The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

With the Captain out of the line up, questions about how to move forward arise

Management will be forced to draw a line. This franchise has not made the playoffs since 06, we did not make the minimum whatever it was last year for revenue sharing and Lavi was put to task. This franchise needs to put the product on the ice that will win and draw butts into the seats and get into the playoffs. It is that simple. We are not Toronto that sells out even when they stink, or Philly, etc. Unless Karmanos wants to be nice and have this season as a loss. I don't think so. That is why Lavi was fired.

I think this is the end of an era. Unless Brindy can heal up.... maybe the bum knee put more wear on his ankle. He did have an ankle fracture years ago. I just don't see this as a bum ACL repair. Something else is up.

The moving forward will most likely be without Brindy at the helm. Sorry to say. I do hope it is done in a classy way. No Farve moments.

However, that said: his demise may be greatly exaggerated.

What ever happens we should not forget what Brind'Amour has meant to this team. I think the team management must first determine how seriously Brindy is hurt. If it appears he would be out most of the season then you must determine if it is better to play without him for the rest of the season. If on the other hand it is reasonable that with some rest he can return and help with a playoff push then you plan to use him again.

If it is determined he can return but he no longer fits the Canes plans I think we owe it to him to tell him. Help him find another team and let him either help younger players on a team that isn't playoff bound or a young team with playoff hopes that need experiance.

The decision to retire is his alone. No team or fan can help him make that choice. Without knowing the extent of his injury we can only hope he makes the best decision for himself and the team.

As for the C he should wear it until he isn't playing in a Canes uniform. But only he and the team can make that decision.

What ever happens we should not forget what Brind'Amour has meant to this team. I think the team management must first determine how seriously Brindy is hurt. If it appears he would be out most of the season then you must determine if it is better to play without him for the rest of the season. If on the other hand it is reasonable that with some rest he can return and help with a playoff push then you plan to use him again.

If it is determined he can return but he no longer fits the Canes plans I think we owe it to him to tell him. Help him find another team and let him either help younger players on a team that isn't playoff bound or a young team with playoff hopes that need experiance.

The decision to retire is his alone. No team or fan can help him make that choice. Without knowing the extent of his injury we can only hope he makes the best decision for himself and the team.

As for the C he should wear it until he isn't playing in a Canes uniform. But only he and the team can make that decision.

This is a team. You take the names off the back of the jersey's strip the "A" and "C" off and evaluate who is contributing. As an organization they cannot afford to give one guy an opportunity or the right to do what he wants. People are talking as if Rod brought us 4 Cups and has had several 90 pt seasons as a Hurricane. He is a veteran putting up average to below average numbers BUT brought us our first Cup and has shown class. Therefore he should be treated with class but we should not sacrifice anymore than what we have. MOVE ON!

No offense but thats a pretty scary statement. I feel the same about what Brind'Amour means here as you do but this is a business first and one that should be committed to winning by putting the best product on the ice it can. If the players make their all their own decisions and their word is more important than the management's, who's running the business?

Not saying it's the right way to approach the situation, but I'm saying that's the way it seems to have worked out. Look at this way. Our team mostly consists of players that won the Cup with the team (in which case, they could have a high opinion of Brindamour and rightly so) or new players that we recently acquired. When players play for a new team, what two people do you believe they would immediately hold in high (or higher) regard? To me, it's would obviously be the coach and the captain. Considering we've had two coaches this season, I'm again assuming most loyalty would merge over to the captain.

If the management has authority over all the players, why did they wait so long to decrease Brindamour's ice time? It was obvious to everyone that he was hurting the team playing that many minutes months before they did anything about it. And they finally decreased his ice time when he came out to the media saying "I know I'm playing poorly". It's like they need his permission to move him, for fear of backlash from the team/fans.

Again, loyalty means a lot in this business. Up until recently, Brindamour's been a rock for this team, and the fans and the team have become extremely loyal to him. He was out on the ice, putting it all out there, and became very relatable because of it. Meanwhile, most of the management's work goes on behind the scenes. Hard to be loyal to something if you don't know what's going through their mind half the time. That, coupled with some questionable decisions, may have put Brindamour's word on a higher pedestal than the management's.

Hypothetical situation: A situation arises where, for whatever reason, Brindamour and the management become at odds with each other. If Brindamour's production hadn't decreased drastically this year, where do you think the fan loyalty would lie?

First, I am a big fan of Brind'Amour and have been since his days in Philly.

Having said that Rod's career has been that of an outstanding blue collar defensive forward who was also a good two-way player. His face-offs speak for themselves.

Now, if I said we had a center who we were going to pay 4mill or so a year and his primary purpose would be to anchor important PK's, and shut down the other teams top centers on home ice and he was going to be a -30 everyone would say I was either (1) crazy or (2) his linemates were terrible.

What concerns me has been that Rod has been shakey on the puck at times this year. The fact that he has been on the ice so often for opposing goals is easy to measure. The other things he used to do (get the junk while standing in the slot, etc...), dig the puck out of the corners, make the little pass that killed teams that double teamed him etc...those simply don't seem to be there this year.

Out of respect for the team and his fans, Rod should sit out until he is 100% ready. If we make the playoffs his experience could be vital to us if he is healthy. Hurt or playing like he has I simply don't see us making the playoffs if he is on the ice for our remaining games.

As for Pete Friesen, I find it hard to want to put my trust in a trainer that has been part of a league leader in games missed over the last 2 and a half years. I realize his work in the community etc... has been wonderful but I am getting tired of wondering who we plan to steal from Albany next.

According to Chip, Brindy is practicing with the team again... makes me think he will play Thursday.

Uggh. I'm down with the practicing part, NOT with the playing part. Way too soon.

According to Chip, Brindy is practicing with the team again... makes me think he will play Thursday.

i guess all of our speculation may soon be put to the test. :unsure:

hes been aware of the situation all year, he did an interview early in the year and was talking about his road back to recovery and how he was telling Lavi to give him more ice time and Lavi had to hold him back because he wasnt ready. Rod is going to push the issue and the coaches need to reel him in. Francis would be the best one to do this if he hasnt already.

I don't remember the interview, although I believe you. I think that if this was still September/October they would be more willing to let him push for more ice time (it's hard to get your timing back while riding the pine) and fans would be more willing to overlook some things, but since it is already February and the "urgency" has shown up...well we saw the consequence of that-he went home early and was "forced" to heal.

i guess all of our speculation may soon be put to the test. :unsure:

No speculation, just what we would do with this situation if we had any say.

No speculation, just what we would do with this situation if we had any say.

I meant the "speculation" about this year's team playing better without him in the lineup (since it sounds like he will be back for Thursday), but I get what you meant. :)