The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

An Open Letter To Peter Karmanos

This is a pretty good game. Its up to the players to decide how this seaosn ends now.

The only problem is that we've seen these Hurricanes before, in Phoenix, and we saw how they followed up that performance. This roster could certainly sneak into the playoffs this year, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that this team WOULD NOT make it past the Bruins or Capitals in the first round.

I think the time is now to make the type of significant change that will impact the present and future of this franchise. I know alot of people are scared of the term "rebuild", but if we continue to ride players like Brind'Amour, Cullen, Kaberle, Walker, Wallin, and Whitney until they retire there will be a much more significant rebuild that will take place. The type of rebuild that nearly crippled teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Washington. At this point, I still think Karmanos and Rutherford have the opportunity to rebuild in the matter of one offseason and return next season with an improved roster that will translate into improved results.

and the signing of Captain Rod Brind A'Mour

Brind'Amour

I understand your frustration, but I like the moves JR has taken - for the most part. I think he has an eye for talent, especially talented guys who are underappreciated.

Sorry, if we're going to send a letter to Karmanos, it's going to have to include the phrase "Stop being so damn tight with your money" somewhere in it.

I was thinking of writing a letter along the same lines. Saying something like "until you start to spend some of your money, you will not get any of mine." I schedule group outings to games (all of which the Canes have lost mind you) and bring others with me to every game I go to. These are things I am no longer willing to do. If a team wants to compete, they have to spend to the cap....

Anyway, we can forget about him getting rid of JR. They've been friends for like, what, 30 years? Won't happen.

I too am not that upset with JR. We have the talent here. He can not play for them. I think he has done a good job here. There are other teams in the league that sometimes will and can have better teams. This is why you do not see that many back to back Stanley Cup winners. And again, there are a lot of teams and fans that would love to be in our position. There are worse organizations. Plus, yes we do have a cup. Something others can not say.

Look at Pittsburg. A lot of talent there and they are below us in the standings. Sometimes you just can not always win.

A agree Brind'Amour had not played his best hockey. Age, injury, whatever. But the last few years we all, yes we all, thought he was a god and wanted him around forever. That is why he was signed. It is funny that everyone calls for his head. He has played tough, hurt, and fought for this team. Which is exactly what a Captain should do. I admit he has hurt the team at times, but he is still the Captain and that is what you want.

Everyone cries when ever a player on our team gets traded. But for some reason everyone wants to throw Jim under the bus. Who do you want? Who can do better? Who can put the level of talent that we have on the team together for what little money he can offer. NO ONE. So until he makes a bad trade, which in my opinion he has not had any, he remains GM. I am sure glad people like Samsonov and Ruutu do not read this board. AS much as you all blasted JR for getting those guys and now they are staples here.

Relax people.

PK, If you read that post, I am with JR.

I'm sorry dude but I do not think most fans agree with you...How can you blame JR when PK ties one of his hands behind his back by not letting him spend money on top tier UFA talent? That is basically what a self imposed spending budget below the salary cap is doing to him.

I too personalty think JR is a good and smart GM. It is easy to get frustrated when the team is not doing well but I do not think most of the blame can be put on JR.

Take me off your list. As frustrated as I get with this team I am reminded of the other team I support, the Atlanta Falcons. I started watching when I was nine years old and that was 41 years ago, with only a couple of Division championships, one NFC championship, and one appearance in the Super Bowl, which we lost. But every year, I get excited about the upcoming season and support MY team. Here in small town Raleigh, we have won a CUP in only 10 years, and I have to say, that Game 7 final was the most exciting sports moment I have ever attended in my adult life, and I have been to Super Bowls, World Series, etc, etc. IMO, I think you are dead on wrong suggesting Mr. Rutherford has failed in his job since coming to Carolina. In fact, just ask the Predators, the Blue Jackets, and the Panthers fans what it would feel like to win a CUP in their small market, in just 10 years. As fans, I would rather give them the business while on the ice (why are we so afraid to BOO this team) rather than some "letter to the editor".

JR has some flaws, like some bad years drafting, which can be blamed on a lack of scouts (*Cough* PK's budget), and rushing prospects to fill in roster spots (*Cough* PK's budget). But come on you really think replacing him is going to fix this team? Despite missing the playoff last year's team was still the second best it had ever been since coming to Raleigh.

I'm not saying he does no wrong but I just don't see the Canes finding a suitable replacement.

id love to see what JR could do with the Rangers or Leafs after a couple of years, he'd probably be dead before the dynasty ended.

Agreed. JR with those coffers could do some damage. With PKs tight purse strings, the Canes will make the playoffs once every 4 or 5 years in a league where more than half of the teams go to the post-season. Pathetic, but not JRs fault.

JR signed many horrible contracts during last few years. Karmanos, well he is simply Karmanos.

I recommend everyone reading latest Luke DeCock blog entry about the latest Karmanos misadventures.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/mr-second-chances''>http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/mr-second-chances' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/mr-second-chances[/post]

Sorry, but I dont see what Luke's latest attempt at throwing digs out to Karmanos has to do with the Canes right now. I think Luke has his own agenda and is trying to stir up the fans to push it. Just my opinion.

Compuware is in Detroit and who they hire has no effect on the Canes performance.

JR signed many horrible contracts during last few years. Karmanos, well he is simply Karmanos.

I recommend everyone reading latest Luke DeCock blog entry about the latest Karmanos misadventures.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/mr-second-chances''>http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/mr-second-chances' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/decock/mr-second-chances[/post]

I agree with the comments to the article. Sounds more like Luke has some sour grapes in his basket.

I can't believe the comments about PK being tight, do none of you realize our market can't support that?? If he double ticket prices and EVERYONE bought into that and paid them then sure, we would spend to the cap every year!! The MONEY just isn't there!!

For those that are STH'ers and others that simply go to a game here and a game there: Ask yourselves if ticket prices were double would you still go to as many games??

If PK had twice the revenue coming in he wouldn't think twice of spending to the cap or at least close (I can see leaving a cushion for the trade deadline).

good point. we had a rep visit us in greenville with an amzing offer - for $40....free tickets, buy 1 get 1 free deals...he told us on the side that they are just trying to get people in seats...

We'll be there...more than usual

...Be sure to check out my post on ECU hockey this weekend ( 2/20-2/22 )

I can't believe the comments about PK being tight, do none of you realize our market can't support that?? If he double ticket prices and EVERYONE bought into that and paid them then sure, we would spend to the cap every year!! The MONEY just isn't there!!

I'm not saying that PK has to spend to the cap, but if you're going to lash out at the job JR has done you have to consider his resources, which are in part determined by how PK runs his business. The salary budget for on the ice is one thing but skipping out on investments like scouts is detrimental to the team in the long run.

Some of the contracts the canes are saddled with are in part because of the budget. JR knows he needs to have players who are "deals" at the end of their contracts to make it work, which can make for a bad contract if the guy goes down hill after buying high. Case in point: if the NHL is wide open, without a lot of contact, and lots of penalties are called someone like Kaberle looks like an asset you want to lock up for a few years because his price will go up over time. Now hind sight says that deal was terrible but there is definitely an argument to be made for that signing given its context.

On balance I think that JR has done a good job with what he has to work with. Two Stanley Cup finals is not just luck. That said, there was some luck to it and this team really should have made the playoffs the last two years. Probably not gone deep, but at least made the playoffs. This is the nadir of JR's tenure in my mind. He needs to turn this ship around and he has not been able to do it for the past two years going on three. If we end up missing the playoffs...I would reconsider my pro JR stance for this reason:

Something is wrong with the way this team has responded to it's leadership ever since winning the cup, and JR has failed to remedy this. He has tried, and had the "anwser" handed to him last and this year, but fails to see it.

He decided to largely stand pat the post cup year with a few minor non moves. Wrote it off to injuries and cup letdown. Probably fair.

But last year was not acceptable. The swoon this team went though was not reasonable for the level of talent. This team won the Stanely Cup for goodness sake. (Yes it was a down year, yes we figured the rules out first (to JR and Lavi's credit), but a bad team does not win the Stanley Cup). So JR tried several moves and added some new faces, traded some top players. Didn't really work so he pulled the trigger on the biggie and fired the coach. None of it has worked. The problem with this team lies elsewhere and JR is ultimately responsible for finding and fixing it. He has not done it. I thought he finally had done it. But no.

This team should make the playoffs comfortably. The team that beat SanJose and crushed Phoenix on the road is in there. They just need to come out more regularly. Not every game as some love to say, but most every game. It is not happening. My assessment of JR is reserved until we are either out or in the playoffs this year. With our most recent moves I am frankly skeptical. I hold out a fan's hope though. JR has earned that.

I disagree with the letter. JR is great, most of his questionable moves work out in the end(babchuck). I like Maurice and Francis behind the bench. the team has improved a lot since those two took over. Our line up has the ability, but the players can't find the back of the net. Thats not JR's fault.

If Staal,Williams,Samsonov,Brindy,Cullen,Eaves,and even whitney would score up to there potential, we would be in the top 8 no problem.

Your letter makes it sound like we are in last place this year. WE have been in a playoff spot most of the year, and now we have fallen a little but it actually makes every game a little more interesting. I do think next year we're gonna have to make big moves and JR will do it. But for now, if the canes could find it in themselves to play like they did against buffalo, were gonna make the playoffs. If they don't, than thats nobodys fault but the players.

I have to echo the others here. Karmanos handcuffs the GM with his budget. We are a middling team in middle of the standings with an average payroll. I would not attend more games if ticket prices went up. Duh. But there is no doubt they will make more money if we get to the playoffs (more games that I WOULD attend), so maybe we will find an impact rent-a-player here toward the final run. (I don't think Jokinen is that player). The playoffs make it all worth while in the end.

I have to echo the others here. Karmanos handcuffs the GM with his budget. We are a middling team in middle of the standings with an average payroll. I would not attend more games if ticket prices went up. Duh. But there is no doubt they will make more money if we get to the playoffs (more games that I WOULD attend), so maybe we will find an impact rent-a-player here toward the final run. (I don't think Jokinen is that player). The playoffs make it all worth while in the end.

you can't bet on the playoffs and if you aren't willing to pay higher ticket prices then you have to accept the current self imposed cap. You just can't spend money you just don't have (U.S. Government excluded).

you can't bet on the playoffs and if you aren't willing to pay higher ticket prices then you have to accept the current self imposed cap. You just can't spend money you just don't have (U.S. Government excluded).

I am willing to pay higher ticket prices for a team that makes the playoffs. Since 05/06 we had a raise in ticket prices, but no playoff appearances :angry:

I am willing to pay higher ticket prices for a team that makes the playoffs. Since 05/06 we had a raise in ticket prices, but no playoff appearances :angry:

Are you a STH?