The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ynotagain

The next changes needed ...

This stat says it all

Staal +8

Brindamore -20

Everyone who says +/- is meaningless for forwards, or misleading at best, must look at one more factor. How many of the even strength goals against has he been on the ice for. Factor in his 4 even strength goals scored and you have him on ice for 24 opponent goals valued for +/-. This team has given up 80 goals; 51 of those have been even strength (per nhl.com stats). Brind'Amour was on the ice for almost half of the even strength goals, with 400 minutes of even strength time on ice in 26 games played (approx. 1/3 the total even ice time).

By contrast, Josef Melichar has a much more benign looking -1, but he has been just as harmful to the Canes defensively. Melichar has played in only 15 games, been on the ice for 118 even strength minutes (approx. 1/10 of the Canes total), and has still been on ice for 8 of the 51 even strength goals against Carolina all season, approximately 15%.

The two are on the ice for almost the same ratio (percentage of even strength goals divided by percentage of even strength ice time), but Brind'Amour's -20 looks much more devastating than Melichar's -1.

Really? What would we get in exchange? Another team's detritus? I hear there' a new opening in the front office now that Francis is working behind the bench. Isn't it time to move Brindy gracefully upstairs?

I thought they moved Francis downstairs to make room for Karmo. Jr. to step back in? It they did, that position is no longer available.

I think the next thing we need to do is put Frantisek Kaberle #5 on waivers!!! Again, he is hurt and has yet to play up to par. With the coaching change, it's time to get rid of the players no longer producing, the players that are always injuried, or the ones that don't have any heart.

WAIT...We need a whole new team!!!! :blink:

Seriously, Frank has served his time here. With all the injuires he has had it's time to wave him and go ahead and bring up Conboy / Borer for good.

I agree with sending down Melichar but not so sure about Dwyer, he played like he wanted to stay!!

Never said anything negative about sending Dwyer down! :lol: He has played like he wanted to stay.

I think there is going to be a trade within the next month or so -- a lot are saying Roddy ... if this is the case, who gets the 'C'? :unsure:

Never said anything negative about sending Dwyer down! :lol: He has played like he wanted to stay.

I think there is going to be a trade within the next month or so -- a lot are saying Roddy ... if this is the case, who gets the 'C'? :unsure:

Staal would get the C, Melichar and Dwyer got sent down also!!

The Canes need to realize that they're gonna lose money when people stop coming to see this team play lackluster hockey. They need to take a financial hit and go ahead and dump Kaberle, Brookbank (if you're an enforcer then learn how to fight), Melichar and Babchuck (Pitkanen would be in there too, but he makes too much). Borer and Conboy deserve to stay up based on the way they played last year and that they will probably show more effort than the current guys.

I say we do a major line shake up as well. Move Cullen to 2nd or 1st line center, Brindy to 3rd and possibly move Staal to second. Then shake up the wingers and put the wingers who show some effort on the top lines.

Staal, Gleason, or Williams. That's the order I'd prefer.

Staal and Dwyer got sent down also!!

Staal got sent down to Albany? :blink:

.....and trade Witney for another young player for starters.

Yeah, great idea. *sarcasm* Let's trade one of the guys that is hustling and making plays out there. Older doesn't mean "washed up". There are a few guys that ARE underachieving and need to be held accountable. Maybe that will happen under Mo. If not, it's going to be a long season boys!

Yeah, great idea. *sarcasm* Let's trade one of the guys that is hustling and making plays out there. Older doesn't mean "washed up". There are a few guys that ARE underachieving and need to be held accountable. Maybe that will happen under Mo. If not, it's going to be a long season boys!

How very true....

I think the next thing we need to do is put Frantisek Kaberle #5 on waivers!!! Again, he is hurt and has yet to play up to par. With the coaching change, it's time to get rid of the players no longer producing, the players that are always injuried, or the ones that don't have any heart.

Seriously, Frank has served his time here. With all the injuires he has had it's time to wave him and go ahead and bring up Conboy / Borer for good.

you can't put an injured player on waivers.

FINALLY, Caniac5,,thank you for saying that about Kabs. I have been hammering him for years and i am glad someone else is seeing what i have! Major Kudos to ya 5 ;)

you can't put an injured player on waivers.

Maybe thats why we haven't been able to dump Frank,,he hasn't been off the IR for more that a week or so in 3 yrs!! :blink: Maybe just a little sarcasm there,,ya think? :rolleyes:

I'm hoping, hoping that management has realized the Melichar mistake and not bring him back up. When we had problems with the D management should have brought up Conboy and Borer if not only because they had more experience with the team and played quite a few games last season. I guess Dwyer had to be sent down in order to bring up one of the two, but I think he was playing well. He was contributing to the game in ways that other players (I'm tired of mentioning names) haven't.

I still believe that the Cullen line should be the premiere line as long as Staal and Brindy aren't producing. I also think that LaRose should be brought back to the Cullen line. But alas I'm just one of many coaches and refs on the Canes team.

You know...Melichar is not too bad when he is on....his mistakes are just GLARING. Maybe AHL time will do him some good. Learn how to pass again.

I think Babs could use a conditional stint there to line his shot up. He has bumbled some passes too.

When can we get Danny Boy back up here? Him and Conboy in the game together? Ouch.

Staal and Dwyer got sent down also!!

Who? Not Staal...it was Melichar. Unfortunately, you will not see Staal go down because:

1). He does not have a two-way contract.

2). He would have to be put on waviers and then cleared.

3). He is the "Franchise" player. He has a golden ticket!!!!

Now, about Frankie....I have to use a four letter word...D U M P!!!!!

Yeah I'd put Cullen at the #1 center spot until Staal can get some semblance of a scoring touch back. He cannot even hit wide open nets right now. Cullen, Ruutu, LaRose, Walker, and Bayda are the only forwards doing anything right now and Walker is out. Gleason, Wallin, Corvo and Seidenberg are our only good defenders and are best two of that group are injured right now. And as much as Cullen means to the team at the point on the PP, we need to shake the PP line up as well to get some chemistry going there.

At the game last night I noticed just how awful Pitkanen was. Twice I saw him pinch after the Pens go the puck, when all the other forwards were down low, and once it led to a goal and the other time it was a scoring chance. Then he missed scoring on a great pass from Whitney, he didn't take any open shots from the point and then someone passed the puck around the boards to him on a PP in the third and he literally made ZERO effort getting to it and watched it skip down the ice toward Leighton. As inconsistent as Ward has been, he's been much better lately and we need him back. Leighton gave up SOOOO many rebounds last night and was so far out of position numerous times that it was ridiculous.

Who? Not Staal...it was Melichar. Unfortunately, you will not see Staal go down because:

1). He does not have a two-way contract.

2). He would have to be put on waviers and then cleared.

3). He is the "Franchise" player. He has a golden ticket!!!!

Now, about Frankie....I have to use a four letter word...D U M P!!!!!

the Staal comment was for who would get the C, Frankie can't be dumped either (see Tanabe) - you can't do that to an injured player.

Skate hard. Carry the puck. Shoot the puck. Finish checks. No? Have a seat, somebody else may be willing to make a consistent effort.

Oh, and defense, you guys are supposed to be between the attackers and the goal. If somebody is parked in the slot, you may want to anticipate that they are waiting for a pass or rebound.

Where do I pick up my stick of gum and clipboard? Nevermind, I'll settle for a consulting fee.

Are they at least watching video and saying, "Ugh, that was terrible. Let's not do that...that is bad. You see that thing that the other team just did? Yeah. We should do more of that."

Move up the line with all the heart, let the 'superstar nonproducers' sit a few shifts.

A lot of our problems with teams beating us is turn overs. I think our guys are keeping their heads down at the puck when they can't see the guy in front of them. They need not to worry about how much the puck is on the blade and just worry about passing it and then that guy can take it from there. More attacking, shooting, and finishing the checks. I also hate the games when we out shoot the other team but still loose it. Just like the last game. God I hate those.

Not to fear my fellow Caniac's....I am wearing my lucky Trevor Kidd jersey for the weekend games and we have a pretty good record when I wear it. So if you see me say hi and go Canes!...unless Maurice sees me and mistakes me for the real one and I have to play...If thats the case...pray like hell.

I want to add what I said a while back.

We only have 2 players that will park in the slot and take the abuse to score goals by screening, creating traffic, or scraping up a puck on a rebound.

Laugh if you like but Justin Williams and Brookbank are the only 2 that do it for us now. I am sorry but launching a slap shot from the blue line and trying to get a rebound sitting in the "umbrella" from 15 yards away isnt how we are going to start winning again. Samsonov and Whitney are too small. Walker is best moving around creating havoc (as is Ruutu) and Staal doesnt have the passing ability to setup his linemates from behind the net but thinks he does. I am not saying keep Wade up, but I am saying its sad we don't have a guy parked in front of the other teams goalie.

I'd also like to address a few D-men. No one is talking about just how pitiful and shakey that Anton Babchuk has looked often with the puck. Last night he fired several shots so wide of the net the goalie didnt even raise his glove. As soon as Anton gets the puck deep in our zone he looks shakey and paniced trying to dish it. I stand behind my previous opnion of him. Send him back to Russia. He is big, soft, can't hit the side of a barn, and shakey with the puck in our own end. I've been a critic of Kabrele but I think he is actually playing well this season (except when he has been hurt). After Gleason, Sieds, Joni, Corvo, Walin, and Kabrele, Casey Borer is the best Dman in our organization. If the kid is healthy finally from last seasons injury lets go ahead and make it offical and drop the Anton experiment. Borer is an outstanding passer, confident with the puck, and positionally solid. That equals an upgrade in my book.

Whitney has been awful the last few games turning the puck over with poor passing. He needs to snap out of it pronto. Matt Cullen was the best center we had last year when he was healthy and he is the best we have this year when healthy. Rod needs less ice time to heal or to help on special teams. He needs to be moved down to the 3rd line. The only Center we have had for 2 years that makes his line better just by being on it is Cullen. Cullen needs to run with our top wings. Put Rod up against the other teams 3rd line. Rod can play the wing, I would even entertain Ruutu as a center and Rod at wing.

Sorry to ramble, but thats my 2-cents.

I got flamed all summer for saying that Matt Cullen should be either on the top line as a wing or the second line center and the main guy on the powerplay, reguardless of what Roddy has done in the past or the price we paid to get that lazy "puck mover" over the summer. There is no argument to that now.

Anyhow, I would make these line changes:

Samsonov-Staal-Ruutu: This line is really coming together over the past few games,only a matter of time...

Whitney-Cullen-Williams: Williams looked great with Cullen in a few shifts vs the Pens, and Whitney isn't moving.

Larose-Sutter-Walker: Sutter is better than Brindy, and Larose deserves to stay in the top nine.

Conboy-Brind`amour-Eaves: There is no help for Rod, his time is OVER. Eaves could be primarily used on the PK, and Conboy is perfect because he has some offensive skill, can skate, win figts, instigate, hit, and, if needed, fill in on D.

I would strip the C from Brind`amour. Staal would be made captain, give A`s to Gleason, Williams, and Seidenberg. We need to move on. No more leadership roles from Lavi or Rod. I would consider having Gleason as a permanent A, with Williams, Walker, Seidenberg, and Cullen alternating home/road like we did last year. Cullen-Corvo would always be the # powerplay point pairing. Success of our powerplay since 05/06 has been a total reflection of Cullens play at the time. If Cullen is going, our powerplay is scoring. IMO, Borer has a shot to stick with the team if he plays well. There are a couple of teams looking for Kaberle caliber players right now.

I like Mo`s nononsense coaching. I hope if Pitkanen or Corvo are out there being extremely lazy on the powerplay like last nights game, they will be benched. I also hope Rod realizes he is hurting the team more than he is helping. As a fourth liner, he could benefit this team, to be used only in specialty, face-off situations.

Larose-Sutter-Walker: Sutter is better than Brindy, and Larose deserves to stay in the top nine.

Conboy-Brind`amour-Eaves: There is no help for Rod, his time is OVER. Eaves could be primarily used on the PK, and Conboy is perfect because he has some offensive skill, can skate, win figts, instigate, hit, and, if needed, fill in on D.

I would strip the C from Brind`amour.

Okay it's late, I can't sleep and I feel that I must respond to this post.

Rod Brind'amour is having a bad year recovering from two knee surgeries. He currently ranks last in the league in +/-, but also ranks second in the league in faceoff win %. On the power play last night, he carried the puck into the zone, made a good pass and drove to the net to set up the screen that allowed Cullen's shot to make it through. I could understand dropping Brindy to the third line - mostly because Cullen has been playing well, winning the majority of his faceoffs and has earned the minutes - but to say that his time is over and there is no help is more than a little silly. He is the leader on this team. When Brind'amour speaks, the players on this team listen. Strip the C? For being in his late 30's and taking longer to recover from knee surgery? C'mon.

I have admired Sutter's play so far - especially on the PK - but his faceoff % is awful and his offensive game still needs work. Also, Eaves played a very good game last night and has been playing more aggressively with each game back from injury. He is good on the PK, and I know this is an unpopular opinion as he did not start off well, but this guy is also a very good 5 on 5 forward: he forechecks hard, is defensively responsible, hits on occasion and has a very hard and quick wrist shot - I just wish he would shoot more often. Next game, pay attention to #44 and, hopefully, you will see what I'm talking about.

BTW - Conboy has no offensive potential other than to crash the net and ocasionally shovel garbage.

Get Cole back here fast. Prayers for no more injuries.
Did anyone else find the placement of these two sentences next to each other hilarious?

BTW, Cole has fewer points than Samsonov.