The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ynotagain

The next changes needed ...

Get Cole back here fast. Prayers for no more injuries.

Did anyone else find the placement of these two sentences next to each other hilarious?

ROFL I didn't notice that until now, but since you pointed it out, it's hilarious.

Rod Brind'amour is having a bad year recovering from two knee surgeries. He currently ranks last in the league in +/-, but also ranks second in the league in faceoff win %. On the power play last night, he carried the puck into the zone, made a good pass and drove to the net to set up the screen that allowed Cullen's shot to make it through. I could understand dropping Brindy to the third line - mostly because Cullen has been playing well, winning the majority of his faceoffs and has earned the minutes - but to say that his time is over and there is no help is more than a little silly. He is the leader on this team. When Brind'amour speaks, the players on this team listen. Strip the C? For being in his late 30's and taking longer to recover from knee surgery? C'mon.

While I admire Brind'amour and appreciate all he has done for this franchise, I have to disagree with some of this. I don't care how many face offs you win, if you are -20 you are a liability to your team. While the guys respect him, and I do too, they also aren't stupid. They know their Captain is -20 and not the Brind'amour of the past. Like it or not, in your late 30s you are not going to come back 100% at this level after 2 knee surgeries. No one on the team can tell a legend he's through. Rod needs to realize this himself and quit while he's ahead (like Francis did). Having recently retired from a 30 year career in a job that I loved I kind of know what he's going through. My previous job as a fighter pilot is a young man's game, as is hockey. I had to accept that it was time for me to move on, and it was difficult and painful. I just hope Roddy can do the same. He's a class guy and I'm sure deep inside he knows this.

Giving Staal the C is not going to magically improve his play. If he is hurt sit him and let him heal. (or at least reduce his ice time) Brindy is one of my favorite players but he really needs a reduction in ice time. I think he averages around 19 a game. Too much IMO for someone his age coming off 2 surgerys on his knee. Glad to see Conboy come back to add some toughness. If anyone does not need to be traded its Ruutu. He brings so much to this team. We need more players like him who will finish their checks and make playing against us tougher. We need more grit.

the Staal comment was for who would get the C, Frankie can't be dumped either (see Tanabe) - you can't do that to an injured player.

Depends on what is meant by "dump" - Tanabe was bought out. Frank is not on IR, so he could be waived and reassigned, though they'd be crazy to do so.

I think we should trade Rod for a future draft choice and trade Witney for another young player for starters. Time to dismantle it and start from scratch. The band-aid approach is simply not working. We don't have the funds to build like the Wings.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809''>http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809' target="_blank">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809[/post]

Detroit's payroll is $57M

Our is $51M

I realize $6M is $6M, but we're not talking Yankees vs. Pirates here.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809''>http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809' target="_blank">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809[/post]

Detroit's payroll is $57M

Our is $51M

I realize $6M is $6M, but we're not talking Yankees vs. Pirates here.

You have to take into account that Karmanos' preseason self-imposed salary cap was around $50 million. When you factor in the state of the economy and the potential of another season without postseason revenue, I wouldn't expect that self-imposed salary cap to increase next season. This offseason; Bayda, LaRose, and Seidenberg will be unrestricted free agents while Babchuk, Borer, and Ruutu will be restricted free agents. There will need to be space made somewhere in the budget to re-sign some of these players, especially Ruutu who will command $3 million+ a year to sign an extended contract. That doesn't even account for the roster moves that will need to be made to simply make this team better. While I wouldn't expect this team to make a move for a player like Gaborik, I think they have to make some type of major acquisition in the offseason just to appease the fanbase and try to change the mood around this team.

Find a new home for Eric Staal and his huge, unjustified salary. I'm getting sick showing up at the RBC Center and watching him lolly gag around the ice, reach instead of skate hard for pucks and be generally a non-factor. JR has made a huge mistake giving this guy a long term, high dollar contract. I honestly question his heart and desire.

AMEN to this... i can not even believe that people actually consider him as a team captain right now..... sometimes i wonder if they see a diffrent game or something.In my eyes he should pay the poor fans some money back for the pain they suffer seing him play.......he is not the best player right now....or should i say since the season started. thanks for saying whats on my mind!!!!

While I admire Brind'amour and appreciate all he has done for this franchise, I have to disagree with some of this. I don't care how many face offs you win, if you are -20 you are a liability to your team. While the guys respect him, and I do too, they also aren't stupid. They know their Captain is -20 and not the Brind'amour of the past. Like it or not, in your late 30s you are not going to come back 100% at this level after 2 knee surgeries. No one on the team can tell a legend he's through. Rod needs to realize this himself and quit while he's ahead (like Francis did). Having recently retired from a 30 year career in a job that I loved I kind of know what he's going through. My previous job as a fighter pilot is a young man's game, as is hockey. I had to accept that it was time for me to move on, and it was difficult and painful. I just hope Roddy can do the same. He's a class guy and I'm sure deep inside he knows this.

I commented during that game last night that Rod looked to be playing a bit tougher against Phily. Good energy.

Officially the stats say he had 4 hits, and a few good ones in front of us rocked the glass.

BUT in the end, Rod was another -2 ( as he's been for 4 out of the last 5 games) for a near league leading* minus 22, including a loss of the last face off which ened up being the unassisted game winner. OUCH

(* actually the nhl stats show Rod's +/- league rank at 731st ! With ~24 players on 30 teams = 720, that 731 spot is way down there )

Maybe the captain needs to take a week of IR rest, and see if that helps return him to his former form.

If you want to grade Staal's performance in comparison to his salary, you have to realize that the contract extension doesn't take effect until next season. This year he is set to make $5 million which, if you look around the league, should be considered a steal. His play may be in a slump at the moment, which nobody can deny, but you will not find another player in the NHL that could fill his spot in the line-up at a cheaper salary.

Cole has worse numbers than Pitkanen so I say no to that, he has been a bust for Edmonton. Brindy needs to be traded or stripped of the "C" - his choice. When he was down with an injury, Staal woke up and carried the team even with AHL talent. We missed the playoffs because JR found it necessary to put veteran's back in instead of the guys that got them there.

Cole's play has been struggling this year. I can't blame him though. Cole played with Staal at center for the past 3 years. Now that he's in Edmonton, he has a coach that doesn't keep the same lines longer than 2-3 games. He's not used to MacBlender (MacTavish, Oilers coach).

As for getting him back, I am all for it. Reunite Cole and Staal and leave Ruutu on the other wing, you have a great first line. I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton doesn't resign Cole, they expected him to score 25 - 40 goals this season. I am worried if they do want to resign him and throw ridiculous money at him because Darryl Katz (Oilers Owner) is loaded with cash.

As for Staal's play, if in the next game or two he still doesn't come up with anything, sit him for awhile, until he gets it through his head that if he doesn't play hard, he doesn't play.

Have we covered shooting at least once with a man advantage? We may also need to address a lack of shots with a TWO man advantage. Looking much better even strength the last couple of games, though. And Staal finally looks wide awake...must have seen one of those 5 hour energy commercials.

This may make a lot of people very upset, but I think it is time to bring in a new goalie. Besides the playoff run what has ward done. Sure he has some good games, and he has some good saves ( usually overly hyped by forsland and tracy), but he is not consistent. How many times in a game do you hear Tripp say he wishes he could have that one back. Ward lets up too many week goals. That would be ok sometimes, but it seems like every game he has a few go by him that should be stopped. As a goalie you are not going to stop every shot, but you need to keep your team in the game to help them win. Too many times he has lost the Canes games. I haven't seen Leighton enough to make a decision on him yet. he seems to be an ok backup with some promise. I know the Stanley Cup run wasn't too long ago so there is some emotional attachment to Ward, but it is time to look at options for bringing in a new goal tender. Maybe that would help wake Ward up.

This may make a lot of people very upset, but I think it is time to bring in a new goalie. Besides the playoff run what has ward done. Sure he has some good games, and he has some good saves ( usually overly hyped by forsland and tracy), but he is not consistent. How many times in a game do you hear Tripp say he wishes he could have that one back. Ward lets up too many week goals. That would be ok sometimes, but it seems like every game he has a few go by him that should be stopped. As a goalie you are not going to stop every shot, but you need to keep your team in the game to help them win. Too many times he has lost the Canes games. I haven't seen Leighton enough to make a decision on him yet. he seems to be an ok backup with some promise. I know the Stanley Cup run wasn't too long ago so there is some emotional attachment to Ward, but it is time to look at options for bringing in a new goal tender. Maybe that would help wake Ward up.

You're about 2 months late with this idea. ;) Its been discussed over and over and always ends up splitting the board 50/50 about whether Ward should be the #1.

This team needs a large move (or 2) in player personnel IMO to truly compete again in the NHL. Maybe it won't be possible with self-imposed salary limitations and current economics, but it is time to accept that the current roster is an also ran team. The Canes are in the right hand lane of the 6 lane NHL highway. If the Canes want to compete with teams that are led by the likes of Crosby-Malkin or Ovechkin-Semin they will need to do more than tinker or change coaches. If PK and JR would be willing to add 2 mil (or so) in salary, this team could soar and still be 4+ mil under the cap. It would be tremendous if the Canes could find a dance partner to make moves and take on a bit more quality salary for themselves. For example, it is rumored that Nashville is close to bankruptcy or it is known that San Jose has cap issues, or a team who does not want to pay an UFA for next season, etc.

Here is one idea (ok, maybe it's a fantasy) that I've had:

Get Gaborik from Minnesota (JR determine he can be signed long-term) and Give up Cullen, LaRose, and Corvo (or Kaberle - their choice). Canes lose $6.5 mil in salary and bring on $7.5 (all approximate). On the Canes end, Cullen and LaRose are not getting the ice time that they deserve. Cullen would love to play in MN and deserves to play a second line. LaRose brings spark to a third line and Corvo brings some fire power for the defense. This is giving up a good bit, but it brings in another star and size for the top line. Gaborik and Staal with Williams, eventually, is a legit front line that can compete with the Caps and the best in the East. For our centers, Sutter can move up the charts and Helminen proved that he can play in the NHL when he was up. This also gives a message to Pitkanen that his role expectation is for him to be the key offensive piece of the Canes defense (assuming the Wild want Corvo). With this trade idea, the Canes might want to do something in addition on the blue line, like pick up a solid, lower-tier defenseman, such as someone from San Jose where they have a glut due to their top pairing.

The lines I envision:

Staal-Gaborik-Williams

Sutter-Ruutu-Samsonov

Brind'Amour-Whitney-Walker

Helminen-Eaves-Bayda

Gleason-Pitkanen

Wallin-Seidenberg

Carson-Kaberle

Ward

Leighton

Brookbank and Conboy also on the roster, usually healthy scratches who can bring in muscle and energy when needed.

I am one who believes in Ward and his *potential* He was beginning to perform well consistently before his injury and I don't think the Canes are going to get enough in return for him if they try to trade him. Ward is a good enough Goalie who has the experience of winning a Cup which means a lot...if the Canes can ever get back to the playoffs. Similarly, Roddy is not playing to his past abilities, so I'm not certain other teams would want his contract and he does bring leadership and work ethic to the Canes team which are valuable.

So, those are my thoughts, any others?

I think the Canes are mediocre at best. We don't have the budget that other elite teams do, so we're basically hanging on in the middle of the pack... right where we left off last year. Let's face it, if we were in a division other than the South-Least, we'd be even worse off. But at least here we have an outside shot of challenging for the division; the only problem is, only one team is getting in the post-season from this division.

The Caps have obviously improved and have the league's best player. They are solid and are getting better, based on their run in the 2H last year that caught us by the end of the season and the fact that they're out to a good start this year.

Long story short, we're not going to catch them.

Yes, injuries have hurt us, but age is taking its toll as well. You guys are right that Rod is not having a good season, and that's mostly attributable to coming off his injury. Whitney is playing ok but he's not making as many plays as he used to. Samsonov... I really expected more from him this year.

And as much as everyone picks on Staal, I think he's doing ok... but he's not going to be our Ovechkin or Crosby. Hell, he's not even our Semin or Malkin. Well, to be blunt, he is our version of those guys, but he's a poor man's Ovechkin. His moments of brilliance are too far and between to be considered an elite player. I was there the night he got the hat trick against the Coyotes, and you could tell he was where he was supposed to be and basically took the game over by fighting hard in front of the net. He just doesn't show that determination in every game and that's frustrating.

In his defense, opposing teams don't have many other concerns when they see the Canes coming. Shut down Staal and you have a lot less to worry about, considering the other guys aren't exactly playing great.

What should be our next steps? I think we'll stay relatively competitive as we approach the trade deadline, but I suspect that we'll be far enough behind the Caps by then, and far enough out of the 8th seed for the postseason that we'll start looking at trading some of the older/non-productive guys to teams that are in the hunt for a chance to get some younger guys or draft picks. A team that is sitting 3/4 in either the East or West might pick up a Brindy or Whitney or Wallin because of the Cup experience.

I think defensively we've just been crushed by injuries. The thing that worries me about them is that for Wallin and Seidenburg this is multiple years in a row where they're missing significant time, and if you can't get guys who can stay healthy, then you need to move them.

Offensively we are inconsistent to a fault. The style of game we play, we need more guys like Ruutu and Larose, grinders, hitters, forecheckers... who are going to fight to get the puck loose in the other end and get a chance at a goal. Our skill players just aren't cutting it right now.

And as for goalies... Ward had his 15 minutes of fame. Conn Smythe was likely his claim to fame. He's really just an average goalie.

If I had to make a change right now, I'd say we should do what we have to do to get an elite goalie. Look at the Devils... that's a team that because of Brodeur has remained in the hunt year-after-year, despite not having a ton of great scorers. If we're trying to build a team around a limited budget, then goalie has to be our bedrock.

Interesting list. I don't think we'll trade Ruutu. He's probably playing the best hockey of anyone on our team. The others, however, I think I can agree with as being potential trade bait. The only reason I think we'd deal Ruutu is if we thought we couldn't keep him long term after this season.

As for your other list... the only problem with it is I don't think those guys are going to be on anyone's trade list... at least not for anything we'd have on offer. There's no doubt that we'll need to make some moves for younger players, but it's going to be younger players who have potential are aren't scoring right now... there's little to no chance we'd get a guy who has 30 points or a guy like Backstrom who is playing so well.

The season after we won the cup, we still had 16 of the Stanley Cup winning team players on the roster - with no less than six all-star caliber players, and we still couldn't make the playoffs. I don't think it's all about talent. It's about commitment and desire and work ethic. There are only a handful of guys on the team who seem to put in 100% on every shift for the entire shift. That isn't enough of a commitment to make the playoffs, let alone take a serious run at another cup.

I think the Canes are mediocre at best. We don't have the budget that other elite teams do, so we're basically hanging on in the middle of the pack... right where we left off last year. Let's face it, if we were in a division other than the South-Least, we'd be even worse off. But at least here we have an outside shot of challenging for the division; the only problem is, only one team is getting in the post-season from this division.

The Caps have obviously improved and have the league's best player. They are solid and are getting better, based on their run in the 2H last year that caught us by the end of the season and the fact that they're out to a good start this year.

Long story short, we're not going to catch them.

Yes, injuries have hurt us, but age is taking its toll as well. You guys are right that Rod is not having a good season, and that's mostly attributable to coming off his injury. Whitney is playing ok but he's not making as many plays as he used to. Samsonov... I really expected more from him this year.

And as much as everyone picks on Staal, I think he's doing ok... but he's not going to be our Ovechkin or Crosby. Hell, he's not even our Semin or Malkin. Well, to be blunt, he is our version of those guys, but he's a poor man's Ovechkin. His moments of brilliance are too far and between to be considered an elite player. I was there the night he got the hat trick against the Coyotes, and you could tell he was where he was supposed to be and basically took the game over by fighting hard in front of the net. He just doesn't show that determination in every game and that's frustrating.

In his defense, opposing teams don't have many other concerns when they see the Canes coming. Shut down Staal and you have a lot less to worry about, considering the other guys aren't exactly playing great.

What should be our next steps? I think we'll stay relatively competitive as we approach the trade deadline, but I suspect that we'll be far enough behind the Caps by then, and far enough out of the 8th seed for the postseason that we'll start looking at trading some of the older/non-productive guys to teams that are in the hunt for a chance to get some younger guys or draft picks. A team that is sitting 3/4 in either the East or West might pick up a Brindy or Whitney or Wallin because of the Cup experience.

I think defensively we've just been crushed by injuries. The thing that worries me about them is that for Wallin and Seidenburg this is multiple years in a row where they're missing significant time, and if you can't get guys who can stay healthy, then you need to move them.

Offensively we are inconsistent to a fault. The style of game we play, we need more guys like Ruutu and Larose, grinders, hitters, forecheckers... who are going to fight to get the puck loose in the other end and get a chance at a goal. Our skill players just aren't cutting it right now.

And as for goalies... Ward had his 15 minutes of fame. Conn Smythe was likely his claim to fame. He's really just an average goalie.

If I had to make a change right now, I'd say we should do what we have to do to get an elite goalie. Look at the Devils... that's a team that because of Brodeur has remained in the hunt year-after-year, despite not having a ton of great scorers. If we're trying to build a team around a limited budget, then goalie has to be our bedrock.

Nice list. Lucic would be precisely what the doctor ordered for this team IMO. Boston is going to be able to make a Cup run this year and could probably benefit from some Cup vets like a Whitney or Cullen or even Brindy. I'm not sure how to make a package and numbers work on the Boston end however. The Bruins are tight on the salary cap. The Canes could eat Manny Fernandez contract, but Leighton isn't exactly like having Fernandez as your back up to make a Cup run. Any other "bad" contracts on the Bruins that they'd be looking to cast off and send Lucic along too that I'm not thinking of? (And, having Fernandez would give Cam real competition and challenge which would be good for the Canes!)

Nice list. Lucic would be precisely what the doctor ordered for this team IMO. Boston is going to be able to make a Cup run this year and could probably benefit from some Cup vets like a Whitney or Cullen or even Brindy. I'm not sure how to make a package and numbers work on the Boston end however. The Bruins are tight on the salary cap. The Canes could eat Manny Fernandez contract, but Leighton isn't exactly like having Fernandez as your back up to make a Cup run. Any other "bad" contracts on the Bruins that they'd be looking to cast off and send Lucic along too that I'm not thinking of? (And, having Fernandez would give Cam real competition and challenge which would be good for the Canes!)

Sorry, but Milan Lucic is a God in Boston and one of the biggest reasons they are where they are right now. The Jacobs Family might be crazy but Peter Chiarelli isn't and he's not letting Lucic go anywhere. If he helps to bring a Cup to Boston this year, think Tom Brady, Larry Bird, Big Papi, Paul Pierce and Bobby Orr.....ok, maybe not Bobby Orr.

Next move is to make players accountable, which I hate to say, has been absent from this organization I think for a while.

If Eaves, LaRose, or Bayda play poorly they easily get their ice-time reduced...however when a guy like rod has been struggling all year his minutes stay steady, and although the +/- stat is overrated, when it is as bad as his is it can't be ignored and his line is usually the one pinned in its own end the most it seems.

I know we don't have a 2nd line centerman, but Cullen is still a decent option there until one is obtained. Rod can sitll play maybe 17 minutes. but giving him 20+ minutes is insane, the guy just can't keep up and backcheck like he used to. He's still the captain, but he is not longer a top forward especially in even-strength situations.

Larose has had his ice-time dropped significantly last game, and Cullen has been kicked off the PP for whatever reason.

Meanwhile: Rod at even-strength = 29 GP 7 pts, -21, 4 goals, 3 assists, ice-time (even-strength) 15:29 per game

Matt at even-strength = 24 GP 9 pts, even, 6 goals, 3 assists, 11:53 per game

Despite playing with better players, more time, and playing more games, Rod is still producing less than Matt. it's time to cut some of Rod's ice-time, but i don't know if maurice has the guts to do it.

hard to disagree with that.