The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Carolina-Canuck

NHL Outdoors - Sabres Penguins Jan 1, 2008

wow who woulda guessed those two teams? lol. idc who plays i love the outdoor games tho. can't wait to watch it. they should do a vintage game like they did a few years ago.

why are they doing it on a tuesday? i know it's new year's day but alot of people will still be working

Good luck to them competing with one of the biggest football days of the year. I sure hope the powers that be weren't thinking even the great Sid the Kid could disrupt the viewing of bowl games.

Good luck to them competing with one of the biggest football days of the year. I sure hope the powers that be weren't thinking even the great Sid the Kid could disrupt the viewing of bowl games.

Outback Bowl 11:00

Cotton Bowl 11:30

Gator Bowl 1:00

Capital One Bowl: 1:00

Rose Bowl 4:30

Ice Bowl 1:00

So it'll be on the 2nd half ot the Outback and Cotton Bowls. It will compete head on with the Gator and Capital One Bowls. Fortunetly the Rose Bowl, the biggest bowl of the night, starts at 4:30 and the Ice Bowl would be done by then.

Question. Did they call it the "Ice Bowl" because they planned it during the BCS or was that just a couincidence?

So it'll be on the 2nd half ot the Outback and Cotton Bowls. It will compete head on with the Gator and Capital One Bowls. Fortunetly the Rose Bowl, the biggest bowl of the night, starts at 4:30 and the Ice Bowl would be done by then.

Question. Did they call it the "Ice Bowl" because they planned it during the BCS or was that just a couincidence?

Like I said, tough competition.

Like I said, tough competition.

It's kind of interesting how while I'm pretty sure almost all of Canada will be tuned in to this, most Americans will not, despite the fact that such a historical event will be taking place on American soil between two American teams. It's kind of depressing...haha

Well, I personally don't care what kind of lame football is on TV that day because hopefully I will be there. haha :)

I'm hoping that Ryan Miller's previous outdoor experience (the "Cold War" game between MSU and Michigan in 2001) will give the Sabres an edge. lol

I'll be one to watch the Ice bowl over any other bowls even if Buffalo is playing :P

I perfer hockey over football, and especially perfer hockey over college football. Funny that I've lived in Raleigh for 16 years and have never really gotten into the whole college football/basketball thing. I just don't care for basketball and like NFL over college football. Now I do have my college basketball team for the ACC and NCAA tournaments that I pull for, but honestly I don't start paying attention until then.

Going back on topic here, for those that are getting to go. Dress very warmly. I'd imagine that it will be freezing. But then again you Buffalo people do sit in freezing weather to watch the Bills continue to loose..HAHA. But seriously, when I lived in Ohio, I went to a Browns game and that day happened to be like 1 degree or something crazy like that and I was just miserable. It was too freakin cold. My hot chocolate stayed hot for like a total of 15 seconds, no lie.

Me, I'll be sitting in my warm house, sitting on my comfy couch and drinking hot chocolate watching the Pens kick some Slug butt. :P

I'll be one to watch the Ice bowl over any other bowls even if Buffalo is playing :P

I perfer hockey over football, and especially perfer hockey over college football. Funny that I've lived in Raleigh for 16 years and have never really gotten into the whole college football/basketball thing. I just don't care for basketball and like NFL over college football. Now I do have my college basketball team for the ACC and NCAA tournaments that I pull for, but honestly I don't start paying attention until then.

Going back on topic here, for those that are getting to go. Dress very warmly. I'd imagine that it will be freezing. But then again you Buffalo people do sit in freezing weather to watch the Bills continue to loose..HAHA. But seriously, when I lived in Ohio, I went to a Browns game and that day happened to be like 1 degree or something crazy like that and I was just miserable. It was too freakin cold. My hot chocolate stayed hot for like a total of 15 seconds, no lie.

Me, I'll be sitting in my warm house, sitting on my comfy couch and drinking hot chocolate watching the Pens kick some Slug butt. :P

At least my Bills are consistent

What the ___ are they thinking... I LOVE hockey, am a Canes STH, get Center Ice Package, etc... and I will have a tough time flipping over to a hockey game in the middle of what is the most important day in College football. They will get very few committed hockey fans and NO casual hockey fans to tune into this in the US.

Another absolute brilliant frickin move by Gary and his braintrust!

What the ___ are they thinking... I LOVE hockey, am a Canes STH, get Center Ice Package, etc... and I will have a tough time flipping over to a hockey game in the middle of what is the most important day in College football. They will get very few committed hockey fans and NO casual hockey fans to tune into this in the US.

Maybe that's why they picked the Sabres to play. After all, they are the self-proclaimed champs at selling out their games :P . I'm pretty sure the majority of the rest of the country's sports fans will be glued to college bowl games. The choice of Pittsburgh is self explanatory, I'm sure many of the Pittsburgh fans will be going to the game sporting the latest styles in the Sydney Crosby clothing line.

bmb2jn, why is this game considered historic? Or is that just to the folks of Buffalo?

Maybe that's why they picked the Sabres to play. After all, they are the self-proclaimed champs at selling out their games :P . I'm pretty sure the majority of the rest of the country's sports fans will be glued to college bowl games. The choice of Pittsburgh is self explanatory, I'm sure many of the Pittsburgh fans will be going to the game sporting the latest styles in the Sydney Crosby clothing line.

bmb2jn, why is this game considered historic? Or is that just to the folks of Buffalo?

What the ___ are they thinking... I LOVE hockey, am a Canes STH, get Center Ice Package, etc... and I will have a tough time flipping over to a hockey game in the middle of what is the most important day in College football.

I will be watching both - I have a feeling our Picture in Picture will be getting quite the workout that day!

Buffalo is probally going to be the only market in the country where Hockey's going to beat College Football in ratings that day so yeah the Sabres are the obvious choice.

The revenue created from this game could equal that of an entire playoff round so I'm not concerend about ratings.

The rest of the country will be watching there "bowl games". I guess the "Ice Bowl" is ours.

This has the potential to break the all time Ice Hockey attendence record. How many times do you see games played outside? Many Buffalo fans will take this game as seriously as a Stanley Cup game.

Buffalo is probally going to be the only market in the country where Hockey's going to beat College Football in ratings that day so yeah the Sabres are the obvious choice.

The revenue created from this game could equal that of an entire playoff round so I'm not concerend about ratings.

The rest of the country will be watching there "bowl games". I guess the "Ice Bowl" is ours.

This has the potential to break the all time Ice Hockey attendence record. How many times do you see games played outside? Many Buffalo fans will take this game as seriously as a Stanley Cup game.

Other ice bowls included? Hard to compare numbers of a hockey arena to a football stadium.

Anyway, good for the Sabres getting the revenue while they can. Any extra revenue is helpful to the league.

Other ice bowls included? Hard to compare numbers of a hockey arena to a football stadium.

Anyway, good for the Sabres getting the revenue while they can. Any extra revenue is helpful to the league.

I believe that a record was set with the MSU/Michigan game with 70,000 something people. I know that the Edmonton game didn't have that many.

Michigan vs. Michigan State 74,544

Edmonton vs. Montreal 57,000

Ralph Wilson Stadium's capacity is 73,967.

Been to many Hurricanes games and it is LOUD inside (~10,000 people)would be fun to see/hear 74,000 hockey fans (~5-7x that)screaming there heads off!

I would love to go to this game but growing up in Buffalo the weather is way to unpredictable to drive the family in the motorhome up there, we might get stuck until SPRING!

Would be cool if it snowed during the game like when we were kids on the backyard rink. Had to stop and shovel the rink every 10 min or so.

Hopefully it goes through and they televise it should be fun game to watch.

John

You guys.....if this was a regular season game, would you watch it if it wasn't outside? Sabers/Pens fans excluded, of course. I'm asking because unless it's broadcast in HD and surround sound, it won't look or sound very good. The lighting will be bad and the crowd won't be seen or heard on TV very well (just like the Michigan/Mich State game). So.....you are basically getting a regular season game of Buff. vs. Pitt. and nothing else. Are you seriously going to pick that over the bowl games? It will be cool to see for a few minutes just to see what it looks like, but that's it, in my humble opinion. I hate to be so negative, but this is just a ploy to get viewers, and I feel it's a bad one at that.