The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
canefan248

We Need Board Bangers

This still doesn't back up what you were saying at all. You said they aren't as physical this year than the 06 year. But obviously they are. And yes, I watched a lot of games.

What i am saying is that IMO they were a more physical team back then. They weren't bone crushing hitters but they did play the body more. Playing the body may not always register as a hit but its alot more taxing on the opposing players.(mentally &physically) Thats is my take on it and if you don't agree then you don't ,,No big deal..

Feel free to check my grammer whenever you want, I really don't care and i'm way past getting report cards! ;)

I would count the teams utter lack of a playmaking Center (Cullen was last year but not this year) as our #1 problem. Staal is a big kid but lets face it if you collapse on him end of story. Our Captain suddenly can't find put the puck on the tape of the open man any longer, and Cullen seems a shadow of his former self.

I've got a few revolutionary ideas:

1) Lets create real traffic in front of the goalie. I think I may get physically sick if I see another 25 shot night when 20 of our shots are weak wrist shots from the blue line. Slap shots are ok, they pinball around BUT THEY ONLY WORK WHEN YOUR WINGS ARE BREAKING TO THE NET! Wings suck the defenders to them, put in rebounds and create problems. Our wings sitting at the face off circles while a Defenseman sends in a weak wristshot that won't create a quick rebound are useless. Wingers breaking to the crease can skate through and often dig the puck out of the boards with their momentum. Right now we arent moving enough for that.

2) We were built for offense. It is not realistic to think we are a team that will win 2-3 goal games. Our defense is much better with Coach Mo. BUT our problem is we are not putting any pressure on the other team. It is the half way mark and we do not have a single short handed goal. No one wants to give up a PP goal, but can we not put the other team on its heals at least once in awhile?

3) We need to give Brandon Sutter more ice time. He goes to the net and creates problems. With the play of our Centers I find it hard to justify not giving him more of a chance.

4) Leighton has got to become controlled on his FIRST save. He continues to take himself out of the shooting lane to block the first shot giving up easy rebound scores. In Albany he was better controlling his explosion, he needs to find that again.

We need to give Brandon Sutter more ice time. He goes to the net and creates problems. With the play of our Centers I find it hard to justify not giving him more of a chance.

Agreed. For someone who is small in hockey terms he isn't afraid to deliver a check when everyone else is afraid to. Thats a great leadership quality in my opinion. If he continues to develop, this kid will be real good.

It seemed that Toronto took the physical game and threw it at us. We did not match it for long. Ruutu was hitting everything, and even Staal laid a hit early in the 1st period. But, from then on, I felt we lost the physical game. Our passes were rushed and the players got a tad hesitant. That's my impression, FWIW.

I don't think just having physical players is going to get us to where we want to go. It's the simple things this team needs to remember to do, for example, active sticks on the back check. Just watch the guys skating from the offensive zone back to defend. RARELY, if ever, do they back check and cause havoc. Cullen's a prime example. He'll skating right behind a guy who has the puck, and instead of giving a little gas and coming up behind him and back checking, he just coasts.

We don't need to be physcial with all the teams we play. However, when physicality is required, we better remember to bring it, and have the players that can accomplish it.