The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
katy

Carolina has placed Frantisek Kaberle on waivers. - TSN

Hmmm....now that's an interesting one.

Indeed.

This was a very big surprise to me when i've heard Frankie is waived.

Desperate move by JR trying to dump salary after realizing trade isn't possible at the present situation.

I don't believe anyone will pick him up. Lots of players with arguably better potential went on waivers this year and nobody was picked up.

Canes place Kaberle on waivers

Submitted by chipalexander on 12/29/2008 - 14:28

Tags: Lord Stanley's Blog | Frantisek Kaberle

Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford confirmed today that the team has placed defenseman Frantisek Kaberle on waivers.

Kaberle, 35, is in his fourth season with the Canes and has missed 24 games because of injuries. He scored the winning goal in the seventh game of the 2006 Stanley Cup final against the Edmonton Oilers.

"It's always tough to break ties with someone," Rutherford said. "He was a big part of the Cup run and scored the big goal.

"But at some point, it's a part of our business that you have to cut ties. The first half of the season we talked about cutting our defense. We're getting to the point our defense is healthier, and we've had guys come in from Albany and do a good job as depth guys."

Kaberle has a $2.2 million salary with the Canes, and the decision to put him on waivers is cost-saving move.

"We decided to move a contract and to give him a chance with someone else," Rutherford said. "If he clears waivers, he'll still be a part of our team."

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/canes-...erle-on-waivers

Perhaps something's worked out with the re-entry waivers. Surely a GM will pick him up if Carolina's paying half his salary, right?

Hard to believe Karmanos would agree to pay another 1.1mil this and entire next season, especially, when he already wasting money on Melichar, Hamilton and Tanabe.

It just doesn't sound like PK would do something like that.

Good old Chip. Getting the info up a good 2 hours after TSN/Leafs Lunch.

Better to wait for Paul Branecky to get something posted because then it comes straight from the horses mouth. Im sure he'll have something posted when all the info gets sorted out.

Better to wait for Paul Branecky to get something posted because then it comes straight from the horses mouth. Im sure he'll have something posted when all the info gets sorted out.

Chip provided direct quotes from JR. If that wasn't the horses mouth than i don't know what is. :rolleyes:

Chip provided direct quotes from JR. If that wasn't the horses mouth than i don't know what is. :rolleyes:

Well sorry. All I saw was the complaint about Chip getting scooped by TSN, not Chip's post itself. I'll do better next time.

I can see where may be JR found what he thought was a good trade and Frank didn't want to waive his no trade clause possibly. Could that have made him mad enough to place him on waivers?

If he makes it through does he go down to Albany?

I can see where may be JR found what he thought was a good trade and Frank didn't want to waive his no trade clause possibly. Could that have made him mad enough to place him on waivers?

If he makes it through does he go down to Albany?

I dont think Frank has a no trade. Only players I know are Wallin, Walker and Whitney.

If a team out there is desparate for defensive help, they'll scoop him up and it won't come to re-entry waivers. Part of that deal isn't only claiming him, but keeping your competition from claiming him. With what d-men in the league are making, Frank's salary is not bad. Remember, Commodore signed for 3 mil a year.

If a team out there is desparate for defensive help, they'll scoop him up and it won't come to re-entry waivers. Part of that deal isn't only claiming him, but keeping your competition from claiming him. With what d-men in the league are making, Frank's salary is not bad. Remember, Commodore signed for 3 mil a year.

3.75 a year actually.

I remember Ottawa had "interest in him" over the offseason, and Volchenckov(sp?) and Kuba are injured so you never know.

A player I definitely thought should be waived last year...but i think he's playing better than last year, doesn't mean he's been good but I'd take him over Melichar and babchuck.

A player I definitely thought should be waived last year...but i think he's playing better than last year, doesn't mean he's been good but I'd take him over Melichar and babchuck.

Absolutely agree. I can't say that I really like the move.

Agree JayCane. Babchuck and Melichar are $2MM together and are much worse than Kaberle. Don't get me wrong, Kaberle is nothing special either. But if you gotta pick from the bottom of the barrel, I would take Kaberle before the other two.