The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
6-19-06

Patrick Eaves

I don't know if this belongs elsewhere because I don't post often, but...

Is it just me or do others get the feeling that Patrick Eaves doesn't exactly like it here?

Did anyone pay attention to the interview with him between periods last night during the Ottawa game? I have been wondering about him for quite some time. I have had the feeling since last year that he wasn't exactly adjusting as well as Corvo. I hoped it was only the injuries. But it kind of seems like it has carried over this year. He surely has not found the success here that he had in Ottawa, and that may play into it. But last night I felt like he all but came right out and said "I miss it here, please send me back!" Quite the opposite of Corvo's sentiments.

I like the guy and would love to see him flourish as a Cane. He does a lot of the right stuff already, but the scoring situation with him is mind boggling when looking at what he has accomplished in the past. Unfortunately, that probably makes his trade value well below what it was when we got him.

Do you think we can get him back to that level here in Carolina? Do we keep him if so? Does he even want to be here and could that be affecting his game?

Would love to know others thoughts...

I've been on the fence about him for this whole season. I cut him some slack last year since he was injured, but I just don't think he's gelling here. To me, he seems like a "big potential" player, but never quite reaching that payoff level. I think he'd be a great trade option.

I did notice on the PK he did take a bice shot from the puck and continued the play. The the next PK he was right back in there. I guy who doesn't care may not be so willing to give up the body.

Not that he would do that or not do it whther he was happy or not...I just wanted to point that out.

I tend to cut him some slack. He was injured when we got him and he has been injured the first half of this year. In and out of the lineup with various injuries. Last night he said this is the healthiest he's felt in a long time. I'm sure he's not happy with getting the minutes he is. Usually when guys are in scoring slumps, they all tell you that they want the ice time to help themselves get out of it. Him being stuck on the 4th is not going to help him regain his scoring potential.

This is where I think he and LaRose need to swap. Eaves has scored 20 goals in this league and his potential is at a higher ceiling. Larose is a great guy but his skillset isn't where Eaves could be if given the chance to regain that form. If he is feeling healthier than he has, I think its time to really test him and see what he's got. We can't gauge that giving him 6-8 minutes a night.

I tend to cut him some slack. He was injured when we got him and he has been injured the first half of this year. In and out of the lineup with various injuries. Last night he said this is the healthiest he's felt in a long time. I'm sure he's not happy with getting the minutes he is. Usually when guys are in scoring slumps, they all tell you that they want the ice time to help themselves get out of it. Him being stuck on the 4th is not going to help him regain his scoring potential.

This is where I think he and LaRose need to swap. Eaves has scored 20 goals in this league and his potential is at a higher ceiling. Larose is a great guy but his skillset isn't where Eaves could be if given the chance to regain that form. If he is feeling healthier than he has, I think its time to really test him and see what he's got. We can't gauge that giving him 6-8 minutes a night.

I agree! Besides...could it really hurt? ;)

He is making 1.1 million as a fourth line player. There are plenty of guys in the AHL that can contribute as much as he does fo half of that. He hasn't shown me a thing since he has been here. I don't think he can be traded with that salary. Who would want a fourth line player making that much?

I've been on the fence about him for this whole season. I cut him some slack last year since he was injured, but I just don't think he's gelling here. To me, he seems like a "big potential" player, but never quite reaching that payoff level. I think he'd be a great trade option.

You mean he is becoming a potential that never reached his ability like Alexander Daigle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Daigle''>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Daigle' target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Daigle[/post]

I did notice on the PK he did take a big shot from the puck and continued the play. ....
Eaves took a couple big, painful shots on that PK and Tripp says, "Good for him!" I know Tripp was meaning it in the sense that 'Good for him, he's making a big play to help his team.' But the way Tripp just happily said "Good for him!" with such enthusiasm as this poor guy is crippled in pain and agony was just another classic Tripp moment! :lol:

But was given that spot when Mo took over and then LaRose beat him out of it once he got back on the ice at all following getting scratched.

Speaking of his potential it is not out of the question that Eaves really benefited from the open style of play the year he got 20 goals and he's not going to reach that plateau again in his career. There are all sorts of players who set career highs that year.

Would he prefer to be somewhere else? Who knows? He is putting out the effort and is not afraid to lay a body on someone even after his shoulder injuries. As someone else pointed out he blocks shots. He is one of many who are not scoring. Just because he was happy in Ottawa does not mean he isn't happy here.

I'd have to agree that Eaves doesn't seem to fit in this organization. I like the player, don't get me wrong, but he doesn't really have a spot. He isn't a 4th line player to me. He seems to have a lot of potential. It might be best if we trade him because he's not worth the salary for his line OR move him up. I thought he played really well with Cullen, he just couldn't get the goals.

We gave the guy a chance to play top minutes - he was on the first line when the season started wasn't he? Its not like he hasn't had chances. I've heard JR and others talk about how great his release is but from what I've seen it sucks. The guy has had lots of chances where the puck SHOULD have gone in but didn't. To me, thats either just really bad luck or his shot lacks something.

We gave the guy a chance to play top minutes - he was on the first line when the season started wasn't he? Its not like he hasn't had chances. I've heard JR and others talk about how great his release is but from what I've seen it sucks. The guy has had lots of chances where the puck SHOULD have gone in but didn't. To me, thats either just really bad luck or his shot lacks something.

Wow you just talked about the whole team. Whose missed wide open nets this year: Staal, Ruutu, Samsonov, Whitney, Brind'Amour and Cullen. Who has struggled getting goals, oh wait that's the whole freakin team as we can't seem to score more than 2 goals a game and half the time its our defense getting the goals.

He was given the chance at top line minutes when he was still having a nagging shoulder injury, that wait for it, kept him out for a few games where he then lost his spot to LaRose, and never had a chance to get it back.

I know he hasn't done much on this team, but the dude had a shoulder injury, a concussion and anothe disclosed injury from the time he's been here. Do you honestly think we've seen all he's got with all the injuries he's had? If he says he is as healthy as he's been in a long time, then I think its time to give him another shot. What can it lose. LaRose's energy ain't getting the job done. Can't hurt to give someone more ice time who has the potential to regain his form.

I find it funny how everyone wants to give this kid a bum deal. Look around. There are players around the league who have more goals than any of our players have in combined points (goals/assits). Point is, no one on this team is performing to their standard or what they are getting paid.

What a wicked hit! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRdZ24qTOJ4' target="_blank">The Eves Hit![/post]

Laid him out cold.

Yep thats a typical hit by Colby Armstrong. He is a cheapshot head hunter whom needs his butt kicked.. Just about everytime he is challenged to a fight he backs down then waits for another chance to cheapshot someone!! If you don't believe me next time he plays here or you see him on tv really pay attention to his antics. You will see what a weasle he is...

Eaves is really just starting to get his game back after that hit,just like its taken Cullen a long time to get his game back. I myself like Eaves i hope he can get it together and stay with the Canes.

Yep thats a typical hit by Colby Armstrong. He is a cheapshot head hunter whom needs his butt kicked.. Just about everytime he is challenged to a fight he backs down then waits for another chance to cheapshot someone!! If you don't believe me next time he plays here or you see him on tv really pay attention to his antics. You will see what a weasle he is...

Eaves is really just starting to get his game back after that hit,just like its taken Cullen a long time to get his game back. I myself like Eaves i hope he can get it together and stay with the Canes.

Yep that's Colby. I can't stand him. The NYE game he was picking on LaRose the whole night. At one point I thought Gleason was going to pummel him and was actually hoping he would cause the kid needs a good butt whooping.

I talked to Patrick for about 15 minutes at the Skate with the Canes event. From what I gathered, he's very happy to be here. And by the way, there isn't anyone in the NHL that is happy with their minutes. They ALL want to play ALL of the time.

Hope he get's in his groove!

I think this only comes up due to the way Tripp asked the question, and Eaves not being the most experienced of interviewees went on a bit about enjoying his time there. I too noticed him during SWTK, he had the biggest grin skating with the kids, and actually approached my son (who's a bit shy) and talked with him briefly. He is only 24, so has a huge upside, and is worth taking some time to figure out what he can do when fully healthy. As has been mentioned before, shoulder injuries are long and hard to come back from. He is playing decent PK time, and I'm optimistic that he will be able to turn it around if given the time and opportunity.

Wow you just talked about the whole team. Whose missed wide open nets this year: Staal, Ruutu, Samsonov, Whitney, Brind'Amour and Cullen. Who has struggled getting goals, oh wait that's the whole freakin team as we can't seem to score more than 2 goals a game and half the time its our defense getting the goals.

He was given the chance at top line minutes when he was still having a nagging shoulder injury, that wait for it, kept him out for a few games where he then lost his spot to LaRose, and never had a chance to get it back.

I know he hasn't done much on this team, but the dude had a shoulder injury, a concussion and anothe disclosed injury from the time he's been here. Do you honestly think we've seen all he's got with all the injuries he's had? If he says he is as healthy as he's been in a long time, then I think its time to give him another shot. What can it lose. LaRose's energy ain't getting the job done. Can't hurt to give someone more ice time who has the potential to regain his form.

I find it funny how everyone wants to give this kid a bum deal. Look around. There are players around the league who have more goals than any of our players have in combined points (goals/assits). Point is, no one on this team is performing to their standard or what they are getting paid.

The difference is the other guys you just mentioned have been scoring. We put Eaves on the first line at the beginning of the year, and he was healthy, and he did jack. I like the guy, I've met him and he is INCREDIBLY nice. But hes brittle and hasn't done much. The second he starts scoring I'll start singing his praises. This isn't personal, its hockey. Its business. If one of your employees wasn't producing, would you give them a promotion? No.

No, Eaves is not going to pan out to what was expected of him. Probably because the expectations for him were far too high.

He's not a 20 goal scorer. Hitting 20 goals once does not make you a 20-goal scorer. Especially when he hit that mark on a year where EVERYONE in the league scored more, and on the highest scoring team in the league that year.

Injuries or not, he's just not a good player. He's a 3rd liner at best, and when he's not at his best, he's in the correct place now. A 4th liner.

If Colby Armstrong played for the 'Canes you would love him.

Nope.

There's a difference between players that can hit and players that go headhunting. Personally I don't want any headhunters on my favorite team. Nor do I want any guys that try to start stuff, then run away and hide when confronted.

Nor do I want any guys that try to start stuff, then run away and hide when confronted.

You have one. His name is Chad LaRose. I know because I have my fingers crossed every game for the last 2 years that someone will get in a fight with him. I continue to be disappointed because LaRose backs down every time. I recally a game last year in particular where LaRose put a late hit on someone, I forget who it was, then he started jawing with the other guy as the teams were getting in position for the faceoff. The opposing guy smacked the back of LaRose's head 4 times trying to get LaRose to react and fight. LaRose just stood there and took it and acted like nothing was happening. The last smack almost knocked him over, and LaRose doesn't even look at the guy. Now, many of you will say that is "smart hockey" so he doesn't get a penalty. Yeah, ok....whatever. I'd prefer a team full of guys who will stand up for themselves (and one another) and not take that sort of stuff from anyone. Brookbank and Conboy last year came in within a couple weeks of each other and all the teams that were getting rough with us stopped almost immediately because they created the physical presence on the ice. Oh, and then we started to win. That isn't the only reason of course, but it sure was a big part of it IMO.

You have one. His name is Chad LaRose. I know because I have my fingers crossed every game for the last 2 years that someone will get in a fight with him. I continue to be disappointed because LaRose backs down every time. I recally a game last year in particular where LaRose put a late hit on someone, I forget who it was, then he started jawing with the other guy as the teams were getting in position for the faceoff. The opposing guy smacked the back of LaRose's head 4 times trying to get LaRose to react and fight. LaRose just stood there and took it and acted like nothing was happening. The last smack almost knocked him over, and LaRose doesn't even look at the guy. Now, many of you will say that is "smart hockey" so he doesn't get a penalty. Yeah, ok....whatever. I'd prefer a team full of guys who will stand up for themselves (and one another) and not take that sort of stuff from anyone. Brookbank and Conboy last year came in within a couple weeks of each other and all the teams that were getting rough with us stopped almost immediately because they created the physical presence on the ice. Oh, and then we started to win. That isn't the only reason of course, but it sure was a big part of it IMO.

Colby Armstrong and Chad LaRose go about things in two different ways.

Armstrong goes around headhunting and looking to stir up trouble. He tries to pick a fight, then when that said player decides he's had enough and wants to fight, Armstrong goes running.

LaRose doesn't go around headhunting and looking for fights. He doesn't try to start a fight and then go running.

That's the difference. I don't care if 2 guys are talking smack to each other and jawing at each other. Every player in the leage does that. What I do have a problem with is guys like Armstrong and Avery who initiate a fight and then when they get that guy to commit to the fight, go running and hide behind the refs.

So no, I don't expect LaRose to commit to a fight for jawing at somebody. If he initiated the fight as in smacked a player in the head 4 times and went running, that's different. If we had guys figting for everytime a player told them that their momma is so ugly games would take 10 hours to finish.