The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
dmonk

Canes get Jussi Jokinen for Brookbank, Melichar and a pick

What's in it for Tampa? Well, Brookbank and Melichar can be to them as Samsonov became for us. Important players on their new team. And seriosuly, Tampa is having a crappy season, and they'll probably get the chance to prove themselves.. Lets hope all goes well for them, and elets hope this new dude finds his place here.

Well they dumped a player they didn't want. A player headed to the minors. I think they saved a little money. They might bring Melichar up. I think the draft choice was what they really wanted. But I don't see that they got a lot for Jokinen. I think it should turn out to be a better trade for us then them. But only time will tell.

For those who asked, the updated depth chart on the Hurricanes' website has Jokinen slotted in the fourth-line center position between Bayda and Petruzalek with Ryan out of the line-up.

It also has Jokinen's jersey number listed as #36 and Ryan's, which was #36, as "undefined".

Kind of feel bad to see Brookbank and Melichar go. Brookbank was one of my favorite players and Melichar was really playing well down here in Albany. But oh well if this is going to help the Canes than I am all for it.

Why

Why

Why

Why

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved Wade, he was one of our biggest fighters and I just don't see our guys fighting much any more.

Now getting rid of Melichar I agree, he hasn't done much at all. But Brookbank... and even that pick could've ended up as something, though he's 4th round. :mellow::mellow:

I loved Wade, he was one of our biggest fighters and I just don't see our guys fighting much any more.

Now getting rid of Melichar I agree, he hasn't done much at all. But Brookbank... and even that pick could've ended up as something, though he's 4th round. :mellow::mellow:

Brookbank lost most of his fights, and that was all he was good for. Thats why he hasn't played since December.

Plus Gleason and Sutter fought tonight, happy?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Hey Jim....good move got something for absolutely nothing....now let's make the trade where we get a REAL Goal Scorer.....

Nice first post..

The guy went 13 for 16 in the faceoff circle. That pretty good by most people standards. This team has plenty of goal scorers who produced well over the past few games. Juicy is not replacing a goal scorer.

Looks like another one of JR's "buy low" trades. Worked out for Samsonov, not so much for Anson Carter. It can't hurt to trade two guys who never play anymore for one who might be useful.

I think your right. He seemed to fit in the line up OK last night. Lets see what chemistry brew with the guys.

Fairly safe move. I dont love the trade but I do like it. Got rid of dead weight and in return got a player who needed a change of scenery and has an offensive touch. However, Jokinien could be good, but not the difference. Also, we have so many forwards now, who will be the odd man out when Brindy and Walker return? Im assuming that forces Bayda out and possibly Eaves? That would be sad considering I like both of em. When Brindy and Walker return, that would also force Jussi down to the 4th line, where I just dont see him producing. I think if he wants to rediscover his touch, he needs to be played. Similiar to what we did with Ruutu, we put him on the 1st line when we aqquired him last year.

When asked on the radio if he thinks there will be any other trades, JR said NO.

It is possible that JR thinks Brindy might come back. And it is possible that he also thinks that Jokinen might be a servicable 3rd line center even if Brindy does not return, and therefore he is done. Jokinen does have some assists, and has scored goals in the past. This is certainly a budget move though. Classic JR to be sure, picking over other team's castoffs. It certainly worked with Sammy so who am I to question. BUT...

If Jokinen continues to stuggle, but the team keeps in the playoff hunt, then I think JR keeps his eye out for a more proven NHL center, even a 3rd liner, for the playoff push. That's what I think should happen anyway.

Again, though, if Jokinen finds his game I think JR is done.

This was a hedge move for another center to replace Brind'Amour. I know he's not the second coming, but we got a 25 year old 3rd line RFA center/winger who still has potential for a 4th round pick and two guys that have no upside. I LOVE this deal. My only concern is dropping the gloves now, though its tough to drop the gloves in the press box. I wonder if there will be another minor deal with one of our potential UFAs for a goon. Either way, this trade makes us better today, than we were yesterday.

Was this on 99.9, or somewhere else?

Mike Maniscalco played this in the pre-game, links are on 99.9 web site. There are two short clips, one speaks to the trade, and one speaks to future moves. I think if you click this one it automatically launches the other as well.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/audio/4493194/?id_related=4492320' target="_blank">http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes/au...related=4492320[/post]

wonder if this means Rod is out for awhile?

Hopefully, no offense of course but, I am tired of it being BrindAmour with the puck and then a second later the other team going into our zone. There has to be a time when you say to yourself am I good for the team? And right now he is not. Winning faceoffs is important but, when you give up the puck shortly after because your puck handling skills have gone way down hill. I think its time to call 50 cent cause it's a rap!!! Sorry Brindy I still love ya!!

Depth is important. We always find a way to have at least 2 or 3 forwards sitting out injured. The problem of having too many healthy forwards hasn't been a problem in literally 3 years, even though we have a lot of them. Even when we get totally healthy, it lasts 2 games at most.

This takes away any pressure to hurry Brindy back. Cullen is doing fine as a 2nd line center, and we look like we have a key faceoff man replacement.

Brookbank lost most of his fights, and he doesn't play since we can't waste a game-day slot on a guy who can only play 4 minutes due to speed deficiencies. Lets face it, the day of the pure enforcer is over. The day of the skilled player who can also fight is here. When healthy and needed, we can bring Gleason or Walker to bear, and they win their fights, unlike Brookbank.

The more I think about it the more I think that this is the move, for now. Over the next 8-9 games we will find out:

1. How the team responds to losing the captain.

2. How Jokinen performs.

If the answer is "very well" to both of these, then we are going with what we see now.

If the anser is "very well" to 1 and "not so good" to 2, then we must find a legit NHL third center.

If the answer is "not so good" to both, or "not so good" to 1 and "good" to 2, then they can put Brindy back in and go for the draft pick.

All i can say is so far so good. Got rid of 2 guys with 0 icetime for a guy that won 13/16 faceoffs? How can you say anything bad about that? As far as the 4th round pick those are a dime a dozen!!

All i can say is so far so good. Got rid of 2 guys with 0 icetime for a guy that won 13/16 faceoffs? How can you say anything bad about that? As far as the 4th round pick those are a dime a dozen!!

Especially if I am not mistaken the 4th rounder was part of the Darcy Hordichuk deal over the summer that if we couldn't sign him.

Per TSN ice chips Tampa put Melichar and Brookbank on waivers. No surprise there.

What? So they trade a player that was on waivers for two players that they can put on waivers? I think Tampa's management just like moving players around for the fun of it.

What? So they trade a player that was on waivers for two players that they can put on waivers? I think Tampa's management just like moving players around for the fun of it.

I do agree that they seem to move players around for fun, though this deal was mostly for us.

We would have picked Jussi up off of waivers, but JR just wanted to unload some dead weight (ie Brookbank and Melichar) so basically we traded them a 4th round pick to make up for the fact that they would also be taking on Brookbank and Melichar's salary.