The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ramp23

A Positive Note

That is brutal! In February ours is much better. We have the Bruins, at least at home and the Slugs twice sans Vanek, but then it's pretty soft, with nice spacing, our only back to back is vs. Tampa and they are back to back also and traveling.

On the flipside, our schedule gets rougher in March.

On the other flipside, we close out with 8/11 at home.

With 6 teams now in the hunt for the last 4 playoff spots it should make an interesting finish down the stretch. I do like our heavy home schedule to close the regular season and propel the Canes into a playoff berth. Let's hope we can start the Kitty's off right with a home win. I sure hope the crowd is into it tommorrow night - big game.

With 6 teams now in the hunt for the last 4 playoff spots it should make an interesting finish down the stretch. I do like our heavy home schedule to close the regular season and propel the Canes into a playoff berth. Let's hope we can start the Kitty's off right with a home win. I sure hope the crowd is into it tommorrow night - big game.

My friend got the teacher ticket price, and she had to gets 2 separate seats. They had no seat together in lower bowl.

Their is tough, but our own schedule isn't any less brutal.

Are you serious?

EVERY team Florida plays the rest of the month is in the playoffs right now. Every team. Sure we have the Bruins and the Sabres a few times, but we also have the Blue Jackets who are out of the playoffs and then some of the worst teams in hockey in the Lightning, Avalanche, Thrashers and Senators.

Our schedule is no where close to theirs for the rest of the month.

*edited*

Are you serious?

EVERY team Florida plays the rest of the month is in the playoffs right now. Every team. Sure we have the Bruins and the Sabres a few times, but we also have the Blue Jackets who are out of the playoffs and then some of the worst teams in hockey in the Lightning, Avalanche, Thrashers and Senators.

Our schedule is no where close to theirs for the rest of the month.

*edited*

Have you looked past this month? Checked the month of March, maybe?

The Panthers have a tough schedule. Ours is a little easier, but it's far from a pushover. As stated in the other thread, 16 of our remaining 28 games are against teams that are currently in a playoff position.

So I guess we can't do positive very well here can we?

As to the original poster...

Yes, it looks like a good month for the Canes to make up some ground if they play like they have been lately. Unfortunately in such a tight race, all teams will be playing with an urgency so the Canes will have to be ready at the drop of the puck every game.

Looks like we're going to have another nailbiter heading into April. Buckle up, its going to be a bumpy ride.

Like I said earlier, 6 teams are now battling for the last 4 playoff spots so no one team has an easy schedule. EVERY game is important, and who knows who will get hot or go cold the last couple of months of the season. Plus, the trade deadline looms, although it may not be as substantial this year as in past years given the salary cap issues most teams face.

Here's something positive from the Canadian Press:

Hurricanes looking to keep West Coast momentum rolling at home Wednesday

02.11.2009 / 4:38 PM / News Canadian PressRALEIGH, N.C. -

Back home after a cross-country trip, the Carolina Hurricanes want to keep playing like they're on the road.

That's a mentality that served them well during a critical chunk of the schedule in which they played 85-plus minutes of clutch hockey to remain in the playoff chase.

A collapse seemed understandable, if not inevitable, during their recent three-game West Coast trip. They gave away a point at struggling Vancouver in the first game, their injured captain was sent home early during the trip, their lone all-star was out with an injury and they were down in the third period against some of the NHL's best teams.

Instead, they regrouped after the loss to the Canucks to claim a confidence-building shootout win over San Jose, and followed that with an unlikely rout of Phoenix to claim four crucial points.

And more importantly, they might have saved their season - at least, as long as they don't get caught up in their recent accomplishments.

"You can't think that when you come home, everything is going to come easily," forward Tuomo Ruutu said after practice Tuesday. "On the road, you almost have to work extra hard. But when you come home for the first game, you've got to do the same thing and work as hard as you do on the road."

Once written off after a five-game slide in mid-January, Carolina (27-22-5) has won six of eight to move back into the thick of the post-season chase. The Hurricanes began Wednesday ninth in the Eastern Conference with 59 points, one behind Southeast Division rival Florida - which visits Raleigh on Thursday.

"Every point is huge at this stage of the season," goalie Cam Ward said. "It's definitely crunch time for us, and all you have to do to remind yourself is to take a look at those standings and see how tight of a race it is. Every game is huge, and it's important that we continue what we've been doing these past couple games on the road and play well at home."

They wouldn't be in this position had they not rallied from a near-certain defeat at San Jose, sending the Western Conference-leading Sharks to their first back-to-back home losses of the season. Ray Whitney tied it at 3-3 midway through the third, Sergei Samsonov scored the winner in the shootout and backup goalie Michael Leighton stopped 37 shots in his first significant action in weeks.

Then, their punchless power-play unit - which is scoring at a 16.9 per cent rate - finally clicked into gear. It produced a season-high four goals during a 7-2 victory over Phoenix in which the players' faith in new coach Paul Maurice's disciplined system was rewarded.

"We were patient in both of the games. We just kept playing hard and using the system," Ruutu said. "That's why we got opportunities to score goals, and we buried those chances. That was a big thing. In the Phoenix game, if you have power plays and you don't score on the first couple of power plays, you might get frustrated. But we kept doing the same things, and that's why we scored."

They also have gotten healthier. Captain Rod Brind'Amour, who returned to Raleigh following Carolina's 4-3 loss at Vancouver to nurse a groin injury, was back on the ice practising Tuesday and so was defenceman Dennis Seidenberg, who remains on injured reserve with a hurt groin. All-star Eric Staal, who missed the end of the San Jose win with a lower-body injury, returned to face the Coyotes.

And they bolstered their depth, weaving forward Jussi Jokinen into the top lines after he was acquired from Tampa Bay over the weekend for two backup players and a draft pick.

Now comes the tough part: Keeping that momentum going.

"You can learn from it a lot, or you can use it the other way," Ruutu said. "Hopefully, we can use it as a positive thing and keep playing the way we've been playing the past couple of games. ... You can't be satisfied with two wins. You have to win some games."

Just looking at team standings we can see that the Panthers lead us by one point in the rankings. We're fighting tooth and nail for eight place to get us a spot in the playoffs. We've played one more game than they have, which makes winning this game even more important.

We're coming off a high defeating San Jose (#1 in the west who just beat Boston #1 in the east), and the humiliating defeat we delivered to Arizona. But they're coming off a great win against the Leafs.

We need this win. NEED IT. What do we need to ensure that we get it?

(On a side note, the panthers want playoffs so bad that they're selling programs to fans to give the fans tickets for four games if they don't win a spot.)

Like I said earlier, 6 teams are now battling for the last 4 playoff spots so no one team has an easy schedule. EVERY game is important, and who knows who will get hot or go cold the last couple of months of the season. Plus, the trade deadline looms, although it may not be as substantial this year as in past years given the salary cap issues most teams face.

"Uh Hmm Hmmm I reckon.

Some people call it a Kaiser blade. I call it a sling blade."

Want some Potted meat? Love your Icon and that movie. I grew up with people like that.(Ain't tellin' ya where.)

Personnally I don't care who plays who,where or when or what their records are. The only thing that matters is 2 points everytime we play. No games off for letdowns. No whining and no excuses.

We have already used up all our "gimmees" for this season.

Have you looked past this month? Checked the month of March, maybe?

The Panthers have a tough schedule. Ours is a little easier, but it's far from a pushover. As stated in the other thread, 16 of our remaining 28 games are against teams that are currently in a playoff position.

I see that as an almost average schedule, given that 16 out of 30 teams are always in playoff position.

Well, they had the crowd but not the hockey

Disgusting. They pack the house and are an embarrassment. They had the opportunity to impress and they gave an utter letdown. Those people wont be back anytime soon and I dont blame them... Canes games are one of my true passions, and after Thursday's performance, I don't know if its even worth going Saturday.... Lets say the Canes win. Big whoop. All that accomplishes is preventing me from being pissed off. It doesn't excite me, it doesn't make me happy. If they lose however I WILL be pissed off. Thats the entirety of this season if you ask me. Winning games is no longer reason to celebrate, only a reason to not get upset. That is a formula for losing fans if I've ever seen one.

And the cats won in a SO vs. the free falling rangers last night. 5 points back and even in games now.

right, and they played with real intensity. They may have a rough schedule this month, but the kitties are playing like they may have some big wins.

5 points is hard to come back from... It's possible. It all depends on which Hurricanes team is playing. We'll see tonight.