The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cane-addict-1

2009 Draft

I've heard Zack Kassian's name mentioned quite a bit in draft discussions on another board. He certainly would add size to our currently under-sized pool of forward prospects. My only hope is that they will allow him extended time to develop and not make the same mistake they did with Ladd.

Jared Cowen is a 6 foot 5 inch defenceman who would be nice to have but some reports have him in the top 3... We'd really have to tank to get him.

You are forgetting one thing. JR never drafts defensemen in 1st round. This is against his beliefs.

Besides, we need forwards now.

I just really hope we dont end up with another repeat of last year, where we are the last team not to make the playoffs and get the worst possible draft pick of those non-playoff teams. I would love to get into the playoffs this year, even as an 8th seed and having to play Boston, but if its not going to happen I would hope we wont make the same mistake as last year.

Forget about getting in the Top 5. The teams that are getting them have been gunning for them since Day 1.

We may be able to squeeze into a Top 10 spot. If so, we've really got to be gunning for Evander Kane. If we could pick him up, I really like our future. Schenn and Ellis are also going to be really good players. If we grab any of those 3, we're in business.

Forget about getting in the Top 5. The teams that are getting them have been gunning for them since Day 1.

We may be able to squeeze into a Top 10 spot. If so, we've really got to be gunning for Evander Kane. If we could pick him up, I really like our future. Schenn and Ellis are also going to be really good players. If we grab any of those 3, we're in business.

Right now we hold the 11th pick, but we're only 10 points out of a top 3 pick. We keep playing like we've played the past five and it won't be difficult for us to fall back to one of those spots.

The Islanders have clearly got the #1 pick in their hands. They were a terrible team with Dipietro, and now that Dipietro's gone, they'll be even worse. The only way they're not getting #1 overall is if the lottery screws them over.

Next is Atlanta and Ottawa. Since it's obvious the playoffs are out of the picture for them, they'll become sellers at the deadline. They'll sell off the only players that have gotten them this far (Kovalchuk, Spezza, etc), and by doing that, will become worse than they already are.

And past that, we've got 8 other teams between us and them. Everything would have to go right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) for us to grab a Top 3 pick.

With things looking more and more like the Canes will miss the playoffs, I decided to cheer myself up by looking at possible prospects we could acquire this off season. Don't know if any of our picks will be ready to play 09-10 but in the very least we have something to look forward to.

List of the likely top 30: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11679[/post]

Here is a list of the top ten likely draft picks with a little blurb on each: http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=4844

Where do you think we will fall in the draft? 10th? 11th? 12th?

Who should we pick? I personally know very little about any of these guys except what you see here. Perhaps someone else has some insight.

Jordan Schroeder stands out in that list as a Canes type player...5'8" 175lbs forward. Does it really matter where the Canes pick??? Wonder how high their scouts are on this kid?!?

Jordan Schroeder stands out in that list as a Canes type player...5'8" 175lbs forward. Does it really matter where the Canes pick??? Wonder how high their scouts are on this kid?!?

Bingo. Look for the smallest skilled forward and you will find our draft pick. Count on it.