The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Staal... or stalled?

Fans votes for the starting six only. Beyond that, the league requires that every team have at least one rep.

The All Star Selection Panel dialog:

"Hmmmm lets now find a player from the Hurricanes. Uhhh can we select a coach instead of a player? No and if so it wouldn't matter because they just canned their coach. OH! Well lets go with Staal since he was MVP last year. Good Gosh did you know that Brind'Amour was -26 and is 7th in the league for TOI?"

Is it me, or is Staal losing even more face offs than before?

His numbers had actually come up for a couple of games but against the Sabres (at least, did not check Toronto stats) they were down again. He won 44%. Even Sutter was better at 50%.

Let me just say, b/c I know some have complained about my "Staal bashing," that nobody wants him to play well consistently more than I do. But as a father, I also know that sometimes the best way to get through to an adolescent (and in purely clinical terms, adolescence in men often continues through age 25) is to give them an ultimatum. Right now Staal has no incentive to go out there and bust his *edit* every night. But sit that same *edit* on the bench for a few games, and maybe he gets the message. Maybe not. But at this point, there is - quite literally - nothing to lose.

His numbers had actually come up for a couple of games but against the Sabres (at least, did not check Toronto stats) they were down again. He won 44%. Even Sutter was better at 50%.

Let me just say, b/c I know some have complained about my "Staal bashing," that nobody wants him to play well consistently more than I do. But as a father, I also know that sometimes the best way to get through to an adolescent (and in purely clinical terms, adolescence in men often continues through age 25) is to give them an ultimatum. Right now Staal has no incentive to go out there and bust his *edit* every night. But sit that same *edit* on the bench for a few games, and maybe he gets the message. Maybe not. But at this point, there is - quite literally - nothing to lose.

Or do we have one of those athletes that signs a big, long-term deal...and then takes it easy for the remainder of his contract? Seems to happen way too often in all the major sports.....

Or do we have one of those athletes that signs a big, long-term deal...and then takes it easy for the remainder of his contract? Seems to happen way too often in all the major sports.....

Well, we don't know that yet. What I do know is that the more fans hold players' feet to the fire the better -- they either shape up or ship out.

You are absolutely right! Staal doesn't have an incentive and as a parent you would want to treat each kid the same. However, Rod has been playing poorly yet gets opportunity day in and day out. How can a coach justify benching Staal when he is producing more than Rod yet Rod is still getting a lot of TOI and every option that can help him pull through this funk.

I do think Staal deserves to be benched when he isn't going out every night and busting his tail to do the best he can. I also think that Staal is a competitor and if we were to bring in a young talented forward......that would motivate Staal and allow him to reach a different element of his game that he or others may not be aware of. It is rising to the level of your competition but within. Staal can work half as hard and do as much as most of the team on most nights.