The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hurricanes30

What to do about the LOSING Streak

I really believe tonight we are going to win this game...Lets get it done guys..Postive thinking..

OK, I positively believe that a 4.75 GAA over the last four games should get you a night off.

OK, I positively believe that a 4.75 GAA over the last four games should get you a night off.

Oh, and this is going to sound crazy, but Sean Avery's the EXACT type of player we need, and this is the exact type of franchise HE needs.

Ive thought about this losing streak and it mainly comes down to one reason. Almost everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. It seems like we are getting no lucky bounces, and that the other team gets plenty of them. If we make the slightest mistake the other team WILL capitalize on it, yet if they make a mistake they can quickly recover. Now to win a game obviously everything doesnt have to go right, if it does you get something like a 6-0 victory, but you cant win if everything goes wrong.

Well, if the team is not responding to it's leadership and the coach is fired already...is it possible that for some reason this team is not responding to Brind'Amour's leadership anymore? I just can't help but think of what this team did almost immediately after he went down last year. It is painful, but that is the single biggest problem right now.

Sad to say, but Rod playing much less now and much less makes a difference on the ice - ages, injuries? Probably. With full respect.... I think PM has to give more time to Walker, LaRose, Bayda and Sutter - and, both goalies have to play, not just Cam who does his best but probably already tired at this moment.

And yes, this season seems to be over unless miracle comes... Hope dies last

Sad to say, but Rod playing much less now and much less makes a difference on the ice - ages, injuries? Probably. With full respect.... I think PM has to give more time to Walker, LaRose, Bayda and Sutter - and, both goalies have to play, not just Cam who does his best but probably already tired at this moment.

And yes, this season seems to be over unless miracle comes... Hope dies last

:unsure: Sad to say but need to say that we need major locker room changes such as redrawing Rod as Captain who obviously cannot lead now due to undisclosed illness severity.We are losing this season pretending that Rod could lead for the last 2 months and that is management denial!!

With the Slugs and Kitty-Kat wins the Canes are moved further from a playoff berth. While it's not over until the Fat Lady sings, it is clear she is warming up off stage. Do the Canes have to be eliminated from the playoffs until major action is taken? Will the fans accept another increase in ticket prices because the Canes failure to meet revenue sharing guidelines? But does an end to the streak mean changes are no longer needed?

There has been a coaching change and nothing has changed? Does a change in the GM position do anything to save the season?

Oh, and this is going to sound crazy, but Sean Avery's the EXACT type of player we need, and this is the exact type of franchise HE needs.

That thought has crossed my mind. He would be a royal pain, but what he can bring (energy, physicality, and skill) are exactly what we need. Not so sure that his other antics wouldn't be a liability and distraction to the team though. If you could gaurantee that he would behave with some terms in the contract, then we should go after him. I'm guessing that his value has gone down significantly in the NHL since the whole sloppy seconds fiasco.

That thought has crossed my mind. He would be a royal pain, but what he can bring (energy, physicality, and skill) are exactly what we need. Not so sure that his other antics wouldn't be a liability and distraction to the team though. If you could gaurantee that he would behave with some terms in the contract, then we should go after him. I'm guessing that his value has gone down significantly in the NHL since the whole sloppy seconds fiasco.

If I remember correctly, Conboy has a 1 way contract with the Canes next season. He brings a lot of what you want from Avery, without being a complete *edit*. Doubtful the Canes bring in Avery but I would at least be entertained during the games if they did.

With the Slugs and Kitty-Kat wins the Canes are moved further from a playoff berth. While it's not over until the Fat Lady sings, it is clear she is warming up off stage. Do the Canes have to be eliminated from the playoffs until major action is taken? Will the fans accept another increase in ticket prices because the Canes failure to meet revenue sharing guidelines? But does an end to the streak mean changes are no longer needed?

There has been a coaching change and nothing has changed? Does a change in the GM position do anything to save the season?

At least we know we are guaranteed a good draft pick. Personally, I would rather just tank the rest of the season than either A. Get close to the playoffs and miss it just like last year B. Get into the playoffs as an 8th seed and get swept in 4 games..... We all know who the top 2 drafts are this year but who is like number 8-10? I've heard the pickens' are pretty slim this year. Guess we will REALLY have to tank it to get someone good.

The problem breaking this losing streak will be the Canes will win one or two games and go on anther losing streak.

Maybe its time to trade our "franchise" players for a boat-load of prospects

The problem breaking this losing streak will be the Canes will win one or two games and go on anther losing streak.

Maybe its time to trade our "franchise" players for a boat-load of prospects

I think this may be what happens... its still kind of a long shot but if we make it 3 years with no playoffs after winning The Cup, I feel JR will figure its time to start over. It took him 2 years and some change to figure Lavi wasn't gonna work anymore... Seems to me he will come to the conclusion its time to start over sometime soon.

I'm not saying Ruutu deserves a letter on his jersey but shake the lockeroom up a bit.Staal needs to step up or go away,I have faith that he can do it.I know its crazy but this guy has what it takes just put him in the heat and i think he could pull it off.Doesn't really matter unless something changes up front.P.S. MO is not a good coach never has been never will be. :angry:

With the Slugs and Kitty-Kat wins the Canes are moved further from a playoff berth. While it's not over until the Fat Lady sings, it is clear she is warming up off stage.

We would have heard her already, but PK is unwilling to spend enough cash for a Fat Lady.

:blink: What are we to do trade players fire more coaches sell the the team who knows what will happen not selling the team ofcourse haha. Just wanted to hear everyones 2 cents worth

Too bad GM's can't be traded. I think some of the problem lies with Rutherford. I will admit, Ruutu, Samsonov and Corvo couldn't have been a better trade. This may get under the skin of some of you Cam Ward fans, but I PROMISE as long as he is the starting goaltender, we will always play mediocre seasons. I can't understand why people can't see it. Leighton is an outstanding minor league goalie and Ward is an excellent backup goalie. The only time he has shined is during the 06 playoffs. I cannot stand when Tripp says "Ward was just stellar" when he clearly wasn't. I often wonder if him and I were watching the same game. Giving up 5 goals is NOT stellar. I know some of you all are going to defend Ward and its OK. He is not starting goaltender material. What has he done since 06? I guarantee you as soon as we get a consistent goaltender, things will turn around. I know some people love Ward and its understandable, but he is slightly better than flash in the pan. Someone please tell me why so many people think he's this great goaltender? That was obviously rhetorical because he isn't. Now, let the bandwagoning attacks fly......

Well, before we tell you why we believe he is, how about you tell us why you believe he's not. Despite that incoherent rant, you don't appear to give any evidence as to why other than "He's just not".

The evidence for why he is is simple. Earlier this month, we actually played defensive hockey. We played smart, we didn't give up odd-man chances, and we kept grade A chances to a minimum. And by some coincidence, I'm sure, Ward's stats greatly improved.

Well, before we tell you why we believe he is, how about you tell us why you believe he's not. Despite that incoherent rant, you don't appear to give any evidence as to why other than "He's just not".

The evidence for why he is is simple. Earlier this month, we actually played defensive hockey. We played smart, we didn't give up odd-man chances, and we kept grade A chances to a minimum. And by some coincidence, I'm sure, Ward's stats greatly improved.

He was also well rested after coming back from injury. He had a great stretch of games. Now, after ~10 games, hes not playing as well. Part of it is the team giving up odd man rushes and part of it is fatigue. Play Leighton please and Cam will show up more often.

Look at all the goaltender stats from the last two seasons and tell me where Ward ranks (I already know). He played behind a bad team, but so have plenty of other goaltenders and they managed to fare better. Ward alone, will not steal wins like a GREAT goaltender does. He goes as the team goes, or worse sometimes. So far, I think Ward is the teams weakest link. Like I said, look at where he ranked in GAA and Save % stats the last two seasons! He's a perennial cellar dwellar.

At least we know we are guaranteed a good draft pick. Personally, I would rather just tank the rest of the season than either A. Get close to the playoffs and miss it just like last year B. Get into the playoffs as an 8th seed and get swept in 4 games..... We all know who the top 2 drafts are this year but who is like number 8-10? I've heard the pickens' are pretty slim this year. Guess we will REALLY have to tank it to get someone good.

I'm with you. Let's tank and hope we end up with #1 pick of Tavares. With our luck tho, we'll tank and end up with pick #5.

My gameplan:

This season -

Tank and hope we get pick #1

Split goaltending duties between Ward and Leighton.

Off season -

Fire Maurice. Send Ronnie back to the front office. Try to lure Ken Hitchcock away from Columbus.

Retire Brindy.

Keep our D (except Kaberle)

Dump all forwards except for: Staal, Whitney, Ruutu, Sutter, possibly Cullen and probably Williams (I'll give him a "pass" this season).

Pick up 1-2 "name" scorers

Bring up a bunch of our AHLers for our 3rd and 4th lines.

Next season

Make either a new "name" scorer our C or give the C to Gleason. He's outspoken and doesn't make excuses.

A new option!! My 6 year old son has been potting 2 goals a game in his Montreal novice league. He keeps telling me to call the Hurricanes and tell them he promises to get atleast two goals a game for them. From the looks of things, those 2 goals would make a huge difference.

He is 4 feet, weighs 55 lbs and shoots right. Maybe a right winger for Staal.

What do you think?? :lol:

I'm with you. Let's tank and hope we end up with #1 pick of Tavares. With our luck tho, we'll tank and end up with pick #5.

My gameplan:

This season -

Off season -

Fire Maurice. Send Ronnie back to the front office. Try to lure Ken Hitchcock away from Columbus.

Retire Brindy.

Dump all forwards except for: Staal, Whitney, Ruutu, Sutter, possibly Cullen and probably Williams (I'll give him a "pass" this season).

Next season

Make either a new "name" scorer our C or give the C to Gleason. He's outspoken and doesn't make excuses.

Makes sense to me.

My gameplan:

This season -

Off season -

Retire Brindy.

Next season

I like your optimism but I don't think that will be a winning recipe because of "Pick up 1-2 'name' scorers" and "Use the AHLers as 3rd and 4th liners." The canes just won't have the cash for that. If the canes are going to add anyone who is a true scorer, they are going to have to draft him in this economy. And the AHLers might not be suited to those roles on the bottom two lines. Now if the plan is to be bad again next year for another high draft pick then this will work, which isn't necessarily a bad plan, but it ain't going to turn it around in a year.

It's not just leadership, we need a second line center that is not constantly knocked off the puck and turning the puck over and slow as a goalie in full gear and not dead last in the NHL at -27, still, and so forth. Brind'Amour can keep the "C" forever as long as he does so from the press box.

AMEN ! I don't care that he leads the league in faceoff %, Rod's game last night was typical of his poor play this year ...

another -2 for a season high -29 (also leading the league); kills the Canes first powerplay in just 2 seasods with a trip (because he can't keep up with a speed game) which quickly became the Slugs 1-0 lead; and ends up with just 1 SOG for the night. Limiting his time isn't working ... IT'S TIME for Rod to get OFF THE ICE for a while.

If JR wants to limit further embarassment to Rod and the team, place him on IR for about a month, and let Rod watch from the press box wearing his C up there. PLEASE !

For those of you who think it makes sense to "tank" the rest of the season, can you help me understand how you justify that to your investment in this team? I'm sure you are all full season ticket holders who have invested your hard earned money for season tickets THIS year and I just don't know how you say that and be OK with watching the team just lose the rest of the season. I would love to be able to feel that way too but then I look a the amount of money I have spent this year and I have a hard time justifying that statement. Not to mention, how are you OK with the financial impact that would have on this team when people stop coming to games or season ticket holders downgrade or give them up all together because there are better things to do with those entertainment dollars.

We may be headed there anyway - but it's a different ballgame when people are saying they WANT it to happen. I just don't get it. I am sick over what is happening right now but I could never say I want it continue. It just doesn't make sense for the future of this team.