The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dmonk

Canes get Jussi Jokinen for Brookbank, Melichar and a pick

I read it hasn't scored since Tocchett took over in November. Maybe the change of teams and coach will get him going again. I agree with everyone who has said we didn't give up much to get Jokinen. Sounds like he can play on PP too.

I read it hasn't scored since Tocchett took over in November. Maybe the change of teams and coach will get him going again. I agree with everyone who has said we didn't give up much to get Jokinen. Sounds like he can play on PP too.

My first thought was this is a great deal for us. We give up two players who are making NO contribution to the team plus a 4th round pick and we get a guy who has proven he can play at the NHL level and who has the potential to be another Samsonov, and it costs us nearly nothing! It's a no-brainer. Then I think what's in this for Tampa Bay? Why are they willing to make this deal? Seems like they are getting very little in return. Makes you wonder why. Is there something we don't know about him?

Just a thought.

the question is where in the lineup will he go?

Listening to the Maurice sound bite it sounds like he could be used anywhere from the 4th to 1st line.

Do we know who is going to sit out tonight? I guess we will find out in a little later tonight.

the question is where in the lineup will he go?

Listening to the Maurice sound bite it sounds like he could be used anywhere from the 4th to 1st line.

Do we know who is going to sit out tonight? I guess we will find out in a little later tonight.

IMO this is the calm before the storm when JR dumps our UFA's. Jussi can fill a void (and can be retained for next year for depth as well) when Rosey goes and the Albany call-ups have been doing well on the defense for a potential replacement for the Burg. I only hope that a package of Rosey, Seidenburg, and/or Bayda can bring a good physical forward in return.

He probably was in Tocchett's doghouse, just like Rosie was in Mo's before he showed how hard he works. If Jokinen shows LaRose's ethic (or maybe even half of it) then I think he can score here.

I can't wait to see the game tonight now!

I'm a little more skeptical of this trade. Jokinen has been doing absolutely nothing this year. Another small forward that can't finish is not what this team needs. Nor does it need to get rid of a draft pick. Right now, that 4th rounder is worth more than any of the other players involved in this trade.

That being said, it's good to get rid of dead weight. Melichar wasn't doing much, and Brookbank is hardly what was expected of him. We'll see how it pans out.

He probably was in Tocchett's doghouse, just like Rosie was in Mo's before he showed how hard he works. If Jokinen shows LaRose's ethic (or maybe even half of it) then I think he can score here.

Me Too. It should be a interesting game on several levels. You might be right about Jokinen being in Tocchett's dog house. He started out pretty good then after Melrose got the boot he stopped scoring.

I don't know if they changed lines or cut his ice time. I hope he finds the net again.

Me Too. It should be a interesting game on several levels. You might be right about Jokinen being in Tocchett's dog house. He started out pretty good then after Melrose got the boot he stopped scoring.

I don't know if they changed lines or cut his ice time. I hope he finds the net again.

when Rosey goes

Rosey is going nowhere. JR is not that stupid. He's the spark plug in the room and he'll be a bargain at three times his current salary!

It is not out of the question. Rosey had difficult contract negotiations over the summer. Your right JR is not stupid. He will get something for his UFA's (see Stillman and Commodore). He has plenty of forwards in the system as well (Boychuk, Bowman) that will replace at the same inexpensive salary.

I'm a little more skeptical of this trade. Jokinen has been doing absolutely nothing this year. Another small forward that can't finish is not what this team needs. Nor does it need to get rid of a draft pick. Right now, that 4th rounder is worth more than any of the other players involved in this trade.

That being said, it's good to get rid of dead weight. Melichar wasn't doing much, and Brookbank is hardly what was expected of him. We'll see how it pans out.

I'm skeptical as well, we have too many Jokinen style players already. But, if he pans out, he can be a 3rd line version of Samsonov for us. It's basically a low risk deal that if he gets a scoring touch back could help us into the playoffs this year and that would be worth a 4th rounder imo.

He may be in a slump, but Tampa is having a horrible season. From the youtubes I saw a guy with a great shot. Hopefully he finds that again here.

We'd have a Finnish that can finish, and that's no Joke.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

What's in it for Tampa? Well, Brookbank and Melichar can be to them as Samsonov became for us. Important players on their new team. And seriosuly, Tampa is having a crappy season, and they'll probably get the chance to prove themselves.. Lets hope all goes well for them, and elets hope this new dude finds his place here.

He may be in a slump, but Tampa is having a horrible season. From the youtubes I saw a guy with a great shot. Hopefully he finds that again here.

We'd have a Finnish that can finish, and that's no Joke.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Don't worry, I call Tuomo Ruutu the "Finnisher." Bahaha.

What's in it for Tampa? Well, Brookbank and Melichar can be to them as Samsonov became for us. Important players on their new team. And seriosuly, Tampa is having a crappy season, and they'll probably get the chance to prove themselves.. Lets hope all goes well for them, and elets hope this new dude finds his place here.

Well they dumped a player they didn't want. A player headed to the minors. I think they saved a little money. They might bring Melichar up. I think the draft choice was what they really wanted. But I don't see that they got a lot for Jokinen. I think it should turn out to be a better trade for us then them. But only time will tell.