The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ynotagain

The next changes needed ...

I think we have a lot of really good 2nd and 3rd line wingers. I think the place we are lacking is a top flight winger to flank Staal. I still think the Cole trade was okay because I didn't think he was going to merit the contract he was going to seek. That being said, I don't see J.R. trading away a young player for a seasoned winger this season.

The next changes needed is for us the "Fans" to get behind the Team/Coaches and start to cheer and make some noise @ the games. The last games that i have been to were so quiet it was unbelieveable. We are nowhere near where we were a few years back which makes us all look like fairweather fans. I know there hasn't been alot to cheer about lately but come on people show your support and make some freakin noise when you go to a game. :o:o

The next changes needed is for us the "Fans" to get behind the Team/Coaches and start to cheer and make some noise @ the games. The last games that i have been to were so quiet it was unbelieveable. We are nowhere near where we were a few years back which makes us all look like fairweather fans. I know there hasn't been alot to cheer about lately but come on people show your support and make some freakin noise when you go to a game. :o:o

Good post and I agree 100%. One of the things I liked about moving here was the dedication to the team the fans showed. Our home crowd needs to be more like the home crowd that Brett Hull was so impressed with in 2002.

Watching the adjustments that Mo has made and from some hints by management, I think that the Canes are looking to add a top defenseman if someone is available. I like both Shea Weber and Ryan Suter from Nashville. Weber is probably untouchable, but I wonder about getting Suter. The Preds need offense, maybe a Cullen and LaRose (or Eaves) package for one of their top two defensemen. They have a top prospect, Fransen, who they could call up for D. For the Canes, we have Helminen and Dwyer to fill holes for this year and then next season will have Boychuk and Bowman. This type of move would fit with the direction of the Canes at this time and for the future.

Watching the adjustments that Mo has made and from some hints by management, I think that the Canes are looking to add a top defenseman if someone is available. I like both Shea Weber and Ryan Suter from Nashville. Weber is probably untouchable, but I wonder about getting Suter. The Preds need offense, maybe a Cullen and LaRose (or Eaves) package for one of their top two defensemen. They have a top prospect, Fransen, who they could call up for D. For the Canes, we have Helminen and Dwyer to fill holes for this year and then next season will have Boychuk and Bowman. This type of move would fit with the direction of the Canes at this time and for the future.

please do not touch the 2nd or third lines(cullen, larose) right now. they seem to be the main reason behind our success of late

I am suspicious that their ice time is a bit of trade bait. I'm not disagreeing that they have been playing great for the Canes, just looking at the business of hockey. If JR brings in a top defenseman our top 4 D would be very solid (moving Seids to 5 in depth). This team will be tough for the rest of this season then, but could be great next season with incoming offense. Also, a move for defense is likely to be less costly than an offensive move.

You guys really are making my head hurt reading your comments. Although yes i did skip threw a few. But getting rid of brindy, Staal and ward? Who the hell would we trade them for? Honestly brindy has like maybe 2 years left, and its just not scoring like he should, It happens...Look at crosby right now, heatly, kopitar, alfredson. ( Sorry for trashing there names) but there suppose to be good to right? Trade staal? Are you kidding? are you high? are you just that stupid....I honestly think its a combo of all three. we are the most undrated team in the nhl. and who do you plan on getting for ward? unless your talking about the top three, that we would never get anyway, i really don't honestly see who we could get worth a damn to replace those players. Gaborik is glass just as much as williams, so no. What we need Is motivation, and to move conboy and bayda up. trading no, we need no more trades, maybe larose, or Kaberle, but those are the only two i could see us trading.

And staal backs checks more than anyone on the team. try watching a game, Im glad you guys dont run this team. Trading Staal would kill the Carolina franchise.

(( you guys should play 180 mintues of hockey a week on a NHL level, 7-8 months out of the year, you get tired and your work ethic is hurt by it, they are not gods.))

JR your doing fine, Light a fire up under these boys, and we are good to go.

I am suspicious that their ice time is a bit of trade bait. I'm not disagreeing that they have been playing great for the Canes, just looking at the business of hockey. If JR brings in a top defenseman our top 4 D would be very solid (moving Seids to 5 in depth). This team will be tough for the rest of this season then, but could be great next season with incoming offense. Also, a move for defense is likely to be less costly than an offensive move.

Im not trying to pick on ya here...I think we have the D JR was looking for...

Ever since the 06'/07'season everyone was screaming for a offensive defenseman. so we trade commy for corvo. IMO a great move. Then we trade Cole for Pits. Not a bad move either. I miss what cole brought this team but we needed another blue liner and once again...one that could handle the puck. He can do that. We bring Babs back and if there was anyone that would second guess Babs ability...IT WAS ME. I cant say that now. He is doing his job and quite well at that. Seidenberg is playing very smart right now. He has exceeded what i have expected of him this year. throw in a little grit with Gleason and size with Wallin and I think we got onehellofva D. If they can maintain their current level of play and if Cam can stay hot. I think we have something here. :)

Im not trying to pick on ya here...I think we have the D JR was looking for...

Ever since the 06'/07'season everyone was screaming for a offensive defenseman. so we trade commy for corvo. IMO a great move. Then we trade Cole for Pits. Not a bad move either. I miss what cole brought this team but we needed another blue liner and once again...one that could handle the puck. He can do that. We bring Babs back and if there was anyone that would second guess Babs ability...IT WAS ME. I cant say that now. He is doing his job and quite well at that. Seidenberg is playing very smart right now. He has exceeded what i have expected of him this year. throw in a little grit with Gleason and size with Wallin and I think we got onehellofva D. If they can maintain their current level of play and if Cam can stay hot. I think we have something here. :)

I think jR has done a great job rebuilding the defense corps over the years. It's the offense, and its inconsistencies, that I have issues, the main problem right now is the 2nd line center position, which won't be dealt with it seems at least until the offseason (unless Rod somehow magically turns around his season).

I think jR has done a great job rebuilding the defense corps over the years. It's the offense, and its inconsistencies, that I have issues, the main problem right now is the 2nd line center position, which won't be dealt with it seems at least until the offseason (unless Rod somehow magically turns around his season).

i agree with that. i was just saying i think the D is fine as is. i might eat this later, but something tells me there is still a little magic left in the nose of #17. I hope he finds it. we had a healthy lineup tonight. this is good stuff...we havent been able to say that for a loooooooooooong time! :)

Let's not forget a need to shed Kaberle. that will free up $2.2 and I could see Brindy retiring if his play doesn't meet "his" standards which will free up $3mil.

I don't think that place in the standings is going to make a big impact on JRs moves this year, other than to work to solidify a playoff spot, and Mo and staff have the team on its way. On the other hand, I don't think that he sees the team as a true deep playoff (ECF or Cup) contender this year. But, next year could be different with continued momentum from growth this season and the right mix of vets and youth on the team. I don't see JR spending on a power forward or on a true shutdown defenseman, although I would love to see us get either or both of those. I also don't see JR doing nothing this year, mostly because I think that since making the coaching decision/change he has had his eye on having a team that pulls it together this year to then be prepared to play into May/June next season.

So, if the team needs some improvements looking toward next season without sacrificing this year and within the team's salary constraints, the position at which it makes the most sense to me to upgrade is a top pairing defensive defenseman. Seids is good and is a 4-5 guy on most depth charts, but if Gleason can be moved to 2nd pairing and replaced on the top pair, our defense could be great. With Seids being UFA, I cannot see JR giving him $2.5+ which he can probably get elsewhere.

On Brindy, a. I don't think he is tradeable and b. I suspect that he is being given this entire season to recoup and then be fully healthy next season. As a vet leader on a young, talented team, with his faceoff ability, he could be very useful next year, especially if he plays equal minutes with Sutter rather than the most of any fwd.

This season, Cullen and LaRose make $3.7 combined. A high-quality defenseman can be gotten in this range, Suter as an example makes $3.5. Cullen and LaRose are expendable looking to next season because Boychuk is likely to center the 4th line and Bowman play LW on the third. Sutter gets the bump to third for the rest of this season and next, unless Brindy is moved down. LaRose is easier to trade than Eaves due to salary and contract length.

Offseason priorities will need to be 1. Resigning Ruutu. I'm going to estimate him at $3.6/yr to resign. If real efforts are not going to be made to resign Ruutu, then he must be traded this season for the long term good of the team. 2. Extend Cam Ward. The team does not want to be in a position of trying to pay him what he will be able to get on the open market in 2010.

On numbers for next season, I hope (just conjecture) that ownership can allow some flexibility in the self-imposed cap due to the bad contract to Kabs and the huge hit from the Staal contract. I would hope they allow for $54 mil for the team. With Cullen removed, the cap hit for players in place for 2010 is $43.467. Signing Ruutu at $3.6, adding Suter (for example) at $3.5, bringing back Babchuk at $1.4, bringing up Bowman at $.825 (couldn't find exact #), and then filling out the fourth line and healthy scratch for $600 or so each. For the 4th line fwd, I'd like to see a physical guy with more skill than Brookbank brought in to help in protecting the young guys who would be in place. Bayda could be brought back and switched in and out with the new 4th liner.

What this would set up to be (parenthesis around guys not in the $43.467 already set for next season) for 09-10:

Samsonov/Staal/(Ruutu $3.6)

Whitney/Brind'Amour/Williams

(Bowman $.825)/Sutter/Walker

Eaves/Boychuk/(physical with some skill guy; ex: Belak to stick with my Preds theme $650)

Pitkanen/(trade guy; ex: Suter $3.5)

Corvo/Gleason

Wallin/(Babchuk $1.4)

Ward

Leighton

scratches: Kaberle and (Bayda $550)

This would set up well for next season with flexibility to trade contracts such as Whitney, Corvo, or Walker (and of course maybe dumping Kaberle's contract in his last year) during the season to shore things up for a deep playoff run. Also, gives flexibility under the cap to bring in more expensive players if the team chose to do so for the playoff run.

you may want to factor in the cap only rising $1-2 mil next season and the possibility of a decrease the following (as discussed by the board of governors in December). We may have less money to play with next season and even less after that. Also need to see how the numbers pan out after this season, if PK lost money or lost lots then some things may change dollar wise.

Hm, first, in mentioning Ruutu being a trade bait...somehow I gotta agree, surely he could be the one to get something for, but on the other hand...I'm not sure if JR is goin' to do that, he's the only one right now filling the space that Colesy left on Staals side, in his own way. I really like our first line, and I'm sure Mo and JR do so as well, and I think they'll try to keep it, especially looking at Ruutu as a still young and promising player. In addition, don't underestimate Pitkanen and Ruutu being friends, I think they like to play with each other, and that's some chemistry, on the ice and in the locker room, that you can't simply buy with money. I really think that if there's any possibility we should keep Ruutu.

Whitney...hmmm. Seriously, I think he's too old to get to a trade value where JR could get someone of a similar value...there isn't usually a team that desperate to give up someone big for a then 37 old guy that's likely to retire within the next 1-3 years. I think Brindy and Whitney both will end their careers in Raleigh sooner or later, and I'm fine with that.

In case of looking through the team for someone that could be given away reasonable...one guy i could come to maybe Sammy. If he's goin for a good season, he could get back a lot of his former trade value. Being 31, he still isn't to old in the next season, and I think he isn't that much important for the chemistry of the Staals line as Ruutu. He could be involved in a trade I think, even though I wouldn't like to see him go.

Next one I could come up with is Cullen. Cullen is a good player, and surely has a good trade value. Having a look to the system, we got some promising centers in the tube, Sutter and Boychuk are two young guys that I can see playing in the top 9 in 09/10, so even if Brindy decides to retire, there would be one too much center (considering Sutter not to play on the 4th line again next season), so Cullen is one guy that could be spared.

And then, I can see Wallin and Kaberle playing their last season with the canes right now. There are just too much great young guys with the rats, and Babchuk turns out really well right now, especially on the offensive side of the game, so with 3 good offensive Ds (Corvo, Pitkanan, Babhuck) there isn't any space left for Kaberle. In addtion...isn't Rodney an offensive oriented D, too?

As for Wallin...he's playin' a good season, and he still isn't too old. But, in case of being in a smooth rebuild of the team, I think it's simply a better choice to go for the young guns next year, not to mention that Wallins trade value could be pretty good by the time.

In lines...I can't make myself a worthful picture, I'm sure there will be the one or another addition to the roster. But, what I'm sure about, is that Staal, Sutter and Boychuk will be our top 3 centers next year.

Where the 'Canes are in the standings on deadline day will play a major role in whether they are buyers or sellers.

I am curious as to what portions of the team you think are building for next year. This is a veteran team, after all.

If you decide to keep guys like Whitney, Walker, and Wallin you have effectively pigeonholed yourself into a win-

now mentality because of their age and contract length. The shelf life of a Stanley Cup contender is short, as we've

discovered. Unless there's a reasonable chance of a deep playoff run, the '09 deadline may be the time to move.

When I say JR will do nothing, I meant nothing major. I don't consider dumping the salary of a pending RFA depth

d-man like Babchuk for a draft choice as a major move. So, no. I don't expect JR to make any kind of a big move.

That won't be the case for some other teams. Take a divisional foe like Florida, for instance. Bouwmeester is not

going to finish the year there. They need 2 top-6 scorers to be more competitive - and possibly bump the 'Canes

out of a playoff spot. Someone will make that offer. My guess is Philadelphia for Lupul, Upshall and a draft choice.

It would be prudent to wait and see how Cam Ward handles a heavy workload before you'd offer any extension.

He hasn't proven himself yet in that regard to a lot of people's satisfaction.

Suter is a pretty good defenseman, but Nashville is center-heavy with Arnott, Legwand and Bonk. They may not

be all that keen on either Cullen or LaRose. If you want Suter, at the very least it would probably cost you Ruutu

plus a #1 for Suter and a #2.

Currently, 16 players are under contract for next season for $46m. Generally, when you spend that kind of money

you'd like to see better results. Even if the 'Canes would spend the cap max, it could be better spent than it is now.

I know many are giddy over the winning streak, but a good argument can be made that they've played poorly in a

couple of wins. I don't think New Jersey or Carolina brought their A game. The St. Louis game was kinda ugly, and

the fact remains Carolina can be considered more of a fringe playoff team than a true Cup contending team.

Granted, the 'Canes need a true power forward and a shutdown d-man. The best way to do that is to develop your

own. Failing that, trading a skilled winger - like Williams or Whitney - will be necessary. You can only make one or

two deals to achieve your goals. Most teams are as interested in cap hits and contract length as they are in the guys

they are acquiring and it makes it difficult to trade. I think the 'Canes should keep all of their options open to trade.

Matching money is the most important factor in trades for teams this season. If the opportunity presented itself to trade a veteran for prospects who could be in our system next season, that is what I would most like to see. However, I do not see that opportunity being there due to cap match needs in a trade. My interest is not specifically in Suter, but that role on the team, that is where I could see JR making a move to improve this year. I know that the Preds have a D prospect they could bring up and they need offense which Cullen would increase compared to Bonk this year. I consider a trade of $4 mil on each side a big move, not major but also not small, and this is the range where I see a move being made this season. If JR could get Burns from MN, I personally think he'd be kind of ideal in this $ range, but I doubt he's available although MN might want Cullen and LaRose. This year, Cullen is the obvious move because next year there is not room on the team for him. Then, expiring contracts can be more easily moved. As I stated before, if JR is not going to make every effort to bring back Ruutu, then at a minimum he has to trade him for key prospects and not just let him walk. I want to keep him and expect so do the coaches and players, but JR knows what he will or will not do with Ruutu and needs to make the right decision for the future based on that.

This season does not set up great for the Canes to make moves of great consequence. Building D throughout by making a move at the top is what I can see happening. Next season, what I see initially is building and development of youth who will also contribute on the lower lines with Bowman and Boychuk. Then, next season Whitney, Walker, Wallin, Corvo, and Kabs are all in final years. Teams would be more likely to trade for one of them in a final year. Williams will be more tradeable as he will not be just coming off of two major injuries.

I think that JR wants to give this coaching staff enough time to see what they can do with the core player mix that they have now and that means giving them a training camp and time next year. Then, this time next season will be bigger decision time on the team. If they continue on the path that they've begun, they could be serious contenders and JR gets a final hurrah with the core 06 Cup vets. If they falter, major moves are made to bolster the system. Also, if Mo or Francis sees a particular need on the ice, JR will listen to that next year.

On Cam, I had in my head that he would be UFA 2010, but he will be RFA, so there is much less risk in not extending him than I was thinking. But, a proven top 15 Goalie who has won the Conn Smythe should not be take for granted in my view.

Kabs and Wallin still have another full seasons worth on their contracts so they will both be here next season. Wallin has a NTC and will not waive it but when this contract is up the he is home to Sweden. Kabs might be traded but we will have to really sweeten the deal for another team to take him.

Kabs and Wallin still have another full seasons worth on their contracts so they will both be here next season. Wallin has a NTC and will not waive it but when this contract is up the he is home to Sweden. Kabs might be traded but we will have to really sweeten the deal for another team to take him.

Yep, Kabs isn't going anywhere with that contract and the league knows that for the Canes he would be addition by subtraction - not good. Wallin is a decent value for his play with his contract and next year he might be willing to waive his NTC near the trade deadline for the benefit of the Canes when he would only have a few months left in the US, stranger things have happened. However, he should not be the first player dangled as trade bait.

Next year (season), i want to see something like that (for example)

Cam Ward

[ veteran goaltender or Justin Peters, bud i'd prefer veteran goalie]

Defense Pairing

Tim Gleason Joe Corvo

Ryan Suter Dennis Seidenberg

Jordan Leopold Anton Babchuk

add's - Brett Carson, Bryan Rodney and Casey Borer

If i could choose, i'd get Suter/ McLaren or John-Michael Liles. Jordan Leopold is UFa and 1,500, 000 $.

Forwards

Sergei Samsonov Eric Staal Jason Pominville

Ray Whitney Nikolai Antropov Justin Williams

Mike York Rod Brind'amour Chad LaRose

Patrick Eaves Brandon Sutter Scott Walker

add's - Patrick Dwyer, Zach Boychuck, Drayson Bowman, Dwight Helminen

I'm not sure Ruutu stay in 'canes, therefore want to see here Jason Pominville (trade?) - very good and underrated player.

IMO, Sutter, Bouchuck and Bowman don't ready for 2rd, 3rd line, so Nik Antropov is best choose for center. Mike York is UFa (not a bad player with expierence).

Mike York's career is over he's in the AHL after a dismal stint with Phoenix and cant make Columbus's roster. I mean if you can't make Columbus's team as a NHL vet, it's as good as over.

As for the rest, how do you see them getting here?

Suter? nashville isn't handing him over.

Pominville is going to require more then then just Ruutu whose just recently shown promise whereas you know Pominville is good and what he's going to do. That and I wouldn't be surprised if he's due a contract soon and thats going to cost money money which we dont have.

Why do we need Antropov if we got Cullen?

Next year (season), i want to see something like that (for example)

Cam Ward

[ veteran goaltender or Justin Peters, bud i'd prefer veteran goalie]

Defense Pairing

Tim Gleason Joe Corvo

Ryan Suter Dennis Seidenberg

Jordan Leopold Anton Babchuk

add's - Brett Carson, Bryan Rodney and Casey Borer

If i could choose, i'd get Suter/ McLaren or John-Michael Liles. Jordan Leopold is UFa and 1,500, 000 $.

Forwards

Sergei Samsonov Eric Staal Jason Pominville

Ray Whitney Nikolai Antropov Justin Williams

Mike York Rod Brind'amour Chad LaRose

Patrick Eaves Brandon Sutter Scott Walker

add's - Patrick Dwyer, Zach Boychuck, Drayson Bowman, Dwight Helminen

I'm not sure Ruutu stay in 'canes, therefore want to see here Jason Pominville (trade?) - very good and underrated player.

IMO, Sutter, Bouchuck and Bowman don't ready for 2rd, 3rd line, so Nik Antropov is best choose for center. Mike York is UFa (not a bad player with expierence).

I respect your opinon, but instead of arguing with you I will just say, WHAT?

There's a lot to be said for his patience and prudence. Most of the time. In my opinion, this isn't one of those times. A lot

has to do with our main competition for making the playoffs - Florida and Buffalo. As I mentioned earlier, Florida WILL trade

Bouwmeester - and they WILL get the two top-6 forwards that's keeping their popgun offense in a state of hibernation. The

Sabres are simply a fundamentally better team than the 'Canes in all 3 zones. With the current roster, the Hurricanes could

be nothing more than first-round fodder for some of conference's better teams. I expect ... more.

I agree with you on Fl, Buffalo, and the Canes...and expect more as well. In 06 I thought the team had dynasty potential if managed well and this is what we've got now? While we may be first round fodder in this year's playoffs, it is important for this franchise to make them and mgmt will make a move or two to attempt to accomplish that.

Contractually next year sets up better for moving guys, but if the Gleason injury is serious and the Canes begin to fade, I could see JR looking to move a Whitney or Walker this year if he could get quality prospects in return. However, I still think that is unlikely to happen.

Can someone tell me why we are hanging on to Patrick Eaves?

You have to remember that there has to be someone else wanting him for a trade to take place. If we have a player we are wanting to dump there has to be a taker either by way of trade, waivers, or re-entry waivers.