The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
2006StanleyCupChampions

Maurice's Report Card

Eating crow is best served with Pepsi which I have. There's still a lot of work to be done but I'll give Mo a B- if we make the playoffs he will definitely deserve an A+.

Seems MO has been a lot more excessible to the media as well. Seems he is always on the pregame show and during the game. HIs quotes to John and Tripp yesterday between the 1st and 2nd period were spot on. He called out the team for lack of toughness and physical play. Called out Roddy and his line for being slower skaters but have to find a way to compete. He is saying the right things, doing the right things so far, lets see if they continue.

Hey Sandhill, good job. I too did not understand the move but was willing to give JR the benefit of the doubt. They have been playing much improved hockey but still have a long way to go.

There are a lot of people on here that are willing to shout and complain but never admit when they are wrong. Thank you for doing so. I know that we still have a long way to go and Mo has to be good for a lot longer than a few weeks but maybe, just maybe, JR knows what he is doing (Mo too).

I will admit I didn't understand the move when we rehired Maurice and said so. I am very happy to eat a little crow.

The team is playing much better under Mo. Agree we have a long way to go but for now give Mo a well done and keep up the good work

Hey Sandhill, good job. I too did not understand the move but was willing to give JR the benefit of the doubt. They have been playing much improved hockey but still have a long way to go.

There are a lot of people on here that are willing to shout and complain but never admit when they are wrong. Thank you for doing so. I know that we still have a long way to go and Mo has to be good for a lot longer than a few weeks but maybe, just maybe, JR knows what he is doing (Mo too).

I will admit I didn't understand the move when we rehired Maurice and said so. I am very happy to eat a little crow.

The team is playing much better under Mo. Agree we have a long way to go but for now give Mo a well done and keep up the good work

..... especially the way they PASS the puck outta the zone .....

By far the most significant change in their play. Second area is carrying it into the offensive zone. This gives hope for an improved result and better outcome to the season than before his arrival.

Seems MO has been a lot more excessible to the media as well. Seems he is always on the pregame show and during the game. HIs quotes to John and Tripp yesterday between the 1st and 2nd period were spot on. He called out the team for lack of toughness and physical play. Called out Roddy and his line for being slower skaters but have to find a way to compete. He is saying the right things, doing the right things so far, lets see if they continue.

Lavi didn't hide from the media, and I found his comments/insight to usually be on the money. For whatever reason, the players stopped responding, but it wasn't because Lavi didn't see it or say it.

While it is too early to really know how this is all going to pan out, I have to give Maurice high marks so far. The defense is looking very good, we are simply not giving up those odd man rushes. We are getting points, and now have a little win streak going. Most guys are playing better. I happen to think Lavi is a good coach, but the change was needed.

How the new staff handles the Brind'Amour situtation will be very telling.

Overall, so far so good.

While it is too early to really know how this is all going to pan out, I have to give Maurice high marks so far. The defense is looking very good, we are simply not giving up those odd man rushes. We are getting points, and now have a little win streak going. Most guys are playing better. I happen to think Lavi is a good coach, but the change was needed.

How the new staff handles the Brind'Amour situation will be very telling.

Overall, so far so good.

i will wait until the 15 game mark and do the percentages but I agree on Lavi going because you have no other choice. Not realistic to fire the entire team so shakeups are part of business, you either trade away a star or fire the coach.

Lavi didn't hide from the media, and I found his comments/insight to usually be on the money. For whatever reason, the players stopped responding, but it wasn't because Lavi didn't see it or say it.

Manwolf, I don't think Lavi hid from the media, just seems Mo tells it like it is as Lavi was sparing some peoples feelings. Goes back to him being a little to "family" and not enough "coach".

After 15 games I'd give Mo a solid B. Clear improvement for the team from the first 25 games. 19 points in 15 games under Mo, over an entire season that will get a team a #1 playoff seed (104 pts)...for this season the Canes are digging out of quite a hole however. The defensive play is greatly improved and the team is begining to be more physical. Goaltending is also improved, but that may just be Cam and not about Mo. If the play from the last 3 games/wins becomes consistent, the team will make the playoffs and the grade will easily be an A. A few letdowns during December, against the Flyers and Bruins are what keep the grade from being better than a B from me for now. Also, looking for the PP to continue to improve and for line TOI and mix to be adjusted during the next 15 games.

At this point I give MO and Staff a solid B. The defensive letdowns have subsided, we are skating the puck and passing out of our own zone and across the blue lines. Our first line is once again a scoring line and we are getting solid play out of most of our top lines. The powerplay is slowly starting to get in synch. I like Mo's style with the media and his willingness to call out players when the need arises. A very telling game will be Tuesday against the Devils. To me, the most important game since the start of the season.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised that the team is doing well under Mo. One thing I notice is how much talking is going on between Ron and Mo, and Ron and the players on the bench.

Midterm report card: B+

I will have to agree with most of what has ben posted since post # 24. Things are definetly going in the right direction. Hey at least now i have a a much better feeling about possibly getting into the playoff's.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised that the team is doing well under Mo. One thing I notice is how much talking is going on between Ron and Mo, and Ron and the players on the bench.

Midterm report card: B+

Have to agree. The amount of communication across the bench and up to the box including Mo, Ronnie, McCarthy, Rowe, and all of the players has been a clear difference from the first part of the season and looks to be working for the team. This can only help the team and the lack of communication earlier was probably a factor in the stagnation of the team.

All I have to say is I love Mo and always did and for everyone who thought or thinks it was a bad idea to resign him ive got a big actually HUGE plate of Crow for you to eat....

GO MO GO!!!!!!!

Personally, I have been pleasantly surprised on how well Mo seems to be doing for this organization. Again, kudos to Jr for this move.

I do however think we have to give a lot of credit to Rowe who took over the defense and Francis in charge of the forwards. I have seen good changes in both sides. I really think Mo has made a difference with Ward moreso than Barraso since his gameplay drastically improved when Mo got back. I'm just saying...

Personally, I have been pleasantly surprised on how well Mo seems to be doing for this organization. Again, kudos to Jr for this move.

I do however think we have to give a lot of credit to Rowe who took over the defense and Francis in charge of the forwards. I have seen good changes in both sides. I really think Mo has made a difference with Ward moreso than Barraso since his gameplay drastically improved when Mo got back. I'm just saying...

Wards improvement probably had more to do with a defensive minded style of play

Wards improvement probably had more to do with a defensive minded style of play

Outside of their one-on-one meeting, its my understanding that Maurice has little to do with Cam's day to day practice sessions. Barrasso has said in interviews that his main agenda for Cam this season was to work on his mental game and focus. He said he already had the skills, athleticism and agility to become an elite goaltender but just lacked the confidence that mental focus can give.

Looks like they've made some headway with that, and having the team play much more responsibly in front of him didn't hurt either.

And to get back on topic....too early for me to evaluate Maurice but obviously he's made an impact with some subtle changes. I have afeeling that once they can get the special teams more consistent, Maurice will give the green light more often to stay on the attack late in the game. It seems that right now defensive responsibilty and team trust for each other has been priority #1. Pretty good start imo.

Nuetral zome hockey play is way better than before. Fewer lone breaks on give-aways. We are still giving the puck away. The other teams are not skating through the nuetral zone like they were before. That is the result of MOE hockey.

That is the biggest improvement and what we needed.

I know there are all kinds of locker room issues that seem to be played out but better nuetral zone play is a great start and one of the issues that has haunted this team for 2 years.

I am pleased with the way the team is coming around under Coach Mo. Bringing Francis down I'm sure has helped as well. We were giving up numerous break aways before he took over and we have definitely improved in that department. I wish we had more ourselves and were a threat to get a shorty. I think we are one of 2 teams who don't have one? I hope we keep getting better and keep this winning streak going.

7-3 in our last 10 now, up to 7th, rising in the polls...As much as I still like Lavi...sometimes you gotta change...besides, Lavi will be back in a few years...he and Maurice are kinda like the Clinton's and Bush's...LOL

7-3 in our last 10 now, up to 7th, rising in the polls...As much as I still like Lavi...sometimes you gotta change...besides, Lavi will be back in a few years...he and Maurice are kinda like the Clinton's and Bush's...LOL

Not to mention the power play has a 22.39 percent success rate since Paul Maurice took over as coach, compared to 12.82 in 25 games under Peter Laviolette (fact taken from ESPN power rankings). Changes are happening and others are noticing too.