The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hurricanes30

What to do about the LOSING Streak

My plan.

Hope to god that Karmanos sells this team to Jim Goodnight.

Fire Jim Rutherford

Ron Francis GM

Jeff Daniels Asst. GM

John Tortorella Head Coach

Tom Rowe Asst. Coach

Tom Barasso Asst. Coach

Brind`amour and Wallin retire.

Eaves, Walker and Kaberle traded.

As for the forwards:

Keep Samsonov, Ruutu, Staal, Cullen, Williams, Whitney, and Sutter.

Trade (Eaves, Larose, prospects, pick) for Andy McDonald`s rights and re-sign him.

Sign Erik Cole (He wants to come back...discount) or Call up Zac Boychuk

Sign "Big Name wing" in the $4-5.5 M range (Tanguay, Havlat, Gaborik)

Sign Stephanne Yelle

Call up Tim Conboy

Samsonov(2.5)-Staal(8.25)"A"-Ruutu(3.5)"A"

"Big Name"(4.5)-McDonald(3)-Williams(3.5)

Whitney(3.55)-Cullen(2.8)-Boychuk(1.225)/Cole(2.2)

Yelle(.8)-Sutter(1.225)"A"-Helminen(.5)

Total 35.35-36.325

Defense

Keep Corvo, Gleason, Pitkanen, Babchuk, Seidenberg. Call up Brett Carson.

Pitkanen(4)-Gleason(2.75)"C"

Corvo(2.65)-Seidenberg(2.5)

Babchuk(2)-Carson(.55)

Total 14.425

Goalies

Trade/Release Leighton

Sign Capable Backup (Raycroft, Sanford, Dubielewicz, Johnson, Garon)

Ward(2.667)

Backup(1)

Total 3.667

This team is close. This one year revamp is possible, if not probable. Our defense will be amazing next year. The forward group is fairly young. McDonald is a perfect second line center, with Cullen not far behind there will be competition. All 6 Wingers would provide for competition and constant scoring stability. Yelle and Sutter would be a good grinding fourth line and penalty killing combo, and Helminen provides speed and ability to step into the top 9.

If any prospect comes to camp able to take the spot of anyone i listed, then they should be on the team (Bowman, McBain, Terry, Murphy).

The Cap hit would be near 54-55 Million. It is going to take some spending to win. If Whitney could be moved for a cheaper, younger wing, we would be close to the spending goal below the cap.

I'm with you on most of that, especially firing Rutherford. I think he's made some terrible decisions since 06. The only thing that discourages me is that I believe Ward is way over rataed. The skaters cant win if there is a 4-1, 5-1, etc deficit every night. I think Leighton is the best goalie in the AHL and he should go back down where he can be a starter. Ward should be in the backup position. He is an excellent backup or even tandem goalie. He simply cannot sustain wins for a team by being a started. He's had two and a half season to prove worthy of being a starter and hasn't come through. It has been mediocre hockey since 06 and I know that it isn't all Ward's fault by any means, but it's something that needs to be considered. I promise we'll have mediocre hockey as long as he is the starter. I'm with you on the defensive pairings. One thing I wish was that Brookbank was a more skilled player. We need a skilled and tough defensemen besides Gleason.

Well, before we tell you why we believe he is, how about you tell us why you believe he's not. Despite that incoherent rant, you don't appear to give any evidence as to why other than "He's just not".

The evidence for why he is is simple. Earlier this month, we actually played defensive hockey. We played smart, we didn't give up odd-man chances, and we kept grade A chances to a minimum. And by some coincidence, I'm sure, Ward's stats greatly improved.

All I'm saying is that we've played mediocre hockey since he became the started. The skaters can't overcome 5-0, 5-1, 4-1 deficits night after night. I think Ward is a great backup or even tandem goaltender. The only time he has been "stellar" as Tripp likes to put it, is during the 06 playoffs when Gerber was sick. Ward came in during the playoffs and did some of the best goaltending I've ever seen. I just don't think he has the skill and endurance to carry a team as the starter. He is consistently inconsistent. I'm a backup goaltender on my team but I normally play defense and I know that the goaltender can't be relied upon to stop every puck. Defense has got to step up and get some things done too.

-28 from brindy, I dunno.

Just a thought, at least Cam had a run of 15 excellent games in a row (estimate) whats the last strech of good games our C gave us?

Daniel Briere returns to the lineup on Tuesday, meaning the Flyers will have to jettison about $2 million in salary via trade or waivers. - Philadelphia Inquirer

Am sure JR is watching the wires - wouldn't mean that he would act though

I hate to admit it, but I almost want them to lose because once they get a WIN, everyone will think all is well, until that next 4 game losing streak comes along. Nothing is fixed, we need a new formula, and it comes in the way of a few new players! I think the same 'ole tired line-up is the reason we can't play consitant enough because no one in the locker room seems to want to stand up and say, HEY GUYS, WE ARE STINKING IT UP OUT THERE, LET'S GO!!! Playoffs don't matter right now, just getting the focus back on playing hockey with a little more fortitude. I hope the off-season brings change... so we can put an end to the circus this team has turned into (ie; Karmanos' comments; coaching CHANGEs;etc.). This team needs more stabiity!! Get a move on Karmanos and fix these problems!!! GO 'CANES!!!!!!!!!

Obama said he'll tackle this job :P:lol::D

Daniel Briere returns to the lineup on Tuesday, meaning the Flyers will have to jettison about $2 million in salary via trade or waivers. - Philadelphia Inquirer

Interesting, this is about the time we brought in Samsonov last year too.

The flyers will most likely put a forwad on waivers since Briere is coming back hopefully it is someone the canes could pick up that would help the team.

I dont think you want him, hurt all the time and the Flyers grossly overpaid for him.

Maybe its just me but here is what I don't understand.

Eric Staal

Staal is inconsistent but cannot be benched or pushed because Rod is getting away with playing poorly. Staal also has no competition within the team that would cause him to play hard every night because honestly he can get away with giving it 70% and still do better than most guys on our team. Now our response is....he gets paid the big bucks its his job to play and produce every night. But teams in a lot of sports will invest in one position/star player and turn around and invest/trade/sign another player in the same position to produce friendly competition. Not only do they do this for competition within but also as a safety net in case their star player is lost due to an injury. This is something we should have done or do soon to reap the benefits of our investment in Staal.

Rod Brind'Amour

Brind'Amour is 38 and coming off an injury and hasn't seemed to find his game since 2006 and has been worse since his injury. We keep playing him every night for half the season as if he were 33-35 years old and 100% healthy. Once management finally decided that Rod was not helping the team by being on the ice 20+ minutes a game they cut his ice time. They only cut it LATE in the game once the opposing team put a few in our net. Today they use the same strategy but decided to drop him down to the 3rd line and cut everyones minutes. Its obvious that Rod brings down the other players on his line. Now managment comes up with a better idea. They decide to switch up the lines and move Ruutu down with Rod. As a team we need to maximize production with the few/one consistent players we have (RUUTU). Moving him down means less TOI and less production because his line is inadequate.

MY POINT - we are working around Brindy hoping he gets back up to speed but what for? Rod has never been a superstar caliber player and never will be. His skills have been slowly deminishing every year since the cup. When he was healthy he was putting up very average numbers but was very inconsistent and still below average when you look at his production based on TOI. EVEN the little bit he contributed before the injury was due to the talent on his left and right that made up for what he lacked. Had Cullen been on the same line and getting the same TOI as Rod last year.....Cullen would have doubled the production.

Why are we wasting a season around a single player who isn't going to give back much anyways? Don't tell me its because he is the Captain and the heart and soul of the team. He is going through the motions and seems scared to death when he gets the puck. He is bringing the ENTIRE team down so its not his leadership. He hasn't been the same in YEARS so don't blame the injury. It doesn't take a genius to understand that favoritism kills motivation yet management can't seem to understand why our team is not playing well and fans are getting sick of watching the guys half *edit* it out there. Can somone please tell me what managment is expecting in return for a guy who is clearly always going to be a liability on the ice?