The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Staal... or stalled?

I would like nothing more than to see Brindy turn it around. Getting him back in form would allow for a major run. We have the first line working, we have the defense mostly healthy and we're getting significantly improved goaltending from Cam.

Just don't see it happening. At some point it will be a battle between all of the goodwill and loyalty that Rod has deservingly built up vs. the success of the team. I really hope to be wrong about this. But Brind'Amour was slipping last year before the injury. That is what deflates my expectations.

In a perverse way I was kind of hoping that part of Brindy's problem was with Laviollette and that he would re-emerge under Maurice. That may have been an issue for Staal, but doesn't seem to have mattered for Brind'Amour.

Brindy can continue to contribute alot. He is much slower than he was last year but he still has great on-ice vision and sense. His face off production is down and I am not sure why although it could be a slowing of reflexes as well. But alll in all he is a leader whose experience can still set up some of the younger wingers to their job well. Let's not give up on him yet.

I heard that as well. Can you explain how it pays off? I was lost in their dialog but noticed the change. I haven't checked but I think he has improved on his face-off's compared to last year. The team is looking better especially with their work ethic.

not stopping and starting is considered lazy in hockey, it takes less time to stop and start back the other way. This is usually only an issue when you go from O to D.

Yea cause if he loops and everyone cycles to a position thier handness doesnt best suit your not scoring. Which is why Ruutu was scoring so many unassisted goals because he scored right off the rush because if we set up in the zone for a long time we couldn't score.

Imagine someone being at the recieving end of a pass while on thier backhand, it doesnt end well. They gotta first stop the puck on the backhand, settle it and then wind up and shoot. Goalie is already in position and so is your opposition sticks to close the shooting lane.

It's just bad for everyone, Samsonov does it to much for my liking as well. That guy dekes himself out of chances... like today he had a huge shooting lane. Pooped his pants because hes not exactly a sniper but if he had gotten it low and on goal we woulda had a rebound chance. He did his normal dekeing routine and looped back to the blueline and then lost the puck at some point. He musta had the puck 20 seconds and nothing came of it.

Great post! Sergei drives me nuts with all of his looping.

His face off production is down and I am not sure why although it could be a slowing of reflexes as well.

Really? How do you figure that? Last 5 seasons FO %'age (and the remaining seasons with the Hurricanes are in the same range):

08-09 62.7

07-08 58.3

06-07 59.2

05-06 59.1

03-04 61.1

I would like nothing more than to see Brindy turn it around. Getting him back in form would allow for a major run. We have the first line working, we have the defense mostly healthy and we're getting significantly improved goaltending from Cam.

Just don't see it happening. At some point it will be a battle between all of the goodwill and loyalty that Rod has deservingly built up vs. the success of the team. I really hope to be wrong about this. But Brind'Amour was slipping last year before the injury. That is what deflates my expectations.

In a perverse way I was kind of hoping that part of Brindy's problem was with Laviollette and that he would re-emerge under Maurice. That may have been an issue for Staal, but doesn't seem to have mattered for Brind'Amour.

I hope you're wrong, too, remkin, but share your fears. In truth, I thought Roddy would retire before the season started. I will say that he looked a lot better last week against Florida than he has all year; I didn't get to see any of the game vs. Montreal, although judging by the radio (CBC) account he seemed to be playing pretty physically.

I think if he's healthy Roddy can still be a factor, but I'm not sure he has the incentive he once did. Part of it may be "mission accomplished" syndrome -- he got his Cup here. Frankly, the rise of Staal may be part of it, too. Before Eric's fans get on me, let me say I'm not "blaming" Staal for anything; you take what they're willing to give you, which he did (and with that, you accept that you're going to see threads with titles like this one's when you're slackin'!!). While I'd like to think Roddy wouldn't allow another player's status to affect his own play, you've gotta wonder -- especially if he is, in fact, healthy.

All of that said, I do think JR gave Eric too much too soon. You wanna give him 8.5 million, fine, but sign him for three years and see if he starts winning faceoffs, because that's part of the job. I'm frankly not thrilled with the way Eric "decided" to play better after Lavi's removal and, last year, after Roddy went down (let's face it, he's turned it on like a light switch both times). True leaders contribute like that night in and night out, regardless of outside factors, and when they choose not to, they set the worst kind of example.

All of that said, I do think JR gave Eric too much too soon. You wanna give him 8.5 million, fine, but sign him for three years and see if he starts winning faceoffs, because that's part of the job. I'm frankly not thrilled with the way Eric "decided" to play better after Lavi's removal and, last year, after Roddy went down (let's face it, he's turned it on like a light switch both times). True leaders contribute like that night in and night out, regardless of outside factors, and when choose not to, they set the worst kind of example.

Intersting post. I also thought it was very unsettling to see him "turn on the switch" when the coaching change happened. It brings back some memories of Manny Ramirez with the Red Sox last season when he purposely tanked his play in order to get out his contract options. I know Staal isnt trying to get traded anywhere but it is curious how it seems he can turn it on and off at will.

What would your dreams be in the NHL? Score 100 points, be a leader, goto the allstar game, win a cup. Check...Check...Check... and Checkity Check Check.

He's done just about every dream a young kid would have in the NHL. So what do you set your goals at for the next year? Win the cup again? Man that was a helluva ride where everything went perfectly, what are the chances that happens again? Let's be honest in 2002 when we lost I personally thought our only shot at a cup ever went clear out the window. Score 120 points? Goto the all-star game again? ^shrugs^

I think he turns it on and turns it off when he finds something that drives him, such as Brindy going down and being thrust into the temporary Captain role. He took that and ran with it. Enough that I am not worried about Brindy's retirement anymore. This year, new coach time to put on the sparkle sparkle.

It's all well and good he eventually finds stuff to motivate him, it's his job to start finding things in the summer to work for. Honestly Sidney Crosby doesnt have this issue, he's still got the bad taste in his mouth from last season to wanna go out and get the cup. Staal how ever has the champagne from the cup still in his mouth and has to find something deep down inside to want it again.

It's all well and good he eventually finds stuff to motivate him, it's his job to start finding things in the summer to work for. Honestly Sidney Crosby doesnt have this issue, he's still got the bad taste in his mouth from last season to wanna go out and get the cup. Staal how ever has the champagne from the cup still in his mouth and has to find something deep down inside to want it again.

I hear you, Legend, but what about the incentive of PROVING YOU'RE WORTH $8.5 MILLION?? Or just sheer love of the game? Nothing bothers me more than squandered talent. I mean, here's a guy who is living the dream of every kid who has ever laced up the skates and picked up a stick. His job? Go hard two or three nights a week for a grand total of maybe 25 minutes. Not when you feel like it, but every time out. And he can't manage it?

Hell, I PAY to play ONE night a week and I STILL jump the boards every shift. (At my age, that's saying something!) Shouldn't we expect AT LEAST that much enthusiasm from ALL our guys?

I hear you, Legend, but what about the incentive of PROVING YOU'RE WORTH $8.5 MILLION?? Or just sheer love of the game? Nothing bothers me more than squandered talent. I mean, here's a guy who is living the dream of every kid who has ever laced up the skates and picked up a stick. His job? Go hard two or three nights a week for a grand total of maybe 25 minutes. Not when you feel like it, but every time out. And he can't manage it?

Hell, I PAY to play ONE night a week and I STILL jump the boards every shift. (At my age, that's saying something!) Shouldn't we expect AT LEAST that much enthusiasm from ALL our guys?

His job is more then 3 nights a week, it's 7 days a week for 9 months and the other 3 months are still training. Just because you dont see Eric Staal all day and night doesnt mean the second you dont see him he's on a lazyboy sucking down a cigar made of money.

Pick up hockey compared to the NHL come on. You also get 6 days to recover from your bruises and sore legs to. He gets less then 21 hours sometimes.

Not only that, but Staal is doing fine and was doing fine prior to this topic. He messed his shoulder up and kept playing because the team was far to depleted for him to sit out and he knew it. Not only with that messed up shoulder he never once complained about it or used it an excuse despite it became really obvious about 10 games into the season that hit did something to him. It's healed and now he's lighting the lamp almost nightly.

His job is more then 3 nights a week, it's 7 days a week for 9 months and the other 3 months are still training. Just because you dont see Eric Staal all day and night doesnt mean the second you dont see him he's on a lazyboy sucking down a cigar made of money.

Pick up hockey compared to the NHL come on. You also get 6 days to recover from your bruises and sore legs to. He gets less then 21 hours sometimes.

Not only that, but Staal is doing fine and was doing fine prior to this topic. He messed his shoulder up and kept playing because the team was far to depleted for him to sit out and he knew it. Not only with that messed up shoulder he never once complained about it or used it an excuse despite it became really obvious about 10 games into the season that hit did something to him. It's healed and now he's lighting the lamp almost nightly.

I never said he didn't have to train or do any of the other stuff EVERYBODY ELSE ON THE TEAM does, Legend, but my point is that the rubber meets the road on game night, and if he's being paid as your marquee player, he has to play that way. Don't pretend you didn't understand that, or that my point in citing old-guy hockey was about enthusiasm. If Roddy could bring it every night of the 05-06 season, Eric, at ten years younger, should have no problem doing the same now.

You're entitled to your opinion about what was or wasn't ailing Eric earlier in the year, but playing injured is part of the game, as you know. Roddy played hurt for much of the Cup season, and I could cite other guys on our team as examples. But to get it to a similar monetary/marquee player level, I'll switch sports and cite Allen Iverson. One of the smaller starters in his sport, in his prime (and that's pretty much where one is expected to be when they're making this kind of money) he left it all out there EVERY night, whatever condition he was in. I expect no less of ANY "big time" player, and find the way that Staal turns it on and off at will to be more than a little disturbing.

Frankly, and this is only my opinion, I think Lavi could have cured him by sitting his lolligaging a$$ down, but Rutherford wouldn't hear it.

All of this being said, Eric is playing lately as I expect him to play, and I have only positive hope that he will continue to do so. Nothing would make me happier than THIS Eric Staal in a Canes uni for many years to come.

He messed his shoulder up and kept playing because the team was far to depleted for him to sit out and he knew it. Not only with that messed up shoulder he never once complained about it or used it an excuse despite it became really obvious about 10 games into the season that hit did something to him. It's healed and now he's lighting the lamp almost nightly.

I think that is the real question. I was convinced for a long time that his shoulder was the problem. He actually looked really good before the injury. If it was the shoulder then all this talk of motivation and turning it on and off may be overblown. Of course we'll probably never know for sure, but I tend to think that the injury was a major part of the problem. Still, the timing of his recovery with the arrival of the new coach would be an interesting coincidence.

I hate to fall back to the easy "its a little of both" line, but it really may be a combination of his shoulder healing and the new coach giving him some new direction (more efficient shifts, less looping, etc).

He was never not skating hard, he wasn't scoring for a while.

He was NEVER not skating hard?? He was not skating hard plenty just last Thursday, and the fans were letting him hear about it. And that was during his current "resurgence." The exceptions earlier in the year were when he WAS skating hard. I just don't get why everybody apologizes for this guy. Maybe my years in Philly made me overly sensitive to obvious slacking, or to the straight-line correlation among (1) paying somebody an obscene amount of money; (2) paying an obscene amount of money for a hockey ticket; and (3) not enjoying watching the team lose from close range after paying that obscene amount of money, while the guy getting paid the obscene amont of money tweedles his wheedle.

(And again I say, just to ensure his defenders don't go apoplectic, the current Eric is playing much better, and there is NOTHING that would make me happier than being wrong in predicting it won't last.)

I never said he didn't have to train or do any of the other stuff EVERYBODY ELSE ON THE TEAM does, Legend, but my point is that the rubber meets the road on game night, and if he's being paid as your marquee player, he has to play that way. Don't pretend you didn't understand that, or that my point in citing old-guy hockey was about enthusiasm. If Roddy could bring it every night of the 05-06 season, Eric, at ten years younger, should have no problem doing the same now.

You're entitled to your opinion about what was or wasn't ailing Eric earlier in the year, but playing injured is part of the game, as you know. Roddy played hurt for much of the Cup season, and I could cite other guys on our team as examples. But to get it to a similar monetary/marquee player level, I'll switch sports and cite Allen Iverson. One of the smaller starters in his sport, in his prime (and that's pretty much where one is expected to be when they're making this kind of money) he left it all out there EVERY night, whatever condition he was in. I expect no less of ANY "big time" player, and find the way that Staal turns it on and off at will to be more than a little disturbing.

Frankly, and this is only my opinion, I think Lavi could have cured him by sitting his lolligaging a$$ down, but Rutherford wouldn't hear it.

All of this being said, Eric is playing lately as I expect him to play, and I have only positive hope that he will continue to do so. Nothing would make me happier than THIS Eric Staal in a Canes uni for many years to come.

So let me get this right, you want Staal to be like Iverson. Now that's what we need because Iverson makes a big impact to every team he plays for.

Famous quote "practice, we talking bout practice." Please tell me Iverson wasn't the best comparison you could come up with. LOL

So let me get this right, you want Staal to be like Iverson. Now that's what we need because Iverson makes a big impact to every team he plays for.

Famous quote "practice, we talking bout practice." Please tell me Iverson wasn't the best comparison you could come up with. LOL

As I made clear, I was talking about Iverson in his prime, all of which was with the Sixers, so yes, I stand by my comment: During that time, there was no one in the NBA who left it all out on the court every night in a way that was even close. Was he incorrigible off the court? Somewhat. But he and Larry Brown had one thing in common: their outsized egos. I don't fault you for not knowing this: Out-of-town coverage at the time made Iverson out to be the villian, but both men have accepted equal responsibility in any number of interviews about those years since then. You pretty much had to be living there and getting the full context every day to appreciate what was going on.

We can argue personality all we want, but the point here is on-the-court (or -ice) performance, and all you need to do is check the NBA stats. In the 7 years after MJ's departure from the NBA, Iverson won the scoring crown 4 times, and the breadth of his dominance becomes clear when you notice that he did it in the first year, in two consecutive years in the middle, and in the final year of that 7-year span, competing with the likes of O'Neal, Bryant, McGrady, etc.

So yes, in terms of effort expended on the ice game in and game out, I'd LOVE for Staal to emulate Iverson rather than, say, Anton Babchuk, whom he seemed to be impersonating most of the time, earlier this year. :lol:

As I made clear, (a) I was talking about Iverson in his prime, all of which was with the Sixers, so (B) yes, I stand by my comment: During that time, there was no one in the NBA who left it all out on the court every night in a way that was even close. Was he incorrigible off the court? Somewhat. But he and Larry Brown had one thing in common: their outsized egos. I don't fault you for not knowing this: Out-of-town coverage at the time made Iverson out to be the villian, but both men have accepted equal responsibility in any number of interviews about those years since then. You pretty much had to be living there and getting the full context every day to appreciate what was going on.

We can argue personality all we want, but the point here is on-the-court (or -ice) performance, and all you need to do is check the NBA stats. In the 7 years after MJ's departure from the NBA, Iverson won the scoring crown 4 times, and the breadth of his dominance becomes clear when you notice that he did it in the first year, in two consecutive years in the middle, and in the final year of that 7-year span, competing with the likes of O'Neal, Bryant, McGrady, etc.

So yes, in terms of effort expended on the ice game in and game out, I'd LOVE for Staal to emulate Iverson rather than, say, Anton Babchuk, whom he seemed to be impersonating most of the time, earlier this year. :lol:

That's where your wrong I watch and read about Iverson from when he was a kid. I never want Staal to be anything close to Iverson. I grew up in Virginia where Iverson was known not only as a great ball player but a pathetic person with no character. You can talk about all the personal stats and how hard he played but he is a thug. He is the worst kind of leader not showing up for practice. A rap sheet that is a big as the rappers he admires so much. He has never won one thing. The Olympic teams that had twice the talent as every other country couldn't even win with Iverson on the team. He is a loser not a champion, he had one great playoff run and that's it.

Staal has won at every level from the time he was kid until he got to Carolina. Please I'm begging you make a comparison to someone with just a little bit more character.

Really? How do you figure that? Last 5 seasons FO %'age (and the remaining seasons with the Hurricanes are in the same range):

08-09 62.7

07-08 58.3

06-07 59.2

05-06 59.1

03-04 61.1

Nancy NC

I stand corrected. I recently read some information in the N&O that I interpreted incorrectly. Thanks for the update.

where Iverson was known not only as a great ball player...

You make my point, because I'm talking only about game performance. Yes, the Larry and Allen show was a distraction, but it has nothing to do with my point, which I stand by: In terms of sheer, God-given skill, Staal and Iverson are comparable. In terms of the will to bring it every night, Staal hasn't shown it - yet - at a level anywhere close to AI.

You make my point, because I'm talking only about game performance. Yes, the Larry and Allen show was a distraction, but it has nothing to do with my point, which I stand by: In terms of sheer, God-given skill, Staal and Iverson are comparable. In terms of the will to bring it every night, Staal hasn't shown it - yet - at a level anywhere close to AI.

Great game by Staal tonight. Now if he could miss practice tomorrow, get traded because he can't ever find the right fit, go make a rap album and get arrested before tomorrow night game then maybe he can live up to the standards of Iverson.

LOL

:P

I guess we'll never know for sure if Eric just stalled and couldn't find his groove or played hurt, or if Lavi's coaching had something to do with it. His stats speak for themselves though. In the eleven games since Mo took over he scored 9 goals and had 4 assists for 13 points, including 3 multi goal and 4 multi point games. That said, I'm just glad his resurgence started two months earlier from last year.

I guess we'll never know for sure if Eric just stalled and couldn't find his groove or played hurt, or if Lavi's coaching had something to do with it. His stats speak for themselves though. In the eleven games since Mo took over he scored 9 goals and had 4 assists for 13 points, including 3 multi goal and 4 multi point games. That said, I'm just glad his resurgence started two months earlier from last year.

Also coincides with having Ronnie Franchise standing behind him and being there during practice each day. Whether issues may have been just play/physical, or in the lockeroom, or due to trades and chemistry, etc., Eric is responding better to the new staff.

Still would've been nice if he'd showed up against MN, but you can't get them all I guess.