2006StanleyCupChampions

Maurice's Report Card

After week one:

4 games and 3 points

1 Win

1 Loss

1 OT loss

1 SO loss

Had one great effort vs the Semin-less Capitals and a complete disaster vs Flyers on 12/11. Worst part about the latter is that we had 3 days to prepare and we went into turtle mode as we played the entire 3rd in our own end. Note to Maurice: You can't protect leads in the "new" NHL.

turtle.jpg

Well, you know how Mo loves to work hard for ties. We should be used to that. Never in my years of watching hockey would I have thought that our aggressive style of play would have caused us to melt last night. We should have come out of that locker room looking for the kill....one more early goal. Instead, the tables were turned. What were they thinking? Philly never gives up, as their resurgence and resurrection from years past has surely shown.

Let me start a war now. Does any think Lavi would have let the guys fall back into defensive mode? NO.

Maurice is a joke. Again robbing peter to pay paul. That would not have happened with Lavi.

And what exactly would have happened with Lavi?

Mo comes in the day before the Canes play 3 games in 4 days. The team gets 1/2 of the points from those games with a depleted roster. Mo then has 3 days to prepare to play a hot Philly team and has to skate an AHL defense. Again, he gets 1 point. I am as frustrated as anyone over the collapse in the 3rd, but that was a group of minor league d-men. Am I satisfied with this point pace as a whole, no, but under the conditions I'll take it.

This team has shown more spunk the last few games. I was so tired of watching their play before the change was made. All of that wasn't Lavi's fault, but you can't fire the team. I like what I've seen the last 4 games and would say to all, give Mo a chance.

Ahh! The sky is falling!!

I think it's way to early to have a "Maurice Report Card" thread. Jeez. The guy has coached us for 4 games, give him a break! I love how many people were talking up Francis' role in the win over Washington, but last night's game is all on Maurice. So, we blew a big lead and ended up with one point. Yeah, it sucked, but it isn't the end of the world. This game could serve as a good lesson to the team who haven't been in many (any?) games this year where they had such a big lead. They let the Flyers take over. If they learn a lesson and make adjustments then I'm fine with it. Let's not forget that we only had 2 NHL defensemen on the roster and our backup goalie in the net.

I'm giving Mo a chance...I hope he learned something from last night too...you can't ever let up.

I just question his TOI allowance for some players...where was Walker last night? Where was Conboy? Why was Brindy on for so long? Sheesh

I think it's way to early to have a "Maurice Report Card" thread. Jeez. The guy has coached us for 4 games, give him a break! I love how many people were talking up Francis' role in the win over Washington, but last night's game is all on Maurice. So, we blew a big lead and ended up with one point. Yeah, it sucked, but it isn't the end of the world. This game could serve as a good lesson to the team who haven't been in many (any?) games this year where they had such a big lead. They let the Flyers take over. If they learn a lesson and make adjustments then I'm fine with it. Let's not forget that we only had 2 NHL defensemen on the roster and our backup goalie in the net.

Amen! Nothing but a bunch of Chicken Littles

:lol: Yes, it is all Maurice's fault. This would've never happened under Lavi, especially with the team we have this year. I mean, this couldn't have happened in Toronto this season already. Only difference is we had less of a lead and were able to barely hang on with a healthier roster against a worse team.

No system is going to work here until a certain on ice leader decides to start being a leader.

If Maurice couldnt stop the waterfall last night, Brindy should have.

I'm impressed how this team was looking since Mo has come back. Though the games I've watched were the pens and last nights games. Like what was said last night Staal probably takes some responsibility for Lavi being fired. So I think with the combination of Mo coming back and Staal getting a spark the team has been much better. Like what has been said before we had 2 nhl starting players and a 1 or 2 players who could be playing in the nhl right now. I'd love to think that in 2 weeks we'll see a better canes team, which we might. With Ward back and some D-men back I wouldn't doubt that the canes could dominate at least for a little bit.

Why is it too early to have a Maurice report card? It's not like he is a "new" coach. He's the same old MO that we knew 4 years ago. He has not movitvated the team nor has he coordinate the skill sets on this team. It's ok to hold people accountable for their jobs. Sometimes you make hiring mistakes and it is much better to undo the mistake early rather then let it go. Come on JR admit your mistake, take corrective action and move on.

They would have came out flat and given up 2 first period goals and ended up losing 4-2.

:lol:

Too soon to tell, but those that already made up their minds before Maurice ever stepped behind the bench, sure seem to know what the future has in store.

Here's a question: If they held on to win it in regulation, would it still be all Maurices fault or would some be praising the 2 period assault and maintaining the third period attack by Philly?

Why is it too early to have a Maurice report card? It's not like he is a "new" coach. He's the same old MO that we knew 4 years ago. He has not movitvated the team nor has he coordinate the skill sets on this team. It's ok to hold people accountable for their jobs. Sometimes you make hiring mistakes and it is much better to undo the mistake early rather then let it go. Come on JR admit your mistake, take corrective action and move on.

wow. you sure have a fine crystal ball. 4 games in and you have decided the fate of the whole team.

This team is on the upswing, with the exception of one period. I think you need at least 20 games to make this type of broad sweeping statement. let's see where the team is Mid-January..

I am as disappointed and frustrated with last night's win as anyone else....but I still think there is a very marked difference in play tempo and enthusiasm, excluding last night's 3rd period, since Maurice came in. Sure, play tempo and enthusiasm mean nothing if you can't finish a game, but at least it gives you a chance. Those last few games under Laviolette, we had lost the game before it began. Hopefully last night's debacle will be a motivating factor for the rest of the season to never be satisfied with a lead...time will tell.

wow. you sure have a fine crystal ball. 4 games in and you have decided the fate of the whole team.

This team is on the upswing, with the exception of one period. I think you need at least 20 games to make this type of broad sweeping statement. let's see where the team is Mid-January..

No I am not just giving responding to his first4 games. I am giving him 4 games plus 7 years of games as the Canes head coach. He has shown me nothing more now then he did then. Remember "People who forget their history are doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over?.

And what exactly would have happened with Lavi?

Mo comes in the day before the Canes play 3 games in 4 days. The team gets 1/2 of the points from those games with a depleted roster. Mo then has 3 days to prepare to play a hot Philly team and has to skate an AHL defense. Again, he gets 1 point. I am as frustrated as anyone over the collapse in the 3rd, but that was a group of minor league d-men. Am I satisfied with this point pace as a whole, no, but under the conditions I'll take it.

This team has shown more spunk the last few games. I was so tired of watching their play before the change was made. All of that wasn't Lavi's fault, but you can't fire the team. I like what I've seen the last 4 games and would say to all, give Mo a chance.

Lets not and say we didn't, We have all watched Maurice's coaching, get a lead and sit on it. under him we snuck into the playoffs a couple times and had one magical run deep to the playoffs. He needs a complete overhaul of his tactics. I'm sorry I saw his product before and it sucked.

No I am not just giving responding to his first4 games. I am giving him 4 games plus 7 years of games as the Canes head coach. He has shown me nothing more now then he did then. Remember "People who forget their history are doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over?.

Bingo, nailed it.

Putting it suscinctly, I disagree with nearly everything that is said (and I suspect 50% of the remaining 19 posts on this thread). I give Billy the benefit of the doubt that his analysis is colored by bitter disappointment. When a result is disappointing, it's natural to look for "reasons" why the outcome ended like it did. I expect that same disappointment is blinding him from seeing the positive development of this talented group of players. A game that has your team scoring 5 goals in 40 minutes, can hardly be called "a complete disaster."

Yes, I'm afraid Billy let his disappointment act like a filter through which some of his comments are, well, a little off target. The win in our previous game is discounted by referring to our opponent as the "Semin-less" Capitals. If we are going to describe the Caps that way, let's be consistent and say the the Flyers had a great effort against the Ward-Gleason-Seidenberg-Wallin-Kaberle-Babchuk-less Canes.

IMO Scotty Bowman, the great hockey God himself, couldn't have coached any better with the NHL and AHL mixture on the ice Thursday night. You don't take 4 AHL defensemen and a back-up goalie and shut down a high powered team like the Flyers all night. To paraphase Abraham Lincoln, You can stop some of the NHL hockey players all of the time and you can stop all the NHL hockey players some of the time, but you can't stop all the NHL hockey players all the time. Our AHL boys in Black couldn't stop the NHL men in white is the bottom line IMO.

I have railed against the Peter Laviolette "Dump and Chase" attack style for going on 2 years. I had grown weary of it and frankly had no enthusiasm for the games. Had Mo come in and taken over for Lavi and continued the Dump and Chase as was feared by some, I might could agree with the griping and complaining about the "terrible coaching that Mo did in the past," that we are having to suffer through it again. But he didn't do that. Mo is NOT trying to win games the old way. Doing so might result in a few more immediate wins and at best, squeaking in the playoffs with no chance to go deep OR failing to get in at all for the third year.

JR has put together a triumvirate of coaches that seems to work: Ronnie working with the forwards, Tom working with the Defense and Mo doing the bench management while coordinating and managing the efforts of all three. This is probably the most forward thinking coaching move in the NHL and the most innovative approach to a coaching staff we may ever see.

When Tiger Flippin Woods changed his golf swing, it took months to get into winning form. The Canes are shifting from a predictable and frankly ineffective style or system of play to a free-flowing game where the players not only are playing better but have a chance to use their talents and develop into even better players. This takes some time. The results are not always immediate. The Canes have been a quick study and so far have done an outstanding job of adapting to what Ron, Tom and Mo want them to do. The results of the coaching and confidence building are obvious to anyone who wants to see them. And as sure as God made little green apples, those results will soon appear in the W/L record as W's.

TomMoRon are in the process of installing a very fluid, passing style of play that reminds me of the Red Wings at their best. I am thrilled to see it happening.

• The Canes are dramatically improving the PP
  • The Canes are passing and carrying the puck jn transition out of defense and into attack effectively.
  • The Canes are getting better quality shots.
  • Individual players are starting to achieve their potential, e.g., Samsonov snapping out of his funky play
  • Staal is a new man and Old Man Brind'amour was on a breakaway. What will we see next?
  • The team seems to like playing the "dump and chase-less" new style of hockey
  • The Canes are fun for fans to watch even if the won/loss watchers aren't happy

So what happened on 12-11 that resulted in a bitterly disappointing loss?

As the young defenders tired (the speed of the NHL game is somewhat faster than the AHL) they did what humans beings do when they get tired, they reverted back to what they were comfortable with, the old way. The icing calls started and the passes up the boards to nobody in particular keep the Flyers in possession. I hardly see this as a coaching decision.

Any time you have a 4 goal lead in the 3rd and lose, it's a bitter disappointment. I'm sure that being the kind of men they are, the coaches, Mo, Ron and Tom, will go over what worked and what didn't work.

One last point of disagreement, TomMoRon didn't spend three days preparing to play the Flyers, they spent most of the 3 days continuing to teach these young men and fine tune a different way of playing. Our Olympic basketball team comprised of the best professionals spent a year learning to play the international game and play as a team. We expect TomMoRon to accomplish that result in a week or 15 days or 15 games.

Wanna take your foot of Mo's neck, please. :D

After week one:

4 games and 3 points

1 Win

1 Loss

1 OT loss

1 SO loss

Had one great effort vs the Semin-less Capitals and a complete disaster vs Flyers on 12/11. Worst part about the latter is that we had 3 days to prepare and we went into turtle mode as we played the entire 3rd in our own end. Note to Maurice: You can't protect leads in the "new" NHL. With the non-aggressive style, Leighton ws continually under fire the entire period and cracked as 6 pucks hit the back of the net after the 2nd. This may have ruined his confidence level for the year and turned him into John Grahame. Unless we have a major overhaul of our offensive styled roster, we cannot be successful playing Maurice styled defensive hockey. Just won't work.

Maurice is a joke. Again robbing peter to pay paul. That would not have happened with Lavi.

Bingo! Lavi hasn't had a 5 to 1 lead in the 3rd period. It couldn't happen to him. :lol: And what does the cliche', "robbing peter to pay paul" mean in the context of NHL hockey? :rolleyes:

Now that he has a few more games under the belt I give Maurice a solid "B".

JR said that the team was lacking confidence and thus brought Mo in to help rectify that. So far so good - the confidence is coming back.

I was one of the many that hated the move initially - so gotta say that I was wrong and JR proves once again why he is the man steering the ship.

Best turnaround for me is the improved defense - especially the way they PASS the puck outta the zone and less of the dreaded "dump and hope" strategy.

Keep it rolling coach - also kudos to Ronnie Franchise - going to be a great head coach one day.

I'll give Maurice an "A" when they get the PP rolling.

LETS GO CANES

Hey Sandhill, good job. I too did not understand the move but was willing to give JR the benefit of the doubt. They have been playing much improved hockey but still have a long way to go.

There are a lot of people on here that are willing to shout and complain but never admit when they are wrong. Thank you for doing so. I know that we still have a long way to go and Mo has to be good for a lot longer than a few weeks but maybe, just maybe, JR knows what he is doing (Mo too).

Now that he has a few more games under the belt I give Maurice a solid "B".

JR said that the team was lacking confidence and thus brought Mo in to help rectify that. So far so good - the confidence is coming back.

I was one of the many that hated the move initially - so gotta say that I was wrong and JR proves once again why he is the man steering the ship.

Best turnaround for me is the improved defense - especially the way they PASS the puck outta the zone and less of the dreaded "dump and hope" strategy.

Keep it rolling coach - also kudos to Ronnie Franchise - going to be a great head coach one day.

I'll give Maurice an "A" when they get the PP rolling.

LETS GO CANES

The good news is that the PK and the PP are next on the list. First should come the work on the 5v5, then and only they does the special work begin. 4v4 is a different breed of cat as well.

Seems Mo has a plan. What a concept.

Do you like his cool demeaner? The lack of panic is carrying over to the play on the ice as well.