The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac59

Time to Eat some Crow (Again)!

Welcome aboard the Ward wagon....from those of us who never jumped off in the first place.

That said, he's still very young and is probably going to struggle w/ consistency for several years. However, if he is able to continue to shake off early goals (like is prone to giving up), then he will give his team a chance to work their way back into the game.

There were three reasons why I, along with others, was not a big fan of Cam Ward.

1. He let in silly goals that should never be a goal.

2. His rebound control was awful and he put out rebounds on shots that he should easily handle.

3. His confidence was very bad and his mindset was not right.

Clearly these three things are majorly improved especially 2 and 3. 1 has happened a few times (see the Edmonton game) but everyone will make mistakes.

He is playing like an all star this year and I would give him team MVP if I had a vote. He has single handidly won us games we had no business winning (see at Atlanta before New Years) and in no way cost us a single game (well the Edmonton game was kinda bad, but we only had one goal that game).

He has proved he can do it the playoffs and he is now proving he can do it for a few months in a row. Can he do it for 2 - 3 years in a row? That is still left to be seen.

LaRose is starting to score and everytime an energy / grinder / PK guy scores, you see it as a huge bonus. If he keeps up his pace putting pucks in the net he won't be in Carolina after his contract is over.

What Ivyleaguer said. While some came with their scapegoat glasses only to blast Ward for his struggles, many got that that struggles werent only about him and also about the team about in front of him. Its interesting that we're now being asked to eat crow after being lambasted for our opinions of Ward early on.

As for Larose, he's picked his game up and making the most of every shift. Thats what this year and his one-year contract was all about for him. He had to prove beyond question that he is deserving of more money, more minutes and the third line. He's doing a good job and if he can keep it up, he'll be rewarded at the end of the season. If not here, than somewhere that can afford him.

I think most people that were skeptical and realistic have been praising him for his successes along the way.

What Ivyleaguer said. While some came with their scapegoat glasses only to blast Ward for his struggles, many got that that struggles werent only about him and also about the team about in front of him. Its interesting that we're now being asked to eat crow after being lambasted for our opinions of Ward early on.

As for Larose, he's picked his game up and making the most of every shift. Thats what this year and his one-year contract was all about for him. He had to prove beyond question that he is deserving of more money, more minutes and the third line. He's doing a good job and if he can keep it up, he'll be rewarded at the end of the season. If not here, than somewhere that can afford him.

I think most people that were skeptical and realistic have been praising him for his successes along the way.

Realistically, I don't see Chad back here next year. I really like the way he plays, but I don't see it in the cards. I see the same thing happening to him that happened to Aucoin: Previous year's draft pick comes in, Canes eschew you out. Guess that is the nature of things. Goodbye Chad, hello Zach. You just hope the long term benefits outweigh the short term gains of keeping the more experienced person and letting them mature at a lower level.

Just hope Chad's fate is better than Keith's. He's wallowing in the Washington's system. I'd hate to play behind Ovechkin on my depth chart!

Realistically, I don't see Chad back here next year. I really like the way he plays, but I don't see it in the cards. I see the same thing happening to him that happened to Aucoin: Previous year's draft pick comes in, Canes eschew you out. Guess that is the nature of things. Goodbye Chad, hello Zach. You just hope the long term benefits outweigh the short term gains of keeping the more experienced person and letting them mature at a lower level.

Just hope Chad's fate is better than Keith's. He's wallowing in the Washington's system. I'd hate to play behind Ovechkin on my depth chart!

Man I hope not....Larose is heads and shoulders better than Aucoin(IMO). Though you never know, if Brind'amour steps down then that could leave an opening for both.

I admire LaRose's work ethic, but I still think there is a major question mark everytime the puck hits his stick. For every set-up that he puts in the back of the net, there are two or three prime opportunities that die on his stick. I still view him as a solid energy player, who can net points when there are better players around him to feed him the puck. You can find players like that throughout the NHL, AHL, and ECHL. So, with that said, I don't think Rutherford should make any significant attempt to re-sign LaRose if he asks for a raise.

IMO Zach is nowhere near ready for the NHL, I watched alomost every minute of the junior championships in the last week or so and yes he is good but he wasn't outstanding in the tourney. He also needs to put some size on and get alot more minutes before he is ready for the NHL. Like i said this is only my opinion but i didn't hear any of the commentators or anyone talk about how he is ready for the NHL like they did about a few of the other players. That being said i think Chad is alot more on the safe side than say Eaves or Bayda.But who knows i may be having another order of crow myself! ;)

I admire LaRose's work ethic, but I still think there is a major question mark everytime the puck hits his stick. For every set-up that he puts in the back of the net, there are two or three prime opportunities that die on his stick. I still view him as a solid energy player, who can net points when there are better players around him to feed him the puck. You can find players like that throughout the NHL, AHL, and ECHL. So, with that said, I don't think Rutherford should make any significant attempt to re-sign LaRose if he asks for a raise.

Oh, so you don't think JR rewards hard work by lavishing money on the player at the end of the season? Me either. I like the work that Chad is doing, but reward him with more money and keep high draft picks in the minors makes no sense to me.

While we are handing out Kudos, does anyone think these 2 guys did it all on their own? Coaches Tom B. and Ron f. had something to do with their success.

Oh, so you don't think JR rewards hard work by lavishing money on the player at the end of the season? Me either. I like the work that Chad is doing, but reward him with more money and keep high draft picks in the minors makes no sense to me.

That was just my nice way of saying that if he thinks he is worth more than he really is, show him the door in the offseason. I completely expect that to happen as well since, from what most say, that is what happened this past offseason.

I only think crow-eating in in order for anyone who thought Ward would never amount to anything. Some of us thought that he had the skills but simply wasn't playing up to them. I for one think this for the two seasons prior to this one. Now, it may be unfair to expect a goalie of his age to excel as a #1, and expectations may have been too high after his brilliant SC playoff run, but he was a poor #1 for those seasons. He did have a couple of nice runs last year at the beginning and toward the end, but on balance poor.

This year, different story. He is playing much more consistantly and far fewer soft goals (obviously every goalie gives up softies occasionally). He is a very solid #1 goalie this year. Not at the top of the pack, but very solidly in the middle, which historically is all we would have needed the past two years to make the playoffs. This is a great thing.

LaRose? I might have to taste a little crow on him. I had really come to beleive that he was more of a 4th liner than a 3rd liner, but he is finding the net much more this year and his effort is infectious. His numbers are almost identical to Cullen's with only a few more games. I still think he's more of a third and 1/2 liner, but I am very comfortable with him on the third line.

Ok...I will be honest and tell on myself. Although I never said anything about Ward on the boards.....I did complain about Wards play this year. I never questioned that he did not have the skills to play, I just questioned if he had the skills to be an every day every year stoppable goalie. Lately, he has shown me wrong. So I stick out my tray to the lunch lady and get my heaping helping of crow.

I do, however, think that we need to get a veteran goalie to sit behind Cam. Not becasue of cam's skills, but if he gets hurt again I am not sold on Leighton being our guy. I just think about when Gerber went down we all had confidence in Cam coming in. I don;t feel that way with Michael. I guess that might be my next meal of Crow. If that happends, I will gladly eat that.

I am not yet ready to eat crow about Cam, maybe just a small taste though. He has been impressive the last 10 games or so. But, based upon past let downs, I will hold off on the crow consumption until the end of the season. I do, however, hope Cam proves me wrong, in which case I will gladly eat a pterodactyl-sized crow with a serving of raven in the side.

I am not yet ready to eat crow about Cam, maybe just a small taste though. He has been impressive the last 10 games or so. But, based upon past let downs, I will hold off on the crow consumption until the end of the season. I do, however, hope Cam proves me wrong, in which case I will gladly eat a pterodactyl-sized crow with a serving of raven in the side.

I will completely agree. Lets not get our hopes up, lets see Ward-o play some really good hockey for a longer period of time. Ill be honest ive been impressed with him, no doubting that, but lots of goalies can have brilliant streaks and then falter in the long run. I hope Ward proves me completely wrong. As for Larose, never really liked him, but i've come around to him this year. Solid energy guy, 3rd line forward at best though. I appreciate the effort he gives the team. Hopefully the Canes continue their good play of late.

I think Chad LaRose has showed those who thought he was "nothing but a 5 minute 4th line player and thats all he will ever be" to what some of us knew already knew he was---a solid 3rd line player who can step up temporarily to the 2nd line if needed and be depended upon to get things done. I for one am very proud to have him on this team and I'm sure will be offered more money at season's end for all of his hard work, unless we get desperate and trade him as a "good player" along with another player (Eaves and/or Kaberle) to get a powerplay forward or defenseman next month. He derserves to get more respect along with more salary even if that means he has to sign with another team. I will always be one of his greatest fans. Go Chucky, go!

I too am a huge Rosie fan. Actually he might be my fav player on the current roster. Id love to see them sign him up for years to come but i dont see how it is going to happen with all the money JR has already wasted on this years team.....1 Mill a year to Melichar, and Eaves come to mind.....I think our beloved Chad LaRose days in Carolina are numbered unless the guy settles for 475k a yr again.

Ok, I just threw up my crow. I am returning it to the lunch lady. I guess I ate too much and have to give some back. Maybe we were right before we ate crow. If he turns it around I will eat some more. But for now, barf!

The worse part about eating CROW is that it tastes terrible going down,,,but having to bring it back up is even worse. So i completely understand "IRISHCANE"..

I was going to start a new thread on LaRose, but then I remembered this one. Fitting since Ward is also back on top of his game. But Chad LaRose....

LaRose is well liked as an energy guy and a fan favorite who brings it every night. He has always been that, but the debate has been can he score at this level. Well, on a team who's forwards scoring is anemic, and with 3rd and even 4th line minutes, Chad LaRose is tied for 4th on the team in goals with Cullen. He is one goal shy of a 20 goal pace. In goals he is outscoring Samsonov, Brind'Amour, Walker, Eaves, and Williams (including adjusting for games played). His shooting percentage at 12.5% is second only to Cullen. Yes the guy can find the net. What I would love to know is his goals/minute of ice time, can't seem to find that (didn't really try though).

In a year where nearly every forward is playing at or below expectations, he (and Ruutu) are the ones clearly playing above expectations. I personally wondered if he had it in him to score at this level. Not anymore, Mr. LaRose you have clearly convinced me. He should be given time on the second line. Perhaps at center (just kidding, just kidding, just kidding, no I'm not, yes I am, maybe he should play all positions at once just kidding just kidding just kidding maybe I'm not kidding just kidding or not just kidding).

But in all seriousness here's to Chad LaRose.

I don't have to eat crow on this one, I've been sold on Chad for a long time. Was a little worried on his contact negotiation that he would get on the bad side of the org and that usually doesn't go too well...

He is very good value for the price and a fan favorite. How can anyone not like a guy who so obviously plays all out all the time, he's the guy we all hope we can be. A guy working harder than the next guy and gaining success through it.

Here's to Chad and others like him, those who weren't blessed with superstar talent but prove to us all that hard work can mean something in this world!

two favorite players rosey and wardo :)

rosey has clearly been one of the best skaters on the

ice all seasonnn he works his butt of every game while

all these other skaters *cough cough* eric staal ect.

are just hanging out relaxinng doing whateverrr...

so good for you guys out there

finally relizing where its at

#59 and good ol #30

wahhooooo :)

I've eaten my crow when it comes to Ward, I'm thinking it's time some ate some crow when it comes to LaRose.

Wow has Ward ever proved me wrong as far as being our #1 goalie. I'm very proud of the way he has grown into a great goalie since his injury and rocked this team through some key wins with consistancy! It seems soooo gooood not to have that sick pit in your stomach when he is on the ice. I'm even defending him when it lets some soft goals in now---who would have thunk it? Go Ward-O!

I think Chad LaRose has showed those who thought he was "nothing but a 5 minute 4th line player and thats all he will ever be" to what some of us knew already knew he was---a solid 3rd line player who can step up temporarily to the 2nd line if needed and be depended upon to get things done. I for one am very proud to have him on this team and I'm sure will be offered more money at season's end for all of his hard work, unless we get desperate and trade him as a "good player" along with another player (Eaves and/or Kaberle) to get a powerplay forward or defenseman next month. He derserves to get more respect along with more salary even if that means he has to sign with another team. I will always be one of his greatest fans. Go Chucky, go!

don't speak to soon about Ward, he is now due to play 4 crappy games since he just played 4 good ones. consistent? He's consistently good for a few than consistently bad for a few. Isn't his record 3 and 6 in the last 9? He's a great goalie, but I'm not convinced he's figured out how to be great more than 50% of the time. If he stays hot for the next 5 than I may change my opinion.

I agree with you on Larose, He has been one of the most noticeable players on the ice this year, skating hard, banging bodies, creating plays, to bad the guy dosen't have a better shot or he might be our leading goal scorer!