The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ynotagain

The next changes needed ...

Yes, winning solves most problems. But, the organization has put itself in a bad position. One of the requirements

to receive profit-sharing is that the attendance has to increase from year to year - and the 'Canes have missed more

benchmarks than the Iraqi government. The 'Canes - through their own poor judgement - are eschewing free money.

You can build a winning team - one capable of long playoff runs EVERY year - and do it for far less than the cap max

IF you put your priority on building from within - through good drafting. That hasn't been done.

Some would argue that this team has been built to win now. And that's where I have philosophical difference with JR

and 'Canes upper management. He looks at this team every year and apparently sees a Cup contender. He makes

minor adjustments and adds free agents like Jeff Hamilton and David Tanabe. Then buys them out less than a year

later. Nice job. I look at this same group and see a mish-mash of talented, but ultimately underperforming players -

not a team. Recent history is on my side ... they haven't won. They haven't drafted well. They haven't developed

a 'Canes system. A 'Canes philosophy and way of doing things. If this would happen, you can build a self-replenishing

system. Then, you can bring in complementary players and rotate out guys who have - thru salary, injury, or waning

ability - worked themselves out of the mix. You would win. You'd have a well-respected organization. For less money.

JR has gone halfway in every aspect. The team is not that fast, not that big, not that talented, not that cheap and, in

the end, not that successful. He consistently overpays and consistently signs questionable talent to long-term contracts.

It's OK to wrap up your core players with long-term deals, but NOT your complementary group. No non-core players

should be signed for more than two years. It kills your flexibility to develop the kind of system I mentioned above.

I AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE... WELL SAID!

With supposedly just about the loudest fans in the league, how come the Canes can't get over .500 at home. They have the fifth-worst home record in the league. Only Edmonton, Tampa Bay, Atlanta and the Islanders have worse home records. and look where they are in the standings.

you are right about that. i think they put all there eggs in one basket on staal becoming that star. as great as a player that staal he is not that star player that will put a team on that next level. The next problem is the self imposed salary cap. it is hard to bring in a star player if you are not willing to spend the money. they have a nice foundation of players, but like you said it is just not enough pieces to the puzzle.

If our 1st and 2nd lines had a young talented player like a Staal that would create energy and competition. This would make the team better and the competition would create the Star. Staal needs competition right now and I think last year that is what made the difference when Brindy was out due to injury. Its hard to be the star player when you have a veteran calling the shots and playing behind you. Sure it will make you better but it won't allow you to break lose and become the player you didn't know you could be. Having internal competition is what I'm suggesting.

If we were to look ahead to next season, under the assumption that the self-imposed salary cap will not increase by any significant amount, here is what we'll look like this offseason.

Players Under Contract ('09/'10 Cap Hit):

-Rod Brind'Amour ($3,600,000)

-Joseph Corvo ($2,625,000)

-Matt Cullen ($2,875,000)

-Patrick Eaves ($1,400,000)

-Tim Gleason ($2,750,000)

-Frantisek Kaberle ($2,200,000)

-Michael Leighton ($600,000)

-Joni Pitkanen ($4,000,000)

-Sergei Samsonov ($2,533,000)

-Eric Staal ($8,250,000)

-Brandon Sutter ($1,225,000)

-Scott Walker ($2,500,000)

-Niclas Wallin ($1,725,000)

-Cam Ward ($2,667,000)

-Ray Whitney ($3,550,000)

-Justin Williams ($3,500,000)

'09/'10 Season Total Cap Hit = $46 Million

Restricted Free Agents ('08/'09 Cap Hit):

-Anton Babchuk ($1,000,000)

-Casey Borer ($512,000)

-Brett Carson ($508,000)

-Patrick Dwyer ($500,000)

-Dwight Helminen ($475,000)

-Justin Peters ($32,000)

-Bryan Rodney ($530,000)

-Tuomo Ruutu ($2,250,000)

Unrestricted Free Agents ('08/'09 Cap Hit):

-Ryan Bayda ($475,000)

-Wade Brookbank ($475,000)

-Dan LaCouture ($475,000)

-Chad LaRose ($875,000)

-Josef Melichar ($1,000,000)

-Dennis Seidenberg ($1,200,000)

With the RFAs and UFAs removed from the current line-up, here is what is left:

Samsonov / Staal / -----

Whitney / Brind'Amour / Walker

----- / Cullen / Williams

----- / Sutter / Eaves

Gleason / Corvo

Pitkanen / -----

Kaberle / -----

Wallin

Ward

Leighton

I present the Caniac Nation with a scenario: With roughly $4 to $5 million to spend in the offseason, what REALISTIC moves would you make to improve the Carolina Hurricanes headed into the '09-'10 season?

Too early to tell. As solid as the team's been playing, it doesn't look like it'll be enough to sneak into the playoffs. And I would hope that by the trade deadline, the picture becomes a little clearer and JR pulls the trigger. In which case, perhaps some of that cap space will open up.

That said, I'd like us to re-sign Seidenberg, preferably for not much more than he's making now, though it's a long shot. Two Senator players, Chris Neil and Dean McAmmond, really interest me. Grabbing one or the other (Neil being the preferable one) would be a nice boost to that 3rd line.

Ruutu, I'm afraid, will ask too much and we'll have to let him go. Especially considering the trouble we had with him this past off-season.

Ruutu, I'm afraid, will ask too much and we'll have to let him go. Especially considering the trouble we had with him this past off-season.

Not trying to dispute what you're saying here, and I *hope* you're wrong, but fear that you could be right.

That being said, so exactly what trouble did we have with him in the off-season? He signed his QO well before free agency. Yeah, he only signed for a year, but so did Seidenberg. And the "official word" was that both parties were interested in something longer term but took the path of least resistance to lock up the deal.

I agree he's going to be expensive to re-sign, but it's not like we have his replacement waiting in the wings (pun intended).

So then who would you get to fill his role that's going to be any less expensive?

Like I said, depends on what happens during the trade deadline/off-season. There are a lot of viable options out there, but it's easy to assume that a lot of them would be re-signed by the team they're on now.

It is almost at the mid-point of the season and it is clear that, unless the Caps defect to the KHL, the Canes are not going to win the SE Division. Even making the playoffs as an 8th seed is a question mark. The team hasn't gelled and it seems there is no chemistry. For every step forward this team takes, they take two in the other direction.

There needs to be a back-up goalie that is more than an NHL journey-man. Defense is marginal at best as is the offense. If I knew what to do the Canes would be paying me rather than me paying them good money to watch an average team. If the Canes need to raise ticket prices next year b/c they failed again to meet revenue sharing guidelines, they can expect a sharp drop in STH sales.

Players Under Contract ('09/'10 Cap Hit):

-Ray Whitney ($3,550,000)

If he will wave his NTC I think we need to try to move him.

'09/'10 Season Total Cap Hit = $46 Million

Restricted Free Agents ('08/'09 Cap Hit):

-Casey Borer ($512,000)

-Brett Carson ($508,000)

-Justin Peters ($32,000)

-Bryan Rodney ($530,000)

-Tuomo Ruutu ($2,250,000)

I would like to keep all these guys if we can pull it off. Peters is supposed to be our goalie of the future. I'd like to hang on to him another 2 years. Then we can move him up as Cams backup or trade him. I can't remember but isnt this the year that Walins NTC is over? If so I would let him go as well. To free up room for Siedenberg and a young Dman like Borer/Rodney/Carson. Seids is really turning into a Defensive Defenseman.

Unrestricted Free Agents ('08/'09 Cap Hit):

-Ryan Bayda ($475,000)

-Dennis Seidenberg ($1,200,000)

Seidenberg is really coming into his own. If we can keep him for under $2.5 mill I think we need to hold on to him. He has had a bit of an injury problem the last two years but otherwise his best hockey seems in front of him. Bayda works hard and should be resigned for similar money. All the other RFA's I would let go.

With the RFAs and UFAs removed from the current line-up, here is what is left:

Samsonov / Staal / Ruutu

Williams / Cullen / Walker

Eaves / Brind'Amour / Bayda

Bowman / Sutter / Boychek

Gleason / Corvo

Pitkanen / Seidenburg

Kaberle / Borer/Carson/Rodney

Wallin

Ward

Leighton

Wow! That 4th line albiet green could be a real scoring 4th line. Bowman and Boychek on the same line! Don't wake me up..... YTD Bowman has 33 points in 30 games and Boychek has 26 in 21!!! I'd like to see both of these kids up on the big team next year rather in Albany where they would otherwise immediatly be the top skaters (Albany).

For every step forward this team takes, they take two in the other direction.

What do you base this remarkable statement?

PP is more efficient, the defense is tighter, the effort is more consistent, goal tending is up a notch. We are in the game even when we lose. The team as a whole does not take shifts off and the team spirit doesn't drop down after a goal.

When Wallin's contract is up I expect him to return to Sweden and play there. I think his family is still there and he has probably had his fill of this organization and the NHL (JR wanting him to waive his NTC and the negative press (won't mention all the message board dribble)). He can make almost as much money and be with his family. I for one will miss him.

I expect three of Whitney, Kaberle, Walker, Wallin, and Brind`amour to be gone. I can only wish they would all be gone.

Little bit bold of a statement. Whitney is playing great (almost our only point production right now).. and Brind'Amour seems to be coming around. Walker as of late has had a lot of step on the ice, though, not scoring goals he is still contributing with a sense of energy on the bench (especially during the Minnesota game). Kabs will still be trade bait though, couldn't agree more with you about him. Wallin is in no way an ALL-STAR player, so I don't even know why they came up with that voting scam. He'll be gone too.. I HOPE! Well, later.. GO 'CANES!!!

Ruutu is likely the best possible trade piece that the team has now (although it pains me to say that) due to his contract status and play this season. If the Canes want to shake things up, how about moving Ruutu and Leighton to Nashville for Ellis, Balek, and a contract like Zanon to even out this years numbers. Ruutu might get the Preds in the playoffs again with his energy. I include Balek because the Canes are going to need some grit next year when I anticipate having Boychuk and Bowman playing on our third and fourth lines. Cullen and Seids might be packaged for a first line winger. Anaheim comes to mind as a team that could use depth at Center and defense. Whitney and Kaberle could be packaged to a team interested in Cup vets and a bit of offensive creativity, maybe Vancouver would want them to go along with Sundin for a deep playoff run. Intelligent trades this year may really help to set the team up for next season.

I gotta say I'm scratching my head over people wanting Whitney gone. The guy isa bargan for what we pay him, and puts up consistent numbers. He has a pretty good one-timer, and obviously has good vision on the ice.

No he doesn't hit, or is the most sound defensive forward, but he does score big goals, and that's what he's here for, to help produce offensively. He has been fine this year, I think Canes fans get a little spoiled with him, he's not an all-star player, that's why we don't pay him like one....also we gotta consider the fact that he's been playing with Rod for a long time now, which definitely ain't gonna help get you points on a regular basis.

Whitney is a very underrated player, and as long as he can keep up and skate, I hope he retires with this team. He has been awesome since he got here. That guy must not be traded unless we plan on rebuilding and selling all our players over the age of 32,lol.

There's nothing against Whitney. Just like there was nothing against Cole. They just happen to be the player that we can afford to lose and still have a reasonable trade value.

And yes, Whitney's age is a factor. He's 36. He's producing, but I'd rather get something for him rather than have him retire and get nothing for him.

I gotta say I'm scratching my head over people wanting Whitney gone. The guy isa bargan for what we pay him, and puts up consistent numbers. He has a pretty good one-timer, and obviously has good vision on the ice.

No he doesn't hit, or is the most sound defensive forward, but he does score big goals, and that's what he's here for, to help produce offensively. He has been fine this year, I think Canes fans get a little spoiled with him, he's not an all-star player, that's why we don't pay him like one....also we gotta consider the fact that he's been playing with Rod for a long time now, which definitely ain't gonna help get you points on a regular basis.

Whitney is a very underrated player, and as long as he can keep up and skate, I hope he retires with this team. He has been awesome since he got here. That guy must not be traded unless we plan on rebuilding and selling all our players over the age of 32,lol.

Whitney could be the Cup experienced older guy who adds some scoring and playoff know-how for a team. His contract is large enough that the Canes could get a top 4 defenseman for him. He may also offer enough to another team that we can throw in a guy like Kaberle with him and help the Canes move forward. It's not about wanting Whitney gone, it's about the need to let go of quality players that will interest other teams to bring quality pieces back that will get the Canes out out their present rut one way or another. I expect that teams will be more interested in Whitney than Brindy at this point.

I don't "want" him gone. I merely think if we are not in the playoff hunt it may be a good time to ship him to a team that needs reliable scoring from a winger.

Bowman and Boychek are our future in my opnion clearing Ray's salary from our books may make keeping Ruutu easier and give room for one of these 2 young men to roll on the 3rd line all the time. Ray would be very much in demand by a team in the playoff hunt with his experience. Ray is a very good scoring winger whom is one of my favorites. That said, he is a defensive liability and has been turning over the puck with increasing frequency this year. His best days may be behind him. :huh:

I don't "want" him gone. I merely think if we are not in the playoff hunt it may be a good time to ship him to a team that needs reliable scoring from a winger.

Bowman and Boychek are our future in my opnion clearing Ray's salary from our books may make keeping Ruutu easier and give room for one of these 2 young men to roll on the 3rd line all the time. Ray would be very much in demand by a team in the playoff hunt with his experience. Ray is a very good scoring winger whom is one of my favorites. That said, he is a defensive liability and has been turning over the puck with increasing frequency this year. His best days may be behind him. :huh:

Umm...canes are in the playoff hunt, and it is important for them to make the playoffs this year. I do not understand why we would deal him unless we are rebuilding, and I wouldn't say his best days are behind him when he's leading the team in scoring., and his career-high in points was with the Canes 2 years ago.

If we drop out of the playoff picture, we will have no choice but wholesale changes. That would include moving a few veterans such as Whitney and if possible Brind'Amour and Kaberle, maybe even Walker and others. JR will establish a core of young talent and then move most of the rest. If it comes to this, hopefully we do it fairly early to get a good draft pick and be done with it.

However, we are not yet at that point. It is too early to abandon this season. The team has been playing better and IF Brind'Amour is really coming around (I'm not convinced), then we are a playoff team. We do however, have a bit of trouble putting the puck in the net. No matter how beautifully we skate, at some point someone needs to put the puck on the other side of the goalie. Whitney is our best sniper, our top point producer, and the only thing that has made our second line even passable.

So, trading Whitney makes great sense if when and if it is time to throw in towel on this season, but makes no sense before that.

EDIT: JayCane, I was typing at the same time, but I am more longwinded. Great minds think alike!

If we drop out of the playoff picture, we will have no choice but wholesale changes. That would include moving a few veterans such as Whitney and if possible Brind'Amour and Kaberle, maybe even Walker and others. JR will establish a core of young talent and then move most of the rest. If it comes to this, hopefully we do it fairly early to get a good draft pick and be done with it.

Agreed hence the meaning of my post.

I think we are a playoff team if JWillie and our Captain can get back up to speed. However, after 2 previous years of no playoffs in a weak division (except the Caps last year) nothing else can or should occur but a hard turn to new (and younger) players. Like I said, I like Ray Whitney and I liked Erik Cole also. We only have a few players worthy of trades and Whitney is one and if we don't make the playoffs he needs to be moved.

As for scoring, we've not had any consistent traffic in front of the net until the coaching change and even though we've not scored a lot more lately, our quality chances are increasing considerably. I for one had grown weary of 7 slapshots from the blue line a game with no one in front of the net, or heading down the slot.

So, trading Whitney makes great sense if when and if it is time to throw in towel on this season, but makes no sense before that.

When does this occur? Or, is this question a topic for another thread? Do the Canes make changes for a playoff run? Do they realize the chances for a deep playoff run are nil and start building for the future?