The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
katy

Carolina has placed Frantisek Kaberle on waivers. - TSN

I guess I don't fully understand this waivers thing. If we put him on waivers and no one claims him, he stays on the team with the same salary, almost like nothing happened?

I suppose it puts things in perspective for the player that no team wants him at what he is being paid, but this doesn't make much sense by itself unless JR really thinks someone will bite. Given how injury prone this team has been, dumping Kaberle for nothing does not make the team better unless that money is applied to a second deal.

It's kinda like JR is trying to be nice and say... Frank, we love you as a person, but as a hockey player, you get hurt way too much and you are weak. I'd be surprised if he got picked up, but I see his future, sitting in the press box here at the RBC center. Desperate teams may consider him, but quickly turn the other way. Way to go JR, I know you couldn't predict the future.. but you should have at least signed him to a shorter term, now we'll get nothing for your bad decisions!

I guess I don't fully understand this waivers thing. If we put him on waivers and no one claims him, he stays on the team with the same salary, almost like nothing happened?

I suppose it puts things in perspective for the player that no team wants him at what he is being paid, but this doesn't make much sense by itself unless JR really thinks someone will bite. Given how injury prone this team has been, dumping Kaberle for nothing does not make the team better unless that money is applied to a second deal.

At worst, the additional salary space could've been saved and used to re-sign Ruutu to a lengthy contract in the offseason. I still can't believe Rutherford couldn't unload Kaberle, even for just a draft pick.

I dont think Frank has a no trade. Only players I know are Wallin, Walker and Whitney.

Brindy has a no trade clause also..

Eaves needs to go on waivers or be traded. I'm surprised that Eaves and Kaberle did not go as a pair for another good player, although I would not be surprised if it wasn't offered.

Brindy has a no trade clause also..

Eaves needs to go on waivers or be traded. I'm surprised that Eaves and Kaberle did not go as a pair for another good player, although I would not be surprised if it wasn't offered.

Eaves is a young role player still fighting for a position heading into the second half of the season. Frank is an older veteran that has been out played, replaced and has spent a good deal of time injured.

Lets keep this on topic for Kaberle on waivers.

I agree with earlier posts that Frank looked like he was back to form before he broke his foot. I think he is much more solid defensively than Babchuk.

I know everyone thinks the D-men are supposed to score, but I'd like them to play defense first, and smoothly get the puck out of our end (which Frankie does pretty well). Maybe the offensive players could score without the first shot coming from the point once in a while?!

Update: Noon has come and gone with no takers. Kaberle stays on the roster, and the Canes will need him tomorrow night. Niclas Wallin appeared to suffer a setback at today's practice when his outstretched ankle was hit hard into the boards and he pulled up in obvious pain before leaving the ice. He was in full-contact mode after spending the last several days in gold.

Straight from the Canes site. Oh well, I see why J.R. couldn't trade him, we can't even give him away.

Kaberle has played better this year (meaning ok).

I'm not a Kaberle fan, but he has been useful when out there. No he is not the answer to the PP, a scorer, or hitter. Yes, we can do better.

Let's be fair, since his play has improved since last year. His TOI is far more limited.

This could really motivate Kaberle. Its helped players like Kyle Wellwood and our own Samsonov, but this time since Kaberle is still our property, it would be us who benefit if he plays well. Remember this guy was one of the best defenseman in the league in 05-06 and has been fighting injuries since.

This could really motivate Kaberle. Its helped players like Kyle Wellwood and our own Samsonov, but this time since Kaberle is still our property, it would be us who benefit if he plays well. Remember this guy was one of the best defenseman in the league in 05-06 and has been fighting injuries since.

I wouldn't say Kaberle was ever close to being one of the best defenseman in the NHL. I would question whether he was even the best defenseman for the Hurricanes that year, Commodore probably held that honor. However, Kaberle did score alot of timely goals that season, including the game-winner against Edmonton to win the Stanley Cup.

This could really motivate Kaberle....

If he plays. As I said above, it makes more sense to play Babchuk if JR has decided that he is a long term solution. Funny thing on that is Babchuk is RFA after this season, but Frank still has 1 more year. I'd think it's worth playing Frank; if he shows some improvement, someone may take him on waivers close to the trade deadline. Otherwise he likely sits until someone else will take him or we buy him out.

All this assumes, of course, that Wallin is back in when he's ready to go, which I think is a safe assumption.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out...

If he plays. As I said above, it makes more sense to play Babchuk if JR has decided that he is a long term solution. Funny thing on that is Babchuk is RFA after this season, but Frank still has 1 more year. I'd think it's worth playing Frank; if he shows some improvement, someone may take him on waivers close to the trade deadline. Otherwise he likely sits until someone else will take him or we buy him out.

All this assumes, of course, that Wallin is back in when he's ready to go, which I think is a safe assumption.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out...

Kabs will have to play, and play well, if there is any chance to move him. J.R. isn't going to be able to move him from the press box.

Your stuck with this guy unless a contender comes up with a rash of injuries on the back end rendering help in any way possible. Then again, at 2.2 mill a year, they may just take some kid in squirts and risk that experiment.

If I were JR, I would just take just a 7th round pick from any of the 30 teams for Kabs! Vancouver got a bad Jason LaBarbera for that price from LA late yesterday, I think Kabby is worth at least that much! Who knows, maybe that seventh rounder turns out to be the next, Zetterberg, or Franzen! GO 'CANES!!!

If I were JR, I would have take just a 7th round pick for Kabs! Vancouver got a bad Jason LaBarbera fo that price from LA late yesterday, I think Kabby is worth at least that much! Who knows, maybe that seventh rounder turns out to be the next, Zetterberg, or Franzen! GO 'CANES!!!

It is not the pick that teams won't risk, it is the fact that he still has another year left on that albatross of a contract that other teams don't want to touch.