The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canefan248

We Need Board Bangers

...Ruutu? No Ruutu? If I recall correctly, Tuomo is tied with David Backes and Trent Hunter for the 16th, 17th, and 18th spots in the hit leaders in the league with around 105 or something like that. Mhmm. Anyway, despite the fact that you didn't mention Ruutu as one of our physical players... no. I don't think we need to change our style. I think we need to embrace our current style and play it with more authority, which doesn't necessarily mean that we need to be bashing the other players into the boards the whole game. I know we've got the players for our style, we just haven't clicked yet. -_-

...Ruutu? No Ruutu? If I recall correctly, Tuomo is tied with David Backes and Trent Hunter for the 16th, 17th, and 18th spots in the hit leaders in the league with around 105 or something like that. Mhmm. Anyway, despite the fact that you didn't mention Ruutu as one of our physical players... no. I don't think we need to change our style. I think we need to embrace our current style and play it with more authority, which doesn't necessarily mean that we need to be bashing the other players into the boards the whole game. I know we've got the players for our style, we just haven't clicked yet. -_-

I am deeply embarrased that I left Ruuuuuuu out of the banger column. He is one of the premier bangers on the team. Thanks 15.

This is exactly what I love about the new NHL, you don't have to be a hard-hitting team to win games. It's all about speed now. So no, I really don't think this is the problem. Our problem isn't defense right now, it's offense; we are by no means producing enough goals. Other than these last two games Ward and the defense have been solid.

...Do the Canes need to change that aspect of their game? What do you think?

Yes, but not into bone crunching body slammers. They do need to play a complete game, and using your body is part of it. Their failure to do so decreases the number of opponent turnovers. That is the main benefit they're missing from using the body.

When the Canes hit for a full game (rarely), they dominate. The turnovers they receive are what leads to goals, something they lack right now.

I have been trying to get people on board with getting guys to bang, hit, play physical, or whatever you want to call it for a long time now. I hope you have better luck than i have had. So IMO yes we need to be able to play a more physical style of Hockey reguardless of what all the HOCKEY GODS on here think. That is a huge part of hockey always has been ,,always will or should be, I'm sure people will say well"look at Detroit they aren't a hitting team" but if you really watch closely the do have a physical edge to them. How about Boston,Sharks,Devils,Rangers,Ducks to name a few that play physical hockey and are very good teams.As a matter of fact we were probably 10 times more physical the year we won the cup than we are now. So i am behind us 100% getting physical with the guys we have or bringing guys up or trading for some guys that like to play that type of hockey. So get ready for the "IT'S A FAMILY ATMOSPHERE HERE IN RALEIGH, WE DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF STUFF HERE" whinners ,They are everywhere!!! Oh DJ you don't know what you are talking about,that isn't nessasary in hockey anymore its a faster less hitting style now!!!!Oh,,, i need to stop before i PUKE,,, Ok well now it on to you,you HOCKEY GODS,,,have at it!!!! :rolleyes:;)

I have been trying to get people on board with getting guys to bang, hit, play physical, or whatever you want to call it for a long time now. I hope you have better luck than i have had. So IMO yes we need to be able to play a more physical style of Hockey reguardless of what all the HOCKEY GODS on here think. That is a huge part of hockey always has been ,,always will or should be, I'm sure people will say well"look at Detroit they aren't a hitting team" but if you really watch closely the do have a physical edge to them. How about Boston,Sharks,Devils,Rangers,Ducks to name a few that play physical hockey and are very good teams.As a matter of fact we were probably 10 times more physical the year we won the cup than we are now. So i am behind us 100% getting physical with the guys we have or bringing guys up or trading for some guys that like to play that type of hockey. So get ready for the "IT'S A FAMILY ATMOSPHERE HERE IN RALEIGH, WE DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF STUFF HERE" whinners ,They are everywhere!!! Oh DJ you don't know what you are talking about,that isn't nessasary in hockey anymore its a faster less hitting style now!!!!Oh,,, i need to stop before i PUKE,,, Ok well now it on to you,you HOCKEY GODS,,,have at it!!!! :rolleyes:;)

DJ, are you having conversations with yourself? :unsure:

Im starting to get worried about you. :P

As a matter of fact we were probably 10 times more physical the year we won the cup than we are now. So i am behind us 100% getting physical with the guys we have or bringing guys up or trading for some guys that like to play that type of hockey.

So we were more physical that year huh? So in the entire 2005-2006 season the Hurricanes had 1145 hits. Okay? This year, only in this partial part of the season, the Hurricanes already have 906 hits. Somehow, I think they will have more hits this year.

This is exactly what I love about the new NHL, you don't have to be a hard-hitting team to win games. It's all about speed now. So no, I really don't think this is the problem. Our problem isn't defense right now, it's offense; we are by no means producing enough goals. Other than these last two games Ward and the defense have been solid.

Icekold -- The year we won the cup was all about speed and solid on-ice position. On top of that you will recall that the refs were given a mandate to call all of the holding/obstruction that was prevalent. They did a great job and I think the Canes and their speed/agility style were well suited.

However, I think the refs have revered a great deal in those three years since and we are back to somewhat of the old style -- not so much holding but the good teams using their big bodies on the boards. I don't think the Canes mix enough of that into their current style which is old time MO just playing a grinding game.

I will agree with you that the team definetly needs to score more goals per game. They have the capability and skill level players to do it but unfortunately they don't show up every game. And I would also add that part of scoring more goals comes along with being more physicial in front of and around the net. Not many of the players will camp out in the goal mouth and physically muscle for that space.

I wish I knew how they scored hits! The other night I thought Rosie had six and he was credited with only three. Walker had a few good ones and they credited him with six.

Anyone in the know please clue me in... ;)

DJ, are you having conversations with yourself? :unsure:

Im starting to get worried about you. :P

Nope not argueing with myself yet :blink:;) ,,but you knew where i was comimg from didn't ya??? Admit it,,it would have only been a matter of time!!

So we were more physical that year huh? So in the entire 2005-2006 season the Hurricanes had 1145 hits. Okay? This year, only in this partial part of the season, the Hurricanes already have 906 hits. Somehow, I think they will have more hits this year.

Did you go to or watch any games that year or did you just look up stats??? Stats are all well and good but things have changed with the game&refs. Just like someone else said on here what is a hit and what isn't???

I guess nobody else would argue with him! LMAO!!!..j/k :lol:;)

Hmm let me figure this out,,you think its funny that someone said i might be argueing with my self,,,,,,and you thought your comment was so funny that you made yourself laugh so hard your *** came off..now whom should we be worring about? :P;)

Oh yeah and by the way,, do you have an opinion about the topic?? I at least gave mine!! And my other sides as well!! :o:lol::blink::unsure::rolleyes::o

Nope not argueing with myself yet :blink:;) ,,but you knew where i was coming from didn't ya??? Admit it,,it would have only been a matter of time!!

Not really, I dont remember reading anywhere that people didn't want to see any hitting because it was offensive to families. Ive read and heard the argument the league has struggled with over fighting, but not hitting. ;)

A strong forcheck is the cornerstone to the Canes system. A physical presence is key to setting the tone and taking the opponent off their game. A big hit can change the momentum of a game and fire the team up.

All of the above is needed for this team to be successful but it doesn't necessarily mean they cant win without some of it, depending on the opponent. The biggest problem I see is when the Canes let the opponent dictate the type of game it is and they end up chasing and sometimes cheating in the game trying to shift momentum. When they come out and dictate the play from the start, they have more confidence to keep rolling and are more likely to stick to the gameplan. In many of the cases, the physical game is what they use to set the tone and dictate the way the game will be played.

Size does matter when the skill sets dont match up and the Canes dont really over power any team with size, speed or skill. When they do over power a team and win decisively, its because of gritty hard-nosed play and sticking to the gameplan. I agree with canefan248 that in 06, size didn't matter because players were getting called for almost any questionable contact so fast players could skate right through defenses. The game is not being called the same way and there's a ton more defensive neutral zone play slowing down the game. If you cant get them with speed, you're gonna have to get through them by knocking them down.

What I have seen lately is hitting in the first 10 minutes and then we back off, we shoot from the points with no one in the crease or crashing for a rebound, and we play the puck on the boards WAY to much.

Hitting is a part of the game and I see doing so when warranted. Just hitting everything in sight the first 10 minutes is not doing anything but making our players tired early. We need to conserve some of that energy and just hit when it is a good opportunity. Staal has been doing a few hits now and then and I like that. He needs to continue to use his size more. The dump and chase is well known around the league about us. I have started seeing defensemen and goalies head for the boards as soon as we get near the blue line. Every now and then we need to fake the dump shot and take it on in. And playing the boards. OMG! I call it 95% of the time. My son and I wonder if we really can handle the puck in the open ice. When we are in neutral zone we seem to make bad passes either in front of our player or to the defense waiting for it.

My thoughts are we need to work on stick handling and get back to basics. Too many backhanded shots, too much waiting for the perfect shot and to much of three players behind the net at once. I was always told "You can't score if you don't shoot!"

My .02

Hmm let me figure this out,,you think its funny that someone said i might be argueing with my self,,,,,,and you thought your comment was so funny that you made yourself laugh so hard your *** came off..now whom should we be worring about? :P;)

Oh yeah and by the way,, do you have an opinion about the topic?? I at least gave mine!! And my other sides as well!! :o:lol::blink::unsure::rolleyes::o

#1..lighten up and learn to take a joke. sheeesh!

#2 i DO have an opinion and i agree that the 'Canes have been pushed around lately and need to play with a little pss and vinegar. Guys like Seids, Wallin and Babs should be throwing themselves around alot more than they are. Will they? Guess we will see tonight.

#1..lighten up and learn to take a joke. sheeesh!

#2 i DO have an opinion and i agree that the 'Canes have been pushed around lately and need to play with a little pss and vinegar. Guys like Seids, Wallin and Babs should be throwing themselves around alot more than they are. Will they? Guess we will see tonight.

Sorry you didn't take my reply as a lite hearted way as it was intended with the smiley faces or what ever they are..But yeah i do like to get peoples opinions and give mine..Sorry if you took offense to my sarcastic attemp at humor

Our guys, with the exception of La Rose, Walker, and Gleason are not physical players.

No offense to anyone in particular here...but this thread loses a lot of credibility with that statement. LaRose...a physical player? Please. It still baffles me that people can say that about LaRose. Does he hit people? Sure. But does it make any impact? No, none. Does it deter an opponent from making a play? No, not at all. His hits are meaningless. More often than not, when he makes a hit on someone, he ends up on the ground...not the opponent. And whenever anyone hits him...he goes flying 10 feet. He seems to get shoved off the pick WITH EASE...other players just seem to give him a light push and he loses his balance and falls down. Just watch. Watch him hit someone...and then watch the reaction of the player he hit. It doesn't even phase the opponent. That, to me, is not physicality...and mentioning him in that sentence with Walker and Gleason...as an attempt to equivalate the three....impossible.

Sorry you didn't take my reply as a lite hearted way as it was intended with the smiley faces or what ever they are..But yeah i do like to get peoples opinions and give mine..Sorry if you took offense to my sarcastic attemp at humor

my bad. Must have mis-read. No harm..no foul. ;)

When we play well, we are hitting appropriately. When we play well, we are in control of the puck. When we play well, we look like an NHL hockey team, not a beer league club getting drubbed.

When we are not playing well, we are not hitting period. Our guys skate off the hits instead of delivering them. I'm not on the ice but it's as if they've been coached that way OR they don't want to hit, OR they are afraid of retaliation. I hope to high heaven it's not the latter.

When we are not playing well, we are not controlling the puck.

What are the signs and symptoms?

Long diagonal passes that

• Are intercepted OR
  • We wind up in a 1v2 OR
  • Our skater takes a big hit on the boards.

Vertical play that is SOOO predictable

• Resulting in turn overs
  • No opportunity scrums
  • Standing around watching

Defensive panic with "get rid of it" attitude that is not a part of good hockey

I don't get it. We are right back to playing the same uninspired hockey we were playing before, what I thought, was going to be a new day. Mo said "No dump and chase" but that's all I saw against Ottowa (except when Samsonov or Corvo had the puck.) I can see why Seidenberg spent so much time in the press box as a healthy scratch, now. His reckless passes and play with the puck that is so not what we are capable of. His play is top notch beer league right now. Why in this world would he leave Dany Wheatley uncovered to "help out" Joni Pitkanen? That bonehead play set the tone for the Ottawa game. How could his teammates help but be dejected?

HELP !!!

My 2 cents, and what I think a lot of this boils down to, is that this team was built for the NHL of 2005-06. It worked then. But we are now in 2008-09. It doesn't work now. LaRose and Walker just bounce off of people. We are taken off the puck way too easy. If our D doesn't play exceptionally, we will be beat, because we can no longer score more than 2 or 3 a game regularly, and our PK stinks. Much more to it than that (Staal and Brindy related, in particular), but I think that sums it up.

IMO we need more size and grit. This is not the same game it was in '06. The teams with a balance of skill, size, and willingness to play the body are doing better.

IMO we need more size and grit. This is not the same game it was in '06. The teams with a balance of skill, size, and willingness to play the body are doing better.

We need a whole lot more than size and grit to play the way we are now and win. There has go to be ways of playing with what we have that can win. How do I know? We played very exciting, interesting hockey for a couple of weeks. We let a couple of goals by Florida that we couldn't overcome, take us out of our game and right back into the old way.

Regarding grit, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's that size of the fight in the dog. Or is Ruutu 6'-4 and 235 lbs?

Did you go to or watch any games that year or did you just look up stats??? Stats are all well and good(nice grammar) but things have changed with the game&refs. Just like someone else said on here what is a hit and what isn't???

This still doesn't back up what you were saying at all. You said they aren't as physical this year than the 06 year. But obviously they are. And yes, I watched a lot of games.