The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ynotagain

The next changes needed ...

I've said it before and I'll say it now:

Whether or not Brind'Amour has a no-trade-clause, the Hurricanes need to make it known that his services are no longer needed here. Give him the opportunity to choose what team he would like to be moved to, the Blackhawks come to mind as a team that is postseason bound with very little postseason experience, and send him there. Not for a roster player in return, but either a draft pick or prospect. The move would be made simply to create an opportunity for our younger forwards; Cullen would be moved up to the second-line, Sutter moved up to the third-line, and a player like Blanchard or Helminen could be called up to center the fourth-line.

I feel this move should be made sooner rather than later, so there is enough time before the trade deadline to determine the team's response to the move. If their play improves, like it did late last season, I think you ride that roster until the end of the season. However, if they continue to falter, I think the team needs to approach players like Walker and Whitney in the same fashion they did Brind'Amour and give them an opportunity to be moved. Perhaps Walker would like to return to Nashville to finish his career there while a team like Minnesota could use Whitney's offensive ability. Like before, draft picks or prospects in return for both players as the eyes of the front office would clearly be set towards the offseason and re-signing Ruutu while trying to make a splash in free agency.

Many may say that it's too early in the season to make a move like this, but I just feel that it's time for Rutherford to continue the roster purge that he started last year when he sent Commodore and Stillman to Ottawa. Everyone should remember that late last season; without Brind'Amour, Whitney, Williams, and a back-up goaltender, this team was one of the best in the NHL.

Nice list there, but there's NWIH we get Lucic, Semin or Backstrom. Maybe in a fantasy league or in PS3 or XBox video game, but not in real life. The Wild isn't likely to trade their #1 goalie, Caps will never trade Semin to another SE Division team, and Bruins won't trade Milan Lucic period.

Gaborik is also a bad idea, if the guy was healthy I could see the logic in taking his huge contract and most likely having to let him sign elsewhere at the end of the season, but the last thing we need is all that money tied up on IR.

I say we go with what we have. If we could get a 2nd/3rd round pick or a young shutdown

No way do we want Gaborik! Talk about a fragile player... One thing about Staal is he is durable. He is there game in and game out. Who knows about Eaves because he has never been healthy for a long stretch. No way do we trade Ruutu. He and Walker bring a toughness not to mention skill. Wish we had someone like Lucic from Boston. The Caps managaged to win with 10 regulars out and now they are getting them back. I hate to say it but I don't see us catching them. If we play up to our ability maybe we will still make it in. I will still support our team no matter what happens. I love hockey and I love the Canes. I vent about us when we do bad but I also post when we do well. Go Canes!! Take out the Rangers

This team needs a large move (or 2) in player personnel IMO to truly compete again in the NHL. Maybe it won't be possible with self-imposed salary limitations and current economics, but it is time to accept that the current roster is an also ran team. The Canes are in the right hand lane of the 6 lane NHL highway. If the Canes want to compete with teams that are led by the likes of Crosby-Malkin or Ovechkin-Semin they will need to do more than tinker or change coaches. If PK and JR would be willing to add 2 mil (or so) in salary, this team could soar and still be 4+ mil under the cap. It would be tremendous if the Canes could find a dance partner to make moves and take on a bit more quality salary for themselves. For example, it is rumored that Nashville is close to bankruptcy or it is known that San Jose has cap issues, or a team who does not want to pay an UFA for next season, etc.

Here is one idea (ok, maybe it's a fantasy) that I've had:

Get Gaborik from Minnesota (JR determine he can be signed long-term) and Give up Cullen, LaRose, and Corvo (or Kaberle - their choice). Canes lose $6.5 mil in salary and bring on $7.5 (all approximate). On the Canes end, Cullen and LaRose are not getting the ice time that they deserve. Cullen would love to play in MN and deserves to play a second line. LaRose brings spark to a third line and Corvo brings some fire power for the defense. This is giving up a good bit, but it brings in another star and size for the top line. Gaborik and Staal with Williams, eventually, is a legit front line that can compete with the Caps and the best in the East. For our centers, Sutter can move up the charts and Helminen proved that he can play in the NHL when he was up. This also gives a message to Pitkanen that his role expectation is for him to be the key offensive piece of the Canes defense (assuming the Wild want Corvo). With this trade idea, the Canes might want to do something in addition on the blue line, like pick up a solid, lower-tier defenseman, such as someone from San Jose where they have a glut due to their top pairing.

The lines I envision:

Staal-Gaborik-Williams

Sutter-Ruutu-Samsonov

Brind'Amour-Whitney-Walker

Helminen-Eaves-Bayda

Gleason-Pitkanen

Wallin-Seidenberg

Carson-Kaberle

Ward

Leighton

Brookbank and Conboy also on the roster, usually healthy scratches who can bring in muscle and energy when needed.

I am one who believes in Ward and his *potential* He was beginning to perform well consistently before his injury and I don't think the Canes are going to get enough in return for him if they try to trade him. Ward is a good enough Goalie who has the experience of winning a Cup which means a lot...if the Canes can ever get back to the playoffs. Similarly, Roddy is not playing to his past abilities, so I'm not certain other teams would want his contract and he does bring leadership and work ethic to the Canes team which are valuable.

So, those are my thoughts, any others?

I like the idea and I've been preaching the same thing about picking up Gab's... though oft injured, he's used to playing in a defense first system.. very similar to what Mo does. He'd also bring that big time caliber player Staal needs next to him to get his game rolling. I also (hate to say it) believe that if this were to happen, Cullen or Corvo could be key components to a trade of this magnatude, given the fact that the Wild are losing a goal scorer. You talk about a solid D-man from San Jose.. first name that comes to mind as far as available would be Kyle McLaren.. he's been trapped in the minors for a while this year and probably itching to get back to the bigs. Back to the Gaborik situation.. He's something this teams is missing.. a star player. We have in my eyes, to many little pieces to the puzzle.. and not enough big pieces!! GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's something this teams is missing.. a star player. We have in my eyes, to many little pieces to the puzzle.. and not enough big pieces!! GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are right about that. i think they put all there eggs in one basket on staal becoming that star. as great as a player that staal he is not that star player that will put a team on that next level. The next problem is the self imposed salary cap. it is hard to bring in a star player if you are not willing to spend the money. they have a nice foundation of players, but like you said it is just not enough pieces to the puzzle.

you are right about that. i think they put all there eggs in one basket on staal becoming that star. as great as a player that staal he is not that star player that will put a team on that next level. The next problem is the self imposed salary cap. it is hard to bring in a star player if you are not willing to spend the money. they have a nice foundation of players, but like you said it is just not enough pieces to the puzzle.

You know, I could've sworn I read or heard somewhere that P. Karmanos said he'd be willing to spend a little more if the right player(s) came along.. seems to be, the right players to him have to be cheap ones! I'm kinda sick of this self-imposed cap. We are never gonna be elite with that SI cap.. just plain mediocre. Small market teams can become bigger if they aren't so afraid to open their pockets more! Winning fills seats.. get a move on JR and P. Karmanos.. you decided to move the team here, now act like you want to keep it here!!!!

I'm kinda sick of this self-imposed cap. We are never gonna be elite with that SI cap.. just plain mediocre. Small market teams can become bigger if they aren't so afraid to open their pockets more! Winning fills seats.. get a move on JR and P. Karmanos.. you decided to move the team here, now act like you want to keep it here!!!!

I fully agree! Also agree with your earlier comments about the need for a big piece or two and that the team has a solid foundation. Part of why I wrote out the lines with a true top line winger in my earlier post was to show just how close the Canes are to being a legitimate team that we could expect to go to the playoffs rather than hoping that some breaks go our way and we get a 7 or 8 seed. With the right mix of salary going out in a trade and a star winger with a combo of aggression and defensive ability coming in there is great possibility. Bring in another solid second pairing defenseman too, and things would really be looking up. All totaled, this would cost the team an added 2 to 3 million. Easy to say when it's not my money, but the amount I am talking would be covered by first round playoff ticket revenues.

I fully agree! Also agree with your earlier comments about the need for a big piece or two and that the team has a solid foundation. Part of why I wrote out the lines with a true top line winger in my earlier post was to show just how close the Canes are to being a legitimate team that we could expect to go to the playoffs rather than hoping that some breaks go our way and we get a 7 or 8 seed. With the right mix of salary going out in a trade and a star winger with a combo of aggression and defensive ability coming in there is great possibility. Bring in another solid second pairing defenseman too, and things would really be looking up. All totaled, this would cost the team an added 2 to 3 million. Easy to say when it's not my money, but the amount I am talking would be covered by first round playoff ticket revenues.

My sentiments exactly... we are on the same page here.

You know, I could've sworn I read or heard somewhere that P. Karmanos said he'd be willing to spend a little more if the right player(s) came along.. seems to be, the right players to him have to be cheap ones! I'm kinda sick of this self-imposed cap. We are never gonna be elite with that SI cap.. just plain mediocre. Small market teams can become bigger if they aren't so afraid to open their pockets more! Winning fills seats.. get a move on JR and P. Karmanos.. you decided to move the team here, now act like you want to keep it here!!!!

Lets think back to the cup year. JR didn't bring in the best and highest paid players, he brought in the right ones, guys like Whitney, Stilman and Cullen. You can have a good team without spending a whole bunch of money on overpriced free agents. Now I'm not saying we can't bring in anyone good, we can, but you have to clear up money somehow and that's why JR will trade over sign a free agent.

The team loses money every year, and barely broke even the cup year. Spending to the cap, or past the self imposed cap, makes the debt even greater.

I completely disagree. I think he's smart for having a self-imposed cap, and you don't need to spend more than the canes are to make the playoffs, there is enough talent there.

The main problem with the cane sis as usual, scouting and drafting. Rutherford hasn't made too many bad trades over the years, or expensive signings really.

drafting has nothing to do with your cap, and thats what all the top teams have in common good drafting. Detroit, SJ, NJ, Philadelphia, Anaheim all have drafted well over the past 5 years or so.

I'm not just talking 1st rounders here, I mean non-first round picks too. Players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Nabokov, Elias,Gionta are not first-round picks.

The other problem would be holding onto draft picks too I guess, hopefully we can hang onto prospects in the future.

Hm, I've been thinkin about this a lot. I'm watching other teams, see what works, and what doesn't, seemingly.

For next season, I really think that Brindy should take his hat. But let me explain: It's not about Brindy being bad, or I'd dislike him. It's just about time for a change. I look at the rangers, who are doing well after Jagr left, teh Canucks are pretty fine with Naslund gone, and even the Leafs are doin' well with their possibilities since Sundin went away. I think that will work for us, too, Hand the C over to Eric Staal, the future of this team, and I'm sure he will step up even bigger, given that responsibility.

A 2nd line center? Seriously: He's already on this team, he's 19 years old and I like what he's doin: Brandon Sutter. Like he's goin, I think he'll be ready for it in 09/10, and with Whitney he could get a clever playmaker with lots of experience on his line to lend him a hand on this.

As for additions: I'm not sure what can be done, but the Gaborik thing is still one thing I don't see happening. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good addition, but I'm sure that JR isn't goin to take his paycheck.

Right now, I see a great young player on Staals line: Tuomo Ruutu is surely a highly talented guy who can still take even some more steps forward. I'm sure he's a part of this teams future. However: We got another 2 high talented forwards on the starting blocks, Boychuck and Bowman both nearly made the team this year, and I'm like 99% sure they will for 09/10. Call me optimistic, but I see them both showing up numbers here.

Something like that goes for the defense: We got a good core right now with Gleason, Pitkanen, Seidenberg, and Corvo. Kabs and Wallin are some of the older guys, an for the future could be replaced with those talented rats: Conboy, Borer, Carson, Rodney...we hardly could have more potential than that.

That being said, I don't see a big need of trades for this teams future, but if JR wants to, he has buncha promising prospects to go for one significant trade on a top veteran player. The question is: Why would we go for a scoring veteran with large salary if we got the potential within the young guns on our system? If I had a choice, I would rather cheer for nice young guys like Bowman, Boychuk, that come from our own system and bring in a lot of excitement for this team and the potential to become fan favorite franchise players, than I woud do so for a veteran mercenary with a big paycheck like Gaborik.

Possible 09/10 Lineup I could imagine...

Samsonov - Staal - Ruutu

Whitney - Sutter - Williams

Bowman - Boychuk - Eaves

LaRose - Cullen - Walker

Adds: Bayda, Helminen, Dwyer

Gleason - Pitkanen

Seidenberg - Corvo

Carson - Conboy

Adds: Rodney, Babchuk, Wallin, Kaberle (maybe we really should get rid of one or two)

Ward

Leighton

Add: Peters

I would love that :)

Possible 09/10 Lineup I could imagine...

Samsonov - Staal - Ruutu

Whitney - Sutter - Williams

Bowman - Boychuk - Eaves

LaRose - Cullen - Walker

Adds: Bayda, Helminen, Dwyer

Gleason - Pitkanen

Seidenberg - Corvo

Carson - Conboy

Adds: Rodney, Babchuk, Wallin, Kaberle (maybe we really should get rid of one or two)

Ward

Leighton

Add: Peters

I would love that :)

Personally; I'd move Cullen up to the second-line, Sutter back to the third-line, and probably have Helminen center the fourth-line:

Samsonov / Staal / Ruutu

Whitney / Cullen / Williams

Bowman / Boychuk or Sutter / Boychuk or Sutter

LaRose / Helminen / Eaves

After his struggles to stay healthy this year, I just don't think Walker has another season left in him.

Defense looks solid, although I would probably replace Conboy with Borer on the third-pair. Also wouldn't rule out McBain if he decided to make the jump.

After realizing in my previous rants about free agents, I came to a conclusion.... none of the big name players would want to sign here anyway. Every single one of them go to places like the NY Rangers or Chicago. they don't understand (or know) how good our fan base really is , because all they see are dollar signs flashing before there eyes. GO'CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still confused as to this seemingly unanimous hate of Kaberle. Especially after his improved game this season. For the time that he has been healthy he has been playing excellent hockey, yet most of you seem to think hes not even worthy of 3rd line defense.

Id move around our centers a little. I still think this is the skake-up needed. I think, with his bad play this year, Cole could be had for Eaves and a 3rd. That way, Eric Staal gets his christmas wish, Cole! I also think Helminen should be called up.

Cole-Staal-Ruutu

Samsonov-Cullen-Williams

Whitney-Brind`amour-Walker

Helminen-Sutter-Larose

Id move around our centers a little. I still think this is the skake-up needed. I think, with his bad play this year, Cole could be had for Eaves and a 3rd. That way, Eric Staal gets his christmas wish, Cole! I also think Helminen should be called up.

Cole-Staal-Ruutu

Samsonov-Cullen-Williams

Whitney-Brind`amour-Walker

Helminen-Sutter-Larose

There's a 2.6 mil cap difference between the two, so that would require another trade or dump of some sorts.

I would love to have Cole back, at the right price, he was always one of my favorites, but it's hard too see him wanting to come back here now. In all the interviews I've seen he talks about how he packed his bags and said by to Carolina for good. It's wishful thinking, but unlikely. If it were to happen it would by next July, but I would imagine there is some team out there that would give him more than JR would.

I'm still confused as to this seemingly unanimous hate of Kaberle. Especially after his improved game this season. For the time that he has been healthy he has been playing excellent hockey, yet most of you seem to think hes not even worthy of 3rd line defense.

Oh well, no, that's nothing I wanted to say, I really like Kaberles play this season, and I think he'll be back for 09/10. In my post, I was just lookin at all these great young guys who could step up and be the future of this team, and in case of thinkin of a slow rebuild, it maybe the time to get things done before next season, cause right now the potential's there, right before our eyes, and it's a big chance to finish a rebuild of this team without having those dark years like other teams had in the process.

Winning fills seats but paying for high priced stars doesn't equate to winning!! And I have to ask this, are you a season ticket holder?? If you are then are you willing to pay double to triple what you do now to have these "stars". Or will you be one of those that after we sign all these high priced players will start a thread "What Happened to the $9.99 tickets - so unfair". You can't spend to the cap ceiling without having the revenue to support it. If we were to sign Ovechkin and Crosby, that wouldn't guarantee 41 consecutive sellouts. Unless you personally know something about P. Karmanos that is not otherwise public than making a statement like "the right players to him have to be cheap ones" are plain wrong. Did you not hear about Staal's contract extension??

The responsibility for keeping the team here doesn't fall solely on JR and Karmanos, we as fans have to do our part. We have to be there even when the team isn't performing up to message board standards, buy the merchandise, participate in the events. In addition our corporate partners in the community need to do their part.

Self-imposed cap keeps our tickets affordable.

Top NHL teams usually have two offensive stars, and then at least 4-5 talented offensive players to go with them. (The top teams also have decent defenses and goaltending). Our glory year we had Staal and Brind'Amour. This year we have had zero stars for the most part. I am thinking and crossing my fingers that Staal is returning to form. Brind'Amour, not so much.

The fact is that barring a dramatic improvement from our captain, our immediate need for the future (in my opinion the second half of this season, but at the least next year) is a solid NHL 2nd line center. Yes, it could be Cullen, but I would rate Cullen as a significantly above average third line center, but an average second line center.

Yes, the Gaborik thing would be fascinating. It would be really interesting to see what Staal could do with a guy like that drawing attention from the opposition. I think some who think Staal doesn't have superstar potential would be amazed.

I agree though that the top money superstar signing is not likely in the cards. Not a JR, small market kind of move. Sure would be interesting to rent him though.

Still, unless we are to go into full on rebuilding, we will need a proven veteran center for the second line. Provided of course that Brind'Amour can't get it going again. If he can, that will give us many options.

Winning fills seats but paying for high priced stars doesn't equate to winning!! And I have to ask this, are you a season ticket holder?? If you are then are you willing to pay double to triple what you do now to have these "stars". Or will you be one of those that after we sign all these high priced players will start a thread "What Happened to the $9.99 tickets - so unfair". You can't spend to the cap ceiling without having the revenue to support it. If we were to sign Ovechkin and Crosby, that wouldn't guarantee 41 consecutive sellouts. Unless you personally know something about P. Karmanos that is not otherwise public than making a statement like "the right players to him have to be cheap ones" are plain wrong. Did you not hear about Staal's contract extension??

The responsibility for keeping the team here doesn't fall solely on JR and Karmanos, we as fans have to do our part. We have to be there even when the team isn't performing up to message board standards, buy the merchandise, participate in the events. In addition our corporate partners in the community need to do their part.

Self-imposed cap keeps our tickets affordable.

No, buying talent does not guarantee winning. What I have seen discussed is the addition of one or two big pieces to the team. I would definitely like to see the addition of a top line winger and would like a solid second line defender. Staal could even have input as to the available star who would work best with him. And while Cole is great, he is not a true first line guy/star and not what is needed now. This team has a glut of low level second line players to high level third line players and few real first line players. It has been noted that JR has a poor draft record, so let him use a strength in his deal making ability and upgrade the top of the team. Upgrading here allows present top liners to shift down the chart and be high level second line or possibly third line guys. The outcome I'm looking for is a team that makes the playoffs at least 2 out of every 3 years. This is realistic when any season is started with a better than 50/50 chance of making the playoffs (8 of 15 eastern teams go to the playoffs). It was stated elsewhere that it is pathetic not to make the playoffs 3 consecutive years, and it just is. Playoffs need to become an expectation for this team, not just a wish and a hope that we will get there.

Would I be willing to pay more for added quality on the ice (quality - not just contracts)? Yes, but $5.1 mil would be only a 10% increase in salary and a 10 to 20% increase in tickets would bring the Canes in line with other teams. Making a couple of deals is not likely to add $5 mil and I expect that next year Sutter will be the second line center and Boychuk the fourth line center with Bowman on either the third or fourth line. Having these young guys reduces salary expenditure and would help bring a balance of development with established talent back to the team.