The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
katy

Carolina has placed Frantisek Kaberle on waivers. - TSN

Agree JayCane. Babchuck and Melichar are $2MM together and are much worse than Kaberle. Don't get me wrong, Kaberle is nothing special either. But if you gotta pick from the bottom of the barrel, I would take Kaberle before the other two.

Disagree.

I think one thing we can agree upon is that team is pretty average this year and Kaberle is definitely not a difference maker. In a year or two Babchuk has a chance and likely will be much much better than Kaberle ever was. Frank's days are already behind him.

So, if you look at the team future as I and JR do, you'll see that Babchuk's potential is way higher.

Disagree.

I think one thing we can agree upon is that team is pretty average this year and Kaberle is definitely not a difference maker. In a year or two Babchuk has a chance and likely will be much much better than Kaberle ever was. Frank's days are already behind him.

So, if you look at the team future as I and JR do, you'll see that Babchuk's potential is way higher.

This is probably true, but I just cannot help but watch Babchuck and think to myself "what the hell is he doing with the puck?" lol. Just looks like a damn robot handling the puck.

Disagree.

At best, Babchuck has the potential to be a very mediocre defenseman. He does not play positional hockey well, he is slow and he does not seem to have good vision of what is developing on the ice. Plus, he is not at all physical which this team desparetly needs. Not that Kaberle is much better at any of these skills.

So I revert to my earlier statement. If JR is going to stick with mediocre players, I would rather have Kaberle.

Sorry, Babchuk is much, much better than Kaberle. Even with Kaberle's improved play, he's still worse than Babchuk with the way Babs has played lately. There's a reason he's gotten more icetime than Kaberle in the last 5-6 games.

And as already stated, potential means something. A 35-year old or a 24-year old? A 3rd round pick, or a 1st round pick?

Kabs has been playing decent when he hasn't been hurt, and for now I think he's a better option than Babchuk. That said, I recognize that Babs has a potential upside longer term, and he would be in the press box and not on the ice where he could be evaluated and hopefully learn (a lot, fast).

Personally, I hope he doesn't clear, which if I understood JR's quote, would mean he would not be reassigned but would stay with the team, therefore negating re-entry waivers as an option. But I also think JR wouldn't waive him unless he knew he had a taker, or at least I hope so for Frank's sake.

I'm with those who think Kab's was playing better this year but not consistently. The time to make a move is when a player is playing better. I think another team will pick him up. We make it known to Babchuk he is our guy and build his confidence. If it doesn't work out we have D men in Albany.

If I understand correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong) we pay half of Kaberle's salary but would save 1 million and some change. If we are looking to add another winger or center through trade but are a little short in funds. You use the 1 million along with the trade to help pay the salary for the winger or center you want. What do you think?

I'm with those who think Kab's was playing better this year but not consistently. The time to make a move is when a player is playing better. I think another team will pick him up. We make it known to Babchuk he is our guy and build his confidence. If it doesn't work out we have D men in Albany.

If I understand correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong) we pay half of Kaberle's salary but would save 1 million and some change. If we are looking to add another winger or center through trade but are a little short in funds. You use the 1 million along with the trade to help pay the salary for the winger or center you want. What do you think?

I think you are on to it here. This may be the first move of a couple. Clear some salary. I'm sure JR tried to trade Kabs but couldn't get much of anything for him with his full salary on the table.

Melichar is probably mostly done. He already cleared waivers. If we need help from the AHL it will be Carson.

This does intrigue. What is next?

If I understand correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong) we pay half of Kaberle's salary but would save 1 million and some change.

If claimed off waivers the other team takes the full cap hit. Re-entry waivers would be 50/50, but like I said above, I don't think that would be an option here, based on what JR said.

I think you are on to it here. This may be the first move of a couple. Clear some salary. I'm sure JR tried to trade Kabs but couldn't get much of anything for him with his full salary on the table.

Melichar is probably mostly done. He already cleared waivers. If we need help from the AHL it will be Carson.

Carson is who I thought of if needed. Of course we could just be giving Kabs a chance to get picked up by a team he

can get more ice time while we save some money. But it is interesting. If history is an indicator JR doesn't let the ice melt under his feet and I expect another move. In any event stay or go I wish only the best for Kaberle. I would rather see him in the NHL even with another team.

Carson is who I thought of if needed. Of course we could just be giving Kabs a chance to get picked up by a team he

can get more ice time while we save some money. But it is interesting. If history is an indicator JR doesn't let the ice melt under his feet and I expect another move. In any event stay or go I wish only the best for Kaberle. I would rather see him in the NHL even with another team.

If claimed off waivers the other team takes the full cap hit. Re-entry waivers would be 50/50, but like I said above, I don't think that would be an option here, based on what JR said.

Thanks for the correction. I guess we would have even more then 1.m to use if he is picked up.

Thanks for the correction. I guess we would have even more then 1.m to use if he is picked up.

A player I definitely thought should be waived last year...but i think he's playing better than last year, doesn't mean he's been good but I'd take him over Melichar and babchuck.

Totally agree JayCane. This move baffles me. Frank was off to his best play in 2 seasons before he broke his foot.

With Joni, Corvo, and Frank we had 3 puck moving Dmen that could be used on the PP. However with Seids gaining PP time maybe it made Frank expendable.

Our "Defensive" BlueLiners:

Gleason

Wallin (Overtime secret weapon of course)

Seids (panning out to be anyway)

Passing Puck Movers:

Joni

Corvo

Seids?

So where does that put Anton? Guess we will find out.

Okay so just call me an idiot :huh:

May be I was mistaking him for Wallin?

I wouldnt call you an idiot, lol. Its obvious that your last name has to start with a W to get a no-trade from JR.

So if he clears do they intend on sending him down here to Albany?

JR said "We decided to move a contract and to give him a chance with someone else," Rutherford said. "If he clears waivers, he'll still be a part of our team."

I interpret that as meaning he will stay with the Canes, but I could be wrong. If they send him down, someone would definitely claim him off re-entry, but we'd be on the hook for half his salary. Not sure JR is that desperate; I'd think it better to keep him available for the next injury.

JR said "We decided to move a contract and to give him a chance with someone else," Rutherford said. "If he clears waivers, he'll still be a part of our team."

I interpret that as meaning he will stay with the Canes, but I could be wrong. If they send him down, someone would definitely claim him off re-entry, but we'd be on the hook for half his salary. Not sure JR is that desperate; I'd think it better to keep him available for the next injury.

Yeah true.

If we need help from the AHL it will be Carson.

This will be interesting to see.

Last year it would have been Borer for needed puck moving. This year Rodney surprised a lot of people (me included). Carson was positionally very sound and we all know Mo likes that kind of Dman. You may be right on the Carson call.

I can not speak for everyone but for me Carson was a bit of a surprise also. Not that he was a callup but that he did as well as he did in his time up. Very glad for him that he did do so well. Think he has deserved another call up if need be. And Rodney was a hugh surprise.

I read it the same way, but what does that do to the player if he isn't picked up on waivers? You are still on the team, but not wanted (by the management). I guess you have to pick up your game and prove that you are deserving of a spot. But does Kabs have that in him?

Happy Happy Joy Joy,,,

PLEASE ,PLEASE

Someone take Frankie boy!

Frankie has, a pretty weak shot

But if you take him you will only have to pay for half the pot.

Yes he can skate all over the rinks

But when he is going to get hit,Thats when he really stinks

When he stands inside the blue line

You know the puck ,will get out everytime.

Then he shoots that weak little wrister

All i can think, he shoots like someones sister.

Now I hope i can say, Bye Bye to Frank

Go someplace else And there you can tank

When you get picked up,By another Team,

I will be so happy you will all here me scream

And when he is gone,

I won't have much to post

And i'm sure,That will be good to most.

So I guess i should, Get off to work

Some some of you can read this

and call me a jerk.

And to the rest

It's a good day.

Now when we go see ,the Hurricans play

Ole # 5 won't be in our way!!! :o;):lol:

I guess I don't fully understand this waivers thing. If we put him on waivers and no one claims him, he stays on the team with the same salary, almost like nothing happened?

I suppose it puts things in perspective for the player that no team wants him at what he is being paid, but this doesn't make much sense by itself unless JR really thinks someone will bite. Given how injury prone this team has been, dumping Kaberle for nothing does not make the team better unless that money is applied to a second deal.