The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PG67

Hey guys, I'm a Ranger fan and I have a question for you...

Laviolette wants his team to be like a family and if this is accomplished, gets the most if not more out of his players, playing for each other and not necessarily for themselves. If he had any weakness, it was his unwillingness to change the teams style of play based on the players fitting that system. Id say he definitely lays down the law with regards to the players, which is hard for some of the big egos to take....Staal. Id say he had a good balance between coach and friend with his players. His firing was probably a necessary evil of the game, undeserved in my opinion, but debatable.

Hey guys,

I just registered on this board to get your thoughts and opinions about Peter Laviolette.

Most of us on the NY Ranger boards are calling for Tom Renney to be fired.

I don't want to bore you with WHY - so I'll just focus on your ex-coach for now.

Someone just suggested hiring Peter Laviolette to replace Renney.

So...

In your opinion, what are some of the strengths and weaknesses of Laviolette?

What does he bring to the team that's good and bad?

Did he bring the best out of his players?

Were you happy that he was fired? Why?

Do you think he'd do a good job with coaching a team of underacheiving, overpaid players?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!!!

Paul

How do you think the NY fans are going to like "Dump and Chase?" Ask the Islander fans what they think. Peter coached the Islanders, you know. I think if you'll hang tight, the Lavi opinions will start to roll in from you folks.

I wouldn't trust our opinion on hockey too much. Many of us didn't want Joe Corvo, Sergei Samsonov or Tuomo Ruutu and look how they are doing.

Be sure to check back next week for an entirely different opinion.

Hey guys,

I just registered on this board to get your thoughts and opinions about Peter Laviolette.

I don't want to bore you with WHY - so I'll just focus on your ex-coach for now.

So...

Do you think he'd do a good job with coaching a team of underacheiving, overpaid players?

Paul

Lavi brings a fast paced game that focuses on offense first. Often fun to watch from a spectator stand point. My opinion is that Lavi brings the best out of younger and lesser talent, IMO part of the reason the second half of last season turned around for the Canes with all of their injuries. This would likely not make him a great fit right now for the Rangers. I was glad when the Canes got him and thought the Isles gave up on him too soon. When he left, it was time to move on, it was the old scenario of change out a bunch of players or the coach to rejunevate the team. I definitely think he should coach again, but not sure you'd want him...you'd end up still being the same old dump and chase Rangers.

Hey guys,

Strengths - is great in the community, builds teams together, rewards players who play hard, very passionate, very knowledgeable of his team and the gmae

Weaknesses - a little hard headed with his style, has problems entering the zone on the power play, takes timeouts way to early in games.

Good - Passion, energy, team building

Bad - he will want offensive defensemen and will complain till he gets him, has trouble motivating teams sometimes.

At first, yes. But I think the team gave up on him.

Yes. He wasn't getting any energy out of the players.

He would be a good "glue" guy to put things together, but after a few years, I don't think he would do well there.

oh yeah, hes won a cup too, with a team that many predicted to not even make the playoffs. He did this with that run and gun, puck control style that has been the recipe for success in the new nhl

Hey guys,

So...

Paul

Listen, I'm a Rangers fan first and foremost--I moved down here when the Hartford Whalers still existed--and I try to watch every Canes game and every Rangers game. You probably know this already, but Tom Renney isn't going anywhere, not while the Rangers are still in the playoff picture. I don't think Laviolette would make the Rangers a better team. His hard forechecking, all-out-attack offensive coupled with the type of team the Hurricanes had in 2006 (deep, experienced, speedy, high-scoring forward unit, a mostly no-name, stay-at-home defensive corps) is exactly where the NHL was at right after the lockout, but it's not where they are now. If anything, Paul Maurice would be a more suitable coach for the type of team the Rangers have. He focuses on a defensive system with the wingers deep in the zone on the breakout, much like Renney, except he allows his players a bit more room to be creative.

Laviolette does like to yell at the refs, which I think would endear him to Rangers fans sick of Mr. Mellow, Tom "Butterscotch and Handshakes" Renney. I think he brought out the best in some players, in particular, Chad LaRose. The Rangers have a similar scrappy dude in the form of Ryan Callahan, who, like LaRose, is a hard worker who plays like he's 6'3" 220 and has the potential to become a true sniper. The Rangers have a lot of guys like that, actually--Dawes, Prucha, Callahan, Korpikoski--guys who are small and fast and good on the forecheck. All of them have the potential to become NHL scorers (and Prucha, I hope, is finally getting his game back). Maybe Laviolette would be good with those guys. But what do I know...all I know is what I see on TV when I'm watching the games.

Don't forget giving up shorties, and lots of odd man rushes.

Well the Rangers certainly know a thing or two about giving up shorties already... :P

I think was the man with the system right after the lock out. And he does get a lot from the younger guys that are hungry.

I think there was trouble brewing in the locker room with players. You may have that as eluded to earlier.

The guy never seemed to smile to me. And I do not know how much input he had on players coming into our system. Another aspect of the organization that needs to be fixed.

He is a great coach and with the right mix of players onboard with is system he can do great things. For your team not so sure...

Calder Cup Winning Coach.

Stanley Cup Winning Coach.

Most US Born Wins of any Coach in NHL history.

Former AHL Coach of the Year

Former NHL Runner-Up Coach of the Year (By 1 vote to Lindy Ruff)

Coached the Islanders to a 96 point Season

Coached the Hurricanes to a 112 point Season

44 years old

Ya, the guy is a total bum.

IMO if the players would have put forth a professional effort in the last two years he would still be here. Now whether player management was his fault or not is certainly up for debate. His coaching abilities are not up for debate however. I fully expect him to land somewhere and that team to have success.

Has proven that he is a quick turn around for franchises due to how the Islanders and Canes both made huge strides in his first full season with both. However, he has also shown that his staying power is questionable.

Does have one thing that no other coach in Carolina/Hartford franchise history has with the team and that is a ring.

Calder Cup Winning Coach.

Stanley Cup Winning Coach.

Most US Born Wins of any Coach in NHL history.

Former AHL Coach of the Year

Former NHL Runner-Up Coach of the Year (By 1 vote to Lindy Ruff)

Coached the Islanders to a 96 point Season

Coached the Hurricanes to a 112 point Season

44 years old

Ya, the guy is a total bum.

IMO if the players would have put forth a professional effort in the last two years he would still be here. Now whether player management was his fault or not is certainly up for debate. His coaching abilities are not up for debate however. I fully expect him to land somewhere and that team to have success.

I hope he does well in the future myself. I was not happy about his release and I don't think I ever will be.

He's a great coach, one of the best IMHO. However, with that said, he's not a coach for a long term gig. His aggressive style can't be used for more than 2-3 years before the players get worn down and start tuning him out. It happened on the Island after a few years and it happened here.

In all honestly, I see Lavi as a better fit with the Pens if they decide Therrien needs to go, which might not be too long.

Therrien's coaching strategy was tapping Malkin and Crosby on the back and saying "Go get 'em".

If the Pens had a legit coach back there, watch out.

That's probably true. :-)

Lavi's solution for a leaky defense was more offense. That works if you don't have a leaky defense. Otherwise it can get scary. With a veteran defense (Mara, Redden, Rozsival, and Kalinin are not exactly young) that knows what to do without a lot of coaching, Lavi can work wonders.

Without the deepest hockey knowledge behind me, I agree with the folks that mentioned his successful past with an experienced defense. The past few years, our defense has become younger and they were unable to read/adapt to when the forwards were going to let a puck get away, which lead to more breakaways. That I am sure retarded Cam's growth a bit, but the kid is a fighter. Lavi was a great family guy, as even the Rug Rats that came up last year fit in well. It was also known that other people did not have his back in that locker room. Many of them were calling for him to leave even before last year, though nothing was made public, just internal grumblings.

Peter is a transitional leader. These are people that come in, address set issues, usually with success, and then should leave. Transitional leaders who stick around too long, run the risk that Lavi did. Transitionals are typically replaced, whether they leave on positive or negative notes, with facilitative leaders. Though I was not here for Mo, take 1, I certainly think he falls into the this latter role. Bottom line: Peter was great for his purpose. When that purpose was served, the team sputtered afterward and it was time to move on.

I wish him the best and I am sure many teams can use his services and will (and should) pay handsomely for it. I just hope his family can adapt to wherever city brings him in.