The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
It--39-sSTAALGood-12

Any guess??

Nobody will like my answer:

I say ditch Staal and Ward.

Ward has been the best player on this team this year. I don't understand why people don't understand that games like these last two are not his fault. He is the sole reason we are even sniffing the playoffs at this point. The only possible game he cost us was the Edmonton game on the very soft goal at the end and there we only scored 1 goal, so no offensive help there. He is still young and he is only going to get better.

As far as Staal he is suffering without someone who can skate with him. I 100% supported the Cole for Pitkanen trade b/c Cole has not been the same since his injury but Cole could skate with Staal and the year Cole was healthy at his best, Staal got 100. The age of this team really affects Staal b/c people can't skate with him.

We really need to dump some salary by finding some stupid team to take Kaberle from us, not re-sign a few people and bring up some AHL guys to play the fourth line and spend 15 - 20 million over 3- 4 years on a free agent to play the top line with Staal and Ruutu. I really would love to see Marion Gaborik sign here as the combo of Staal and Gaborik would no doubt boost Staal back to the 100 point mark.

Bottom line, the three guys that you will see in Carolina for a long time are Staal Ward and Gleason. They ain't leaving anytime soon.

Bottom line, the three guys that you will see in Carolina for a long time are Staal Ward and Gleason. They ain't leaving anytime soon.

Can we change our name to the Carolina Roaches then. Can't get rid of them?

Ward has been the best player on this team this year. I don't understand why people don't understand that games like these last two are not his fault. He is the sole reason we are even sniffing the playoffs at this point. The only possible game he cost us was the Edmonton game on the very soft goal at the end and there we only scored 1 goal, so no offensive help there. He is still young and he is only going to get better.

As far as Staal he is suffering without someone who can skate with him. I 100% supported the Cole for Pitkanen trade b/c Cole has not been the same since his injury but Cole could skate with Staal and the year Cole was healthy at his best, Staal got 100. The age of this team really affects Staal b/c people can't skate with him.

We really need to dump some salary by finding some stupid team to take Kaberle from us, not re-sign a few people and bring up some AHL guys to play the fourth line and spend 15 - 20 million over 3- 4 years on a free agent to play the top line with Staal and Ruutu. I really would love to see Marion Gaborik sign here as the combo of Staal and Gaborik would no doubt boost Staal back to the 100 point mark.

You are exactly right if we want to get all we can out of staal we need to get him a wing who can skate with him. If we have a star play with staal on the same line then it will help spread the defense out more and not have all their attention focused on staal. I hope Staal, Ward and Gleason stay here for a long time I dont want them to leave. I hope whitney finishes his career out here. I do however think it is time for Brind'amour and Walker to go. Walker has been hurt most of the season and he is kind of a waste on the payroll. I dont even think I need to say why Brind'amour needs to go.

You are exactly right if we want to get all we can out of staal we need to get him a wing who can skate with him. If we have a star play with staal on the same line then it will help spread the defense out more and not have all their attention focused on staal. I hope Staal, Ward and Gleason stay here for a long time I dont want them to leave. I hope whitney finishes his career out here. I do however think it is time for Brind'amour and Walker to go. Walker has been hurt most of the season and he is kind of a waste on the payroll. I dont even think I need to say why Brind'amour needs to go.

I have been calling for a winger to play with Staal all season. Gaborik is a BIG RISK, but he is the type of player who would bring punch to our top line. Seriously, the guys hips/groins may cut his career very short and the contract that he may get is probably going to be more risk than reward opportunity.

Both Staal and Ward are still developing. Both show flashes of brilliance, the question is can they harness that with consistency. I have commented before that Ward is, for now, an average statistical goalie with potential. Even if Ward is what he will be for his career now, he is good enough to be our starting goalie for years as I do not believe that a top 10 goalie is required to win the Cup (see Osgood), it is the team around the goalie.

If the organIzation is expecting Gleason to be the shutdown defender, I think that is looking for too much from him. He is better on a 2nd pairing. I would like to see a top pairing stay at home guy paired with Pitkanen for the future. Build around this core - Staal, Ward, Pits - for the next 2 seasons, bringing in a top line scoring winger and top pairing defender and see what happens. If the inconsistency remains consistent, then the core has to be culled.

I don't think we have the structure from the top down to make this team wake up. I agree with those saying we need leadership but I think it needs to come from the top. These guys make millions of dollars and the fans keep backing them by attending the games, even with a poor economy. The need to step up and play for the fans!!!

Style of play. I can call the play usually 8 times out of 10. We enter the zone, either dumping or down the boards, then we shot on goal from a long distance out or we pass the puck around the boards until the other team takes it away.

Discipline is another answer. We don't play like a "team". Our guys are circling the ice like ants that have lost their way. Stay the course and play your position! We have some players that can chase the puck but the rest need to go back to basics and set things up without looking for the highlight reel play.

One thing I hate to see is Staal try to make a play then once he looses the puck, about 95% of the time, he gives up! If he is going to try and split the defense, he needs to work on it at practice and get better stick control. He has started hitting and pushing in front of the crease but a "Super Star" talks with his play and not his aggression.

Cam needs to be replaced every 3-4 games. We are wearing him out!! Leighton needs his time on the ice to improve and become a NHL goalie. Plus, when we won the cup the starting goalie was pulled, due to injury yes, and the backup took us to the end. Well, now is the time for us to use the big guy and make him play better.

All-in-all, we need to restructure management, get a coach that will act like a coach, and make these guys understand that they are PRO's and not an AHL team. Here is my statement:

P - Play with heart!

L - Love the game and the fans

A - Attitude of a winning team

Y - Your future depends on your PLAY!

OK..I am off my soapbox! Now let's go win some games!!!!

I notice our ex-players, who all say they liked it here, play very well against us. Maybe we kept the wrong guys? Stillman, Recchi, Commodore, who else?

I miss the way Cole played. I mist the way Staal played when he had Cole.

Ward is not that good; he was good in the Stanley cup year, but ONLY in the playoffs; Gerber was the guy who got us there, was an every game goalie. Ward can't do it unless he plays part time.

I really think the injuries to Rod and Williams made them ineffective, and we don't have the firepower without them.

Agree with the Cullen Larose Ruutu comments above.

Let's get Tuuten (not sure the spelling) and pair him with Ruutu in the Ruutu-Tuuten line. heh.

Let's see...the team goes from scoring 7 goals and looking like it has finally turned the corner (for the 5,657,456th time of course) to scoring one goal in the next two games and just playing like ****.

So what's the problem?

Nothing. It's our team, our tradition. They've done this sort of stuff consistently for the past two seasons, even when we had a healthy captain and fast scoring team. There's something inherently wrong here...this just isn't new.

Think you just made it all make sense to me,,, Fallen_Apostle,"finally turned the corner (for the 5,657,456th time of course)"We are a stinkin NASCAR TEAM not a HOCKEY TEAM !!! Wow they have had me fooled for almost 3 years now!!!

I feel so much better now with the Daytona 500 this afternoon!!! GO CANES!!!!! ;):lol::P

Agree with the Cullen Larose Ruutu comments above.

Let's get Tuuten (not sure the spelling) and pair him with Ruutu in the Ruutu-Tuuten line. heh.

Thanks on the line. Not sure about a "Rootin-Tootin" line, the league already thinks we're hick now...

If the Canes are going to dance with who they brought for the rest of the year, then my idea is it is time for the coaching staff to hold players accountable. They all get paid salary regardless. Use TOI as the payment for performance. We have less than 1/3 of a season to go, you have to earn your ice time, period. Corvo is -7 the last two games, he needs to drop to the third pairing for now, earn his way back. If he continues to sputter, replace him for a night with Kabs and see if the press box helps him find his game. Here are my thoughts for lines for performance (without roster changes):

LaRose-Cullen-Ruutu

Whitney-Staal-Jokinen

Bayda-Sutter-Samsonov

Williams-Brind'Amour-Eaves

Pitkanen-Babchuk

Gleason-Seids

Wallin-Corvo

Ward

Leighton (play him every 5th or every 4th game, but keep Cam the clear starter.)

If Staal continues his poor play, he could drop, Sutter has outperformed him but may be too young for 2nd line TOI. The injured guy 4th line might not work. Placement of 3rd and 4th line wingers gave me the most difficulty, but this is what I came up with. So, these are my thoughts for shaking the tree by the coaches to get some emotion out of the team.

Clean out the house. I would rather take the route of the Blackhawks for the next 3 to 5 years and bring in some young energetic talent and hopefully watch them develope over the next few years. Knowing you are going to finish near the bottom is a lot better than the "tease" we keep getting from this team. Play just hard enough and good enough to finish in 9th or 10th spot. Bet Andrew Ladd has no ill feelings about being traded last year. And listening to Commadore last night i'm sure he has forgotten any bad feelings also. Bet Stillmans enjoying himself too.

Thanks on the line. Not sure about a "Rootin-Tootin" line, the league already thinks we're hick now...

If the Canes are going to dance with who they brought for the rest of the year, then my idea is it is time for the coaching staff to hold players accountable. They all get paid salary regardless. Use TOI as the payment for performance. We have less than 1/3 of a season to go, you have to earn your ice time, period. Corvo is -7 the last two games, he needs to drop to the third pairing for now, earn his way back. If he continues to sputter, replace him for a night with Kabs and see if the press box helps him find his game.

I like your thought of TOI as payment for performance, except I'd like to take it to a further extreme.

Poor performance not only reduces TOI but can wind up in a press box seat for a number of games, while you watch a hungry River Rat skate in your previous slot.

Lots a non-performing candidates lately ... Williams, Corvo, Eaves, Bayda, Brindy, Mo and even Ward.

Face it - this season is done. The team we just watched for the past 2 games can't compete with Buffalo Sunday night and then Boston Tuesday at the RBC, so we'll have another 4 game "L" streak. Make a statement and sit a group of non-performers for a while and bring back some of the top Rat prospects to play against NYI on 2/19 and Tampa on 2/20. Top it off by announcing Tom Rowe as head coach for the game those nights.

The last 2 home games were embarrasing ... near full house each night and the Canes don't show up.

Only enjoyment was to hear the "Mo must go again" chant in the third and the boo's at the end.

this team is painful for me to watch!!! no sence of urgency, cant bury the puck. lots of veterans who will not pay the price to win!! they won their cup and now just wanna finish their careers. ive been watching washington latley and love the way that team plays!! young, full of energey, exciting and full of enthusiasim. same for the last two nights with florida and columbus. two must win games and we got our butts kicked by a combined 10-1. carolina acts like they are going to a funeral!!! they also seem a step too slow this season, no speed to their rushes, not may odd man chances. let me ask you guys one thing, if you were gm would there be any players that are untouchable??? unload what you can as long as we get fair return for the goods. problem is with the cap not many teams can take on salaries.

My guess as to what is wrong with this team comes down the the chemistry or lack there of with the players we have on the ice. The team on the ice during the west coast trip was a higher energy team. That to me says bring back the 2 Rats Petruzalek and Rodney. Sit Brindy (to bad because he is playing better) and one of our D men. Put the lines back where they were against the Yotes. Lets find out if it makes a difference.

My guess as to what is wrong with this team comes down the the chemistry or lack there of with the players we have on the ice. The team on the ice during the west coast trip was a higher energy team. That to me says bring back the 2 Rats Petruzalek and Rodney. Sit Brindy (to bad because he is playing better) and one of our D men. Put the lines back where they were against the Yotes. Lets find out if it makes a difference.

This team is too slow and mechanical in style of play.

Hockey is a fast, dynamic game. Its not Ballet. More a young man's game than any sport (other than Soccer). Time for plenty of change before the trade deadline when we can shed.

(Insert picture of Fat Lady in full vocals).

this team is painful for me to watch!!! lots of veterans who will not pay the price to win!! they won their cup and now just wanna finish their careers.

I agree that the team is painful to watch. I disagree with you on the "just wanna fish their careers" comment. Whitney plays hard, Cullen usually plays hard. I just flat out think they aren't any good. No chemistry, limited skill, too small, aging bodies, lmediocre coaching, (etc).

We need an overhaul badly - from coaching staff (except for Barasso) all the way up. As others have said, that isn't going to happen because we can't afford it. So, my hope is we are able to offload Kaberle in the off-season, let LaRose and Bayda go, get rid of Samsonov (fun to watch but no production), retire Brindy, make Gleason captain (he's vocal and critical), get rid of Walker and see where we end up.

The Canes need a heart transplant; why is it the only times the Canes play with any sort of desire is when there are a couple or more of Rats on the team?

here is a piece from fox sports. if this dosent hit the nail on the head then nothing will!!

Carolina Hurricanes: A coaching change earlier this season has done little to improve the lot of the Hurricanes, who once again face the prospect of missing the playoffs. Their offense continues to sputter along while there's concern over a lack of defensive grit. With his club flirting with disaster, GM Jim Rutherford could once again swing some late-season deals to address these concerns but he might not have much to offer up this time to attract significant offers. He's tried unsuccessfully to move defenseman Frantisek Kaberle.

Nobody will like my answer:

I say ditch Staal and Ward.

I know they are faces here and won the Cup and all....I love them too. But they have reached a comfort level that they can't seem to shake...what else do they need to prove here? Trade them for some guys that want to prove something.

This is what I've been saying too. I mean it will be sad, but those guys are inconsistent slumpers and I'm sick of it. With all that money we could replace those two with a star goal scorer and goalie or just rebuild the whole team.. I can't beleive I'm saying this, but its just not working with those two..... it hasn't since we won the cup.

This is what I've been saying too. I mean it will be sad, but those guys are inconsistent slumpers and I'm sick of it. With all that money we could replace those two with a star goal scorer and goalie or just rebuild the whole team.. I can't beleive I'm saying this, but its just not working with those two..... it hasn't since we won the cup.

These guys are 24 now. Winning the Cup at 21 created unattainable expectations. If a team is staking all of its expectations on 24 yo's, even superstars, it is going to be let down. If the same inconsistency is there at 26 or 27 then it's time for them to see different scenery. The problem with the team is in the parts around these guys not playing well enough and Staal and Ward not being at the point yet when they can take the team on their back(s).

The key to your post, Wolf, is that alot of what you expect out of certain players is just not in their style of play and has never been. Rutherford knew that players like Babchuk, Jokinen, Pitkanen, and Samsonov were not physical players when he acquired them. You could also point to Rutherford as the reason why Sutter is in the NHL, when he probably could've used a year in the AHL for conditioning. Rutherford signed older veterans like Brind'Amour, Kaberle, and Wallin to lengthy contracts that weren't necessary. Rutherford forced Ward into the #1 goaltender position, in my opinion, before he was ready for it and I don't believe Ward's confidence has been the same since.

The sky is falling the sky is falling.

How dare all other teams in the NHL play better than us and not let us win every game.

I want a cup every year. I deserve it as a fan.

Fire JR.

PK sell the team.

Roddy go sit on a rocking chair.

Eric give up your salary and go back to your parents farm.

Foreign players go back to your countries.

Cam, Cam, Cam, you suck.

Let's see what else can I complain about becasue now I am spoiled becasue the team has only been here 11 years and I am a spoiled rotten fan base that throws everyone under the bus the second everything goes sour.

You know, I grew up a die hard Sabres fan. I moved down here when the team did and began watching them in Greensboro. ANd over time I gave up my beloved Sagres to become a crazed Caniac. I Have everthing Canes and have learned to hate the Sabres. I am embarrassed to see the drunken loud mouth fans that come to the RBC from BUffalo and make a joke of the great fan base Buffalo has. But one thing that is different in Buffalo. No matter win, or lose, year after year, the fans stick behind that team no matter what. They have never won a cup and they still each year sell out the building game after game. They cheer and they support.

But here, we demand to win. We are spoiled becasue we went one year and then we won one year. Give it a rest people. Ask Hartford what they would be doing. They never got a cup. I am sure they would be pleased with our team and would love to have our problems.

I too get frustrated with them not playing to their potential. They are better then the way they play. But firing everyone on the first set they loose is not the end. We might go till we are all dead and never see another Stanley Cup. Get used to that. That does not mean PK needs to sell the team or they need to leave Raleigh. That is professional sports. That is Hockey.

I was at the game last night and it was like a morge in there. I could hear conversations on the ice and I was in the third level. What happen to the noise. What happen to the loudest house in the NHL. Sure they have not given you a lot to cheer for, but maybe you have not cheered to give the players a lot to play for. Stick with your team. Win or lose. And stop being spoiled rotten brats.

I want my way I want my way.