The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
6-19-06

Patrick Eaves

Colby Armstrong and Chad LaRose go about things in two different ways.

Armstrong goes around headhunting and looking to stir up trouble. He tries to pick a fight, then when that said player decides he's had enough and wants to fight, Armstrong goes running.

LaRose doesn't go around headhunting and looking for fights. He doesn't try to start a fight and then go running.

That's the difference. I don't care if 2 guys are talking smack to each other and jawing at each other. Every player in the leage does that. What I do have a problem with is guys like Armstrong and Avery who initiate a fight and then when they get that guy to commit to the fight, go running and hide behind the refs.

So no, I don't expect LaRose to commit to a fight for jawing at somebody. If he initiated the fight as in smacked a player in the head 4 times and went running, that's different. If we had guys figting for everytime a player told them that their momma is so ugly games would take 10 hours to finish.

There have been MANY people on this board who have praised LaRose for being a pest. I'm not saying you are one...I don't recall, and the search function does not appear to be working at present so I can't link the threads. In any case, in many previous threads about LaRose, many people have praised him and loved him because he is annoying and a pest to the opposition. That's how het gets under the skin of other players...and that's how he gets a guy to smack him in the back of the head 4 times. If a player is going to be a pest and annoy the opponent...then don't run and hide when they take exception and want to settle it. That's what LaRose does. No, he doesn't go around headhunting...mostly because he is too small and weak to inflict any physical damage on any one. But he does pester opponents, and quite often its in the form of late hits and excess jawing. Sure, sometimes his pesky ways are done in a competitive fashion by stealing the puck and hustling, and he should be praised for that...but very often its in the form of cheap shots and late hits, followed by his big mouth. Admittedly, I have not seen it as much from him this year as in last year.

Look at it this way: If LaRose gets under an opponent's skin, how is that a bad thing for the Canes? If they want to spend their icetime looking for LaRose, trying to get him to fight, how is that a bad thing for the Canes?

Getting an opponent off their game is a great strategy. If it's settled, then it's settled and it doesn't bug the opponent. If you don't settle it, it continues to bug the opponent and continues to get them off their game.

The fundamental difference between LaRose and Armstrong is Armstrong has deliberately injured people. LaRose has not.

A pest is not a headhunter. A headhunter is not a pest. Headhunters are a menace, and they do not get properly dealt with as they were in years past. Pests are the guys you finish EVERY check on that you possibly can because they're annoying as hades.

And it's very rare to see a pest actually hurt someone. He's usually too buy flapping his jaws.

So Armstrong =/= LaRose.