The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caneshockeyguy

How important is making the playoffs to you?

Making the playoffs is VERY important and I can't believe some of you folks think otherwise. It's why you play the games people! I am stunned that this is even a topic for debate. Whether this team will make the playoffs...that is of course debateable but whether it is important? Really? I just don't get that.

I'm with you. It is why you play the games. It is important for the franchise to flourish, the fans to build pride and interest in the team and the players to remain or join a team with a winning tradition. I'll support this team even if they don't make the playoffs but I won't pretend making the playoffs isn't very important.

Well if making the playoffs is really of such dire importance, then the team will have to go out and find a good second line center. Failure to do this, indicates that the playoffs aren't really that important.

Well if making the playoffs is really of such dire importance, then the team will have to go out and find a good second line center. Failure to do this, indicates that the playoffs aren't really that important.

It remains to be seen if we will be buyers or sellers, but based on what JR said, I get the feeling we'll be sellers.

putting the importance of it aside, theres nothing better than tailgating in april wearing shorts and a t-shirt before a playoff hockey game.

Or having your birthday greeting on the Jumbotron in June. :)

Or having your birthday greeting on the Jumbotron in June. :)

While I moved down here the year of the cup from Cleveland, I couldn't afford to go to a regular season game, let alone a playoff game. Now I can and I am full STH and I would love to experience it. I'll be the first to tell you that as a teacher, I can't afford more than a game or two per round (maybe none of the finals), but I do love walking out of the RBC center and having it not be so cold you can see your breath. I also know that making the playoffs is important for the future of this team in this area. If, however, we are just there to fill a spot in the playoff picture to be the punching bag of the Bruins for 4 games and then go home, I would rather build toward a stronger team that will not only make the playoffs, but win some games. The cup was a glorious achievement. It comes along so rarely. I want a legitimate shot at making it out of round 1. I don't see us doing that this year unless we turn things around like last year and bring in some guys that give 100% every shift they play. Many of those players are in the minors, with us or with another team's AHL team, or benched indefinitely. Current coach's system might not allow those players the same success they had last year. That being said, no one that I know of will argue that watching this team up through the last game (FL CHOKE :angry: ) was not exciting. I just want a commitment from the organization of what they want to do and then hold management responsible for what they did or did not do to achieve that goal.

It remains to be seen if we will be buyers or sellers, but based on what JR said, I get the feeling we'll be sellers.

Selling now would be selling out.

In this market it is virtually impossibe to turn a profit without making the playoffs. Anyone who wants hockey to stay has to root for the playoffs every season. I know that is not realistic but 1 out of 4 years does not cut it, it needs to be over 50% of the time. We are already two straight non playoff seasons in a row, a few more and this team will be looking for a new city.

Which IMO is why PK should not be in this deal if he expects to make a profit yearly in the short term...which I would think is the teams existence in this market for the first 20 years at least. Assuming you should be making a profit while the game is still in its infancy in this area is just crazy.

I agree with the whole "If you build it them will come" philosophy. While I think the team is growing talent well; Staal, Ward and Sutter. PK has to be willing to spend the money to keep quality talent. We can't constantly be building this team around cast offs. This isn't Gilligan's Island.

That being said I would rather this team be in the mix at the end of the year 4 out of 5 years and not be 100% sure we are going to make the playoffs than be comfortably in the playoffs 2 out of 5 and totally out of it the other 3.

I totally agree that making the playoffs is very important. We seem to be quick to talk about whats wrong with our team but we should take some positives about our team. We are not perenial door mats who never even have a sniff at the playoffs. Look at Toronto. They haven't really been close in the past couple of years and they are an original 6 team.

IMO if we are playing well near the deadline and are fighting for a spot JR will make a move. I wouldn't want him to mortgage the future or anything but he could get us some help. If we are not in the hunt he might move some UFA or players he desides will not be part of the future.

If as a fan or an employee of an NHL team your top priority is not making the playoffs you should consider a different game. That being said, this organization has only qualified for the post season once in the last five seasons. If they miss again this year I think it is time for heads to roll, no excuses anymore.

As for those of you saying squeaking in is not good enough. 2003 Ducks, 2004 Flames and 2006 Oilers certainly had pretty good runs for just sneaking in.

As for those of you saying squeaking in is not good enough. 2003 Ducks, 2004 Flames and 2006 Oilers certainly had pretty good runs for just sneaking in.

Exactly! Getting in is the goal even if we are an 8 seed. As a fan of this team you should NEVER suggest that an 8 seed isn't worth it. That's just crazy talk! And even if we lose in four games (God forbid!) that's still four more playoff games than we have had the past two seasons...and you can't beat playoff hockey! Every game has the excitement of a snow day!

Go Canes!

Making the playoffs is everything. Why be a fan if that's not what you are cheering for? Give up hope now and accept failure for what, a better draft pick? Let the Islander fans do that. The Canes aren't out of the hunt - they are capable of holding onto the 8th spot. And I don't care how a team gets in - with flying colors or by the narrowest of margins. Once a team is in, they make their own destiny.

Making the playoffs is extremely important for a variety of reasons. For me, the most important is it increases the chances of the Canes staying in Raliegh. As a lifelong hockey fan who grew up in NC and has spent most if his life here, and as one who is not enanamored with the ACC or any other sport for that matter, the Canes are the only "hometown team" I have.

Making the playoffs is very important. Important for the extra revenue. Important for the fan base. Important for the players.

And for those who went to every playoff game in 2002, knows what can happen. Anything !!!!!!!!

I will be there !!!!

To coin a new word, I may be suffering from "Canes Fatigue" in going out to the RBC and seeing them lose as many games as they won. I know from a fanancial standpoint, it's important they make it to the playoffs but from my fiancial standpoint, I don't know if my pocketbook can take the hit as I just had to buy a set of tires.

I do hope they go on a tear get a mid-level seed and escape being an 8th seed just to get bounced by Boston in the first round. Will need to see what my financial situation is come March and I can use my tax return for playoff tix.

Guess come the Ides of March we will find if the Canes are playoff contenders or pretenders,

I'm drinking a little dose of reality this morning. We're not a BAD team, we're just not good ENOUGH to make the playoffs. On a number of measures, we just not a playoff team:

Goals For? 13th in the conference

Goals Against? 10th in the conference.

Using the Bill James Pythagorean-like hockey formula the guys at www.hockeyanalystics.com propose, we SHOULD win about 43% of our games.

Power Play? 14th in the conference

Penalty Kill? 13th in the conference

Cam Ward has us OVERACHIEVING relative to the 'numbers'

We have the -capability- but we have to win 20 or more of our remaining 33 games in order to be 'safely' in the playoffs, according to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern...Hurricanes.html - and to illustrate the URGENCY of winning, if we win 17 of our remaining games, we most likely still miss the playoffs.

A 3-game margin of error - the difference between a 52% winning percentage the rest of the way and a 60% winning percentage.

Given we're only at a 47% winning percentage today, 60% the rest of the way out would be HUGE.

The next 3-5 games ARE the season for the Hurricanes.

Well, you cant win the Cup without making the playoffs, so.... ;)

I am sure my life, and everyone else's, will continue with or without the playoffs. However, sure would be nice to see a couple of playoff games at the RBC.

I agree and on paper we dont look like a playoff team. The next 3-5 games will likely decide the rest of the season and the only thing working in our favor is that the teams we're battling with arent in much better positions either. Florida gained some momentum with last night's win and Buffalo seems to have found their game lately. It'll all come down to which team puts a win streak together and stays fairly consistent. If the Canes dont get enough points from the next 3-5 games, none of it will matter.

Then we'll just have to focus on what is working and how to make the rest better for next season. In the meantime, we could get some pleasure out playing spoiler for Florida and Buffalo.

To answer the original question, we need playoff revenue desperately so just getting in is pretty important regardless of what they do when they get there. Like Slapper said, the playoffs are everything and the reason they play the regular season so getting there is about as important as it gets.

Without reading the whole thread.

my question is when is this team going to score more goals?

We are like the Fla panthers of the early 90s that did not score a lick

and hoped to win every game 1-0.

This is not good and very frustrating

I'm drinking a little dose of reality this morning. We're not a BAD team, we're just not good ENOUGH to make the playoffs. On a number of measures, we just not a playoff team:

Goals For? 13th in the conference

Goals Against? 10th in the conference.

Using the Bill James Pythagorean-like hockey formula the guys at www.hockeyanalystics.com propose, we SHOULD win about 43% of our games.

Power Play? 14th in the conference

Penalty Kill? 13th in the conference

Cam Ward has us OVERACHIEVING relative to the 'numbers'

We have the -capability- but we have to win 20 or more of our remaining 33 games in order to be 'safely' in the playoffs, according to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Southeast/Hurricanes.html' target="_blank">http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern...Hurricanes.html[/post] - and to illustrate the URGENCY of winning, if we win 17 of our remaining games, we most likely still miss the playoffs.

A 3-game margin of error - the difference between a 52% winning percentage the rest of the way and a 60% winning percentage.

Given we're only at a 47% winning percentage today, 60% the rest of the way out would be HUGE.

The next 3-5 games ARE the season for the Hurricanes.

Winning 20 will give us 40 more points for a total of 91. Last year we missed the playoffs with 92. I'd say we need 20 wins to have any chance. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Pretty much agree the Canes need 94 points to be assured of a playoff slot. Thie means out of the last 33 games, the Canes need to have a 20-10-3 record to achieve this goal. Given the Canes consistent inconsistency this season, I don't see this happening. In a way, I would rather the Canes be out of the playoffs by the trade deadline and focus on rebuilding than miss it by losing the last game of the season.

We have to win 22 - 23 of 33 matches if we wanna play in the play-off's. If we don't do that, we should pray for our competitor's (Buffalo, Florida and Pitts) wrong turn. Even all of that, the team needs some fresh blood, in the face of 1 or 2 new players.

C'mon, team.