The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
2006StanleyCupChampions

Karmanos Rips Laviolette

Wrong. The Wings have been around a long time and have a much better revenue stream even in a recession with TV and other items. That revenue stream allows a lot of money to be spent on scouts,,,,such is the reason for so many europeans on the Wings.

The Wings are known around the league and the world as having a large and the best scouting service.

So I would take $5M off of players salaries and go further down in Salary Cap and use that money for more scouts.

Again, you can not have it all or you would be sitting in a $5M house with 14 cars and homes in the south of France, Hong Kong, London,, NY and Tokyo. How real is that?

I too think it's funny to see someone compare the Hurricanes to the Redwings...seriously?

Also this story was obviously taken out of context.

I'm frankly surprised this many people are shocked about PK. PK has always expressed his mind and not always in the right way either. He's been like that since the Whalers days. If you thought he would change coming south, your mistaken.

However, i'm in the minority and didn't have a problem with what he said. Its all true. Its been out that some of the new players didn't feel accepted and this goes back to the start of the 2006-07 season. Its not unknown that Lavi loses a locker room within 3 years. Its very well known that Lavi didn't change his style of play when the rules started slightly going back to post lockout rules. He's said himself before that he only knows how to coach one way. Unfortuntly these guys have played that way for 2.5 years, that those bad habits are creeping back in.

What I did have a problem with was the way he talked about the cup year. I just don't think it was written or he didn't say it the way it was meant to be said. Every team needs luck and needs the stars to align right in order to win a championship. And this happened in 2005-06, every thing lined up perfectly. But the coach and the players do deserve the credit as they created that luck.

I too think it's funny to see someone compare the Hurricanes to the Redwings...seriously?

Also this story was obviously taken out of context.

In what way was the story taken out of context? Karmanos was not misquoted nor was he ambushed. Chip simply reported what was said.

I know there are fans out there that agree with some or all of what Karmanos said but that doesn't make it okay that he said it. It was, simply put, classless and unnecessary...especially this long after the firing.

I agree that he didn't adapt to the changes in the league but I see know reason for him being ripped like that in the media. He is gone now why run him down? Things have been better with Mo. Hopefully the 3 game skid ends tonight.

Good Question! The answer is because he now has no one to place the blame on but himself and he'll never do that. If he put's the blame on Mo then he's just admitting he made a mistake in the coach change so either way the only thing he can do is still blame what's happening to the team on Lavi. I agree with what someone else already stated. Lavi is too classy of a guy to lash back out. he'll probably avoid the media.

In a college business class one often is asked to compare why one business succeeds and one business fails. Like them or not, the Wings have built a successful franchise, both on/off the ice, and therefore have the deep pockets. Given the history of the Whalers/Canes franchise, why haven't they been able to duplicate the success of the Wings?

Maybe none of this "dirty laundry" should have made it to the presses but at the same time maybe P.K. is showing Maurice that he is behind him and trying to fire up the team! If your not happy with the product your paying for then you have a right to say or do whatever you think needs to be done. I'm sure Lavs won't lose any sleep over this. Its P.K.'s team,would you be happy with your product at this time.Whether its right or wrong it's nice to see someone say how they feel without all the political correctness BS!

Maybe none of this "dirty laundry" should have made it to the presses but at the same time maybe P.K. is showing Maurice that he is behind him and trying to fire up the team! If your not happy with the product your paying for then you have a right to say or do whatever you think needs to be done. I'm sure Lavs won't lose any sleep over this. Its P.K.'s team,would you be happy with your product at this time.Whether its right or wrong it's nice to see someone say how they feel without all the political correctness BS!

this has nothing to do with policital correctnness. This is a matter of respect. I salute Luke and i loved his article where he blasted Karmanos. Karmanos, closely followed by JR, is the main and primary reason the team is bad.

Not about being "PC".

What if your wife/g-friend broke up with you and a month later she was telling everyone that you were lousy in the sack?

From what I read, he doesn't say he is unhappy with the product at this time. He said "Our coach (Laviolette) was bad." In fact, he said exactly the opposite about the "the product" - he said he thinks the team is a playoff team. In other words, everything was Lavi's fault I guess. Nice theory, but for the inconvenient timing of this 4-game (and likely to be longer) slide we are on. So "political correctness BS" would apply ... IF he were talking about the problems with the team from top to bottom. But he didn't. He called out one person and one person only: the coach he fired almost 2 months ago. He already did what he thought needed to be done. Why anger what is a clearly significant part of your fanbase, as evidenced by the sentiments here, by laying complete blame, unwarranted, on a coach many of those fans did, and still do, admire?

Agree or disagree with what he said - that's beside the point. The point is, he did not need to say it now, and to the press. It was classless. And unnecessary. Period.

We have much larger problems than what an owner says about a fired employee. Tacky, sure. Down right horrible and worth complaining about, not really.

We have a group of players who, for some reason, chose to underperform for >40 minutes/game. I used be of a mind that we have a lack of skill on our team. Then I remember that at the end of last season, when we have several "skill" players injured and a bunch of newbie AHLers WITH HEART, FIRE, and DESIRE playing, we were winning games and were one win away from getting into the playoffs. But, the newbie AHLers were benched, and our "skilled" players came back to play the final few games. We lost. Missed the playoffs.

My point? This team has lost its heart. They need to find it. Cuz mine is breaking right now.

Come on. Not just picking on you here but everyone on this board... Scroll through the message board and see how many polite comments you find. Just look at your responses to PKs comments! Wouldn't it have been easier to just say "That was rather rude of him" but instead everyone is calling him a jerk? I for one am glad to see someone speak their mind and stop with the sugar coated garbage. Gleason did something very similar last night in his interview between periods. He spoke his mind about how fed up he is with his teamates playing like pansies. I guess thats okay though but PK cant speak his mind? I for one want to see some passion from this organization.

What PK said is not passion. The atmosphere he has now created is one where nobody whould want to be coach of this team. This is the type of person PK is. The world revolves around him. If I was a player and after reading what PK said I don't believe I would want to play for that organization. PK is and always will be the problem with this organization. For a man in his position to say the PL was along for the ride in the cup run is nothing short of being an idiot. How would you like it if your boss said the same things about you? I doubt that you would want to continue working for someone like PK. Well it holds true with professional sports, good luck in finding anyone to coach this team let alone play for him.

Could it be the Whalers/Canes are just PKs "playtoy" and as long as he refuses to bring in investors who will help deepen the investment needed to expand scouting, and deepen the "pot" needed to bring in "high priced" talent the team will always be mediocre. Not that "high priced" talent will produve wins, but what is needed is an attitude that making the playoffs is a given and a first round playoff loss is unacceptable. For exa,ple, Steinbriner (sp) may be a first class jerk, but the Yakees are always competitive.

Not about being "PC".

What if your wife/g-friend broke up with you and a month later she was telling everyone that you were lousy in the sack?

Been there done that!!!Most ex's say that about everyone!!! And who cares what she says anyways,,thats why they're and ex!! Wow you almost hurt my feeling there!!! :rolleyes:

What PK said is not passion. The atmosphere he has now created is one where nobody whould want to be coach of this team. This is the type of person PK is. The world revolves around him. If I was a player and after reading what PK said I don't believe I would want to play for that organization. PK is and always will be the problem with this organization. For a man in his position to say the PL was along for the ride in the cup run is nothing short of being an idiot. How would you like it if your boss said the same things about you? I doubt that you would want to continue working for someone like PK. Well it holds true with professional sports, good luck in finding anyone to coach this team let alone play for him.

Could not disagree more. If this were true about players and coaches not wanting to play here becuase of what he said, then 70% of proteams would be empty. In the same week, Ron Wilson told the Toronto media that the issue with his team is the talent is not there. Much worse than what PK said. You think players won't go to the Leafs? You bet they will as they will come to the canes.

This is pro sports, not a beauty pagent.

What PK said is not passion. The atmosphere he has now created is one where nobody whould want to be coach of this team.

Oh, come on !!!!!!! What PK said will not keep any coach form coming here. If it does, we don't need them here.

Been there done that!!!Most ex's say that about everyone!!! And who cares what she says anyways,,thats why they're and ex!! Wow you almost hurt my feeling there!!! :rolleyes:

My exs never said that (that I know of). My point was not to hurt your feelings...just making a point and you got it.

My exs never said that (that I know of). My point was not to hurt your feelings...just making a point and you got it.

Not really because i don't think in today's times that what was said was really all that bad.I think it was blown way out of proportion in the 1st place! I just hate it that people can't say whats on their mind (ie-the political correctness part) and if thats how he feels than so be it. Like i said i bet Lavs didn't lose any sleep over it. So to me i thought it was ok that he said that stuff. Maybe not classy but honest!!

And really it didn't even come close to hurting my feelings!! :lol: and glad you added (that i know of) ;) Believe me i know ex's!! :lol:

Not really because i don't think in today's times that what was said was really all that bad.I think it was blown way out of proportion in the 1st place! I just hate it that people can't say whats on their mind (ie-the political correctness part) and if thats how he feels than so be it. Like i said i bet Lavs didn't lose any sleep over it. So to me i thought it was ok that he said that stuff. Maybe not classy but honest!!

And really it didn't even come close to hurting my feelings!! :lol: and glad you added (that i know of) ;) Believe me i know ex's!! :lol:

:lol: You got that right- you never know!

Speaking your mind is great and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I sure didn't hear him complaining about Lavi right after we won the Cup. They extended his contract to boot. That would have been a better time to be honest if you didn't like what Lavi was doing. Not after the fact like sour grapes.

:lol: You got that right- you never know!

Speaking your mind is great and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I sure didn't hear him complaining about Lavi right after we won the Cup. They extended his contract to boot. That would have been a better time to be honest if you didn't like what Lavi was doing. Not after the fact like sour grapes.

Look at the contracts they signed after the cup year: Brind'Amour: 5 years, Wallin: 3 years + NTC, Kaberle: 4 years, etc. Seems to me all those signings after that win were all based on the high of winning.

Look at the contracts they signed after the cup year: Brind'Amour: 5 years, Wallin: 3 years + NTC, Kaberle: 4 years, etc. Seems to me all those signings after that win were all based on the high of winning.

yep but we can't fire the folks that dished those out, one was probably the owner and the other is the GM and part owner.

Wallin was also 4 years.

Based on winning in the NHL of 05-06, yep. In their defense, all three have gone through some tough injuries, and it's hard to account for that. Still, it will be interesting to see how that season goes down in history for the Canes. We had the right team at the right time for the Cup, but committing to that team, just on these three contracts, has hamstrung them in today's NHL to the point that they may not get back to the playoffs until those contracts are up.

Karmanos is a classles jerk. As the Canes continue to slide, and they look closer and closer to not making the playoffs, PK needs another excuse. He can't throw RF or his "boy" Mo under the bus, JR firmly attached to his rearend, so lets throw the guy responsible for the SC under the bus. What a piece of *edit*!! Public and personal persona different, no *edit*, don't we all do that to some extent in our jobs?? WHat PK fails to realize that it was Lavi that brought that family atmoshpere to the Canes, increased the buzz with the fans and gave back to the community, because thats who he is. Maybe he was different with PK, becuase he realized early that the guy is a clueless, classles jerk who does not really care about winning only about the bottmline. The guys ridiculous, the fact is do we blame Lavi for keeping people on lines too long or did he get let go due to the fact that PK thought he knew better and demanded Lavi do some of the completely inept moves last year into this year. Summarily, PK is a over-controlling *edit* who needs someone to blame for the crappy product he has put out the ice. The buck passes here!!!

The expectations and guidelines put on Peter this year were unrealistic and set him up for failure. The legendary Scotty Bowman could not have produced under that environment. For instance they (JR & PK) forbid Peter to speak to the media except after games. Think about it. Did any of your catch an interview he gave outside the post game? They (PK & JR) knew how likeable Peter was and they were hoping to curtail the public uproar of the firing. It is without a doubht true that Peter's system did not work in todays environment. However despite the possibility of luck, he did win the Stanley cup. Therefore out of respect you can not publicly bash him IMO. Peter is the defenition of class. That is why you will never hear any crticism from him - after he was fired or after Karmanos' words.