The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
BuckeyeCaniac

New traffic pattern test at RBC Center

Don't know about getting in. We were there at 3:30. But getting OUT was an absolute nightmare! We were parked in the very first space in West 5 lot. [nearest the RBC]. We got in our truck and immediately onto the exit road between 5 and 6, where we sat for 40 minutes. The end of the road was blocked at the circle road and we had to double back across lot 5 and go out between 5 and 4. We saw several people cut across the medians and dodge barricades to get out. Lots of really upset fans.

Ken

I have been frustrated by the parking all year. Last night I was ready to turn in the west lot when the cop made me go by. Evey other car ahead turned in, but not me?! Why they have to over think this is beyond me. If you go in the East side they turn you away from the RBC even thought there are plenty of places closer. I finally noticed that they are not using our police to block off the state owned-fairgrounds lot last night, so you could park there for free finally.

I think that generally they do a better job of getting people out.

I didn't notice any difference at all. The problem is that every season they try some new idea. By then, the fans that have learned the in and out and tricks of the previous system are forced to regroup and it slows everyhting down for a few months until we learn again. Just leave it alone and let the fans find their best paths, get the traffic direction guys off the street and things will settle themselves.

I always come into the RBC Center via Westgate Road and I usually have no problems. But I try and arrive by 6:30 so traffic is just starting to get thick. One problem seems to be the majority of fans are using Edwards Mill or Trinity Roads. It seems to be a matter of bandwith in that there is only so many cars can come through at a certain time.

McLauren Parking directs parking for Pack BB games and I believe they seem to distribute gates/lots evenly to even out the traffic slow into the RBC complex.

The new parking policy, as far as I am concerned, is an absolute disaster. My tickets are on the EAST side and I prefer to park on the East side in the 2000 lot. Because of the "new" parking plan I entered off Westgate Road for the Bruins game ... and they tried to put me on the hill. After I explained that I had recently had arthroscopic surgery on a knee, they, somewhat unwillingly, let me park in the general parking session of the 1000 lot (behind the Priority parking section) ... even though the 2000 lot was NOT full.

For the Atlanta game, I entered off Edwards Mill just before 6:00 (my usual entry point) and had no difficulty getting around to the East side ... but the parking attendant insisted that I park in the 1000 lot ... that they had CLOSED the 2000 lot even though it was only about 1/4 full.

I have been a season ticket holder for many years and have a general parking pass. I've NEVER had the problems with parking as I have had THIS year. With Hurricane flags, Hurricanes magnets, a general parking pass hanging in the window and two adults in Hurricane sweaters I would think they would TRY to accomodate you in your prefered lot.

As bad as entering has become, the new policy on exiting is even worse!!

I mentioned the new traffic pattern to one of the "Parking Ambassadors" before Christmas ... and she had never heard of the policy. They really need to poll the fans before implementing DISASTERS.

I haven't complained about increasing parking and ticket prices but they are doing there best to seriously tick off this season ticket holder. I haven't missed a home game since sometime in 2002 ... but I may have to rethink my priorities.

AMrk me as an UNHAPPY STH

I've thought parking the last three games has been great with the new test plan. Finally, we're not waved all the way to BFE. Allowing people to exit at Edwards Mill and park in the West lot, is way more convenient for us both in terms of our seats and getting home. First time all year that we have managed to get into the arena well before the puck drop and that includes the day we left later than normal.

L

We couldn't make the Bruins game on the 27th, so I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the test they did to reroute traffic. According to the website, they were going to force all traffic into the West lot at around 6pm until it was full, but that was all the info they put out there. Did anyone even notice? The same pattern is going to be used for the Dec 31 and Jan 2 games.

You people (that's how the parking gestapo thinks of us) seem to think that the parking is operated for the fans. When are you going to get it straight that the parking is operated for the attendants. ;)

There are some suits (men in charge) located on the roof of the RBC and they radio down to the 'gatekeepers' when to stop letting the cars into a certain lot. The gatekeepers are scared shirtless of the Suits on the roof. :huh:

I really PO'd one of the gatekeepers when he pulled that "move along to the next lot" thing on me. I went right on by just as he was directing me to and then turned up the second lane. My wife said he was having a hissy fit. She wasn't too pleased that I had disobeyed the parking attendants but not as displeased as when I disobey her. :lol:

After missing the first game of the 3 test games, we were there for the last 2. Not wanting to be subject to whatever was going to happen at 1 hour before the 8:00 game time on New Years Eve, we got there well before 7 and everything seemed the same as usual. We entered off of Edwards Mill and got routed around the building to our usual spot in the 2000 lot. No problemo. We watched the road around the arena and didn't see anything happening out of the ordinary.

So, On Jan 2, thinking that we could waltz right back to 2000, we entered off of Edwards Mill around 6:00 ( our usual and RBC recommended 1 hour before gametime) and noticed that traffic was backed up all the way around the arena, and not hardly moving. They had said there would be 3 lanes moving clockwise around the arena, but much to the dismay of the parking attendants, someone was still funneling traffic in one lane counter-clockwise, screwing up the whole mess. Plus, rather than keeping things flowing smoothly, they had the 2000 lot closed, which was barely 1/4 full like Justlistenen said, and had a huge backup in the 1000 lot since it was practically full already. The other people were getting sent around to who knows where. I overheard one attendant on the road say "they're killin' me" referring to whatever idiot was sending traffic the opposite way. This is the same time we arrive for every game, and it is usually a straight drive around the arena and right in, 2 minutes tops. With the "New and Improved" traffic pattern, it took us at least 15 minutes to get into a spot. If the 1000 lot would have been full, I have no idea where they would have sent us since 2000 was closed.

I'm sure some will argue that taking 15 minutes to get into a parking space is much better than other arenas. I'm sure it is. The point of their new pattern though, is to make things better here in Raleigh and from our experience arriving 1 hour before game time is that it was way worse. Over the years we have found a consistent time to get there and get into a spot on the same side of the arena as our seats. Many people like us want to tailgate in the same section each game to meet up with the same friends, and this new pattern will totally randomize what lot you will get forced into. Great idea RBC, tick off your most loyal fans.

If the RBC Center traffic people (Mike Alexander and Co.) are reading this, my feedback is that your new system is broken and still needs work. Keep all the sections open till full, and let people decide where they want to go if they know where they want to park. All of your season ticket holders and regulars know what lanes to get into to find a spot on the side of the arena they want to sit. Anyone else is a newbie and is going to get put into whatever lot the traffic flows allow, and will be none the wiser anyway. Quit allowing people to go against the flow of traffic. If someone needs to leave the arena, have a couple designed exits that can be accessed by going clockwise around the arena. Reward those of us who get there when you recommend we get there (1 hour before gametime) by allowing us to park where we want. My apologies to those who always come late, but when you're late for anything, you're going to have to take your lumps.

I've had no problem this year, nor last year. I always go 40->Wade->Blue Ridge->Westgate and into east lot for premier parking. Our seats our in the east side of the RBC and we find it's easier to park here than anywhere else.

I have absolutely no complaints.

I'm a full STH since the 99-00 season, and have always used general parking. For me parking didn't become a problem until after the Cup year, and got progressively worse for the next two years. This year has been noticeably better in my opinion. Seems with the new patterns, they are making an attempt to fill a lot before closing it off to traffic.

I agree with one of the posters that they need to make the experience consistent for regular attendees to the games... the rest won't really know the difference. I arrive at about the same time every game, use the same entrance lane, and this year I am able to get into one of the two lots I prefer... so I'm a happy camper. Also, I've not experienced any of the exiting problems that other posters have.

there are numerous reasons why parking is the nightmare it is

1. entering off of edwards mill is

a) 3 lanes converging into 2 to go clockwise

B) alternating with Premier parking people having to go across multiple lanes

c) Raleigh PD intermittently closing the east-bound exit off of Wade Avenue

d) the new stoplight prior to reaching CG HS

e) having to stop to allow people to turn left onto EM from Ridge (i think)

2. sometimes free parking at the fairgrounds, sometimes not

3. counter-clockwise and clockwise traffic flow

4. having Premier Parking folks entering from all points

In developing a fix for the parking situation, they need to spend time analyzing what the problems are. Then from there, one addresses them.

there are numerous reasons why parking is the nightmare it is

1. entering off of edwards mill is

a) 3 lanes converging into 2 to go clockwise

B) alternating with Premier parking people having to go across multiple lanes

c) Raleigh PD intermittently closing the east-bound exit off of Wade Avenue

d) the new stoplight prior to reaching CG HS

e) having to stop to allow people to turn left onto EM from Ridge (i think)

2. sometimes free parking at the fairgrounds, sometimes not

3. counter-clockwise and clockwise traffic flow

4. having Premier Parking folks entering from all points

In developing a fix for the parking situation, they need to spend time analyzing what the problems are. Then from there, one addresses them.

For the life of me I can't understand why they allow Premier Parking people, of which I am one, to turn in at Edwards Mill. The back of my parking pass clearly states to enter off Trinity and Westchase. I do not see Edwards Mill as an option. If they do, they should be forced to go all the way around with the flow of traffic, IMO. That'll teach 'em.

We couldn't make the Bruins game on the 27th, so I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the test they did to reroute traffic. According to the website, they were going to force all traffic into the West lot at around 6pm until it was full, but that was all the info they put out there. Did anyone even notice? The same pattern is going to be used for the Dec 31 and Jan 2 games.

I know which lane to get in off EM and traffic flows smoothly until we get to the left turn onto the loop that circles the RBC where we experience a few glitches. When we get to the first General parking lot (past the Premier lot) the trouble starts. It's a *edit* shoot whether or not you get in the lot nearest the West Entrance or get sent down to the lot on the north side. It's a long walk for my wife who has a bad ankle and I'm huffing and puffing. It used to be we could make a request of the gatekeeper but recently he said the guys on the roof would make trouble for him. See my previous post for what dastardly thing I did. :lol:

Could a monitor please tell me what is so terrible about a "c r a p" shoot? Do you really think that warrants an *edit*

For the life of me I can't understand why they allow Premier Parking people, of which I am one, to turn in at Edwards Mill. The back of my parking pass clearly states to enter off Trinity and Westchase. I do not see Edwards Mill as an option. If they do, they should be forced to go all the way around with the flow of traffic, IMO. That'll teach 'em.

For what it is worth, I am one the "RBC Ambassadors." I live in NE Raleigh just off Capital Blvd. I take I-440 to Wade Avenue, take to next exit at Blue Ridge, and come in off Westgate and park with no problem. Rarely does it take more than 30 minutes from by door to the RBC doors.

The problem seems to lie in the fact the majority of the fans want to arrive on the same road and park in the same parking lots. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this in an unsolveable problem.

What I would really like to know is if similar problems exist for Wolfpack BB games. I understand that for these games the parking for the fans is designated and spread through out the arena lots

Perhaps the Canes parking people can't be like Burger King and have every fan have it as he wants.

Could a monitor please tell me what is so terrible about a "c r a p" shoot? Do you really think that warrants an *edit*

Its the filter, not us personally and circumventing it to make your point isnt helping your cause. Can you tell me why this couldnt be asked in PM and what it has to do with the topic at hand?

I didn't even know they did a new pattern, lol. I just go off of 40 onto Edwards Mill, turn left into whatever entrance that is (across from CGHS), and then either turn into the first lot they tell me or the second one...I'm always in the inside lane though.

It sure does beat my old way; going down Blue Ridge, turning left at the green "arena" sign, and being directed to park in gravel or dirt lots.

I've had no problem this year, nor last year. I always go 40->Wade->Blue Ridge->Westgate and into east lot for premier parking. Our seats our in the east side of the RBC and we find it's easier to park here than anywhere else.

I have absolutely no complaints.

I would hope Premier parking would not be an issue. Unfortunately this is only a small part of the overall parking.

I have seen zero improvement if showing up late. i.e. after 6:30PM

Whatever. Plan to walk the distance.

I would hope Premier parking would not be an issue. Unfortunately this is only a small part of the overall parking.

I have seen zero improvement if showing up late. i.e. after 6:30PM

Whatever. Plan to walk the distance.

Obviously you go Edwards Mill? There's never traffic late off of Blue Ridge Rd. Try that. I rarely arrive before 6:45.

Obviously you go Edwards Mill? There's never traffic late off of Blue Ridge Rd. Try that. I rarely arrive before 6:45.

I always arrive at 5:30 with very little fanfare. Occasionally they will try to direct me past the West lot but they don't stop me when I pull in anyhow.