The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Babchuk-6ft 5, 225 lbs, and 569th in the league in hits

First big guys don't have to hit to be effective players, but that is an opinion I sense is not shared with a lot of people on and off this board.

Second the guy is last in blocked shots but there is a reason for that. He is also has time on ice per game than those other guys and has played fewer games than all of them but Gleason and Pitkanen. I agree he needs to play better if he wants to be more than a bottom pairing guy but he's got bottom pairing stats because he plays bottom pairing ice time.

Shameless plug: Wallin leads the team in hits and is only 1 blocked shot away being first at that too.

VoteforWallin.com

I have always thought that Babycuk played very soft and may be the biggest Wuss in the league, for sure on the Canes. If he would just once throw some of his size around or be willing to fight someone once in awhile.

Stereotypically the European players are not as physical as the North American Defenseman. It's just a different game over there.

Having said that, I felt Babchuk was way overated even at the start of the season that others felt he played great for us in 2006/07. Sure he managed to put his large skates in front of shots, but he was soft, and shakey with the puck getting it out of our zone to start the break out. I've seen nothing that makes me think he is any better then when he left here. Just my 2-Cents.

I'd rather see Casey Borer here getting 10-12 minutes a game then Anton getting 12-14. Given our salary structure and our payroll limitations, Casey Borer is our future next D-Man. Not Anton Babchuk. Especially with a healthy Kabrele playing well this season and Nic Wallin playing like he really wants to win this year.

My 2-Cents.

Shameless plug: Wallin leads the team in hits and is only 1 blocked shot away being first at that too.

VoteforWallin.com

Don't forget about Seidenberg: 67 blocked shots!

Don't forget about Seidenberg: 67 blocked shots!

Good call on the blocked shots but my vote is for Wallin :) Iceberg can get mine next year.

Second the guy is last in blocked shots but there is a reason for that. He is also has time on ice per game than those other guys and has played fewer games than all of them but Gleason and Pitkanen. I agree he needs to play better if he wants to be more than a bottom pairing guy but he's got bottom pairing stats because he plays bottom pairing ice time.

Bingo.

And besides, one of Babchuk's big flaws the first time he was here, and one I'm sure he was chewed out for on multiple occasions, was that he would put himself well out of position to lay a big hit. He also did play an entire year in the RSL. Not entirely sure how they play over there, but that could have some effect on his play as well.

This over-the-top bashing of Babchuk is starting to get ridiculous. He's a 6th-7th pairing defenseman, signed for 1 million, and everyone expects him to play like the next Lidstrom.

This over-the-top bashing of Babchuk is starting to get ridiculous. He's a 6th-7th pairing defenseman, signed for 1 million, and everyone expects him to play like the next Lidstrom.

When you look at our payroll it's very fair for people to expect more out of him at $1,000,000 per year. If he were at league min. or just above it would be different.

When you look at our payroll it's very fair for people to expect more out of him at $1,000,000 per year. If he were at league min. or just above it would be different.

Name a decent, non-rookie defenseman that's signed for less than a million. There are very little, if any at all.

People around here love having skapegoats. This year we have Eaves and Babchuk.

Life isn't as much fun unless you can blame someone. Silly people.

People around here love having skapegoats. This year we have Eaves and Babchuk.

Life isn't as much fun unless you can blame someone. Silly people.

People love having scapegoats everywhere, its not just this board ;)

very true.

Know whats funny? In the preseason, Nic Wallin was the scapegoat de jur, and many had him packed and shipped back to Sweden. Things sure have changed.....

another shameless plug here:

VoteforWallin.com

Babchuk might also not have as many blocked shots because he wasn't seeing as much PK time as say Gleason/Seidenberg/Wallin. I think the main thing about Babchuk is that he seems to think too much in his own end and his confidence level might not be where it needs to be. The thing about the NHL is that while these guys might be world class hockey players in the greatest league, they still have more to learn and can get better. I really think that with Francis/Rowe/Maurice behind the bench the team is going to continue to get better and their confidence is going to grow. Kinda sucks Babchuk was injured though, I thought he was playing rather well lately.

Name a decent, non-rookie defenseman that's signed for less than a million. There are very little, if any at all.

Brett Hedican Ducks

$871,000

Last Year Glenn Wesley

$1,000,000

Teppo Numminen Slugs

$1,100,000

Chris Chelios Wings

$750,000

Patrice Brisebois Habs

$750,000

Luke Richardson Sens

$500,000

Anton Babchuk Canes

$1,000,000 Hrmm ya this fits.

I am not blaming our season on Anton. Don't put words in my mouth. However I do think he is somewhat a wasted spot when we have Casey Borer who is now healthy.

So let's see:

Hedican, who we just let go, and who was literally a last second thought for Anaheim.

Wesley, an aged veteran signing with the team simply to try and win another Cup.

Numminen, signed for more than a million, but still has less hits than Babchuk.

Chelios, see: Wesley

Briseboise, a defenseman that has 17 giveaways and 5 takeaways. Do we really need to go there?

And finally, Richardson, the guy who's played 2 games this year and still manages to wind up a -3? Not to mention he falls under the "aged veteran" category.

if he had 20- 25 hits that would be one thing...... he has 8 hits all year. EIGHT HITS.......... Williams has played 2 games and is right behind him with 4 hits! The guy is 6 foot 5 and there are over 550 players in the league that are more physical.

As I already stated, his first tenure here, he was berated for putting himself out of position to make a hit.

I'd rather him be somewhat sound defensively than worry about him hitting on a team that doesn't hit in the first place. Any particular reason you singled out Babchuk? With the exception of one or two, the entire team doesn't play the body.

My biggest complaint about Babchuk is him NOT hitting. Drives me crazy. I can understand not wanting to put yourself out of position to make the hit, but when the guy is right next to you, hit him. I've seen too often Babchuk and a player along the boards and Babchuk won't lay a hand on him. Go back to Saturday, I think it was Hartnell skated behind the net and he skated right by #33, now why didn't Babchuk knock him on his booty.

If 5'8, 180lb soaking wet Chad LaRose can hit, I don't see why Babchuk can't.

As I already stated, his first tenure here, he was berated for putting himself out of position to make a hit.

I'd rather him be somewhat sound defensively than worry about him hitting on a team that doesn't hit in the first place. Any particular reason you singled out Babchuk? With the exception of one or two, the entire team doesn't play the body.

I agree. IMO Lavi never emphasized the physical part of the game in his system. He was more about speed. That's what we are now left with, with the exception of the few players who actually hit someone. So, right now, if lesshitting from Babchuk results in him being sound defensively then I'm okay with it.

Babchuk reminds me so much of Malik in the season before we let him go...big, slow, always just a stride outside/behind the play. No, I don't think he has to hit to be effective, but he needs to use his size and at the very least stretch out, put that big stick in the mix and dig some pucks out. He's always just standing there, flat-footed, lurking outside the action. And just like Malik, he'll wake up after the trade and kick *edit* for somebody else.

His first tenure here of sitting in the press box during 05-06 and his play early in 06-07 hardly could be described as being berated for putting himself out of position to make a hit.

The only person he's hit in 6 years was a fan at a minor league game with a bottle.

He was berated for being out of position period. His impressively hard slap shot that often went so wide of the net the opposing goal tender never flinched was the other reason he became expendable.

As I said earlier, I don't blame him for where our season is. However, I do think he is occupying a spot that Casey Borer should be in.

I don't think he will ever be a great d-man and if he wants to play Euro style hockey then let him go and play it!!!OVER THERE! He just doesn't seem to be able to think fast on his skates. His decisions when to pinch are usually bad ones. His shot is hard but usually off target(about 3' right of the net).With as big as he is he doesn't have to be a big time banger just use your size and play the body. Its really hard to shoot or even skate with someone with that size being all over you!