The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hurricanes30

What to do about the LOSING Streak

I've been following a lot of the games on webcast this season, since Maurice has taken over he's been playing Cam Ward far too much, Michael Leighton is a really good back-up to have & should be given a couple of starts even bring up Justin Peters & let Ward watch from the stands as he's bound to be exhausted. Brookbank needs to be brought back in for a game or two, to toughen things up i think as a replacement for Eaves who's not having much luck at the moment. We need another D-man for a start, as much as it pains me Wallin doesnt have it anymore. Corvo is only of any use on the powerplay, his defensive game is poor as he's been turned on a flatfoot too often for my liking. Seidenberg has played really well in my opinion and has been a big surprise so far this season.

I've been following a lot of the games on webcast this season, since Maurice has taken over he's been playing Cam Ward far too much, Michael Leighton is a really good back-up to have & should be given a couple of starts even bring up Justin Peters & let Ward watch from the stands as he's bound to be exhausted. Brookbank needs to be brought back in for a game or two, to toughen things up i think as a replacement for Eaves who's not having much luck at the moment. We need another D-man for a start, as much as it pains me Wallin doesnt have it anymore. Corvo is only of any use on the powerplay, his defensive game is poor as he's been turned on a flatfoot too often for my liking. Seidenberg has played really well in my opinion and has been a big surprise so far this season.

Mo used to that with Irbe too, not that we had great backup at the time, but he seems to treat him like a Brodeur. He may be someday, but he just doesn;t seem to be ready for it. I agree, give Leighton a shot. I thought for sure we would see him Thursday after those SOFT goals.

Know I'll be flamed, but here we go...

If I was GM/Coach, someone who actually could do something(and I'm not..hmmm wonder why ;) )...here is where I'd start:

1: Strip C and As from current

2: Ruutu or Gleason gets the C, they are the only 2 on the team inspiring play

3. Who for alternate? Whitney, Staal, and whoever didn't get the C

4. Healthy scratch Brindy so he can heal or retire.

5. Play Sutter/Bayda more

6. Rest Cam as soon as he has one off game (which means we may have to go after a new goalie)

7. Get a real bruiser, Brookbank don't cut it ( we are being bullied too much)

I really think we have a good defensive core, Gleason will lead that defensive core to success. Babs, Seids, Pit,Corvo, Wallin, and Timmy can be an awesome force in years to come. They just need more time, and more success up front. We need more depth in goal to help Cam. I do think Cam is young and still growing. He has massive glimmers of excellence, but some people forget, he is still very, very, very young for a goaltender. He improves every year, he is not giving up rebounds this year like he did last year. Cam's play does reflect the play up in front of him though. If the forwards are off, he is off. The forwards are so inconsistent because of a lack of leadership. When the Captain loses the puck every time he touches it, fans on every shot he makes, misses every pass, that isn't leadership, it means time to retire. You cannot lead from behind. I know a lot of y'all love Brindy, and I do too, but when my grandpa got too old to drive and was wrecking everywhere, it was time to take his license away.

No more coaching changes, the problem wasn't with Lavi, it isn't with Mo, its up front. THE TEAM HAS NO REAL LEADERSHIP RIGHT NOW.

Big picture: Shake up the C and As, trade for a backup, and get a bruiser who can play. Circle file: Brookbank/Kaberle/maybe Eaves/maybe LaRose/Leights

Anyone think that the Rats have any forwards worthy of bringing up right now???

DO WHATEVER IT TAKES AT THE END OF THIS YEAR TO KEEP RUUTU

Flame on, I'm wearing NOMEX.

No flames thrown from me, I think you're spot on except I'd trade for true playmaking center too.

Not sure I'd strip the C as much as "strongly suggesting" Brindy passes the torch. Less demeaning and more Captainlike.

I like LaRose, and there have been nights where his effort has been far and above everyone else's. That kid tries 150% every game, he really does. He just doesn't have the size/skill to bring what we need, but he may fit in really nicely somewhere if someone is looking for a fast pest.

Ruutu as trade bait (like everyone is saying right now) would be an epic mistake. Carolina has to develop a NEW CORPS of "Franchise Players" RUUTU, STAAL, SUTTER, WARD, WHITNEY, GLEASON should all be on that list of players you don't trade away.

Well, if the team is not responding to it's leadership and the coach is fired already...is it possible that for some reason this team is not responding to Brind'Amour's leadership anymore? I just can't help but think of what this team did almost immediately after he went down last year. It is painful, but that is the single biggest problem right now.

I don't disagree with you and it is painful to see a player like Brind'Amour lose his team. But then what? Do we really think Staal has earned the right to wear the C on his sweater? I don't.

Well, if the team is not responding to it's leadership and the coach is fired already...is it possible that for some reason this team is not responding to Brind'Amour's leadership anymore? I just can't help but think of what this team did almost immediately after he went down last year. It is painful, but that is the single biggest problem right now.

I don't disagree with you and it is painful to see a player like Brind'Amour lose his team. But then what? Do we really think Staal has earned the right to wear the C on his sweater? I don't.

That's when you leave them Captain-less and hope someone emerges as a true leader. There are leaders in that locker room but it seems that no one is willing to stand up and be heard. The few that have spoken out have really danced politely around issues and are careful not call specific teamates out. Maybe because Brind'Amour is sitting right there with C on his chest fighting his own demons? Who really knows?

Of course none of us is in that locker room but its painfully obvious there's just no more camaraderie and "playing for each other."

In the past the Canes had identifiable lines in the B-B-C line, this year the lines seem to change with every shift. In the past, leadership was clear both on and off-ice. In the past, the Canes showed heart. This year it seems instead of playing for the logo, or playing for the man in front of him, the Canes are simply playing for the paycheck.

If the Canes played every shift of every game as they did for the 11 minute flurry in the Leaf game, I would glady pay for overpriced concessions and Canes wear. Now it seems the Canes play with the intensity of the flurries forecast for tomorrow night.

None of us know what is going on in the locker room. I imagine the guys all love Brindy, and everyone is afraid to confront him, from the fans, to the GM, and the coaches.

How hard would it be to tell a 28 year veteran, "Its not there anymore Cap" ??????? Nobody wants to do it. The big problem is that a true leader should recognize that, and make the decision himself. The fact that this hasn't happened is what is concerning.

I'm not saying Rod should retire right now. All I'm saying is that he needs to step aside as Captain. I respect his faceoff abilities, but faceoffs alone don't win games.

Our team has lost a sense of themselves, someone said it earlier, "They're not playing for each other, they're playing for a paycheck." That is certainly how thing appear right now. My big fear is that the only one who can solve this issue is the Captain.

Our team has lost a sense of themselves, someone said it earlier, "They're not playing for each other, they're playing for a paycheck." That is certainly how thing appear right now. My big fear is that the only one who can solve this issue is the Captain.

Im not so sure they've ever really established an identity this year. And yes, I agree that so many of the problems we see come from leadership issues from the top all the way down and maybe they've put too many at the coaching level.

Im not so sure they've ever really established an identity this year. And yes, I agree that so many of the problems we see come from leadership issues from the top all the way down and maybe they've put too many at the coaching level.

Totally agree on the identity issue. The Canes have lots of new faces and so far appear to have problems meshing. They have also needed to adjust to a new coach and his tweaks on the system.

The thought that we might have to many coaches has also crossed my mind. I have no doubt this is Maurice's team now but we also know it has been speculated that Ron Francis is there to decide if he likes coaching and some of us suspected Tom Rowe may have been brought up as a back up for Lavi.

So who's team is it. On the Ice, Brindy's or Staals and more importantly who's team will it be next year behind the bench Mo's, Rons or Toms. It is difficult to serve more than one master at a time let alone this large cast.

Totally agree on the identity issue. The Canes have lots of new faces and so far appear to have problems meshing. They have also needed to adjust to a new coach and his tweaks on the system.

The thought that we might have to many coaches has also crossed my mind. I have no doubt this is Maurice's team now but we also know it has been speculated that Ron Francis is there to decide if he likes coaching and some of us suspected Tom Rowe may have been brought up as a back up for Lavi.

So who's team is it. On the Ice, Brindy's or Staals and more importantly who's team will it be next year behind the bench Mo's, Rons or Toms. It is difficult to serve more than one master at a time let alone this large cast.

Someone needs to sign Ruutu to a deal and its time for RB to hang it up he's been great for the team but I cant stand to watch a great player wither away like that.Try the C on Staal and see if he can really bring it every night and carry this team like he drafted to do anyway.Trade Patrick E and Larose cuz their not doing the canes any good.Release Kabs to free up a spot on the team.P.S put a letter on Ruutu's jersey cuz he's earned it.KEEP RUUTU!!!!

Someone needs to sign Ruutu to a deal and its time for RB to hang it up he's been great for the team but I cant stand to watch a great player wither away like that.Try the C on Staal and see if he can really bring it every night and carry this team like he drafted to do anyway.Trade Patrick E and Larose cuz their not doing the canes any good.Release Kabs to free up a spot on the team.P.S put a letter on Ruutu's jersey cuz he's earned it.KEEP RUUTU!!!!

Agree about Ruutu.

Agree about Ruutu.

While neither LaRose nor Ruutu have the skill of an elite player they play every shift with heart. I will take this over a skilled player such as Staal who seems to take every other shift off any day.

In regards to the losing streak, if 90 points is the minimum to get into the playoffs the Canes would need to have somewhat of an 18-10-7 record the rest of the season to achive this goal. Don't see this happening.

Things go up and down fast in hockey. After beating new jersey for our 4th win and a decent december record, all seemed happy and good in hurricanes world. Than a 4 game losing streak and everyone wants players traded and people fired. This is hockey, and we've got a good team and a good record. I think our lineup and coach should stay the same and we'll squeak into the playoffs and see what happens. I thought the canes looked great after maurice took over and now there on a losing streak. boo hoo, they will turn it around and win some, there a great team going thru some stuff right now. If we went on a 5 game winning streak now everyone will be talking stanley cup and how great our team is.

Oh and theres only one reason we do not win more. Our players have not been able to finish and put the puck in the net this year. so many chances, hit posts, incredible saves, we are creating the chances to win every game, just can't finish. Staal's numbers are upsetting. Is it just me or is he scoring less and less as he gets older?

Staal, Cullen, Samsonov, Brind amour, Walker, Williams, Sutter, .......PUT THE PUCK IN THE BACK OF THE NET, key word, "BACK".

Whitney, Ruutu, Pitkanen, Corvo, good job this year, everyone else is fired!

Things go up and down fast in hockey. After beating new jersey for our 4th win and a decent december record, all seemed happy and good in hurricanes world. Than a 4 game losing streak and everyone wants players traded and people fired. This is hockey, and we've got a good team and a good record. I think our lineup and coach should stay the same and we'll squeak into the playoffs and see what happens. I thought the canes looked great after maurice took over and now there on a losing streak. boo hoo, they will turn it around and win some, there a great team going thru some stuff right now. If we went on a 5 game winning streak now everyone will be talking stanley cup and how great our team is.

It's not just that we lost 4 games in a row, it's how badly we lost them. Up until the 3rd period of the Toronto game we had been outscored 20-4. That's not a typo, that's 20-4.

I hope we pull up tonight, but this is starting to feel a whole lot like last year.

I agree about Staal just not brininging it every night, and thus not really earning it yet, but he might be the kind of guy who rises to the occasion. I have no doubt that Brind'Amour was and maybe still is a great leader, but the thing about leadership as an athlete on a team is that it is near impossible to lead if you aren't performing on the field/ice.

On those who have said that they expect a true leader to realize that they are hurting the team, don't hold your breath. Players like Brind'Amour got where they are, and are such good leaders because they never give up. They just keep working and trying. I'm not saying that it is impossible for him to demote himself, just very unlikely, at least not during the season. But we need the change NOW.

It's not just leadership, we need a second line center that is not constantly knocked off the puck and turning the puck over and slow as a goalie in full gear and not dead last in the NHL at -27, still, and so forth. Brind'Amour can keep the "C" forever as long as he does so from the press box.

1 year of Ruutu and already there are claims of putting a letter on his jersey. Nah, I'll pass. Especially considering he might not even re-sign here in the off-season.

It's quite simple. This team just isn't any good. Too many holes, not enough talent to cover them up. As much as Ruutu and Samsonov try on the top line, they're not top line players. 2nd line at best. We need to grab a true 1st liner to play with Staal, because he's alone up there. Unfortunately, most teams aren't going to just give up a 1st liner, and when they do, it's not for anything we can offer.

We also need a true 2nd line center. Someone who can win faceoffs, play the powerplay/penalty kill, and most importantly, manage the line. We don't have one. Brindamour's past his prime, Cullen's not doing much of anything this year, and Sutter's too young. That's something we'll really have to look for in the off-season.

You all might as well get used to this. We're not doing anything this year, as if that wasn't obvious enough. Chances are, we're not doing anything next year either. We've got too many tie-ins to contracts we're not going to be able to get rid of (Eaves, Kaberle, etc). No one wants our leftovers, and with the cap likely decreasing, we'll have to make do with what we've got.

The good news, however, is that once those contracts are gone, we've have a young, if inexperienced, team. We've got a lot of young talent that's on the rise, and if the next two seasons fall the way it's looking, we'll have some draft talent from that as well.

Staal very much has not earned it. A lot of teams chose their best player to be the captain (Sid, Ilya), but I don't necessarily think your best player is the best leader. Washington has Chris Clark as a captain and you never notice the dude on the ice.