The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Brind'Amour article on NHL

Thanks for the heads-up. I was wondering when they would get to Brindy. If it's tonight then I'll have to catch the repeat since I will be switching between the Canes and football games tonight..

Nice article. Cant speak for others but my concerns are only for the present with him and when his play hurts the teams' chance of winning. There's no doubt about where he's come from, where he's been and what he's meant to the teams he's played on.

Its difficult to sit back and watch such an accomplished player and leader struggle in his final seasons, sometimes over shadowing all he's achieved. It happens to all pro athletes, especially ones that are getting up in age never mind trying to overcome serious injuries and reconstructive surgeries. Its hard to know when to call it quits or at least when its time to scale it down when its the only thing you've known your whole life.

In his case, there's no reason he cant end his career on his own terms but he may need to take a lesser role and relieve some of the pressure that can make matters worse when someone struggling. I dont think anyone has ever questioned his will or his drive. Just my opinion.

Like TSA, I haven't questioned where Brind'amour has been in his career. He has done things that few players ever do...and much of that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. He's an amazing athlete, and an amazing person on multiple levels. I don't see anyone questioning that who knows anything at all about him.

But this year...at present...sorry, he's not helping the team by playing on the ice (outside of faceoffs). There comes a point in the career of any athlete where its time to scale back the amount of play, or hang it up altogether. I think it is sad that not enough players are able to recognize this before ending their careers on a down/sour note. I'm not saying Rod needs to retire tomorrow..but I have been saying that his time-on-ice needs to be reduced and see if he can be more productive when he is on the ice. He's so much slower now than just about anyone...he loses battles for the puck all the time...and you can see so many times where things "go wrong" that result in the low +/- rating.

I'm sure its difficult for someone to recognize when its time to retire or slow down when that's all you've known and done your whole life...I can't imagine it. But I think those players who go out on top earn a little more respect from the fans when they do. Most recently, Mike Mussina of the Yankees retires after his best season in the majors...I applaud that. Barry Sanders comes to mind...one would think he had so much more to give but he went out on his own terms. Then look at guys like Randy Johnson...his career was over 5 years ago, but he keeps struggling to play. Even Michael Jordan...many would argue his career was somewhat soured with his last stint in the league with the Wizards where his age showed and dimmed that superstar light. No one questions the skill they had at the top of their game...but there comes a point where they need to recognize that they aren't producing due to age or injury, and in a game like hockey, that production from a team value has an even stronger impact.

Thanks Caniac5. I think becasue Rod has been such an outstanding player for so long playing at such a high level that he is held to that high standard every year. If he was just coming in the league with the level he is playing at now we would all be enamored with him. He might not be playing where he was, but he is still better than a lot of forwards in the NHL.

In the past, Rod has been called on to carry the team. I think that he needs to understand that he no longer needs to do that. That is my only grip about him. He needs to just go out and play and allow our other stars to step up. I think Lavi asked to much of him and now under Mo he is allowed to go and play and that is why he has improved lately. Plus, he is getting his health back.

Thanks Caniac5. I think becasue Rod has been such an outstanding player for so long playing at such a high level that he is held to that high standard every year. If he was just coming in the league with the level he is playing at now we would all be enamored with him. He might not be playing where he was, but he is still better than a lot of forwards in the NHL.

In the past, Rod has been called on to carry the team. I think that he needs to understand that he no longer needs to do that. That is my only grip about him. He needs to just go out and play and allow our other stars to step up. I think Lavi asked to much of him and now under Mo he is allowed to go and play and that is why he has improved lately. Plus, he is getting his health back.

I totally agree about Lavi asking to much of him. I don't know, but I FEEL that Lavi may have put a lot of pressure on Rod to light a fire under the guys and start performing to show them they way. As you stated, after the number of years he has played, he still can carry some of the load, be a great Captain, and an awesome mentor to the younger guys but I do not expect him to out perform anyone!

I remember Francis last years. He was not fast and didn't hit. He camped out around the front and back of the goal and waited. Rod does the same but I have seen him throw some hits here and there. Remember the fire in his eyes after the first period against Philly? He was about to take their Captain down.

Anyway, regardless of what other people say, Rod IS the Captain, deserves to be the Captain, and all the players look up to him.

WAY TO GO RODDY!!!!

You know, it's possible that maybe Brind'Amour was putting the pressure on Laviolette not to cut his play time and when Maurice and Francis took over, they scaled him back and pushed him to earn more play time. Just saying......

people who think he shouldnt be captain anymore because of his play or age are clueless. I dont remember anyone actually saying that but..He can be just as good of a captain leading with character and effort on and off the ice regardless of how many minutes hes playing or if hes putting up big numbers. Now if hes pushing the coach for more playing time knowing he may be a liability to the team, then thats another story.

people who think he shouldnt be captain anymore because of his play or age are clueless. I dont remember anyone actually saying that but..He can be just as good of a captain leading with character and effort on and off the ice regardless of how many minutes hes playing or if hes putting up big numbers. Now if hes pushing the coach for more playing time knowing he may be a liability to the team, then thats another story.

Just want to make sure people know that Im not starting rumors and I have no idea if Brind'Amour was pressuring Laviolette, but I do know that when athletes struggle, they always want to play more and work through whatever struggles they're having. Once they overcome the "slump" they're in, they have the mental tools that it will take to work through any other down times they hit in their career. Just offering a different perspective since none of realy know whats gone on.

I think we al hope that Brind'Amour can find some consistency in his play because the success of this team depends on it. He is a huge factor as we head into the second half.

I totally agree about Lavi asking to much of him. I don't know, but I FEEL that Lavi may have put a lot of pressure on Rod to light a fire under the guys and start performing to show them they way. As you stated, after the number of years he has played, he still can carry some of the load, be a great Captain, and an awesome mentor to the younger guys but I do not expect him to out perform anyone!

I remember Francis last years. He was not fast and didn't hit. He camped out around the front and back of the goal and waited. Rod does the same but I have seen him throw some hits here and there. Remember the fire in his eyes after the first period against Philly? He was about to take their Captain down.

Anyway, regardless of what other people say, Rod IS the Captain, deserves to be the Captain, and all the players look up to him.

WAY TO GO RODDY!!!!

I think that all fans (me included) remember the Rod from 05-06 (and before) and want him back. Yes, his play is not the same as it was a few years ago or even last year before he got hurt. Has he made some mistakes that cost us the game? Yeah, but so have other guys on the team. There is so much more to being a leader than having the best statistics on the team. I don't think (for the record I don't KNOW, but just think) anyone on the team would ever point to Rod as being the guy who isn't working hard enough, except maybe Rod himself. My concern has nothing to do with his work ethic or him not trying on the ice-in fact I think that some of the mistakes he's made are a result of him trying TOO hard. It's a shame that his last (few?) season(s) will overshadow all that he has accomplished up to this point in some fans' minds. Frankly, I don't think he has anything left to prove to anyone anymore. He's earned the respect the other guys on the team so obviously have for him and IMO the franchise is better off having him (in any condition) than not having him at all. And Caniac5, you're right about the Philly game. I was sitting about 30 feet away from the Richards-Brind'Amour confrontation and was so pleased to see that kind of emotion from him-it was a flashback to the good ol' days. :) Everyone in my section commented that it was a good thing the refs pulled him away, otherwise Philly would have been captain-less. Here's hoping that the second half of the season is better for him than the first!

I've said this many times since his injury last year, Rod will not be the same skater he was when he returns. It's the nature of that type of injury, I know, I've blown both knees playing hockey. Granted he is in much better shape and has the benefit of a professional rehabilitation facility at his beck and call, but it takes TIME.

I agree with TSA in that he just may have been asking for more time to try and play through his problem. But that last comment by Peter makes me think that, perhaps Peter was asking too much from Rod, too early.

Sure he's lost a step or two, and it's hard to be on PK, when you can't make those sharp stops and quick accelerations in other directions. Perhaps some are judging him a bit too harshly because of his outstanding achievements over the years. we just expect Rod to be the Rod of old.

He still has the skill and drive to be an asset to the 'Canes and I'm glad to see him on the ice. I think, if he continues to go injury free this year, he could be a larger influence on the ice for our team next season. Don't rush to put him out to pasture, he's still got what it takes to play.

Just want to make sure people know that Im not starting rumors and I have no idea if Brind'Amour was pressuring Laviolette, but I do know that when athletes struggle, they always want to play more and work through whatever struggles they're having. Once they overcome the "slump" they're in, they have the mental tools that it will take to work through any other down times they hit in their career. Just offering a different perspective since none of us really know what's gone on.

I think we al hope that Brind'Amour can find some consistency in his play because the success of this team depends on it. He is a huge factor as we head into the second half.

"I keep giving coach the nod," Brind'Amour said with a laugh. "I want more minutes. I want to be more of a factor. But I know I have to prove myself all over again after the surgery."

We know you wouldnt start rumors, I was going off of the quote from the article, I guess this should be expected of a player like Rod, but its the coaches job to give him minutes based off of what is beneficial to the team, not appease the player.

Are you serious? If any new player was -25 only halfway through the season do you honestly think we'd be "enamored" by that player? I don't think so. I think that player would have been sent to the AHL after five games.

Rod is a great leader and was a great player. But he's hurting the team right now and he's not the player he used to be. He still has the determination and that I respect. But there is this natural occurrence called aging. It happens to everyone. When will everyone take off the rose-tinted glasses and realize that he's not the player he used to be? No one was arguing that Brindy didn't have the determination or that he wasn't still a great leader. He still is. But look at the facts. He's the slowest player in the league that I've seen and he's got the worst +/- in the league. He's cost us games.

Are you serious? If any new player was -25 only halfway through the season do you honestly think we'd be "enamored" by that player? I don't think so. I think that player would have been sent to the AHL after five games.

Rod is a great leader and was a great player. But he's hurting the team right now and he's not the player he used to be. He still has the determination and that I respect. But there is this natural occurrence called aging. It happens to everyone. When will everyone take off the rose-tinted glasses and realize that he's not the player he used to be? No one was arguing that Brindy didn't have the determination or that he wasn't still a great leader. He still is. But look at the facts. He's the slowest player in the league that I've seen and he's got the worst +/- in the league. He's cost us games.

I understand your point about aging and not being the player that he was. You are correct, that is only natural. But as you stated, that happens to everyone!! But he is not causing us to lose, he is trying to get his form back as much as possible. Dedication to a player of his statue requires us to be supportive!

I understand your point about aging and not being the player that he was. You are correct, that is only natural. But as you stated, that happens to everyone!! But he is not causing us to lose, he is trying to get his form back as much as possible. Dedication to a player of his statue requires us to be supportive!

I disagree. I think we should play the players that give us the best chance to win regardless of that players past history with the team. If Rod continues to play badly, and we continue to play him, we'd be making a big mistake. We need to make the playoffs. Rod is hurting our chances with his poor defensive play. And he's not causing us to lose? Did you see the Boston game? You don't think that a player being -25 has cost us games?

But he is not causing us to lose, he is trying to get his form back as much as possible. Dedication to a player of his statue requires us to be supportive!

In his own words after the Boston game he admitted that his mistakes have resulted in the puck ending up in the net and losing games.

"For me, personally, it just feels like it's been horrible," he said today after the pregame skate at the RecZone. "Personally, things haven't gone well at all. Every game it seems like there's something I do, a little mistake here or there, and it's costing us the games. It's not been just one game, it's been all year.

Well, with the new lines, I think we are already seeing much improvement in our Captain's play. Maybe he just needed Williams back for the chemistry. They are definitely working well together.