The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caneshockeyguy

How important is making the playoffs to you?

Like with everthing: it depends.

It depends on how we make the playoffs. If we some how scrape by with our currently constructed team with no changes, I would rather miss. If we are able to upgrade our center position, either though new aquisition or a miraculous return of the old Brind'Amour, then I would absolutely rather make the playoffs, because then anything could happen.

We would need to do this upgrade pretty soon though, because we need to go on a run and get out of the #8 slot, who will be the sacrificial lamb for the Bruins.

As I understand things, if the Canes fail to make the playoffs they do not qualify for the league's revenue sharing program. This was the reason given for the hike in ticket prices this year.

In watching Center Ice, the Kitty Kats have announced a program where their STH can lock in next year's tickets at this year's prices.

If the Canes do not make the playoffs, and unlike last year are bounced from qualifying for them sometime in late February to early March, a hike in STH prices would result in widespread canceling or severe downsizing. Most likely, I would downsize from a 26 game plan to the lowest offered.

If we do not make the playoffs, I would at least like to see the guys go out fighting.... if that makes any sense....

as for ticket hikes, this was the fist year husband and I could do the STH thing and we are loving it! but, if ticket prices shoot really high then we probably wont be able to renew for what we have now and I will hate that because we have become good friends with the people we are sitting next to. Not that being a STH has anything to do with the playoffs but that is my two cents on the results of what will happen if we do not make the playoffs.....

I rather this team tank hard than fight and fight only to miss the playoffs by a point. As much as Boychuk might be a decent player, we really lost out by being the 14th team on the clock. If this team doesn't put it together soon, I'd much rather keep an eye on catching the Islanders for Tavares. As of right now we sit in 10th place 20 points ahead of them, but 6 points out of the 8th spot in the east.

If they just squeek in at 7th or 8th, NO WAY do I extend my season ticket seats for playoff seats. Not worth watching a first round killing in public. I'll watch it on TV and drink cheaper.

Now if they can turn it around, start playing 60 minutes per game, with heart and intensity, with the old Brindy or no Brindy, and some steady goal tending (from whoever !), and make a real run at Washington ... I'll buy my seats for the playoffs.

Making the playoffs is vitally important regardless of position. The playoffs are the clear dividing line between teams that are competitive and those that are not. Miss the playoffs, then your team amounts to a practice squad, thanks for showing up... here's your pay... have a fun summer... see ya later. When a team qualifies for the playoffs, they get to play when there is something to be won...Does anyone actually care who "wins" the President's Trophy?

When 16 teams out of 30 make the playoffs, teams have no excuse to not make the playoffs on a regular basis. If a team makes the playoffs 6 out of 10 years, they are average. A competitive team will make the playoffs at least 7 out of 10 years. Look at Ottawa, a small market team that has made the playoffs 11 years in a row prior to this season. A year or two here or there in rebuilding can be expected for any team, but there is a real problem when a team in the NHL cannot qualify for the playoffs on a consistent basis.

For the Canes, missing the playoffs this season makes 3 years in a row. Management and ownership can claim whatever they'd like to about such a team, but recognized or not a team that misses the playoffs 3 times in a row is in a rebuilding stage (and has been for some time). The stage becomes prolonged when it is blatantly ignored by management and ownership who contrary to what they (and their fans) have seen on the ice fantasize that the team can go "deep into the playoffs." This statement may be a bit harsh, because the Canes are actually built to be better in the playoffs than they are during the regular season. But, the team has to play the regular season to be able to qualify...so it is the responsibility of owners, GMs, and the like to address that issue to actually get into the playoffs.

Making the playoffs has value for several reasons. First, the SC playoffs are unpredictable. The slate is clean and the regular season has no meaning for the playoffs other than seeding. One of my favorite memories is Steve Smith of the Oilers putting the puck in the net off of Grant Fuhr's skate in the final minutes of a tied game 7 against the Calgary Flames. The mistake kept the heavily favored Gretzky-Messier Oilers from winning the 1986 Cup. So, the Canes might be able to take out anyone in the playoffs, however, they need the chance. Second, if this year's Canes team makes the playoffs they will have to have to be hot after the all-star break, so they would be a threat (but that thought at this time is absurd if you ask me). Third, even when knocked out of the playoffs, younger players gain valuable experience for future playoffs for the team because the playoffs are a different season. This experience also increases trade value for these players in future years. Fourth, teams that regularly make the playoffs are attractive to players to play there and to other teams looking for trade partners because the franchise is considered to be a quality organization and not looked to for a "part" here or there that a team might need.

Sorry for the rant, but this is my biggest frustration with this team.

Bottom line, teams that are not capable of making the playoffs for multiple consecutive seasons are subject to termination and transfer to someone who cares. You don't have to win the cup, and you don't have to even make the payoffs every year to be an entertaining team with fan support, but when your team becomes a joke, the eventual end of the franchise begins to take shape. Just like the Whalers from which they came, there comes a point when season ticket holders get harder and harder to find, and there are plenty of places with managements that would love to have an NHL franchise if this one doesn't care enough to play at the NHL level, and who would put their hearts into it.

The Canes have 36 games left in the season and need to put a series of 4 or 5 game win streaks together and allow no more than two or three two game losing streaks to qualify for a playoff berth and certain food for the Bruins in the first round.

If it were possible I would exchange teams with the Rats. This way the Canes would learn how good they have it in riding a chartered jumbo jet and staying at five-star hotels.

If this isn't possible drop, the five star hotel bit. If one is going to get in late does it really matter if the bed is turned down and there is a mint on the pillow?

Just like Coach Mora said

''>
' target="_blank">
[/post]

ROFLMAO

I love that. It's also how I happen to feel about our chances currently. We'll see how tonight's game goes. My espn streak tonight is riding on it. Won't say which way I picked.

I wish the team would show some heart as they have showed very little lately.

I agree

whatever happened, to "Whatever it takes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" from the 05-06 season,that team had has much heart has I have seen out of any professional sports team, in a long time,I wish we could somehow get back to that!!!

I don't think we have to worry about the playoffs, we just need to tank enough to grab Tavares and hope he doesn't decide to suddenly go to college.

IMHO I think we will make the playoffs this year and at least make it till the second round....from there its anyones guess. The team is OK, they just need to make a few changes. lol Can we PLEASE bring Wesley back? ;)

I think its too early to give up and wayyy to early to worry about the team moving or anything of that sort. The canes just need to play 60 minutes of solid hockey instead of 5 minutes good here and there.

We can do it. Last night they played like a team the whole night. That is what it takes.

I think if we get to the playoffs, anything can happen. From the mental side, we have a room that would have that confidence because it's happened before. If Williams and Cullen keep improving, we'll have a solid bunch of scorers who can play d, and that's what you need in the playoffs.

I can't say it's important to me, but I wouldn't complain.

It is very important that we make the playoffs. After missing the playoffs 2 years in a row I can see the fan base and attendance taking hits. If we miss the playoffs we will lose some season ticket holders as well as people on the bubble of buying ticket plans. If this continues I can see hockey totally leaving this area. There are plenty of people around here who don't follow hockey at all and would rather watch college basketball or nascar any day of the week. Nascar is not a sport by the way. If it wasn't for the engine the car wouldn't go anywhere. I grew up watching hockey along with MLB and the NFL. I will always have a mini pack at minimum and will always support the team. I miss the excitement and intensity of the playoffs and I want to see that again this year.

Making the playoffs is VERY important and I can't believe some of you folks think otherwise. It's why you play the games people! I am stunned that this is even a topic for debate. Whether this team will make the playoffs...that is of course debateable but whether it is important? Really? I just don't get that.

The playoffs are important but the canes can't sacrifice the future to make them. Personally I feel they need to push with what they've got and make the any changes from within the organization to do it. They just can't give up the picks or prospects to bring in other players right now because with the teams age and salary they need an infusion of a few good relatively inexpensive players which you don't really get on the market without having to pay an arm and a leg. As for tanking I'm not on the bandwagon of doing it on purpose because there is no way the canes can catch the Islanders for last, even if they trade the rest of the current talent away. The canes should play out the string and see where it takes them.

In this market it is virtually impossibe to turn a profit without making the playoffs. Anyone who wants hockey to stay has to root for the playoffs every season. I know that is not realistic but 1 out of 4 years does not cut it, it needs to be over 50% of the time. We are already two straight non playoff seasons in a row, a few more and this team will be looking for a new city.

Vitally important. Not just because how great an experience the playoffs are, but another year of missing the playoffs will further erode the progress the team made in '06 in terms of raising its profile in the area. The organization needs the $$ from those home playoff games even if we don't go far. Making the playoffs once out of five years won't cut it.

Making the playoffs is VERY important and I can't believe some of you folks think otherwise. It's why you play the games people! I am stunned that this is even a topic for debate. Whether this team will make the playoffs...that is of course debateable but whether it is important? Really? I just don't get that.

I'm with you. It is why you play the games. It is important for the franchise to flourish, the fans to build pride and interest in the team and the players to remain or join a team with a winning tradition. I'll support this team even if they don't make the playoffs but I won't pretend making the playoffs isn't very important.