The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dmonk

Canes get Jussi Jokinen for Brookbank, Melichar and a pick

I like the trade. As others have said we really arent giving up much of anything to get Jokinen. I hope this will revamp his career and get him playing like he did when he 1st entered this league. My guess is that he will probably play 3rd line for the Canes. He has the potential to be a scorer and Carolina's system will benefit him because he does have pretty good speed and a decent shot.

I believe that Tampa reduces salary over $300,000 total if this was an entire season deal. Jokinen is $1.8 and Melichar is $1.0 mil and Brookbank $.475. Or am I missing something?

You are correct.

Perhaps this would make some sense:

tampa allready offered jussi up for free. Carolina, persumably, was interested but wanted to dump salary.

The remaining until end of the season salary of melichar and brookbank is around $500K. So tampa pays the $500K to carolina (they aren't using those guys anyways) and gets a 4th round pick in return. Jussi goes to carolina like he would have if they had claimed him off waivers. Tampa just bought a 4th round pick with the money they saved from waiving jussi.

Basically, we are cheap we couldn't afford Jokinen off waivers and had to offer Tampa 4th round to shed some salary.

Wow, we got rid of Melichar, didn't think that was possible! Wonder if he went through w/ buying a house in Albany; he'll need luck selling it.

Like the idea of adding another Finn...but I'm biased by bloodlines!!!

Awesome! I know a little bit more about him because of my friendship with Dallas. The guy is incredible in shootouts, which is obviously something that we need. Glad to see a former Star join us!

Awesome! I know a little bit more about him because of my friendship with Dallas. The guy is incredible in shootouts, which is obviously something that we need. Glad to see a former Star join us!

He used to be good in shootouts, not so much in recent times.

Here are the stats:

2005-2006 - 10/13

2006-2007 - 5/12

2007-2008 - 2/4

2008-2009 - 3/9

He used to be good in shootouts, not so much in recent times.

Here are the stats:

2005-2006 - 10/13

2006-2007 - 5/12

2007-2008 - 2/4

2008-2009 - 3/9

Wow, those are great shootout numbers. Even 33% for this season is excellent by recent Cane's history.

Very good move by JR. Get's rid of guys that aren't/haven't played for a guy that can play and has some upside. Another Finn may convince Ruutu to re-sign for cheap! (Though Jussi is an RFA after this season too, isn't he?)

Not a bad move, why pay Brookbank for benchwarming and Melichar for AHL time when we can get a young forward who has some potential at a relatively low price? Maybe he is friends with Tuomo and Joni, that would be really nice to already have some friends on a new team.

From reading around it sounds like, Pitkanen and Jokinen played for the same team back in Finland days, and Ruutu and Jokinen played on the same line for team Finland.

From reading around it sounds like, Pitkanen and Jokinen played for the same team back in Finland days, and Ruutu and Jokinen played on the same line for team Finland.
Looking at the TSN player history, it looks like Joki and Pits played for several years on the same Finnish league team, so they should be quite familiar with each other.

The local McDonalds are going to have to start selling reindeer burgers if we get any more Finns in town... :lol:

I have to say I like this trade, I remember Jokinen being quite good with the stars and I hope he can rekindle that here.

Brookbank and Melichar haven't dressed for us since late December anyways.

Looking at the TSN player history, it looks like Joki and Pits played for several years on the same Finnish league team, so they should be quite familiar with each other.

The local McDonalds are going to have to start selling reindeer burgers if we get any more Finns in town... :lol:

Harris Teeter better cancel the Brookbank sandwich :huh:

Bayda better watch himself, having a sandwich named after you seems to be the kiss of death. Scott Walker gets hurt, Brookbank gets traded and Bayda... :o

Looks like another one of JR's "buy low" trades. Worked out for Samsonov, not so much for Anson Carter. It can't hurt to trade two guys who never play anymore for one who might be useful.

Great move JR, only thing we really gave up is a draft pick.

I have high hopes Jokinen comes in and steps up his game, i can just feel it, also the fact that he can help in shootouts is a bonus. Glad to have him on our team.

Harris Teeter better cancel the Brookbank sandwich :huh:

Bayda better watch himself, having a sandwich named after you seems to be the kiss of death. Scott Walker gets hurt, Brookbank gets traded and Bayda... :o

I think a Chad LaRose sub would be a nice addition. Although if we are looking to not get Rosey traded they should probably pick someone else... :unsure:

This trade is possibly an anticipation of either LaRose or Bayda (both UFAs) signing somewhere else next year. The depth chart has Jokinen at 4th line center, and if that's where he'll be playing, he fills an immediate need, as well.

I think JR is attempting to build a 25 year old Finnish army. Let's get Mikko Koivu, Kari Lehtonen, and possibly Sean Bergenheim (add a few past 25 -nen's from Philly) and we've got ourselves the possibility of becoming the Carolina... Reindeers. :lol:

I think JR is attempting to build a 25 year old Finnish army. Let's get Mikko Koivu, Kari Lehtonen, and possibly Sean Bergenheim (add a few past 25 -nen's from Philly) and we've got ourselves the possibility of becoming the Carolina... Reindeers. :lol:

Hilarious!

I am really liking this deal, especially after watching some videos of him on YouTube. He might have been in a slump, but keep in mind he was in Tampa Bay... it's kinda hard to get excited and pumped-up being on a bottom-feeder team. Look at Stamkos, everyone was talking about him being the next Ovechkin, or whatever. Anyway, I am very excited to have this guy as a Cane, hopefully he will get along with the other Fins.

I know he'll be welcomed well here in Carolina. I think he will fit in well considering the Canes are a team with a style he should be perfect for. He kinda reminds me of Samsonov... from what little I have seen.

Also, good job cutting the 'dead weight,' JR.

doesn't really hurt the canes, doesn't really help them either. hope j.r. isn't expecting this to be what the team needs, and he is out there looking at other ideas and possibilities. does anyone know if this clears any cap space or not?

:lol: Fantastic! Of course that means that instead of pulled pork sandwiches, the RBC Center will start serving reindeer dogs.

I guess I'm with you fellers on this one.

Not much downside. We dumped two contracts that were dead to us and picked up a forward which seems to be our need right now. We did give up a 4th rounder, but we got a player. The other two players we traded weren't doing anything for us so in reality we traded a 4th round pick for Jokinen. That seems okay. If he can play center, it gives Mo some flexibility in case of injuries.