all know where the NHL falls in that pecking order.

The cable companies whine and moan about bandwidth issues, yet its their pipes. They have been twiddling their thumbs about improving infrastructure, praising their high speed connections trying to get as many customers on these pipes, meanwhile pointing their fingers at consumers for bandwidth usage. Don't be surprised if they don't put in bandwidth caps sooner or later here, as it is happening everywhere else.

To the point, I liked the pre-game show, but then again, I tivo my games so I could always fast-forward if its boring or re-hashed later. I think its a good thing for the team and was surprised to find out it was axed. As to the HD games, more more more more... more!

i don't know about the bandwidth issue, but i have center ice on directv and almost every game for every other team is broadcast in HD. usually there are two HD broadcasts of the same game, with each team's broadcast being shown. even the scrub teams like fla, phoenix, and nashville...teams that no one cares about...are always in hd....it's really irritating that we never are

I have Charter Communications cable close to Hickory, NC. I get all the home games in HD, even the New Years Eve game vs. Atlanta is in HD. Which I have to tape because of a party I have to attend. And the post game show is on, which I love hearing the post game comments and analysis. So thats a great thing.

I have Charter Communications cable close to Hickory, NC. I get all the home games in HD, even the New Years Eve game vs. Atlanta is in HD. Which I have to tape because of a party I have to attend. And the post game show is on, which I love hearing the post game comments and analysis. So thats a great thing.

That is very weird, I have DirecTV and it does not show being on at all on Fox Sports channel 647 at all,( local channel) But is being broadcast on the Thrashers feed in HD on Channel 773-1 which I did expect as it is part of the Center Ice package. Will not see it as I am going to use my STH Voucher and get the FREE TICKETS they are offering to see the game

That is very weird, I have DirecTV and it does not show being on at all on Fox Sports channel 647 at all,( local channel) But is being broadcast on the Thrashers feed in HD on Channel 773-1 which I did expect as it is part of the Center Ice package. Will not see it as I am going to use my STH Voucher and get the FREE TICKETS they are offering to see the game

I saw the HD game on Direct TV 647-1. Canes broadcast.