The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caneshockeyguy

How important is making the playoffs to you?

Pretty much agree the Canes need 94 points to be assured of a playoff slot. Thie means out of the last 33 games, the Canes need to have a 20-10-3 record to achieve this goal. Given the Canes consistent inconsistency this season, I don't see this happening. In a way, I would rather the Canes be out of the playoffs by the trade deadline and focus on rebuilding than miss it by losing the last game of the season.

I agree with 94 points being the target. That would at least get us in the mix but with 4 teams gunning for 2 spots it's gonna be dicey.

Play off? what's a playoff????

Hey just think if we do make the playoffs we have a good shot at going all the way,I mean the last 2 times we made it we went to the big show!!!!!!!

Come on PLAYOFFS!!!!!

The Eastern Conference playoff picture has gotten very interesting over the last 2 weeks with the Canes right in the mix. The 4th seed to the 10th place are only separated by 7 points (64 to 57) with the Canes 5 points out of 4th place and sitting in 8th. Montreal is struggling (3 and 7 in last 10) and in 4th with 64 points. The Rangers have fallen well off and will be lucky to hold on to the rest of the season after a fast start and are so desperate they are looking to bring in Avery. The Flyers have cap and injury issues. The Pens are playing poorly and I hope they will lose to the Wings today, but with their talent cannot be counted out and they may trade one of their best defensemen, Ryan Whitney for more O. The Panthers are in 9th with 2 games in hand on the Canes and may trade away their best player, Bouwmeester. All of these teams are looking to make moves for different reasons and with varied limitations. The Canes are by no means a lock, but they may not be any worse off than the other teams from 4 to 10 in the East right now.

I am actually beginning to feel optimistic with our team and their chances of gaining a playoff slot. Winning 4 of 6 post all-star break and 6 of our last 8 after the 5-game rough patch has been impressive. The team has had chances for let downs, but has bounced back after losses and not let the losses linger. I would love to see a move for a power forward or strong stay-at-home defenseman because I really do think that this team is close to being a legit threat to be more than a 1-round playoff team with an improvement or 2. I would never have said that 2 months ago...after the Philly 4 goal lead givewaway debacle, I had thrown in the towel. Adding either offense or defense at the top would be great but does not appear a necessity to be in the hunt to the end.

16 of our last 28 games are at the RBC with 8 of the last 11 there. If the guys go 2-1-1 every 4 games for the rest of the season, they finish with 94 points and that almost guarantees the playoffs. I think this is doable.

Of course, recent history indicates that the team is a let down machine for fans, so I'll believe it when I see it, but these past 8 games certainly have been better and the conference is beginning to comeback to us.

GO CANES!

IMPORTANT!

Isn't this the reason we play...to work hard and get in?

Keep playing like we have the past 2 games ( SJ/Pho ) and we'll be in..and hopefully go deep, real deep.

The team has been prone to frustrating me this year...so, we'll see.

The next couple of weeks are going to be interesting as far as a playoff chances. Of note:

1. Sabres- Leading scorer Vanek took a puck to the jaw that moved teeth accorging to Lindy and Buffalo News is reporting he may be out 1-2 weeks.

2. Rangers- The flu bug is making its rounds and they are struggling because of it.

3. Canadiens- Carey Price is getting shelled and consistently being beat up high. Apparently his confidence is really low according to reports.

4. Panthers- We get them in our house on Thursday. Hopefully we can make the 4 point swing.

From a cash-flow standpoint, I don't know if I can swing for playoff tix. From a fan stand-point who wants the Canes to succeed, I want them to go the Finals.