The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Carolina-Canuck

NHL Outdoors - Sabres Penguins Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, im gonna watch it if i have the chance. I would much rather watch hockey (even the slugs) over college bowl games. Being a tarheel fan, you get used to NOT watching college bowl games. ;) Who cares if its in HD or not? I dont. My TV doesnt get HD anyways. Speaking of "ploys to get viewers", IMHO thats all HD is anyways. I know grass is green, why do i need to buy a really expensive TV to show me just how green?? or to show me little beads of sweat on closeups of athletes? Do i REALLY need to see THAT good? Just a ploy. <_< Im guessing your not gonna watch the game and if so, thats your right, but why knock us ppl that will? Maybe your not even knocking us, but thats just how i read your comment. Sorry if i took it wrong. :P

Yeah, I'm not knocking anyone. I just don't see the allure of a outdoor game. Sure, it's a unique thing and it's pretty cool if I could go to it, but for TV I don't see it being all that great. I love HD TV and don't look at it as a "ploy" since the FCC will be requiring all stations to go to it eventually. HD makes EVERY TV show look better. You don't NEED to see every blade of grass, but why not have it if you can. I don't NEED $5 million dollars, but I'd take it if I had the chance! ;) Sorry if it came across as too negative. I hate appearing negative because I'm not that type of person. Enjoy the game. I'll probably be watching football.....in HD :P

Hockey is the one sport where HD really makes a difference. This is why the league just spent millions of dollars to upgrade the video replay system at every rink across the NHL....just my two cents.

Hockey is the one sport where HD really makes a difference. This is why the league just spent millions of dollars to upgrade the video replay system at every rink across the NHL....just my two cents.

You guys.....if this was a regular season game, would you watch it if it wasn't outside? Sabers/Pens fans excluded, of course. I'm asking because unless it's broadcast in HD and surround sound, it won't look or sound very good. The lighting will be bad and the crowd won't be seen or heard on TV very well (just like the Michigan/Mich State game). So.....you are basically getting a regular season game of Buff. vs. Pitt. and nothing else. Are you seriously going to pick that over the bowl games? It will be cool to see for a few minutes just to see what it looks like, but that's it, in my humble opinion. I hate to be so negative, but this is just a ploy to get viewers, and I feel it's a bad one at that.

People like 300section, Colseylarosefan, CMSynergy, Dogbutler, Nashcountycane1 are going to watch because they love hockey. Even if it was inside they'd probally watch it.

Like Bag12day said ONLY HARDCORE HOCKEY FANS are going to watch.

Buffalo was the obvious choice to host this game. The Universty of Buffalo Bulls is a complete joke and hell would have to freeze over before they reach a bowl game. I know only a few College Football fans up here and most of them are casual fans. Most of the area is obsessed with hockey.

Hardcore Pens fans will watch but there won't be a lot of casual fans watching. Especially if the University of Pittburgh Panthers or the Penn State Nittany Lions earns a bowl bid at that time.

Let's see... Pittsburgh has some of the best young players of our generation(Staal, Malkin, and as much as it pains me to say it; Crosby), and Buffalo has, erm, a 'theatrical flair'. So Yeah, I'd watch it. Hopefully I can get it in spite of Comcast. =D

from Sabres.com:

"The National Hockey League will make a major announcement concerning a special event on Monday, September 17th at 2 p.m.

The press conference will be held at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Log on to Sabres.com on Monday for full coverage of the event. "

Sweet!

They're going to have the announcement September 17th. The Press Conference is at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

http://sabres.nhl.com/''>http://sabres.nhl.com/' target="_blank">http://sabres.nhl.com/[/post]

I thought they were going to make it September 10th. They might be making some changes or something.

It could only be one of two things:

1) they finally smartened up and changed the date of the game from the biggest college football game day

or

2) the Sabre's found a captain to replace Briere and Drury

Sorry guys....couldn't help myself :P

They're going to have the announcement September 17th. The Press Conference is at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

http://sabres.nhl.com/''>http://sabres.nhl.com/' target="_blank">http://sabres.nhl.com/[/post]

I thought they were going to make it September 10th. They might be making some changes or something.

It could only be one of two things:

1) they finally smartened up and changed the date of the game from the biggest college football game day

or

2) the Sabre's found a captain to replace Briere and Drury

Sorry guys....couldn't help myself :P

from Sabres.com:

"The National Hockey League will make a major announcement concerning a special event on Monday, September 17th at 2 p.m.

The press conference will be held at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Log on to Sabres.com on Monday for full coverage of the event. "

Sweet!

I'm waiting for Bettmen to announce that Buffalo Sabres will play the Buffalo Bills in order to compete with college football.

I also think the Sabres would beat the Bills LOL

I'm waiting for Bettmen to announce that Buffalo Sabres will play the Buffalo Bills in order to compete with college football.

I also think the Sabres would beat the Bills LOL

egh...I've been suffering from a migraine for about a week now, that that game yesterday DID NOT help. I was not expecting the Bills to suck this bad. They're so awful, not only would Notre Dame beat the Bills, they would straight up OWN them...

Anywayyysss.... I'll be getting my tickets tomorrow at 10 :) I'm hoping to get seats in about the $60 area...hope thats not too close so that i cant see anything. lol

Well it's still January 1st. The NHL will have this game compete with College Football.

Oh well just another reason to get Bettman fired.

Folks have complained about how silly it was to put this game on New Year's Day because of the College Bowl games. Don't forget, College Football abandoned New Year's Day as it's big bowl game day -- the BCS championship game has been held after New Year's Day for many years now. In 2008, the BCS Championship Game will be on January 8. So the NHL may be able to start a niche of a new tradition by having an outdoor game on New Years Day.

My question, though, is what about the weather -- heavy snow in Buffalo is not out of the realm, what do they do? Cancel?

Folks have complained about how silly it was to put this game on New Year's Day because of the College Bowl games. Don't forget, College Football abandoned New Year's Day as it's big bowl game day -- the BCS championship game has been held after New Year's Day for many years now. In 2008, the BCS Championship Game will be on January 8. So the NHL may be able to start a niche of a new tradition by having an outdoor game on New Years Day.

My question, though, is what about the weather -- heavy snow in Buffalo is not out of the realm, what do they do? Cancel?

If the weather is bad then the game will probally be moved to Feburary 17th. The next time the Sabres and Penguins meet.

It's already sold out <_<

What makes me angrier is that THEY RESERVED TICKETS FOR MAPLE LEAFS AND BLUE JAYS season ticket holders.

UMMM why RESERVE hockey tickets to BASEBALL FANS????

THIS IS A GAME BETWEEN THE BUFFALO SABRES AND THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS. WHY BRING IN TORONTO FANS??

I DIDN'T GET TICKETS BECAUSE OF THIS!

NICE WORK BETTMAN, QUINN & NHL :angry: :angry: :angry:

What makes me angrier is that THEY RESERVED TICKETS FOR MAPLE LEAFS AND BLUE JAYS season ticket holders.

UMMM why RESERVE hockey tickets to BASEBALL FANS????

THIS IS A GAME BETWEEN THE BUFFALO SABRES AND THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS. WHY BRING IN TORONTO FANS??

I DIDN'T GET TICKETS BECAUSE OF THIS!

NICE WORK BETTMAN, QUINN & NHL :angry: :angry: :angry:

Because the reason they selected Buffalo was based on its location and access to as many US and Candien markets as possible. They are counting on over half of the ticket sales to come from across the border and are marketing it there as such. I know this is big for Buffalo but the real sale, according to Betteman himself, is Sidney Crosby and the Southern Ontario/W New York location. There are real concerns that Buffalo cannot handle the influx of people that will come from across the border so they're hoping that it will also be a nice boost for lower Ontario who will most certainly take all the overflow. Many of the target audience is estimated to live 1-1 1/2 hours away from the stadium which will also aid in selling tickets and not over stressing local hotels.

Don't get me wrong, I think they picked the perfect venue and location for this and I really do hope that gives a nice boost the local economy in Buffalo. All this came from the press conference from Bettman, Quinn and some other guy that I cant remember. The fact that NBC has agreed to pick this up is huge and I can definately see this being advertised as the Sidney Crosby Ice Bowl. As long it helps sell the sport, Im all for it.