The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Diane-1

New Year's Eve Post-Game Celebration

For some reason the original thread on this topic was closed before the event actually took place. :huh:

Was just wondering if anyone from here attended the post-game New Year's Eve activities that were held that night? What were your thoughts?

Thanks!

I didnt go, I was scared, I heard there would probably be people drinking alcohol with no armed security guards there in case the people drinking alcohol started to riot.

LOL at the post above as I read all the hoopla. It was a fun time and plenty of people of all ages. I have been the last 4 years or more and it was the same as the past times. Plenty of fun and something for everyone. It must have been a crazy drunkfest as I saw that wild and crazy chick "Dancing Granny" there. You know it is out of control when she is there.

Saw more problems at the bar I went to after I left the RBC and even that was tame.

Yep we went,way over crowded,over priced.You couldn't hardly move muchless get a drink. I don't think you could have gotten drunk if you wanted to. Band was pretty good but i started to get frustrated with the overcrowding and standing in line so we left and headed back to the house.That is the 1st time we went but if thats the way it always is, we won't go back unless they do something different. To me, it still isn't something to have kids at. Not on New Years Eve..But thats just my opinion.

I went and had a good time. Since I had to drive afterwards, I didn't drink anything so I didn't notice the long lines at the bar. But I thought the band was really good and it didn't seem that crowded to me on the dance floor. I've been in clubs where it's been much worse than that. Also, I didn't notice a huge herd of crazed, drunken, and out of control partiers... then again... I did't see that last year either! :rolleyes:

So kudos to the staff for putting together an enjoyable New Years Eve party.

It was a ok I had alot more fun last year and the band was better. I will go again but I think they should make it with age restriction because I saw some kids with things that they shouldent have had and they were mixed kids and drunk adults on the dance floor. Th e fireworks was cool just have see next year.

Just want to thank everyone who has posted about their experiences with this years New Year's Eve post-game celebration. I know a lot of folk were curious! Hopefully, this will help some decide whether this is something they'd want to take part in next New Year's Eve. :)

Yep we went,way over crowded,over priced.You couldn't hardly move muchless get a drink. I don't think you could have gotten drunk if you wanted to. Band was pretty good but i started to get frustrated with the overcrowding and standing in line so we left and headed back to the house.That is the 1st time we went but if thats the way it always is, we won't go back unless they do something different. To me, it still isn't something to have kids at. Not on New Years Eve..But thats just my opinion.

Same experience here... I don't think i will go again... Well maybe for the game just not for the "After Party"

There are those that think I was complaining about the "drunkfest" but that was never the issue. Mine was simple, if it is open to "kids" then you have to have better crowd control. There needs to be an "alcohol free" zone where families that wish to watch the puck drop can sit. It sounds like yet again they did things haphazardly, not good for business. All it will take is one drunk getting out of hand, the RBC Center getting sued to ruin it for those that are responsible drinkers.

It was simpler when the event was 21 and older only.

I stayed again this year, but it took me about 10 minutes to just get inside the door to go the the dance floor and another 7 minutes or so just to turn around and walk back out the door. I made my way down to the seats and sat there the entire time watching the jumbotron and the UNC game on the tv screen in front of me. I also chatted with several friends and other then the crowd that I think is way too much to be confined to that one area I had a great time. never ran into anyone that was being obnoxious. I did notice several police officers standing around so I think the RBC is at least trying. I know they can call for backup but in my opinion the few I saw wasn't enough for the size of the event. I can't complain at all about the fireworks since that's about what I see in Wilson every 4th of July. I think it was a nice extra they added. Someone mentioned skating in the new year and I think that's a great idea. Open up the rink and let families that don't won't the bar scene skate with their kid's. BTW, I was sitting 2 sections over from Dancin' Granny and she received a huge round of applause or in my case horn blowing. lol!

I stayed again this year, but it took me about 10 minutes to just get inside the door to go the the dance floor and another 7 minutes or so just to turn around and walk back out the door. I made my way down to the seats and sat there the entire time watching the jumbotron and the UNC game on the tv screen in front of me. I also chatted with several friends and other then the crowd that I think is way too much to be confined to that one area I had a great time. never ran into anyone that was being obnoxious. I did notice several police officers standing around so I think the RBC is at least trying. I know they can call for backup but in my opinion the few I saw wasn't enough for the size of the event. I can't complain at all about the fireworks since that's about what I see in Wilson every 4th of July. I think it was a nice extra they added. Someone mentioned skating in the new year and I think that's a great idea. Open up the rink and let families that don't won't the bar scene skate with their kid's. BTW, I was sitting 2 sections over from Dancin' Granny and she received a huge round of applause or in my case horn blowing. lol!

Yep I mentioned the skating, Today at Wrigley they are charging $10.00 an hour to skate on the Winter Classic Rink with procedes going to Cubs Care a similar charity that the Canes have. I would so love to be there! It could be a win-win, maybe they worry about a drunk trying to skate but as long as everyone had a release it should be alright.

It has been discovered the hard way, drinking and skating don't go together very well. Past injuries of people stopped that idea years ago.

Maybe if they charged it may deter the people that wanted to spend their money on drinks instead. Always something to suggest to the higher ups!!

husband and I started to go, then we were basically run over by the crowd of people rushing to get to the bar. Then we decided to just fight our way to the bar to close our tab (well my tab LOL) from much earlier and leave. The people pushing and shoving their way up there were very rude :angry: and there were quite a few snot nosed teenagers that had no business being up there in the first place. In my opinion, the bar area should be open to those 21 and over and that is it.

All in all, I do not think we will even attempt it next year and will go and close out our tab much earlier in the night next year to avoid the rush of drunk people.

At least leaving when we did we got on the road before all the crazy people did.

I almost made it there.. only I had one problem.. I didn't know where it was..

Where was this at? Was it on the second level?

I was standing near my seats in the lower bowl for a little while after the game and I got shoved out of them by some RBC people, and then I didn't know where the lounge that this was held in was so I just left and went to another party... I would have liked to see it though, sounded like fun.

There are those that think I was complaining about the "drunkfest" but that was never the issue. Mine was simple, if it is open to "kids" then you have to have better crowd control. There needs to be an "alcohol free" zone where families that wish to watch the puck drop can sit. It sounds like yet again they did things haphazardly, not good for business. All it will take is one drunk getting out of hand, the RBC Center getting sued to ruin it for those that are responsible drinkers.

It was simpler when the event was 21 and older only.

Don't waste your time C97, some people just don't get it and probably never will, I stop wasting my time. At least our hearts were in the right place.

BTW, I was told that it will be different next year for families if we get a New Year's Eve game. I think they got the message.

Don't waste your time C97, some people just don't get it and probably never will, I stop wasting my time. At least our hearts were in the right place.

BTW, I was told that it will be different next year for families if we get a New Year's Eve game. I think they got the message.

that's good

It was crowded but they do have 3 bars and to be honest, the crowd empties quickly before New Years. Many people and families were sitting in the VIP section and in the stands which does provide a more family situation.

Maybe I am wrong, but you don't want to take a kid to the middle of a bar but there were plenty of places to stand and go to there instead of leaning on the bar. You make it what you want. Even in the room with the band, people were sitting around tables and did not see the big deal.

I have taken my nephew up to the bar area in the past on a Friday night when they have bands and we sit and watch them change the ice. He does not even see that people are drinking alcahol or even notice. Then we leave. I don't pony him up to the bar and he does not notice anything different. This of course, is my opinion.

Diane,

To each his own...I didn't go this year but have been in the past. I have had a good time (the year I went to NYC and Times Squares was the best). To me, it's an enjoyable way to spend the evening.

If you're looking for an all-adult, wilder party, then go to a club. Depending on your definition of packed, it could be. the past two times I've gone, it's been crowded and can be difficult to move around. don't expect to drink more than a couple as the line at the bar stations is usually pretty long. The band has been good in MHO.

But overall, it's all subjective.

It was crowded but they do have 3 bars and to be honest, the crowd empties quickly before New Years. Many people and families were sitting in the VIP section and in the stands which does provide a more family situation.

Maybe I am wrong, but you don't want to take a kid to the middle of a bar but there were plenty of places to stand and go to there instead of leaning on the bar. You make it what you want. Even in the room with the band, people were sitting around tables and did not see the big deal.

I have taken my nephew up to the bar area in the past on a Friday night when they have bands and we sit and watch them change the ice. He does not even see that people are drinking alcohol or even notice. Then we leave. I don't pony him up to the bar and he does not notice anything different. This of course, is my opinion.

I think you are missing the greater point, if you are gonna promote something as "family friendly" then there has to be better crowd control and you need to separate the drinkers from the non-drinkers. I don't think they promote the after game get together as "family friendly" or "bring the kids".

If you as a business want me to bring my kids and grand kids to something then there had better be a plan in place if alcohol is being served and if more people show up than anticipated. Drunks don't discriminate based on age who they will bump into or fall on. lol

How about having "family friendly" party and one end and the "more adult" party at the other end? There are 2 clubs on that level if i'm not mistaken?

Just a thought!

How about having "family friendly" party and one end and the "more adult" party at the other end? There are 2 clubs on that level if i'm not mistaken?

Just a thought!

yep, there is. Adults to the Lexus lounge and families get the ledge, put the band somewhere midway in the concourse. The only downside would be the possibility of drunks puking on the nice carpet on the 200 level. Maybe everyone that blows a .03 or higher has to walk around with a feed bag on their face!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or could keep the band at the adult end and get some other kind of entertainment for the kids/families .... ie -Stormy, blowup sumo(sp) wrestling, and hockey type games? Just keep them both separate.

Or could keep the band at the adult end and get some other kind of entertainment for the kids/families .... ie -Stormy, blowup sumo(sp) wrestling, and hockey type games? Just keep them both separate.

or Barney!! (fife or dinosaur - doesn't much matter) :lol: