The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
2006StanleyCupChampions

Karmanos Rips Laviolette

Not that I had a ton of respect for Karmonos but what little was there was lost after reading that article.

I think it was the way the blog was written. (quick quotes within minutes of saying) Will wait for news and articles.

I would say Round 1 of 1. Lavi is too classy to take the bait. No way he responds in an untoward manner.

I would say the observation of how the rest of the league caught up to the way the Cane played is pretty accurate after the lock-out/Stanley Cup Season.

This comment is interesting (and hopeful)

Karmanos also said he hoped to host the 2012 NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh. He said he saw NHL commissioner Gary Bettman Monday and Tuesday.

"I think he said we're still holding for 2012," Karmanos said.

The 2012 All-Star Game has not been assigned yet. An NHL spokesperson said the bid process for 2012 is closed, but that the site probably won't be announced until about a year out.

I agree that he didn't adapt to the changes in the league but I see know reason for him being ripped like that in the media. He is gone now why run him down? Things have been better with Mo. Hopefully the 3 game skid ends tonight.

You can't always read an article that someone writes and automatically assume the content is written in the correct manor. If you listen to the audio clip, it doesn't come off as bad as those articles are making it seem.

The guy is gone. It's pointless and classless to rip him now.

No class what so ever. This explains why our team is not doing so well. We are focused on stupid *edit* that happened in the past versus what is happening NOW! It was Karmanos who hired and kept him. If he is the owner then he is the boss, so that means ultimately the blame isn't entirely on LAVI. I'm surprised he didn't blame the economy after those stupid comments.

Can't say I disagree with what Karmanos had to say, despite the fact that I didn't believe Laviolette should've been released in the first place. This team could not compete once the rest of the NHL adapted to the "new NHL." I also have the exact same thoughts on certain players who were never given the proper opportunity to succeed here. Belanger is a nice example, I would also include Letowski in that group as well. I will agree that is does seem unnecessary to criticize Laviolette at this juncture.

i think it was pretty tactless and unclassy to throw laviolette under the bus now. i mean he's gone and there's someone new (old?) so why bring it up? especially since he was nothing but classy after he was fired.

but i have a slightly bigger problem with his comments about our stanley cup run. to basically say that is was nothing but a fluke with Gerber having a career year and everything else was luck really is an insult to everyone who was part of the team at that time. cups are not won with luck alone; hard work has to be part of the equation. now i understand that we have not been the same since then (IMO largely due to decisions made by management), but those guys worked hard that season to EARN that championship. to imply otherwise is unfair to them and to the fans. even if he meant it as "the current players aren't living up to their potential and aren't earning their pay" then it's still a problem. those issues should be dealt with individually and in private and certainly should not be used as a way to cast former employees (i.e. Lavi) in a bad light.

After linking to the WRAL story, I think you guys may be a little harsh on Karmanos. He said he didn't like the coach, but that may be a little out of context on how he felt on the team situation and Lavi's coaching style the last two years. Face it, if he loved the guy, he'd still be here. As far as what he said about Lavi giving up on players too soon, is it impossible that that could be true? Many on this board have questioned why certain players were getting minutes and some were in the dog house.

As I see it, no real news here. We don't get a lot of quotes from Karmanos so we don't have a lot to compare this with.

I agree with what he said. I disagree with him saying it. There was no reason for it, especially now. If he said it when they first got rid of him ok, but not now.

Hey, no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Lavi might have been everything he said he was. But PK should have just left it alone.

The guy is gone. It's pointless and classless to rip him now.

Absolutely head on here. This is a completely classless move and it almost puts a bad taste in my mouth as a fan of this organization.

I think I have it. I have figured it out. We have to get rid of PK and JR and then everyone on this board will stop complaining about them and like them and start complaining about who we bring in to replace them and why we got rid of them in the first place.

Everyone we have had in the organization, Lavi included, we have complained about (everyone complained at first "why did they get rid of Mo for a guy that the Islanders did not want") that they were not producing or doing their job and we have questioned everything they have done. We call for their heads and that we will not go to games until the idiots in charge finally make a change. Then they make a change and we bash the ones that made it and say they were idiots for getting rid of such a great person, player, or whoever. That he did not deserve to go. Whatever people.

Lavi brought us a cup. He will always be special in that way. BUt COME ON. He needed to go. Nice guy or not. He only had that one year. Every year since he has failed to reach any of the teams expectations. Were you in the day to day with Lavi and the team? No. Were you there in team meetings. NO. He might have been the biggest jerk, someone who was unwilling to adapt, or just someone that had a chip on his shoulder becasue he was a Stanley Cup winning coach. Sure the players all said they hated to see him go.....maybe they were friends. And maybe becaue they were friends they realized that they had a hand in him getting fired with their play.

Maybe the players wanted him gone. It would have been just as classless if they all came out and blasted him and said that he lost the locker room and was making poor decisions. Maybe they are glad he is gone but have bit their tongue "to be classy".

When all you see is a guy talking to JOhn and Tripp in the TV and he smiles and does not yell....does not make him a great guy.

Yes, I do beleive that PK should not have said what he did. BUt you know what....he was spot on. He did not adapt after the cup. Teams figured us out and shut us down. Stanley Cup one year, no play offs for the next three? He needed to go.

It's PK's team, he can say what he wants. If oyu don't like it, there are 27 other teams that are in the same boat as us that you can go root for.

No one here is saying that Lavi didn't have to go. What we're saying is that no value is gained by ripping a guy after he's gone. The N&O reports that PK basically said Lavi was along for the ride in 2006 and added little value to the team. I don't care if Lavi was the devil- you don't retroactively rip a coach that brought you a Stanley Cup. Ever.

Listening/watching the video clip and reading what was "report" are two different things from my view point. After watching the video, I did not see Karmanos "ripping" Lavi.